Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice Of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

eternal wrote: »
    HELLO LIKE
    Kathryn treated bressie so condescending, seriously.

"GOOD FOR YOU!!!!"
    "Why thank you. :) I've been doing this for about 10 years."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I wouldn't want my child looking at Kathryn Thomas, for a start. But if your kids are malleable enough to copy words off the tv (after hearing them only once), you need to cop them on a bit. Throwaway comment, get over it.

:confused:
    When you're presenting live on tv it's your job not to use throwaway comments that include words that are not nice.

A child could have heard it already in the playground, have been told not to use it and then suddenly hears it on a Sunday night primetime family viewing slot. Any child, malleable or not, would surely think well why shouldn't I use that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Jesus. Favourites? How fecking awkward is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

RTE just received a tweet pretending to be from Sinn Fein stating that Kevin got through to the next round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

HELLO LIKE
    Kathryn treated bressie so condescending, seriously.

"GOOD FOR YOU!!!!"
    "Why thank you. :) I've been doing this for about 10 years."
    Im going to do her in, no lie.
    He looked so sheepish too
    Oh and the ' i did honours irish for my leaving cert'
    Yeah so did a lot of people who actually used it and didnt go around looking dopey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

How in the name of jaysus is Kim safe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nollaig let her guard down there and forgot to do her "oh I'm so nervous and shy me" act :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

RTE just received a tweet pretending to be from Sinn Fein stating that Kevin got through to the next round.

I bet they are telling Kathryn Thomas what questions to ask as well.. ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sorry fell asleep there with the excitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"I'm so glad it's between you two, you both deserve to be in this position ..."

• Advertisement

Sharon's ass looked well there.

"I have to ask you to leave the stage"

**** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I hate this public vote bullish!t. No way in hell Kim should have gone through.

I bet they are telling Kathryn Thomas what questions to ask as well.. ;-)
    and kathryn thomas looks like a transsexual.
    Shes really bugging me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sharon and Fauve everybody... hmm .. I'll be thinking about them together later on ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Say what you like about Kian, but he doesn't bullshít like the rest of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

amdublin wrote: »
    When you're presenting live on tv it's your job not to use throwaway comments that include words that are not nice.

A child could have heard it already in the playground, have been told not to use it and then suddenly hears it on a Sunday night primetime family viewing slot. Any child, malleable or not, would surely think well why shouldn't I use that word.

Children are gonna say 'bad words'. It's gonna happen. Getting uptight about other people saying it isn't gonna help anything. Being there to explain to your kids what words are appropriate or not (in your estimation as a parent) is infinitely more beneficial than moaning whenever a naughty word is said on tv. Teaching kids is better than sheltering them. Any parent worth their salt (and not of the "it's madness Joe!" mentality) knows this.

Incidentally, 'douche' isn't a bad word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sharon and Fauve everybody... hmm .. I'll be thinking about them together later on ..

oh yes.

Don't just stand there, let's get to it, Fauve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Kyle was a surprise to go out early.........again.:rolleyes:

Say what you like about Kian, but he doesn't bullshít like the rest of them!
    Are you for real? That was the worst choice ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Are you for real? That was the worst choice ever.

Liked the American guy. He wasn't amazing tonight ...

Don't like Kian Egan in general, but like the way he doesn't do the usual rubbish, and just says it like it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

It's bang out of order for her to be using language like this on a family show.

I don't use language like this and neither do my family or friends. I don't want to hear it on a Sunday evening when I watch TV.

Children are gonna say 'bad words'. It's gonna happen. Getting uptight about other people saying it isn't gonna help anything. Being there to explain to your kids what words are appropriate or not (in your estimation as a parent) is infinitely more beneficial than moaning whenever a naughty word is said on tv. Teaching kids is better than sheltering them. Any parent worth their salt (and not of the "it's madness Joe!" mentality) knows this.

It was a inappropriate use of the word and highly derogatory towards the guy in the back studio.

Douche - when used in it's strict medicinal definition is of course not a bad word.
    Used as a term of abuse against someone it is certainly not a nice word.

Incidentally do you know what douching is most commonly used for or refers to? While it is used to describe the washing out of any bodily orifice it generally refers to the washing out of the vagina.

And you're okay with your child using this??? Sure. Next time you hear your child calling you or anyone else a "douche" come back and confirm that to me.

Ps. So not only does one have to teach your child about words they hear in the playground, one now has to deal with tv presenter making "throwaway comments" insulting their fellow presenters???
    And this is acceptable in your eyes??

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Fauve gone home! Disgrace. Best singer tonight.

Guramoogah wrote: »

And your personal opinion of Kathryn's use of the word on live tv Guramoogah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Douche - when used in it's strict medicinal definition is of course not a bad word.
    Used as a term of abuse against someone it is certainly not a nice word.

Sure. But anything used as a term of abuse against someone is not nice.
    Incidentally do you know what douching is most commonly used for or refers to? While it is used to describe the washing out of any bodily orifice it generally refers to the washing out of the vagina.

Yes, I did know that and no, that doesn't frighten or annoy me. Women have vaginas. That's not something that children need to be protected from.
    And you're okay with your child using this??? Sure. Next time you hear your child calling you or anyone else a "douche" come back and confirm that to me.

Again I say, if you're not happy with your child using certain words, all it takes is to explain to them why you feel that way.

Ps. So not only does one have to teach your child about words they hear in the playground, one now has to deal with tv presenter making "throwaway comments" insulting their fellow presenters???
    And this is acceptable in your eyes??

Well boo-douching-hoo, the parents might need to do some active parenting once in a while!

The Voice of Ireland on RTE was not the time or place for Kathryn Thomas to be using this word and in the capacity she used it.

• Advertisement

Sure. But anything used as a term of abuse against someone is not nice.

Yes, I did know that and no, that doesn't frighten or annoy me. Women have vaginas. That's not something that children need to be protected from.

Again I say, if you're not happy with your child using certain words, all it takes is to explain to them why you feel that way.

Well boo-douching-hoo, the parents might need to do some active parenting once in a while!

You're a Douche.

Disclaimer. I'd never ever ever call someone on Boards this word. But this poster has been very explicit that they have no problem with this word

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement