Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 just died - YLOD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good stuff! At least your data can be salvaged, all those hours of gaming have not been wasted :D Keep us updated with how long a reprieve you get.

thanks man, Will do!

Balls anyway! Got it back tonight, turns onf fine but won't detect either of my wireless joypads. Once I connect USB cable, it connects okay. I managed to backup all my data but not sure what to do now. As soon as I pull out usb cable, joypad goes dead, same on the other one. I can't use the usb cable cuz its really short and I use my ps3 in the sitting room, sitting about 8 feet back. sickner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Balls anyway! Got it back tonight, turns onf fine but won't detect either of my wireless joypads. Once I connect USB cable, it connects okay. I managed to backup all my data but not sure what to do now. As soon as I pull out usb cable, joypad goes dead, same on the other one. I can't use the usb cable cuz its really short and I use my ps3 in the sitting room, sitting about 8 feet back. sickner.

There is a pinhole in your controller used to reset it.
    Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Or go to xtravision an get a 3 meter cable for a tenner, that's what I have, so much easier since I only have 1 controller an charge it while I play. Its handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

It looks like your Wifi/Bluetooth Board! Did you have Wireless Internet Connection. Could be as simple as reassembly error!

• Advertisement

I'll try that pinhole thing later after work. It looks like the bluetooth of the PS3 just stopped working so I figured it might have been a reassembly issue alright. Gonna look up where the bluetooth card is on the PS3. The WIFI connected fine when it booted up.

All fails, i'll go for that 3 metre cable. Sound lads.

After some Googling, I find this can happen after opening a PS3 as the ribbon that connects the Bluetooth board to the motherboard can be finicky. Hope thats all thats wrong with it, gonna open it up tonight and have a look.

Just got my PS3 working again,YLOD solved! See how long it survives, it was nearly in the bin last week so happy days, can at least back up my data :)

congrats man! this should be called the ps3 resurrection thread!

Right well after an hour of messing round with it, still no BT. I watched a reassembly vid on youtube and he said if BT doesn't working after taking it apart, then 99% of the time, a ribbon was forgotten to be connected to the motherboard from the daughterboard, and so it was. I connected it securely but BT still not working. Opened it a few more times to check all connections and everything is secure but no luck.

WIFI is working fine tho. So can anyone tell me if the daughterboard runs the WIFI and Bluetooth? and if so, would that mean its not the board at fault since its just the BT not working?

Head wrecked tonight, will give another go in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

Hey peeps, my ps3 got the YLOD a week and a half ago.I brought it to Console pros last tuesday.The guy said he'd have it fixed that evening. Then i got a text from him saying that the first attempt of a fix failed.I called him and he said he'd try again which he was half way through last time i was talking to him.He told me he'd call when he had news, but i didn't hear from him on friday, so I'm now waiting until monday for some (hopefully good) news.I'll let you know how it goes.75€ for the fix(haven't paid him yet btw).So it will definitely be worth it as opposed to the €130 sony want to give you a refurb!!

Ok well fixed the Bluetooth, black lock wasn't fully closed on the ribbon. Then found the blu ray drive wouldn't accept any disks. Opened it again and saw the power cable for the drive was shredded a bit. Looks like it was under a screw hole and a screw shredded the cables. Absolutely sick of it so I bought a 320gb Slim with Black Ops bundle in HMV today for 309 euro (a 120gb with no game was 299) Anyway, I traded my black ops, la noire and they let me trade in the bundled black ops as well and i got nearly 90 euro off so at least that was something.

Just in the process of transferring data directly from the old ps3 to the new one by ethernet (very handy feature added in one of the updates)

Gonna keep the old one for spare parts (if they can be used in the slim or sell them on ebay or something.

Such a pity after the ylod was fixed (temporarily or not) for me to damage a power cable but at least i have some peace and mind with the new system.

Thanks for all the advice given lads, was much appreciated!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Gonna keep the old one for spare parts

Get a caddy and make the 60GB hdd an external one once you've transferred your data over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Did that for my 120 GB when I subbed it out to make way for a 320 GB. Will do the same when I upgrade to a 1TB when I eventually have to upgrade. Am 23GBs off at this stage :o

It's a great way of keeping data though. But I've so many external HDD at this stage I have no idea what's on what... although I do have one dedicated to backing up the PS3.

Such a pity after the ylod was fixed (temporarily or not) for me to damage a power cable but at least i have some peace and mind with the new system.
    That will keep you going until the PS4 or the next YLOD :D Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FunkeeFresh

Just got YLOD yesterday on a second hand 60GB that I've had for a year. Playing Infamous 2, glitch happened in the game, then..... BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

Sickened at this stage! No money for a new one, so I'm going for a DIY Reflow and Repaste of thermal compound. Should be doing it this week once the parts arrive...

I'm moving away in 6 months anyway, so if I got a decent reflow done to last me til then, I'd be happy.

Still, it's the 3rd PS3 that's broken on me but the first YLOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

Same happened here with 60GB model that I've had since launch, was playing Infamous that I downloaded as part of the PSN Welcome Back offer on the weekend and it died mid game :(
    Reflow done and some thermal paste added. Working fine again! Ya, no guarantees but at least I can back up my data and play some games again while saving a bit of cash for a rainy day.

Did you do this yourself or send it off to be repaired? If yourself then what steps did you follow? Is it simply a case of removing the heatsink and holding a heatgun over the motherboard so the chips can re-seat themselves in their sockets?

Tbh, I'd be happy enough to get it back to a state where I can backup the HDD onto an external drive. Luckily my media is elsewhere and it's only game saves! It was handy for streaming vids too but luckily there's a guy I know selling a WD TV Live that can take over that function.

Did you do this yourself or send it off to be repaired? If yourself then what steps did you follow? Is it simply a case of removing the heatsink and holding a heatgun over the motherboard so the chips can re-seat themselves in their sockets?
    I used the Gilksy method, using the heat gun and it worked just fine. The PS3 has been working for over a week at normal use and i got my data backed up so anything more is a bonus really.

Just used the gilsky method too and it worked!!! Got a rented game out of the drive so I'm delighted as it is!

Going to start putting money away too for a new one, but I'd be happy if it lasted til the end of summer at least.

Did you do this yourself or send it off to be repaired?

One of the lads I know fixes them. He was working on 2 of them in the same night. He fixed my YLOD but the other one still wouldn't work so it's not a definite fix by any means.

If you are gonna try yourself, check out youtube and searc 'ps3 ylod fix' A great 3 part video on their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

Done exactly that last night and watched the 6 or 7 part video that glisky has up on youtube starting with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&playnext=1&list=PLBB360EBB0185C3D8

Seems straightforward enough tbh. Question now is where to pick up a decent heatgun! The one the glisky uses in the vids seems a high end piece of kit.
    Just used the gilsky method too and it worked!!!
    Would you have a link to the same heat gun that you used?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

I just fixed my 60gb model from the ylod a few days ago cost me about 50 euro to but the thermal paste (get good thermal paste) and a heatgun (any cheap one will do u will only need it for 5 mins (you could even get it from argos and return it the next day))
    its rather easy to do just take the ps3 apart you will need a torque screwdriver (i forget what size probable and 8 or a 10) or u can use a small flat head for that one screw. Then the rest of them are just normal phillips heads. and just keep taking it apart until u get the heatsink off (now is a good opportunity to take a hover to it and get all dust out of ur ps3) then clean off all the old thermal paste you can buy a special product to clean that stuff (i used a tissue and vodka and it worked fine) then get the heatgun and heat up the 2 processors (i did a circular movement over the both of them for about 3 mins) and wait for it to cool (but if its still a bit warm it makes getting the thermal paste on easier) apply a thin layer of thermal paste all over the 2 processors i used my bank card to do this (also you want a really thin but even layer over the the processors try not to use to much) and then put the heatsink back on and put it all back together.
    (make sure the ps3 has cooled from the heatgun before u turn it on)
    and then hopefully your ps3 will now work.
    then just try to keep ur ps3 in a open and cool area (the ps3 will heat up the area around it quickly and will cause the ylod again thats why it needs a open area, so try not to keep it in an enclosed tv cabinet)
    Hope this helps

Would you have a link to the same heat gun that you used?

Cheers

Got mine off ebay for 40 with free postage. Arrived in a day! Here's the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Gutted mine just y'lod. Something for me to do tomorrow :(. Last time i did reflow was few days after xmas so it lasted a good time.

So, anyone know of any good deals going for slims?? Would be handy for those looking for a new console!

So, anyone know of any good deals going for slims?? Would be handy for those looking for a new console!

Well I got my Slim in HMV in the Black Ops bundle. A 160gb with no game is 299 euro. For an extra tenner, The black ops bundle is a 320gb slim with black ops game and First Strike DLC voucher for 309 euro. HMV let you trade black ops straight away against the bundle (I think 24 euro trade in value)

Well I got my Slim in HMV in the Black Ops bundle. A 160gb with no game is 299 euro. For an extra tenner, The black ops bundle is a 320gb slim with black ops game and First Strike DLC voucher for 309 euro. HMV let you trade black ops straight away against the bundle (I think 24 euro trade in value)

That's daycent!!! Since the RRP of a 160GB is 299. Urgh!! The thought of putting 300 into ANOTHER playstation tho!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Watch this video.

Who in there right mind would buy a heat gun for 50 euro, when you can have it REPAIRED correctly for not much more!!

Guess at least you could easily remove paint from base boards :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOL-qjRo0k

Watch this video.

Who in there right mind would buy a heat gun for 50 euro, when you can have it REPAIRED correctly for not much more!!

Guess at least you could easily remove paint from base boards :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOL-qjRo0k

I sent ye an email for a reball quote, never got a reply. And not everyone lives in Dublin, so then add 50 for postage alone. Reballing services are hard come by and usually €100+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

Update from my previous post

Unfortunately for me, the guys couldn't fix my YLOD problem.it wasn't anything to do with the solder joints coming undone or anything to do with the GPU. The chip was fried in mine, so that pretty much f*cks my ps3 over.Even sony will not take that back now.Guess i'll have to save for a new slim or sumtin. Unlucky that mine was one of the 1/10 ps3's that can't be fixed!dang it.

Advertisement