Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 just died - YLOD

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Keith186

I haven't got the YLOD yet but the fan sounds like a jet engine after using the system for a little while.

Its steadily getting worse i.e. coming on quicker and quicker every time I use it. Is this what happens before the ylod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Sounds like the thermal paste on the cooling parts has deteriorated so the fan has to compensate for the abnormal heat, Sony is known for putting crap thermal paste on PS3s, it is either that or too much dust has built up inside the console. It's not really a sign of YLOD but not good for the console either I would get it looked as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

justryan wrote: »
    Sounds like the thermal paste on the cooling parts has deteriorated so the fan has to compensate for the abnormal heat, Sony is known for putting crap thermal paste on PS3s,

I can second that. When I opened up my 40gig to reflow, the paste was dry and uneven (to the extent that some of the surface of the chip was completely bare).

I feel like saying to people; as soon as your console is out of warranty, open it up and reapply a top quality paste, which really doesnt cost anything. But I know the risk can seem unacceptable to prevent something which MIGHT happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

justryan wrote: »
    Sounds like the thermal paste on the cooling parts has deteriorated so the fan has to compensate for the abnormal heat, Sony is known for putting crap thermal paste on PS3s,

I can second that. When I opened up my 40gig to reflow, the paste was dry and uneven (to the extent that some of the surface of the chip was completely bare).

I feel like saying to people; as soon as your console is out of warranty, open it up and reapply a top quality paste, which really doesnt cost anything. But I know the risk can seem unacceptable to prevent something which MIGHT happen.

I recommend arctic silver 5 thermal paste this is much more consistent and transfers heat much better between the heat sink and the plates attached to the fan. If your not confident with opening the console or you don't want to void your warranty you can also try a fan test to get rid of excess dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

UPDATE: YLOD for the 3rd time since begin of August re-flowed her again but after an hour of gaming the power supply is "red hot" even with out the top part of the casing replaced yet. Time for a replacement while I can still transfer my data. 160 GB model has come down in price, HMV had it for €199 this weekend, Argos is €229 Amazon €208 approx so no too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Koded_AR_Rose

i have had 2 ylods and i fixed the first one myself (youtube tuts) but tbh its easier to get someone to repair it because (for me anyway) the repairman provided his own warranty i.e he fixed it a few times until it stayed working all for the one price think it was 80 euro at the time. That was last november and its been working fine since then. In relation to your saves you can try swapping the hardrive into another ps3 and saving them to usb to transfer them

UPDATE: YLOD for the 3rd time since begin of August re-flowed her again but after an hour of gaming the power supply is "red hot" even with out the top part of the casing replaced yet. Time for a replacement while I can still transfer my data. 160 GB model has come down in price, HMV had it for €199 this weekend, Argos is €229 Amazon €208 approx so no too bad.

Well lad did you try putting some artic silver (thermal compound) around it i realise its the power supply but it could help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

In relation to your saves you can try swapping the hardrive into another ps3 and saving them to usb to transfer them

Won't work. Your PS3 hard drive will only work in YOUR PS3. You can't read it from ANY other device in the world unless you format it.

It's apart of Sony security. All drives are encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well lad did you try putting some artic silver (thermal compound) around it i realise its the power supply but it could help ...

Thermal paste doesn't do any thing by itself, it's meant to reduce contact resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    Thermal paste doesn't do any thing by itself, it's meant to reduce contact resistance.

Correct, and adding it in the wrong quantites & places can actually have a negative effect.

• Advertisement

my hdmi out was causing mine to over heat and in relation to the paste i realise you use it in moderation but i didnt imply that you fill your console with it ... just the affected area ... apologies if it rubbed some of you the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does anyone still have a launch 60gb model?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

yeah i have got an original ...

it got ylod....(repaired by local computer repairs)

then it wouldnt light up out one day (power button not lighting) ....

i noticed some broken connections on the powerbutton board and the ribbon cables were in bad shape ...

it seemed to me that the guy who fixed it must have been rough with the components while fixing it ....

so i got a new powerbutton/eject board for it and a few ribbon cables (ebay) and put them back in and its been slugging away since then....

(every few months i give it a clean as i am paranoid about dust leading to it happening again)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Yep working great, no longer has 60GB in it but still has that great BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I got what I think is a launch day 60GB? Does it have 4 USB ports and the flip up panel with the memory cards inside?

Over past few days got two broken PS3 consoles, one 80GB and the other 60GB. The Blu-ray drive will not read discs in both and that is fine as I only want it to use Vidzone and download the odd game demo. Network is working fine as well as PSN and store. The thing is any game or application will download and install fine but when I try to launch it freezes on the black screen just after it displays the resolution values?? HDD flickers for a few seconds initially and then nothing?? The same thing happens both PS3's??

Tried using composite cable and done full format on both but no joy. Tried different controllers. Any ideas? This happened to anyone else before?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 29,470 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I gave my old PS3 to my bro but have a quick question. I damaged a cable putting the thing back together and the Blu Ray dirve is not recognised any more. A guy said even a new drive wouldn't work because of the cable damaged thats connected to the motherboard. Anyway, he's not pushed about the drive and will download games from psn but PS3 is forcing the updates. However, it gets stuck on a certain update to do with the blu ray drive and won't install so he can't get online. Anyone know to bypass this update or force it on anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Had a similar problem with a PS3 I had. The Bluray drive was bust but I had thought I could play games and app downloaded from PSN but they always crashed at a black screen! I was able to update to the latest firmware without it getting stuck like yours though.

Apparently the Bluray drive and it's logic board are the key to all this.

Advertisement