Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobbiest comment you've ever heard?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

And what's with the 'oh, it was very expensive' lark? Anyone else come across this?

I like your dress.
    Oh it was very expensive.

Mother telling me some story about her son's 'leather' (wow) football
    It was very expensive

Asking someone in art class about their very effective rubber/eraser and wondering where to get same.
    They're very expensive.
    (Riiight, are you telling me I can't afford a rubber or that I'll have to save up for it or something? Is that what you're really saying?)

WTF? Why do some people feel they have to let me know this?

Anyone got a good comeback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

I went to college with a girl called Emily who came out with them daily

Once she stayed overnight in our flat on Dorset St [northside Dublin]. She was acting like it was Beirut or something :eek: I think she was surprised to survive the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Degringola wrote: »

A swift punch in the face sorts most people out!! :D

I went to a quite snobby school - Victoria College in Belfast - I remember getting a lift home once, to my terraced house - one of the girls in the car was open mouthed and said "Do you live down there where are those little houses look the same?"
    We weren't little girls, we were about 16 at the time... nice eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

brummytom wrote: »
    About two or three years ago, I was at a friend's house in a...erm... let's say 'not very posh' part of Birmingham. (Think northside Dublin).

Well, this is the snobbiest thing I've read in a long while.

NORTHSIDE FOREVER!!!

• Advertisement

BelindaL wrote: »
    Work colleague; I really like your jumper.... its lovely, really suits you.

Me (delighted as it was a bargain); Jezz, thanks, cant beat penny's only cost me a few quid!

Work colleague; Oh right, ...... I wouldn't wear anything from penny's!

Me (under my breath); get over yourself you snob.

In fairness, Penney's clothes are terrible quality no matter what they look like. A false economy. I never buy from there for that reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have some lovely stuff from penneys that nobody could believe was from penneys as they were so nice.
    You just have to be selective.

In fairness, Penney's clothes are terrible quality no matter what they look like. A false economy. I never buy from there for that reason.
    I've had some nice stuff from there, oi you! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have some lovely stuff from penneys that nobody could believe was from penneys as they were so nice.

Naw man, everything from pennies is serious tack. There is a reason it's right next door to McDonalds. My policy is best. If it isn't an Armani suit, it isn't worth wearing:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ok well i'll stick with my pretty clothes from penneys...

• Advertisement

Oh, don't get me wrong, Penney's has some lovely clothes to look at, I just find they don't stand up well to washing and the stitching and thread used are pretty bad. I like my clothes to last.

i guess they can be, but when you look at stuff like a-wear it's not much better either. Best stuff I like from Next though :)

anyway, I don't think I'm being snobby enough so I better stop :pac:

Thats true bluewolf. You could even mix and match Penneys with expensive stuff to make a really posh looking outfit, and nobody could tell the difference.

i guess they can be, but when you look at stuff like a-wear it's not much better either. Best stuff I like from Next though :)

Next is good quality. A-Wear is ok-ish but I haven't shopped there in yonks.

I think Topshop is very overpriced for the quality of the clothes.

Next aren't as good as they used to be? i.m.o. they've gone downmarket. I've seen some suspiciously polyester - looking jumpers in there recently *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love the cloths in Next, not too expensive and looks great and stylish. guy as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Heheh I know, but then people starting saying I drink blood and **** like that, which is not funny at all. :(
    ah i take comments like that as a compliment, helps that i find that look really attractive myself tbh :D

I've had some nice stuff from there, oi you! :mad:

Again, I didn't say the clothes weren't pretty, I just think they are crap quality. It's nothing to do with snobbishness. :)

Again, I didn't say the clothes weren't pretty, I just think they are crap quality. It's nothing to do with snobbishness.
    Fair enough Oenska - but I have Penney's jumpers over a decade old and they have held up well. However I have shopped a lot more at Penneys than you, probably? Well I'm a fan anyway. Lets agree to differ :D Where do you buy from mostly?

Fair enough Oenska - but I have Penney's jumpers over a decade old and they have held up well. However I have shopped a lot more at Penneys than you, probably? Well I'm a fan anyway. Lets agree to differ Where do you buy from mostly?

Hmmm, let me think... my clothes are mostly from A-Wear, Topshop, River Island, Dunnes, Miss Selfridge, Asos, New Look, Oasis etc. etc. No designers threads, I'm afraid! :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmmm, let me think... my clothes are mostly from A-Wear, Topshop, River Island, Dunnes, Miss Selfridge, Asos, New Look, Oasis etc. etc. No designers threads, I'm afraid! :pac:
    Oooh that where I shop also. Penneys are on my same buyng list too though. It all depnds what you see - I guess thats what makes us girls different? Now thats a s snobbish comment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I tend to buy my clothes at shaws, arnotts, river island or pennys. To be honest I find one as good as the other. I think fashion sense plays a bigger part in looking good rather than where you buy your clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Oooh that where I shop also. Penneys are on my same buyng list too though. It all depnds what you see - I guess thats what makes us girls different? Now thats a s snobbish comment :P

Nothing wrong with penny's, one wash and it's in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

when the fúck did this become a fashion thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Good question I thought it was about D4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Degringola wrote: »
    And what's with the 'oh, it was very expensive' lark? Anyone else come across this?

I like your dress.
    Oh it was very expensive.

Mother telling me some story about her son's 'leather' (wow) football
    It was very expensive

Asking someone in art class about their very effective rubber/eraser and wondering where to get same.
    They're very expensive.
    (Riiight, are you telling me I can't afford a rubber or that I'll have to save up for it or something? Is that what you're really saying?)

WTF? Why do some people feel they have to let me know this?

They must've seen you coming :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Naw man, everything from pennies is serious tack. There is a reason it's right next door to McDonalds. My policy is best. If it isn't an Armani suit, it isn't worth wearing:)
    If you can afford to buy a "label" it means that it is no longer exclusive.
    Just like Penney's and Dunne's stuff.

Am I the only one who laughs at the people who own stuff with the label visible (e.g. handbags) so that you know it's "exclusive" - but you'd never be able to tell otherwise??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The worst for that is the American tack that most of South Dublin wears (Hollister, Abercrombie, American Eagle, etc.). So horribly cheap and plain looking, and absurdly expensive solely because the of logo, which invariably takes up the entire front of the item, almost shouting "look at my tacky American labels" at you.

Advertisement