Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobbiest comment you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

"I don't carry cash"

Is that snobbery? I know plenty nowadays who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Was hungover with one of my friends running to work in a well to do part of Chicago, effing and blinding due to the heat and headache. A older lady stepped out in front of me and said my language was completely inappropriate for the area. I chose the better part of valor by not replying in a derogatory fashion.

Instead I laughed in her face because I was half pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

orourkeda wrote: »
    I called yore ma miss piggy last noght

Are you Mick Wallace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lazygal wrote: »
    Following on from the stingy thread.........

I teach small children and one mother said she was sending her child to a Gaelscoil because "You don't get the Poles and Nigerians and all sorts going there, its a better class of person she'll be mixing with".

Damn foreigners, coming over here stealing our snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is that snobbery? I know plenty nowadays who don't.

He's mixing up snobbery and poverty, an easy mistake to make.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

D4 guy down for a weekend in my West Cork village
    "Excuse me, hi there, I am afraid you are going to have to move your...vehicle, this area is for sailing club members only"

Vehicle was a shíty farm jeep and I was parked on a half empty pier the size of a football pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He's mixing up snobbery and poverty, an easy mistake to make.:(

Snobbery is a paucity of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I teach small children and one mother said she was sending her child to a Gaelscoil because "You don't get the Poles and Nigerians and all sorts going there, its a better class of person she'll be mixing with".

Surely the rising popularity of gaelscoils has nothing to do with the influx of immigrants and everything to do with the resurgence of the language? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Went down to cork for a friends cousins 21st, when we arrived down his other cousin and friends had arrived down to and they were from a well to do part of Dublin, all weekend all we got was sire all yous do is rob cars around there, oh yehs know how to eat with your hands kind of thing and more in a snobbery way than slagging way, in the end we just decided screw it wel play along with it, and started saying how easy it would be to rob there cars, make up storys of breaking into houses etc they soon started squirming and shut up quick enough:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I was playing polo once and this guy drove by in his pathetic 00 fiat panda, I mean what scum of a person drives one of those? Prob some sub 50k py commoner!
    But anyway on with my story, some guy on the other team told me my stick was so last season and my horse wasnt groomed properly, f*cking snobby prick

• Advertisement

D4 guy down for a weekend in my West Cork village
    "Excuse me, hi there, I am afraid you are going to have to move your...vehicle, this area is for sailing club members only"

Vehicle was a shíty farm jeep and I was parked on a half empty pier the size of a football pitch.

In fairness the ball of scrap was hardly in keeping with the village's rustic aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Snob: "what kind of wine do you like?"
    Me: "Chilean or french or italian, whatever really"
    Snob: "Oh i dont drink any old chilean plonk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not so much a phrase but a lad (from a very wealthy family) I knew in TCD went into convulsions of laughter about how scuffed my shoes were. Actual holding-sides-and-near-to-pissing-pants laughter.

Suffice to say that when the chance came up to ride his ex at a party a year or two later, I jumped at the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Awe bless...New World wine...poor pov...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Wine is wonderful stuff. But so many people are put off by the snobbery of it.

John Cleese

stovelid wrote: »
    Not so much a phrase but a lad (from a very wealthy family) I knew in TCD went into convulsions of laughter about how scuffed my shoes were. Actual holding-sides-and-near-to-pissing-pants laughter.

Suffice to say that when the chance came up to ride his ex at a party a year or two later, I jumped at the chance.
    Quite right to .

My answer would be red, white or Buckfast. There's no substitute for class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

non scuffed seconds... nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ha, Even the children of immigrants where I live can speak Gaeilge much better than the Irish children and adults and they dont even go to Gaelscoil. And they speak their parents languages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

about 5 years ago was having a BBQ one of my snoby guests saw me arriving back with the Lidl bags. " Oh you shop in Lidl? I just dont like the food there its not on par with M and S. Just dont like it."

Yeahhhh and where is Miss M AND S shopping now with her jeep? Yeah you guessed it ! LIDL And Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Biitch at work in her best Cork-born, turned D4 resident accent...

In front of two northsiders: "Oh, I'd never move to the northsoide"

Then listed ridiculous reasons why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Some of the comments I see online about Irish Americans made by Irish people. Great job encouraging them to visit lads, really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

a girl i know who was getting married said about presents 'unless it comes in an envelope we dont want it'.. i smiled and said sweetly 'you two must be so in love'.. she went on to say a minimum of €300.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

a girl i know who was getting married said about presents 'unless it comes in an envelope we dont want it'.. i smiled and said sweetly 'you two must be so in love'.. she went on to say a minimum of €300.:eek:

I's say she'd take his money, when he's in need. defo she's a gold digger. Yes indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A friend of mine turned very posh when she was gifted inheritance during the boom. A native of inner Dublin city she moved out to the sticks/commuter belt hell with intentions to move back into Dublin but only to

"Terenure or Rathfarnam where my children can get a proper education"

Same girl also said around the time:
    "No more holidays for us in the Canaries, once you've experience a 5* hotel in Dubai you just wouldn't go back"

She's lucky now to get a week in a mobile home in Wexford, hubby is on half the wage he was and they're in negative equity.

Oh and she also wanted to get a Range Rover at one stage because she lived in the "country". In an estate, in a town, beside the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Even snobs sometimes get in touch with their charitable side, and give their cast-offs to the poor.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

"The tradesmans entrance is around the side of the house."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

D4 girl in work complaining about how long it takes her to drive into the office.
    Me: ‘Why don’t you try the bus”
    Her: “The Bus! And have to sit with all the smelly people? Hardly”

Not an uncommon feeling by a long shot. I have spoken to several people who have told me that they would rather spend 1 hour in their car commuting than 30 minutes on a bus. It has to be said, the majority of them are women; possibly something to do with feeling intimidated by others on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Suffice to say that when the chance came up to make up some sh;t on the internet about riding his ex at a party a year or two later, I jumped at the chance.

God I wish I could afford new shoes.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Met a bunch of stereotypical D4 Southsiders while in the States and we were (and still are!) from the Northside. One of them commented that he'd "never actually walked right down to the end of O'Connell Street" and his buddy said in all seriousness, "Northsider...salt of the earth but would rob you blind so you have to watch yourself" and we stood there looking at them.....have you just forgotten where we told you were from??? These guys were only in their early 20s...God knows what they're like now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Not sure if this qualifies but the other day i was coughing and some women gave me a filthy look and said "don't cough , its disgusting"

Advertisement