Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's coming.... (New Market!)

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Google Mobile Blog
    Recently, we’ve been hard at work improving Android Market to give you new ways to find great applications and games, purchase books, and rent movies. Today, we’re releasing a new version of Android Market which makes all of these available on phones (Android 2.2 and higher).

In the U.S., you’ll be able to rent thousands of movies, starting at $1.99, right from Android Market on your phone. With the Videos app, available in Android Market, there’s no more waiting for downloads, syncing, or worrying about storage space. Simply sign into Android Market with your Google account, and you can rent movies from anywhere – the web, or your Android phone or tablet – and start watching instantly. You can also download movies to your device so they’re available for viewing when you don’t have an internet connection.

Also in the U.S., you can now purchase books from Android Market on your phone. Like movie rentals, books are linked to your Google account, so they’re instantly available across all of your devices – computer, phone, or tablet – without the need for wires or downloads.

You’ll be delighted to find we’ve overhauled Android Market to make it faster, easier, and more fun to discover great apps, movies, and books. We’ve created more space to feature some of the most interesting content of the week on the home page. We’ve added more top charts, with newer, more relevant items, and we’ve made it easy to swipe through these charts as you browse the store. We’ve also introduced new collections of great content, like staff picks and Editors’ Choice apps.

The new Android Market will be rolling out in the coming weeks to Android 2.2 and higher phones around the world. You don’t need to do anything - the update is automatic on supported phones. If you’re in the U.S., you’ll also be able to download the Videos app, rent movies, and buy books once you receive the new Android Market.
    Your phone is about to get a lot more interesting! Enjoy the new Android Market.

Source: Google Mobile Blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah more US only sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

long_b wrote: »
    Ah more US only sh*te

yeah, but sure it'll be here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

scudzilla wrote: »
    yeah, but sure it'll be here soon

What, like Google Music and Google Voice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Meh.. as I said on a previous thread, I can't say paying to download a film that I can then (probably) only watch on a 4" screen would be what I consider a "wow" factor - even if we could get it over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Here you go guys :)

http://db.tt/dQulaPO

Credit to this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭RustyP

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Here you go guys :)

http://db.tt/dQulaPO

Credit to this guy

Thanks Mega Chin, it looks better than the old app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Meh.. as I said on a previous thread, I can't say paying to download a film that I can then (probably) only watch on a 4" screen would be what I consider a "wow" factor - even if we could get it over here.
    I'd have to agree, got my first android phone a few weeks ago & I didn't buy it to have to buy more stuff, is that not what iphones are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

whitesands wrote: »
    I'd have to agree, got my first android phone a few weeks ago & I didn't buy it to have to buy more stuff, is that not what iphones are for?

I know a lot of app developers who will be very sorry to hear you say that!

New Market app is very nice anyway. No Games or Books options when you open it from an Irish account but it's leaps ahead of the old app for finding, ehm, apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Like the look of it!

One question however, How do you update your apps? I see where you can vew them but not where to serch for app updates.
    :confused:

• Advertisement

Just press Menu / My Apps.
    If there are updates available, they'll show up automatically.

Edit: Hmmmm... I see what you mean now. No update button. I'm open to suggestions. :)

Edit 2: I got my updates to install by ticking the "Automatic Update" checkbox. You can revert to the old market - Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / Market / Uninstall Updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If I install this version, will it get added to my market apps & receive updates in the future as if I'd downloaded it from the market?

I'm not sure. It's not showing up as an installed app on "My Apps" in the marketplace (because I didn't install it from the marketplace). That may be how google update it eventually though (like they did with gmail, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

i can download it fine but it wont install for me. I wonder if its cos my phone is rooted? anyone else download it on a rooted phone or am i missing something?

alanc2003 wrote: »
    i can download it fine but it wont install for me. I wonder if its cos my phone is rooted? anyone else download it on a rooted phone or am i missing something?
    Mines rooted and installed no problem.
    What phone, android version are you running?
    What error does it give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

There is a setting you have to tick to allow installation of non market apps...............

i have an x10i running a 2.2 custom rom. i have the non market apps button ticked. it goes thru the whole process of installing it and then at the end it just says not installed. i wonder if i delete the old market it and just install the new one wud that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Some Android devices have hdmi out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Looks very good, too bad can't rent movies because my phone is rooted, new policy from Google :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Did u not hear about dlna or hmdi out cable? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I was only thinking about dlna this morning... Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive receiver? I was gonna check out the HTC one

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

just installed it, working on my optimus one, dont see an option for renting movies though

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

i have an x10i running a 2.2 custom rom. i have the non market apps button ticked. it goes thru the whole process of installing it and then at the end it just says not installed. i wonder if i delete the old market it and just install the new one wud that work

Try downloading it again and maybe wipe the old market cache and uninstalling updates. Downloading it again should work. Happens me sometimes.

Try downloading it again and maybe wipe the old market cache and uninstalling updates. Downloading it again should work. Happens me sometimes.

i have tried that too, im now trying to download the zip file for xda, see if i can flash it via xrecovery

stonybroke wrote: »
    just installed it, working on my optimus one, dont see an option for renting movies though
    US only at the moment

finally got it downloaded. had to delete the old market. download the zip file from xda and install it via xrecovery. bit of a pain to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

So is there any point in upgrading to this yet?
    I like the way the current market does the updates but if its too convuluted on the new one, I'll probably wait until its official release over here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The_B_Man wrote: »
    So is there any point in upgrading to this yet?
    I like the way the current market does the updates but if its too convuluted on the new one, I'll probably wait until its official release over here.
    The new market is working fine for me. Minute I installed it, I had a notification telling me updates were available and it did them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The new market is working fine for me. Minute I installed it, I had a notification telling me updates were available and it did them

But can you refresh on demand like the old one (can)?

Advertisement