Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    You are not qualified to make that statement as you don't know who half the bands I listen to are.

But I agree with you that music is no worse now than it was generations ago. For every s**** song out there, there will be 5 killers.

Someone hasn't heard Otherside.

Unless you listen to a lot more music that is infintely better than what you post about on here, i'm pretty sure i'm right. I'd also gamble that the 5 songs you think 'killer' they're probably terrible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Tweedo wrote: »
    Graham Coxon was the greatest guitarist of his generation:cool:

Very very good guitar player, don't get me wrong, but Jonny Greenwood is of his generation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Reni from the Stone Roses is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not the greatest. He played the drums like Hendrix played the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Reni from the Stone Roses is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not the greatest. He played the drums like Hendrix played the guitar.

If that opinion is unpopular i'll eat my reni hat:D

The stuff that man could do on a drum set was really out of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

beng128 wrote: »
    If that opinion is unpopular i'll eat my reni hat:D

The stuff that man could do on a drum set was really out of this world

No, what I meant that on the overall scale of things he's massively underrated http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-drummers-of-all-time

• Advertisement

No, what I meant that on the overall scale of things he's massively underrated http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-drummers-of-all-time

That list is such bull****! I dunno if Bonham should be 1, he was incredible, had amazing groove and taste, but I don't know if he really stood up as the greatest drummer ever. Great drummer in popular music sure, maybe not of all time. And why is Terry Bozzio on that list at all? Bruford should be higher. Ringo Starr is supposedly better than Weinberg, let alone on that list all?? I'd put Weinberg higher but that might just be my own massive boner for his playing. lol @ Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich and Travis Barker, boring unimaginative drummers who were in the right place at the right time for successful bands. AND FOR ****'S SAKE ELVIN JONES SHOULD BE TOP 3!!

And Glenn Kotche should be there :cool:

Oh, there's another unpopular music opinion from me; Dave Grohl is a complete waste of space in every way, apart from being really nice to people. If he could just keep being lovely and not make music, that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Exactly like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, The Script, Noel Gallagher, Girls Aloud, The Killers, Foo Fighters and Robbie Williams.

Your opinions certainly are unpopular, I'll give you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

partyndbs wrote: »
    JB rules. like im not joking he is the man and has so many great songs...ok if your 32 years old your not gonna like his music but the lad can sing, he's slick and his songs are catchy as ****. hes an icon of the modern world.
    I hope to **** you're talking about James Brown.
    Being catchy is not what makes a song great, good lyrics are.
    The actual music is so unimportant that it doesn't even warrant a mention. Heed the words of karaokeman people, our resident progressive cultural theorist. Adorno who??
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    Oh, there's another unpopular music opinion from me; Dave Grohl is a complete waste of space in every way, apart from being really nice to people. If he could just keep being lovely and not make music, that'd be great.
    :D
    Although I do like a fair chunk of Foo Fighters stuff from the first 3 or 4 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

I REALLY don't like the script. In fact I despise them.
    Not too fond of U2 either.

I could listen to Hans Zimmer all day.
    Take That are actually a decent band/group whatever you want to call them.
    Slipknot have written some good lyrics but tend to ruin some songs by agressive guitar playing and drumming. But thats their style I suppose.

Now there's diversity for you:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Too bad he was in a shit band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I really tried to like Beach Boys and Neil Young, but just can't. Listened to After the Gold Rush and Pet Sounds a load of times and just can't get into them.
    I don't like The Smiths, but they have a couple of ok songs. But not only do I think Morrissey is bad, I think he's embarrassingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Unless you listen to a lot more music that is infintely better than what you post about on here, i'm pretty sure i'm right. I'd also gamble that the 5 songs you think 'killer' they're probably terrible as well.

The bands I talk about here don't even make up a small fraction of what I listen to.

You'll never know unless you know me personally I'm afraid.

I literally listen to dozens of bands of all genres and no the BEP are far from being one of my favourites. I listen to some of their stuff but certainly not every day.

The bands I talk about here don't even make up a small fraction of what I listen to.

I literally listen to dozens of bands of all genres and no the BEP are far from being one of my favourites. I listen to some of their stuff but certainly not every day.

You don't have to prove anything, they're your opinions...

El Pr0n wrote: »
    You don't have to prove anything, they're your opinions...

Whether we like it or not this thread was bound to have posters bashing our opinions and judging our music tastes as a whole.

Admitedly I have too but I'm guessing the snobbery has in part helped this thread to reach 47 pages.

For another unpopular opinion I have, Bono actually is a very, very good singer and he can sing live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tweedo

Agree with the comments about Reni, he was a freakin' genius.

Topper Headon was a top top drummer as well, God only knows how good he could have been if his head had been right

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Smiths and The Smashing Pumpkins are two of the most over rated bands of the last 30 years.

This might be true but the fact that you bother listening to bands like the BEP in the first place speaks volumes. I can't ever think as to why anyone with any interest in music would listen to them. The worst piece of crap band to ever make music.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

This might be true but the fact that you bother listening to bands like the BEP in the first place speaks volumes. I can't ever think as to why anyone with any interest in music would listen to them. The worst piece of crap band to ever make music.

Who the fook are BEP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

All of your tastes are inferior to mine. Fact.

adox wrote: »
    Who the fook are BEP??

Trust me it's better that you don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Who the fook are BEP??

Ick. Only good thing about them is that Fergie's a ride. And she's even pure fake.

I pretty much listen to BEP for the same reason that my dad listens to Boyzone.

I enjoy them for the entertainment value, none of them can sing (barr Fergie) nor dance but they still make money from what they do.

That speaks volumes in that I don't consider them to be a serious band. Really one should not be judged by naming one single band.

I am actually still worried myself by the fact that some posters here have mentioned Justin Bieber:p.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    And she's even pure fake.

Well in fairness Fergie does use pretty much the same amount of autotune as will i am. Sure they say its for effect more than anything but what's the point really when you can hit all those high notes without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I enjoy them for the entertainment value, none of them can sing (barr Fergie) nor dance but they still make money from what they do.

That speaks volumes in that I don't consider them to be a serious band. Really one should not be judged by naming one single band.

I am actually still worried myself by the fact that some posters here have mentioned Justin Bieber:p.

Well in fairness Fergie does use pretty much the same amount of autotune as will i am. Sure they say its for effect more than anything but what's the point really when you can hit all those high notes without it.

Earlier you were complaining about the crappy lyrics in pop music, yet you can somehow tolerate BEP:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Whilst fake that way too, I originally meant her looks/body.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Who the fook are BEP??

Boring Everyday Pop

Eh haven't you raved on about how great boyzone or westlife are as well?

Seriosuly there is so much good music out there and you choose to listen to co-ck as it's entertaining. Fair enough. Also i happen to think that most bands you mention aren't a hell of alot better than the BEP (fair enough people like what they like) the main thing that irks me is how you try to back up a point.

Like saying that you don't like crappy lyrics in pop songs but listen to the BEP.

For the record i love a good pop song, and i can ignore the crappy lyrics in an S&M as it's got a stonking beat and a bit of fun. Doesn't take itself to seriously which, for me, is what pop should be about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

westlife are cack-they might as well piss on their fans the amount of effort and creativity they put into their music-NONE! lazy moneygrabbers

Take That are brilliant constantly trying new styles of music and venturing down new avenues. they write all their own material and put their hearts and souls into their albums and tours.

i thought rap and r n b was sh1te til i heard eminem. lyrical genius.

arctic monkeys, kings of leon, mumford & sons waaaay overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

mapaco wrote: »
    westlife are cack-they might as well piss on their fans the amount of effort and creativity they put into their music-NONE! lazy moneygrabbers

Take That are brilliant constantly trying new styles of music and venturing down new avenues. they write all their own material and put their souls and energy into their albums and tours.

arctic monkeys, kings of leon, mumford & sons waaaay overrated.
    How controversial...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

mapaco wrote: »
    You haven't heard anything until you've heard Dalek and Immortal Technique. They completely changed my perspective on hip-hop. Give them a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The Smiths and The Smashing Pumpkins are two of the most over rated bands of the last 30 years.

I used to love the smashing pumpkins 15 years ago, but don't like them at all now. Even Siamese Dream. Not sure how I used to listen to Billy Corgans voice.

Advertisement