Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

mayo.mick wrote: »

Thanks, i never knew Supervalu sold tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    Matey, I'm not even a Rossie but you attitude is a bit much - you always seem to be finding reasons why your team will fail

again any roscommon fan that thinks the team just has to turn up on sunday and beat mayo easily is for the birds, IF roscommon do win it won't be by more than a point or two and IF they are to win they will have to improve massively from what they have been playing last 2 years, this is division 1 vs division 4 remember, last division 1 team roscommon played were cork and we saw how their fitness levels were on a different planet to roscommons come the last 15 mins

look over-confidence isn't something unique to roscommon, its seems these days in connacht, win a match and the fans have you down as worldbeaters, leitrim fans were cock-sure they would beat us in june and that worked out well for them, i addressed this sligo guys post and i was dead right http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68393261&postcount=24 2 years ago we had mayo fans telling me before the roscommon/meath qualifer "as for Meath they aren't any concern to Mayo, we ain't going the scenic route to nowhere", funny that meath would knock mayo out a few weeks later

if roscommon win on sunday there won't be a happier person in the country, but i don't want to come on here on monday evening after another trouncing and have to see another thread like this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055598632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Syferus wrote: »
    Zero chance of the game being switched, Enda would be advised to give the match a miss though.

Ya i reckon he should give the match a miss, i'd imagine the atmosphere would be very tense if he arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    again any roscommon fan that thinks the team just has to turn up on sunday and beat mayo easily is for the birds, IF roscommon do win it won't be by more than a point or two and IF they are to win they will have to improve massively from what they have been playing last 2 years, this is division 1 vs division 4 remember, last division 1 team roscommon played were cork and we saw how their fitness levels were on a different planet to roscommons come the last 15 mins

look over-confidence isn't something unique to roscommon, its seems these days in connacht, win a match and the fans have you down as worldbeaters, leitrim fans were cock-sure they would beat us in june and that worked out well for them, i addressed this sligo guys post and i was dead right http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68393261&postcount=24 2 years ago we had mayo fans telling me before the roscommon/meath qualifer "as for Meath they aren't any concern to Mayo, we ain't going the scenic route to nowhere", funny that meath would knock mayo out a few weeks later

if roscommon win on sunday there won't be a happier person in the country, but i don't want to come on here on monday evening after another trouncing and have to see another thread like this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055598632

But I think the problem is that you're guarding against a nebulous idea over-confidence that from what I've seen has hardly reared its head on this forum at all over the last year. People who are casual fans (and degrading them further serves zero purpose to anyone) in any county will loss track of themselves butFergie certainly won't let the players run away with themselves so I can't see that being much of an issue when it comes down to it.

I've every confidence that we can win this match, but it's hardly ever easy to beat either of the big two in Connacht. This isn't 2009 - a year when we were blooding alot of young players - and indeed even directly after that trashing by Mayo we beat Wexford, a 2008 All-Ireland semi-finalist, over two games and gave Meath a spirited performance in Navan. This is a team that at all levels - 3rd level, club, minor, u-21, even senior - have won major honours and hence they should be one of the first Roscommon teams in a long while that's able to go into a game of this magnitude with aspirations higher than giving it a lash and hoping they get lucky.

The team has progressed alot from the 2009 game and this re-match comes at exactly the right moment - let alone location -for Roscommon to accurately gauge the extent of that progress.

Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Well folks , have been following Mayo through good times and bad for the last 20 odd years, many great days , many dark days. I suppose thats the same for all GAA fans. Heading to the Hyde or down to Tuam was always part of the summer, no matter what the result we always had plenty banter afterwards and then spent the next week at work( I work outside Mayo) defending the actions/character of the Mayo players. Once they tried their best we had no real complaints. This year for the first time I am thinking of waiting at home. Not just because of the price of the tickets eventhough it is alot considering we already had to pay out €30 for that dreadful match in Castlebar, but more so because of the attitude of the Mayo players after the game. On the Sunday night after the Galway match a number of players were a total disgrace in the pubs of the town. Some of the well know players had to be removed from a pub by bouncers for damaging toilets, not paying for drinks, abusing staff and customers.

I have the greatest respect for all intercounty players who give their time and put in so much effort for their county but to see this behaviour was disheartening.The drinking part I have no real problem with, its the attitude and behaviour that was unbelievable. Part of me really wants to go to the Hyde because I think we have a good chance of winning and part of me is thinking no way, give up a day and pay top dollar to watch players who acted like total scumbags. Am i being a bit harsh? Maybe this is what Mayo need instead of nice guys? Am also a bit worried about how easy the bouncers threw them out of the pub!! Should I say or should I go??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Not defending players if thats what happened re drinking session.

But I will say that give any sports team who don't drink much and have testosterone jumping our of their skins a skinful of drink and expect rowdiness.

As long as they didn't assault anyone then it's just a session that got out of hand. Footballers we ask to be good footballers, don't be suprised if they're behaviour off pitch can be wayward.

I'm just suprised they were on the lash mid championship, it's not a long time to expect to stay off the beer. Or at most quiet one nearby with meal and then back on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whitehorse wrote: »
    Well folks , have been following Mayo through good times and bad for the last 20 odd years, many great days , many dark days. I suppose thats the same for all GAA fans. Heading to the Hyde or down to Tuam was always part of the summer, no matter what the result we always had plenty banter afterwards and then spent the next week at work( I work outside Mayo) defending the actions/character of the Mayo players. Once they tried their best we had no real complaints. This year for the first time I am thinking of waiting at home. Not just because of the price of the tickets eventhough it is alot considering we already had to pay out €30 for that dreadful match in Castlebar, but more so because of the attitude of the Mayo players after the game. On the Sunday night after the Galway match a number of players were a total disgrace in the pubs of the town. Some of the well know players had to be removed from a pub by bouncers for damaging toilets, not paying for drinks, abusing staff and customers.

I have the greatest respect for all intercounty players who give their time and put in so much effort for their county but to see this behaviour was disheartening.The drinking part I have no real problem with, its the attitude and behaviour that was unbelievable. Part of me really wants to go to the Hyde because I think we have a good chance of winning and part of me is thinking no way, give up a day and pay top dollar to watch players who acted like total scumbags. Am i being a bit harsh? Maybe this is what Mayo need instead of nice guys? Am also a bit worried about how easy the bouncers threw them out of the pub!! Should I say or should I go??

Havent heard a word about anything like this happening so am inlcined to think you're talking rubbish. Did you witness it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Havent heard a word about anything like this happening so am inlcined to think you're talking rubbish. Did you witness it yourself?

this did happen as i seen it happen iwas woundering why they where drinking with the connaught final coming up or i thought they would only have a few and go home some of them where as drunk asi was and i was on tha beer right after the game.this happened in a well know pub it starts with an (R) i did not see the toilets being damaged but i did see the players being f1cked out the door.
    you can be dam sure horan heard all about this and i bet he wasnt to impressed from waht i can rember he let the ballintubber team drink when he was in charge of them and they won the champship so maybe some times it works , if and when we beat the rossies on sunday you will not hear a word about it,but if we get a hammering then this will resurface again.
    i thnk u should go whitehorse there is allways going to be gobsh1tes in a team but there is a lot of decent footballers who have the will to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Has this been widely discussed? Hopefully not, the fans' patience has been tested enough throughout the last few years.

Still the players are young and mistakes will happen. Come Sunday let them atone for themselves on the pitch.

Go to the match Whitehorse, we will need all the support we can get!

Has this been widely discussed? Hopefully not, the fans' patience has been tested enough throughout the last few years.

Still the players are young and mistakes will happen. Come Sunday let them atone for themselves on the pitch.

Go to the match Whitehorse, we will need all the support we can get!

on here or just in general it was the talk of the town the week after the game.when is the teams announced is it on thursday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

unfortunately its all true, but as you said naughto ,it will be all forgotten if they win on Sunday. If they dont win im sure it will be mentioned more than a few times in Mayo. I am amazed that it didnt get into the local papers last week. Hopefully Horan has had a loud word in the ear of the players involved.

DillonAlan_2011Connacht.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

DillonAlan_2011Connacht.jpg

Brilliant pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

This is true as I seen it myself after the galway game in town that nite and I heard from some friends in Claremorris that they were nearly as bad again after the Roscommon game up there. But then again as you said maybe mayo needs some more guys like this??

if it helps them win then iam all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

This is true as I seen it myself after the galway game in town that nite and I heard from some friends in Claremorris that they were nearly as bad again after the Roscommon game up there. But then again as you said maybe mayo needs some more guys like this??

I don't really think being wild at parties will help any team succeed and our own - Roscommon's - fiascoes with naked snooker and teams with too many unruly individuals just ended up nixing a talented panel long before they should have reached their natural end.

Could Mayo have possibly got any harder of a draw for the quarter finals? Is anybody giving us any hope of winning this one??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Could Mayo have possibly got any harder of a draw for the quarter finals? Is anybody giving us any hope of winning this one??:confused:

I am

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There is always hope - but in this case not alot of it I think. On any given day a shock could occur though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Cork to win. Expect Mayo to put it up to us though and I hope they do, would be good for both teams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

teednab-el wrote: »
    Cork to win. Expect Mayo to put it up to us though and I hope they do, would be good for both teams

Nothing expected from us, IF we can for 1 game this season get Dillion, Moran, Freeman and Doherty to click then I expect they will give Cork some problems.

We are weaker in the middle and possibly at full-back. If we come away saying that they put up a good fight I will be happy to build on that for next year. A very young team.

yop wrote: »
    Nothing expected from us, IF we can for 1 game this season get Dillion, Moran, Freeman and Doherty to click then I expect they will give Cork some problems.

We are weaker in the middle and possibly at full-back. If we come away saying that they put up a good fight I will be happy to build on that for next year. A very young team.

The fact that Cork can leave Goulding on the bench and still retain total confidence says it all really. Not wanting to sound defeatist but this was always going to be a multi-year plan for Mayo. Can't see us doing a Maughan or a Moran and advancing straight to the final, the lads have done some seriously good work this year but there is more to be done I would think. Young team all around and there is some seriously good potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yeah, in fairness on Cork's performance this weekend we'll have a mountain to climb.
    It's hard to know how good or bad Mayo really are this year - the only 2 games that really could have been looked at were in ferocious conditions so it's impossible to say how we could do. Pretty much the only thing thats been consistent for us this year is having been underdogs and playing into gales in the first half then playing with them in the second. Outside of that, there's no real way to tell how this team will perform.

Given the level of intensity Cork play at, combined with their fitness, they'll be pulling away for the last 15 minutes of the game. We have some strength on the bench but and if we can hold out to being in touch up to then, we may cause an upset, but to be realistic, I can't hold out too much hope for that. The bookies have Mayo at 5-1 for this game for a reason.

Many on this team are quite young so if they can give a good account of themselves, then perhaps they can build on this years efforts and be considered serious contenders next year. If they get hammered, it may take longer for them to recover. I really hope that doesn't happen.

One line of hope though, for all the commentators that predicted if was only every going to be a Tyrone v Armagh Semi in 2004 weren't telling us how right they were after when it turned out to be Mayo vs Fermanagh for the Semi Final. We also did beat Cork in the League this year. Here's hoping I prove myself wrong and looking forward Limerick V Mayo in the Semi....;)

All that said- this blog is well worth a read for any Mayo fans...

Yes I think we will put up a good display but probably get bet by 3 - 4 points in the end as Cork are very strong in the last 10 - 15 mins. But I will be happy as long as we don't get a hammering as this would set this young team back a long way and that would be a shame as they look to be heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

Cork supporter here, I think this will be a closer game than people think, I'd be happy with a one point win. Mayo haven't beaten us for a long time and will be bigger underdogs than ever for this one but they have to beat us some time so it's by now means a foregone conclusion.
    We have no left-footed freetaker now that Goulding is out and we don't have much to call on from the bench. Mayo could very well cause an upset, ye'll never have a better chance of beating us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lukin wrote: »
    Cork supporter here, I think this will be a closer game than people think, I'd be happy with a one point win. Mayo haven't beaten us for a long time and will be bigger underdogs than ever for this one but they have to beat us some time so it's by now means a foregone conclusion.
    We have no left-footed freetaker now that Goulding is out and we don't have much to call on from the bench. Mayo could very well cause an upset, ye'll never have a better chance of beating us.

I too would be happy with a one point win - realistically any win will do at this stage of the competition.

I honestly think in years to come that Mayo will have FAR better chances of beating Cork than they will on Sunday.

does anybody know if mayo or cork announced there teams for sunday yet? I thought mayo were supposed to annouse there team after training last nite (wed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

does anybody know if mayo or cork announced there teams for sunday yet? I thought mayo were supposed to annouse there team after training last nite (wed)
    Today is Wednesday - are u getting your days mixed up?

Today is Wednesday - are u getting your days mixed up?
    LOL no wonder they havent the team announced so - thanks for clearly dat up:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

LOL no wonder they havent the team announced so - thanks for clearly dat up:confused::confused:

mayo team announced two changes to the team from roscommon , with ger cafferkey and enda varley coming into the team

here's a link to the team http://mayogaablog.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement