Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mighty stuff from Mayo today. Alright the performance slipped after a fantastic start where we tore Kerry apart (similar enough to against Dublin) but there is something different about this current Mayo setup. More fight, desire and belief to add to the more than capable players in the squad. MOTM was Colm Boyle. Bloody immense and epitomized the way the team fought back when Kerry looked to have it in the bag.

Bad form by Kerry to not acknowledge Mayo going off the field even if it was a subtle complement! Deserved break for the team in Portugal now for league final in a fortnight. Need to keep the momentum going into the championship now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Mighty stuff from Mayo today. Alright the performance slipped after a fantastic start where we tore Kerry apart (similar enough to against Dublin) but there is something different about this current Mayo setup. More fight, desire and belief to add to the more than capable players in the squad. MOTM was Colm Boyle. Bloody immense and epitomized the way the team fought back when Kerry looked to have it in the bag.

Bad form by Kerry to not acknowledge Mayo going off the field even if it was a subtle complement! Deserved break for the team in Portugal now for league final in a fortnight. Need to keep the momentum going into the championship now

Unbelievable stuff. Ref was a disgrace, that is all. Boyle was outstanding, great workrate and superb ball carrier. Vaughan great tryer too. Fair Play to O'Connor for nailing that free at the end of normal time and Feeney for kicking the winner.

Dunno why Conroy and Mort were taken off but I really rate this mayo side. Many had them down for relegation after losing to Down and Cork what a turn around!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking froward to playing ye in the final.

Cork should win by about 10pts I reckon:pac:

That's a joke by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff. Ref was a disgrace, that is all. Boyle was outstanding, great workrate and superb ball carrier. Vaughan great tryer too. Fair Play to O'Connor for nailing that free at the end of normal time and Feeney for kicking the winner.

Dunno why Conroy and Mort were taken off but I really rate this mayo side. Many had them down for relegation after losing to Down and Cork what a turn around!

Well done to Mayo as I said in the Kerry thread ye deserved it.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the Ref, thought he rode Kerry after the goal in normal time. The foul for the Penalty was outside the area to begin with, but I can see why it was given. Kerry had a legit 45 bizzarly given wide. Galvin should have walked, made 3 fouls after the yellow card that deserved a second yellow, but with 2 minutes to go in the match it wouldn't have made a difference.
    The Ref also gifted Mayo a point at the end of the first half where he "played advantage" with a pass across the goal to Galvin who was slipping. It was clear that there was no advantage and a free out should have been given, but he played on, and left Galvin floundering befor Andy Moran put the ball over.

Mayo got 3 frees from grabbing the Kerry back's hands and throwing themselves down. Kerry got some soft free's as well.

Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin were lucky to be on the pitch as well. Don't know how Vaughan got away with the tackle on Darren O'Sullivan when he was through on goal.

Don't get me wrong Im not complaining, I'm sure ye could make a list as long as this of decisions that went against Mayo, thats just football.
    Kerry's lack of hunger, and inability to close out a game came back to bite us in the arse just like last September.

Hopefully we'll meet ye in Croker again this year to make up for it.

Good luck in the Final!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well done Mayo. Great fight today and never willing to give it up as lost. Colm Boyle and Donal Vaughan epitomised this great fighting spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I was worried about Mayo playing the long high ball into the forwards as Kerry's defenders seemed to be collecting every single ball going in but fair play to Mayo they gave it their all and made Kerry look tired at the end, some feat! Pat Harte and Cillian O'Connor did extremely well under pressure with the penalty and free kick respectively. Great defending from Higgins and Keegan.

Mayo did make a lot of basic passing and kicking errors that resulted in points for Kerry. They need to tighten this up against Cork. Otherwise they are in with a fighting chance in two weeks time.

Disappointed with the attendance, strange atmosphere at Croker. Perhaps next year they will look at holding the semis in a smaller venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've posted some tactical analysis on today's game here http://action81.com/blog/?p=5691 for anyone interested.

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I've posted some tactical analysis on today's game here http://action81.com/blog/?p=5691 for anyone interested.
    Wow, you looked at the game in a completely different way.

You are right about Mayo being content to lose around the middle, but swarm with big men around the middle. They really were effective, and Kerry's lack of urgency in getting the ball into the forwards really hurt them.

One thing though, its Cillian O'Connor not Cian, just to be pedantic! I have to read through your analysis of some of the other games. Its a refreshing approach to the one eyed view of fans, and the mundane tame views of some Journalists. How do you look at games tactically? Just going on Stats, or do you just look at game patterns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by the bolded bit above?

Fair play to Mayo,hung in there and got a result. Think Kerry should have closed it out in normal AND extra time, but sin é. Definitely a harder edge and a bit more tactical nous about this Mayo team to be fair,even though its early days yet.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by the bolded bit above?

Fair play to Mayo,hung in there and got a result. Think Kerry should have closed it out in normal AND extra time, but sin é. Definitely a harder edge and a bit more tactical nous about this Mayo team to be fair,even though its early days yet.
    Some of the Kerry lads ran straight off after the game without shaking hands with the Mayo lads.

Don't think it was bad blood or any spite, but it did seem odd.

Marc Ó Sé and Bryan Sheahan were two I remember.

90% of the panel shook hands etc. and BJK was chatting to Aiden O'Shea as they came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Some of the Kerry lads ran straight off after the game without shaking hands with the Mayo lads.

Don't think it was bad blood or any spite, but it did seem odd.

Marc Ó Sé and Bryan Sheahan were two I remember.

90% of the panel shook hands etc. and BJK was chatting to Aiden O'Shea as they came in.

Couldn't really fault Sheahan for running off in fairness, I'd say he was pretty disgusted with himself after missing that 45, one he would get 9 out of 10 times IMO.

I can't believe Donaghys error though where he gave away that goal, very unKerrylike thing to do. Don't know what he was at but it sure was a gift for Mayo and Galvin had no option but to pull the Mayo player down.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Wow, you looked at the game in a completely different way.

You are right about Mayo being content to lose around the middle, but swarm with big men around the middle. They really were effective, and Kerry's lack of urgency in getting the ball into the forwards really hurt them.

One thing though, its Cillian O'Connor not Cian, just to be pedantic! I have to read through your analysis of some of the other games. Its a refreshing approach to the one eyed view of fans, and the mundane tame views of some Journalists. How do you look at games tactically? Just going on Stats, or do you just look at game patterns?

Thanks for your kind words DDC1990. First off I fixed that typo, sorry about that and cheers for the spot. Regarding the way I look at games, I try to look for patterns, looking at where players are really lining out, how teams are moving/defending the ball, see what is/isn't working, and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Also a word for Kevin McLoughlin, doesn't get many plaudits and while he's not the best natural footballer in the county, for workrate alone he is worth his spot. Worked tirelessly till the end yesterday thought he deserved a mention- very underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Has Boyle played much of the league up to now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Bad form by Kerry to not acknowledge Mayo going off the field even if it was a subtle complement!

What? As in a guard of honour or something??? I thought this was just done for AI champions in GAA, not teams that have just won a league semi final...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Looking froward to playing ye in the final.

Cork should win by about 10pts I reckon:pac:

To be honest from a Mayo point of view I would be worried about Cork.

Apart from last years QF Mayo have fared poorly against them in Croke Park.
    And this year Cork have a good bit to prove, they have to show they are over the 2010 All Ireland hangover, and they will start with the league final.

I have not seen enough of Mayo this year, nor do I know enough about Cork, to be able to break it down and analyse the various ways the game can be won and lost I just hope that it is not a massacre and that Mayo learn plenty out of their two extra league outings at Croke Park.

Bad form by Kerry to not acknowledge Mayo going off the field even if it was a subtle complement! ......

What are you on about, what do you want a guard of honour for winning a league semi final ?

Overall I though Mayo were good yesterday but I am worried about their play in the last quarter of games.

Not withstanding the goals and points that won it for them yesterday they have a tendency to loose the head put a lot of balls wide due to poor shot selection late in the game.
    Against Kerry in Tralee this was very evident I thought.
    Yesterday they had a number of chances to score points in the first half of extra time that they missed, both from open play and frees.
    And they need someone to take long range frees, Clarke made a dogs dinner of one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

I agree they were certainly far more wasteful in possession and that has to be worked on.Cillian O'Connor showed last year he is capable of taking frees but we'll have to wait and see. Cork will be very tough opponents but I think the performance rather than the result should be the focus. They have a tendency (something Dublin used to do as well) of playing for 20 minutes, switching off for 20 and then playing again.They need to get their consistency in games up.

Did very well though yesterday,tactically it was spot on, won a lot of breaking ball in midfield and did much better than expected without O'Shea. Great to get the win but hopefully expectations won't go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

keane2097 wrote: »
    Has Boyle played much of the league up to now?

He's had two starts before yesterday against Dublin and Cork and came on as a sub against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some turnaround for mayo in a couple of weeks! The last time we played cork in mc hale park, we looked like we were heading for div 2, now we're playing them in the league final:) It sure is a rollercoaster of a ride being a mayo supporter:D

What? As in a guard of honour or something??? I thought this was just done for AI champions in GAA, not teams that have just won a league semi final...:confused:
    What are you on about, what do you want a guard of honour for winning a league semi final ?

Never said they should be given a guard of honour FFS but a little respect from their opponents at the end of the match. Thought it was fairly unsporting. However not all the Kerry team ignored the Mayo squad in fairness by storming off.. Small matter anyhow with Mayo getting the result

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Those poor Mayo feckers, honestly I wouldn't wish for Kerry to be beaten by anyone else but Mayo. How many time have we inflicted absolute misery upon ye in Croke Park and if I can only imagine how much it meant even if it was just the league. I hope ye go on and beat Cork now too.

As a Kerryman I just simply get gut-wrenched when we are drawn against Mayo because I think how much collective pain can they take? I think 1996 has been paid for with about ten million percent interest already!

Well done and best of luck, nice clean players and a lovely bunch of fans to mingle with always.

Overall I though Mayo were good yesterday but I am worried about their play in the last quarter of games.

Not withstanding the goals and points that won it for them yesterday they have a tendency to loose the head put a lot of balls wide due to poor shot selection late in the game.
    Against Kerry in Tralee this was very evident I thought.
    Yesterday they had a number of chances to score points in the first half of extra time that they missed, both from open play and frees.
    And they need someone to take long range frees, Clarke made a dogs dinner of one yesterday.

Agree but that has been the main problem in the league this year. Taking the lead by storming into the likes of Cork, Kerry, Donegal with Dublin the only exception, where Mayo basically ran out of steam. Could be a fitness thing but imho we're still lacking some control in the middle of the field when Aidan O'Shea (whos improved tenfold) has not played. If only we had a player in the mould of Sheehan. Missed a big free at the end but hes a serious footballer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo could definetly do with a long range free taker (who could'nt)

That Brian Sheahan is some free taker (Pleased he missed the 45 yesterday though)

Is he the best free taker of all time (especially from distance). I can't think of any better myself.

Mayo would do some serious damage if we had a Sheahan to take our frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

Hey I am trying to decide if I will head to Dublin for the final in two weeks time (it could be the only sliver ware we win in HQ this year :)) but what will ticket prices be like, no info on the GAA's website as of yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Maigh Eo wrote: »
    Hey I am trying to decide if I will head to Dublin for the final in two weeks time (it could be the only sliver ware we win in HQ this year :)) but what will ticket prices be like, no info on the GAA's website as of yet?

It was €20 on Sunday so it will be around that again. They might bump it up to €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It was €20 on Sunday so it will be around that again. They might bump it up to €25.

If it is like the last two years, season ticket holders form any county will be 'invited' so if you know someone with a season ticket garb it for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If it is like the last two years, season ticket holders form any county will be 'invited' so if you know someone with a season ticket garb it for the day.

Just remember that season ticket holders have to print out their e-tickets from their online account;) (although you can also bring the season ticket(card) with you on the day, to the rear of the cusack stand where you will be given a hard copy ticket):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mayo.mick wrote: »
    (although you can also bring the season ticket(card) with you on the day, to the rear of the cusack stand where you will be given a hard copy ticket):)

That's good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Mayo v Cork , April 29th Throw in 4pm ...referee Maurice Deegan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Mayo v Cork , April 29th Throw in 4pm ...referee Maurice Deegan.

What sort of crowd would they be expecting at this?
    Both teams have a good following...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement