Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy from Carbs!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

So an unrestricted calorie diet is your recommendation for someone who is obviously trying to lose weight?

Depends what you mean by unrestricted diet?

What I mean when I say no restrictions on calorie intake is... Fruits and vegetables with the addition of some nuts and seeds. That's it.

I lost my excess weight this way and I no longer have a weight problem.
    Stop trolling

So it's trolling now if you don't understand what some else is saying?

there is no way the OP could lose weight by eating 3.2k kcals a day from any source.

there is no way the OP could lose weight by eating 3.2k kcals a day from any source.

I did.

The OP eats so little now that I'm surprised they can function properly at all TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Ice. wrote: »
    What I mean when I say no restrictions on calorie intake is... Fruits and vegetables with the addition of some nuts and seeds. That's it.

I'm curious. You must be eating some massive quantities of fruit, veg, nuts and seeds to make up 3,200+ calories including a "minimum" of 800g carbs each day! What would a typical day's diet be for you, to make up all of this?

I'm curious. You must be eating some massive quantities of fruit, veg, nuts and seeds to make up 3,200+ calories including a "minimum" of 800g carbs each day! What would a typical day's diet be for you, to make up all of this?

Well, yesterday for instance, I had..
    20 Bananas and 500g of dates split between breakfast and lunch. For dinner I had a big salad consisting of a head of romaine lettuce, 1 sweet pepper, a cucumber and a brazil nut. I also made a dressing for the salad out of a cup of freshly squeezed OJ and some of the dates I had. Blended them up.

According to cronometer all that weighed in at 3796kcals. Carbs made up 972.2g.

• Advertisement

you did in your ****e

and if you are eating like that, good luck to you.

Nowhere near enough protein or fat.
    http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5128/carbs.png

No satiation, no enjoyment, sounds like torture tbh.

you did in your ****e

and if you are eating like that, good luck to you.

I did and I need no luck. :D
    Nowhere near enough protein or fat.
    http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5128/carbs.png

No satiation, no enjoyment, sounds like torture tbh.

I keep both protein and fat to 10% or less of total calories consumed. I assure you I am fully satiated and quite enjoy my food. I am never tempted to eat stuff I don't want to and unlike a lot of other people I don't need any cheat days to stay on track.

Why do you keep protein or fat to a minimum?

What are you trying to do to yourself?

Why do you keep protein or fat to a minimum?

Because I don't need any more than 10% of total calories of each.
    What are you trying to do to yourself?

Maintain my good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Ice, can I suggest that you keep detailed food records of all you eat, and your general health? If you can maintain this long term, you are likely to overturn conventional nutritional wisdom.

• Advertisement

EileenG wrote: »
    Ice, can I suggest that you keep detailed food records of all you eat, and your general health? If you can maintain this long term, you are likely to overturn conventional nutritional wisdom.

I've been eating this way for a number of years now. I use cronometer to make sure I'm eating enough and also to track my nutrient intake etc. But diet is just one part of the overall picture. Sure it's a big part but so is making sure you get enough sleep, do some exercise and make sure you're hydrated properly. It's all linked. Most people make the mistake of focusing on just one part of the jigsaw at the expense of the bigger picture.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Oh Ice, I've really come to enjoy your hilarious posts. I think I might have some kind of internet-based Stockholm syndrome.

How come no one else has figured this out, why isn't everyone else just eating 30 bananas a day? It's so simple! Why doesn't everyone do it? Is it the meat and dairy industry I wonder, they're so clever, getting every single healthy population on the planet to eat some animal foods. How do they do it? My guess is hypnosis.

Oh Ice, I've really come to enjoy your hilarious posts.

And I yours.
    I think I might have some kind of internet-based Stockholm syndrome.

:D:D:D
    How come no one else has figured this out, why isn't everyone else just eating 30 bananas a day? It's so simple! Why doesn't everyone do it? Is it the meat and dairy industry I wonder, they're so clever, getting every single healthy population on the planet to eat some animal foods. How do they do it? My guess is hypnosis.

Lol. You sound like you are having caffeine withdrawals! On second thoughts this image came to mind...

tinfoilhat.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ice. wrote: »
    Lol. You sound like you are having caffeine withdrawals! On second thoughts this image came to mind...

Man, I really miss being a zealot. You don't have to face anything that doesn't fit with your world view.

BTW, I'm intolerant to caffeine. ;)

Man, I really miss being a zealot. You don't have to face anything that doesn't fit with your world view.

lol-cat-funny-picture.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Ahhh right..

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I kinda got all anxious from this thread and beat myself up and fell off the wagon so to speak. I thought I was doing things right but apparently not?

Starting tomorrow I'm getting back into the swing of things, can people please tell me tips? I'm new to all this, my old diet is disgusting and full of carbs and junk. I try so hard to get protein and cut down on carbs but besides eggs and fish I am kinda stumped how to get it in there which is what this thread was about in the first place. As for carbs.. growing up they were a staple and only now do I realise how bad they are, so what is the best replacement? I know I should have some still.

I'm sick of being so big, I want to be happy again and I haven't been in a fcuking long time. I went shopping in Zara recently and I literally had to ask for the biggest size in everything, which they didn't have thus killing my perfect outfit someone skinny could have worn! Sorry for the attitude, I just binged and feel like sh!te over it.. Tomorrow's a new day though and with that I hope to really get back into the swing of it all, Jillian Michaels 20 minute kicking my ass video and 7km fast walk inclusive. :D

sorry for the formatting of this, but something I sent to someone recently, might help you.
    A lot of general diety information for you to peruse.

First things first, losing weight is a very straightforward mathematical computation.
    IF Calories in < Calories Out => Weight goes down

That’s it, if you want to lose weight, just eat less than you do. It’s really that simple on the “base” level.
    But most people are beyond brutal at figuring out what they’re eating, and what portions they are eating. I use an app on my phone called mynetdiary that records everything I eat, I mean everything, if I have a handful of nuts; they go in the app, if I have a glass of orange juice; they go in the app. There’s a free version that I use and its more than fine. There’s an online resource that is similar at www.fitday.com, its free, and Use it. Be brutally honest for at least 3 weeks, see what you’re putting into your body. Weigh everything, don’t take shortcuts, it took a long time to put weight on, it will take a long time to take the weight off.

Don’t be drastic, you will fail.

Trying to eat 800 Kcals when your body needs 2200 per day to survive is a bad idea. All your body tries its hardest to do is stay alive, if you are undereating, it will store all energy as fat, and you will be incredibly tired all the time. If however, you maintain a healthy calorie deficit of 400-600 kcals a day, whilst doing resistance training, your body will be forced to expend calories on growth and repair instead of production of fat stores.

Find your maintenance calories. This is what your body requires to maintain the weight it is now. Take 500 kcals away from it, and this is your budget for calories for the day. Ignore what you imagine you burn off from walking, from cycling and from lifting weights, you will overestimate them, no doubt about it. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm will tell you what you should be aiming for.

A 500kcal deficit a day is 3.5k deficit a week, that is roughly 1lb of weight lost a week. If you do not train, you will lose muscle as well as fat. If you train, you will maintain muscle, and accelerate fat loss.

Girls are afraid of lifting weights because they think they will get muscle and look like men. They won’t. Your body does not produce testosterone, you don’t react to weight lifting as men do. Women body builders take testosterone in order to bulk up. As an aside, ask anyone who’s ever tried to put on weight how they managed it, to put on muscle, you have to eat like a small army and lift the heaviest things you can as often as you can. It is incredibly difficult to put on muscle, and almost impossible on a calorie deficit. You won’t see major strength gains unless you are on a calorie surplus, but maintaining muscle while on a “cut” is exactly all you need to be doing, and all that most girls want to do.

From today, eat “clean”, clean means that you don’t eat anything you haven’t made yourself. Throw out any bread, biscuits, crackers etc. Use the food pyramid I sent you yesterday.http://www.nymedicalnutrition.com/images/revisedfoodpyramid_big.jpg Meals should be simple, and satiating. Protein with every meal is essential. Protein and fat will fill you up and reduce your appetite as they regulate the blood sugar levels and insulin production in your body. The first 5/6 days that you stop eating 200g of carbohydrates a day, and let your body get back in control of its energy patterns are tough. I got run down, and had no energy at all. This is normal, and lasts 2/3 days, do not cave in at this stage.

Start to understand the composition of what you are eating, fitday and any proper decent dietary counter app will be crazy beneficial for this. You want to get most of your calories from proteins and good fats, and very few if any calories from carbohydrate. Your body only needs carbohydrate to replace the glycogen in your muscles after training, that is it. So take that to heart, only eat any meals that have a decent portion of carbohydrate directly after training. There is no need to have carbs at all otherwise.

Resistance training is essential, there is no point in doing slow walks, brisk walks, a jog etc, these only tire muscle and slow growth and repair. You need to be lifting weights, and not for a long time, but do heavy enough weights that you are struggling with the exercises. Training that takes longer than 70minutes is bad for fat loss, you want to absolutely push yourself as hard as you possibly can for a short time, this will cause your body to react by trying to make you stronger, and focusing on muscle repair. There are several essential exercises that I do, that I would recommend you do, but you should not try them unless you have someone to watch you and guide you through them. They are the Squat, the Bench Press, the Deadlift, the Inverted Row, the Overhead Press. That’s 5 exercises that you can use to exercise your whole body. The important part with each of them is form. In order of importance for your body to succeed, consider this
    Form >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Weight >>>>>> Reps.

If you are squatting with perfect form, and are squatting the heaviest weight that you can manage 2 reps on, that is far far far far far better for you than doing a half arsed set of 4 with a heavier weight and not completing the full range of motion. Watch the how to’s on youtube, practise them with a broomstick, and then when you’re at the gym, ask someone to make sure you’re doing them properly. Start with an empty bar for every exercise. You will struggle because they are difficult lifts, but you want them to be difficult. After you master the form, you’ll want to be lifting a tiny incremental increase with every gym session, this will prevent your body settling and neglecting repairing muscle. A lot of these exercises can be done with kettlebells, but you will find that you will reach a point where you stall with the kettlebells, because you can’t go from a 30kg bell to a 35kg bell, but if you’d been using a bar, you could’ve gone 30 – 31 – 32.5 – 34 – 35 over a few sessions instead. Stalling for a length of time means your body goes back into the mode of conserving energy, you don’t want this.

You need to start using your head about how you eat, you have a budget of each macro-nutrient that you can consume a day, so plan how you’re going to do this while getting enough calories. Look at what you have been eating on the WW diet and see how this doesn’t fit into what I’ve said above, think about this, “Why would WW want to make anyone not fat? They are returning customers, if they succeed, they don’t come back, and WW loses money”. What kind of business plan tries to get rid of customers?

It's not exactly correct, there's a few things that are "what I think and not what I can prove", but the overall message is simple

To lose weight
    Eat less, do more

To lose fat
    Eat less carbs, do more heavy lifting, and don’t waste time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 musicfood

Resi12 wrote: »
    Ahhh right..

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I kinda got all anxious from this thread and beat myself up and fell off the wagon so to speak. I thought I was doing things right but apparently not?

Starting tomorrow I'm getting back into the swing of things, can people please tell me tips? I'm new to all this, my old diet is disgusting and full of carbs and junk. I try so hard to get protein and cut down on carbs but besides eggs and fish I am kinda stumped how to get it in there which is what this thread was about in the first place. As for carbs.. growing up they were a staple and only now do I realise how bad they are, so what is the best replacement? I know I should have some still.

I'm sick of being so big, I want to be happy again and I haven't been in a fcuking long time. I went shopping in Zara recently and I literally had to ask for the biggest size in everything, which they didn't have thus killing my perfect outfit someone skinny could have worn! Sorry for the attitude, I just binged and feel like sh!te over it..

Hi Resi,
    Some parts of your post jumped out at me - it's clear that you really want to change for the sake of your overall health and wellbeing. Perhaps this is what you should focus on. In my experience, drastically cutting down on junky carbs and processed food, and replacing them with natural (and MUCH tastier) natural food is the way to go. This way, you'll immediately FEEL a lot better, which will enable you to continue with a healthy eating plan, and pretty quickly you'll LOOK a lot better too. And the happy circle continues!

The thing is though, you have to be honest about what will actually work for you. Sure, people here (rightly) say: eat eggs every morning! But if you're more likely to rush and eat on the go, have some apples (or whatever handy fruit you like) and a few slices of cheese, handful of nuts, or whatever, in the kitchen that you can just grab as you leave.

Be realistic about what your weaknesses are. Do you crave chocolate in work in the afternoon? Or are you so wrecked in the evening that a big carby dinner is just what you want, followed by a snack later on perhaps? If you know that you're always going to eat something junky and calorific at a certain time (nothing wrong with that at first, if everything else is OK), then just try to compensate for that later - cook a smaller dinner, or do a bit of exercise maybe.

There's a lot more I could say http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif but, in my own experience, you've got to really figure out what your body needs and craves. This can be disconcerting at first, as you might discover you love oily salmon and broccoli with lots of supposedly 'bad' real butter and a fair bit of salt, but keep with it; it's a lot better for you than unsatisfying 'low-fat' pre-packaged and processed muck.

Good luck!

ETA: hope I don't come across as condescending or anything; I used to be overweight and it took a few years to figure out what to do, so just want to help others too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Thank you! That article is great, so basically I am going to join a gym. I wasn't doing much weight lifting and though maybe I didn't need too but it's obvious I do.

I think they have a trainer/nutritionist there as well so I may see their services just so I can go about things right.

@musicfood, thanks a million. I do have cravings but I guess I just have to ween them off for now and replace them with something better. Not condescending at all, don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi resi, the only thinkgthats been working for me is weight lifting and eating low carb and have lost almost a stone in about 4-5 weeks. I wont lie, it has been difficult, and nearly one day a week I will fall off the wagon (drinks/dinner out etc had a chicken kebab the other day, and loved it rather than wolfing it down because why not) but I allow myself that day, and if I can, Ill go for a healthier option (think steak but without the creamy sauce, but with maybe a couple of chips).

I completely changed the way I eat. But my motivation was that I was hungry all the time and didnt feel well. Every morning for the last 4-5 weeks I have gotton my arse out of bed and made my breakfast. Go to the gym. Drink lots of water. Ive never eaten so much veg and fruit (mainly raw carrotts, apples, strawberries-I ate a whole punnet today!). I still occasionally eat brown bread and brown rice.

I found that the hardest part was organising myself - I have to decide/plan today what I am going to have for dinner tomorrow, you know? A lot of cooking involved, but you get used to it.

I liken it to stopping smoking - you get to a place in your head/life where you just want to stop. So either you are not in that place yet (but want to be), or your organisation is wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement