Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a fattie please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

paultf wrote: »
    Just wondering about Robbie's dog food. Some of the posts on this thread have given the food good comments.

I have my dogs on Burns - they like it but I am wondering should I change it to Robbie's. Burns is a very plain food, whereas Robbie's has more ingredients that might make the food more interesting. Also its better value than Burns.

Funnily enough when I google Land Of Holistics/Robbie's I don't get back much information. In one way this is a good thing i.e. no bad comments, but in another way where are all the good reviews?

I am wondering should I change food or is it best left as is? What do you think?

TBH I only changed because he was getting Robbies/Luath at day care and Burns at home and chopping and changing between the two wasn't agreeing with him. It made a huge difference to his coat - really really shiny and thicker - I'd tried salmon oil and sprays when he was on Burns but his coat was always really dull. Also the poos were much better. Then last time I got a bag of Luath they had no chicken flavor left so I got the lamb and his poos are better than ever so I'll stick to lamb from now on! I give him Luath most days and Robbies as a treat at the weekend or after his hydro :) He LOVES the Robbies!! If eg I make it up before we go for a walk he charges in the door we get back and and sits at the counter waiting for it lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Has anyone got any information on Royal Canin? I was going to get Burns but there wasn't a light version so decided on RC light instead but will change if anyone knows anything negative about it...

annascott wrote: »
    Has anyone got any information on Royal Canin? I was going to get Burns but there wasn't a light version so decided on RC light instead but will change if anyone knows anything negative about it...

Burns is already light because it has a low percentage of protein. I wouldn't rate royal canin too highly - my guy was hyper on it and always getting the runs! If you look at the ingrediants it contains lots of fillers - I prefer to have a list of simple ingrediants and I know what they all are! :p You can buy burns on zooplus.ie/zooplus.co.uk (compare the two sites as one is usually cheaper that the other) or there may be a vet near you who stocks it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

After my shocking realisation today that I am not doing my little dog any favours by feeding her Pedigree Complete, I thought I would switch to Robbies as it seemed to be such a popular choice. Unfortunately, it is not available where I live and it isn't practical for me to make a monthly 6 hour round trip to get it.

Just order it online from the Mobile Pet Shop? That's what I do. :)

Just wondering about Robbie's dog food. Some of the posts on this thread have given the food good comments.

It's a niche product from a small company, most people haven't heard of it. Really most people hear about it through word of mouth. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

Just thought I'd let you know that Daisy ate her breakfast this morning:D

Yay, go Daisy.

She has held out for 2 1/2 days but this morning she gave in and gobbled up her High Oats. She must be well on her way to a 1kg weight loss this month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ohmfg wrote: »
    Just thought I'd let you know that Daisy ate her breakfast this morning:D

Yay, go Daisy.

She has held out for 2 1/2 days but this morning she gave in and gobbled up her High Oats. She must be well on her way to a 1kg weight loss this month:D

Well done thats great, sometimes tough love is the only way to go.

My rottie hald out for 3 full days without eating a scrap of food as he was holding out for something tastier, my own fault really:o.
    I could hear his belly rumbling and all and he wouldnt eat it, so after 3 days he gave in and just ate what he was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yay! Well done for holding out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On top of the beta food which my westie gets, we put a small bit of Royal Canin veterinary dog food on top to get her "interested" in the food. Yes, she's spoilt, but the veterinary dog food is not as heavy as ceasers, so she doesn't put on as much weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Royal Canin food is a good food, but I find it overpriced for what you get. Burns "High Oats" is designed for pudgy dogs and helps get ther wieght off them. Don't worry about buying the RC though, use it and once you finish the bag you can buy another food. Another good brand, that does a good light version, is James Wellbeloved (just so you know!).

Also, on the whole Pedigree situation - first off, good on you for switching - don't beat yourself up too much about it, you're on the right path now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

boomerang wrote: »
    It's a niche product from a small company, most people haven't heard of it. Really most people hear about it through word of mouth. :)

As some you may have guessed from my previous posts I like checking out different dog foods to find the best one. I also like emailing food manufacturers for information. Anyways I emailed George Burns asking him could he give me good reasons for switching from Burns to Robbie's. A bit cheeky. :)

His response is below. I am not sure whether to change. Robbie's seems like a really good food. Some people say if your dog is happy on a food don't change. What I have to figure out is Robbie's a better food than Burns and worth the change. What do you think?

"Hello Paul,

You are asking me if you should change foods! I changed company does that not say enough?

Tooth tarter is usually caused by food stagnating in the gut and then backing up over the teeth and gums. As for your dogs eating Pop - read here -
    http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/dog_eating_poop.html

The advantages of Robbie's over all dried kibble .
    1. Less processing means more of the nutrients available for your dog.
    2. Less precessing means strengthening the digestive system ( Dogs starting on Robbie's struggle to digest the carrots - after a few weeks problem resolved)
    3. Generally and far greater range of appropriate vegetables and herbs = means dog less likely to lack chlorophyll in the diet.
    4. All swelling of food takes place in the bowl therefore no requirement to draw on body fluids to digest food. = Less likelihood for gastric torsion/bloat
    5. Dogs are more satisfied with less food simply because moisture is included in the diet.
    6. Thermal balance of the ingredients - Hot, cool, moist and dry - See here for fuller explanation
    http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/Holistic Nutrition for dogs - a Brief Explanation 2011.pdf
    7. As above - balance of acid/ alkaline relationship
    8. There are many more advantages but I prefer owners to point them out and express as you have already heard. Read between the lines -
    http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/Testimonial Sheelagh.pdf

Robbie's Holistic Cuisine is blended in our own premise in Kilmarnock, Scotland. We only make small amounts at a time - 200kg or 20 x 10kg bags. This ensures we get the blend correct
    and consistent. Each ingredient is weighed out individually to ensure the proportions are correct every time. We used to have Robbie's made in the same plant that Burns was made but had nothing but problems with consistency and quality. Money was the determining factor to them!

Hope this helps

George Burns
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Sorry to barge in on this topic but I was wondering about dog food. I posted a separate thread but I haven't gotten any replies yet.
    My golden retriever is around 5 years old and is overweight. A few months ago, we switched him from Bakers etc to Burns High Oats. Now we have Hills Advanced Fitness (although it's the wrong food but it was opened before we could change it).
    I was looking on the Hills website and there are 2 prescription weight loss foods. It says it is proven to lower body fat by 22%. What food is better - Burns or Hills?
    I did do some research before we got Burns (Hills was bought by accident) and they were the nicest and most helpful and because it was a weight loss food we got that. I tried contacting Hills but all I get is an error page.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know much about Hills but I have mine on Burns - chicken and brown rice.

When I started the dogs on it the older one went from 14kg to 11kg. Burns dogs are reknowed for being slim. Anytime I have been in touch with Burns they always come up with this stat that a slim dog will live 2 years longer. Even one customer advisor told me she has a springer spaniel and she only feeds him 65g of Burns a day - and he even gets 3 hours exercise a day.

If you stick to the feeding guidelines i.e. 10g/Kg, cut the treats out and exercise, your dog will lose weight.

I suppose one downside Paul is that Robbies isn't as widely available as Burns. You'll have to order it online, most likely.

That said, I've had my dogs on a range of good foods, including Burns, Arden Grange, Orijen and James Wellbeloved - and yet there was a marked jump in both their energy levels and body condition when I switched to Robbies. :)

Mary Strauss and other canine nutritionists advocate switching brands every now and then. So even if you don't go with Robbies, it's good to rotate foods rather than feeding the one brand of kibble all their lives. Mary Strauss has just written a good article on this, here:

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/dwswitching.html

I suppose one downside Paul is that Robbies isn't as widely available as Burns. You'll have to order it online, most likely.

I have been checking out Robbie's online. It seems to be a good dog food.

The only problem is the cost. I can get a 15kg bag of Burns for €45. A 10kg bag of Robbie's is €55. I have 3 cockers so the cost for the year:-

Burns: 8 bags x €45 = €360

Robbie's: 12 bags x €55 = €682

Huge difference! I suppose I could go for Luath (as it's cheaper: €55/15kg bag) but if I did that I might aswell stay with Burns! So I have come a full circle! At least though I found out some information about Land Of Holistic foods.

The only problem is the cost. I can get a 15kg bag of Burns for €45. A 10kg bag of Robbie's is €55. I have 3 cockers so the cost for the year:-

Huge difference! I suppose I could go for Luath (as it's cheaper: €55/15kg bag) but if I did that I might aswell stay with Burns! So I have come a full circle! At least though I found out some information about Land Of Holistic foods.

You feed less of the Robbies - 8 grams per kilo compared to 10/kg on Burns/Luath so i think (knackered and can't think so probably way off lol) it'd work out at 10 bags of Robbies per year but still more expensive! I was the same why bother changing from Burns - only really switched because he was getting an upset tummy from switching between the two. He has to be kept thin for his legs and there's just one of him lol so a 7.5 kg bag lasts about 5 weeks.

You're not comparing like with like though, Paul. Bear in mind that 10kg of dry Robbies makes 20kg of food. Burns works out at €3 per kilo of food; rehydrated Robbies works out at €2.75 per kilo of food.

Robbies feeding guidelines: 8-10g per kg bodyweight.
    Burns feeding guidelines: 10g per kg bodyweight.

So actually Robbies works out cheaper!

You're not comparing like with like though, Paul. Bear in mind that 10kg of dry Robbies makes 20kg of food. Burns works out at €3 per kilo of food; rehydrated Robbies works out at €2.75 per kilo of food.

Robbies feeding guidelines: 8-10g per kg bodyweight.
    Burns feeding guidelines: 10g per kg bodyweight.

So actually Robbies works out cheaper!

boomerang, I haven't had any coffee yet today so I am struggling with the calculations! :)

Anyways, I know what what you are saying about soaking the food and doubling in size. Its just one of the emails I sent to George Burns I asked about feeding guidelines:-

"Hi Paul,

Every dog is different - as a starting point I suggest 10g of dry food per KG of body weight.
    Older dogs require less, younger, very active dogs may require more.

George
    "

So regardless of the food doubling in size after soaking I would still need to measure out 10g/kg of dried Robbie's. Am I right in saying that?

So my dogs (3 cockers) get in total 340g/day.

Burns:
    15kg/340g => 1 bag will last 44 days => 8 bags/year @ €45 = €360

Robbie's:
    10kg/340g => 1 bag will last 29 days => 12 bags/year @ €55 = 660

So Burns works out at €3/kg. Robbie's €5.50/kg (dry) and €2.75/kg (wet).

But its 10g/kg of dry food that I measure out for each dog so it's €5.50/kg that applies not €2.75/kg.

That's how I calculate it! Now I am off to get some coffee! :)

EDIT: Also have you seen this link? It compares the cost per kg for Robbie's and Luath. Surely this compares dry food to dry food.

http://www.landofholisticpets.ie/Dog_feeding_costs.html

Robbie's €5.52/kg
    Luath: €3.74/kg

Hey Paul, I also need more coffee :D

But I think I missed the point that you were comparing dry Burns to dry Robbies, in which case, you're absolutely right, the Robbies is more expensive. :)

Advertisement