Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins sounds off. Lots of atheists upset.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Judging by another quick reading of the links in the OP, it seems Watson's schtick is to lose the plot at the drop of a hat. Being asked back to someone's room at 4am seems like it only admits of "sexual objectification" in the sense that we are all sexual objects, assuming anyone ever wants to have sex with us.

Meh, there's probably a lot I'm missing that I might read on to find, but so far agree with Dawkins and his "zero harm" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wow. Just shy of two years. The only thing this whole spat did was to get me to stop following PZ Meyers because he's a bit of an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

keane2097 wrote: »
    I did that before and had to stop because I didn't know who any of the protagonists were and it all seemed very inane.

It might be easier to just ask if I'm right in thinking Watson in this instance Watson has had a freak attack over a tame enough speech? I could be reading everything wrong here admittedly.

Actually I think you have hit the nail pretty much on the head.

As an extension of that point, I can't believe it's been two years. Wow.

Some good memories, in fairness. Remember when Zombrex popped over to Atheism+ with reason and civility and received nothing but horrendous abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I also vaguely recall dipping in and out of an atheism+ thread a while ago and not having a clue what was going on in that either. Was that the place where all men were essentially rapists in waiting?

• Advertisement

I think it was called "The Vatican". >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe i should go and corner her in a lift

I'm going :)

Morag wrote: »

SAEXY MORAG/bLUEWOLF/WATSON ELEMAVATOR FUNTIEMZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sarky wrote: »
    Some good memories, in fairness. Remember when Zombrex popped over to Atheism+ with reason and civility and received nothing but horrendous abuse?

Oh happy days.

More seriously, yes people like Rebecca Watson/Ophelia Benson get a large amount of internet harassment, in part because they feed the trolls so well, and the drama does them good too. However they seem blind to the vitriol they spew, not at people actually sending them abuse but at people like:

Russell Blackford (A lying f**khead according to PZ Myers)
    Richard Dawkins
    Abbie Smith
    Harriet Hall
    Paula Kirby
    etc.

So we have a situation where high profile female feminists are being trolled successfully (that's not to say that the stuff they're receiving isn't nasty or upsetting) and in turn spew the most nasty and hateful stuff at others ... people who certainly are not the ones sending them nasty emails.

Anyone interested in how a tiny incident can split a community in 2 can have a look at the timeline here:

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Freethoughtblogs_timeline

Serves him right for mansplaining! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

We can at least be certain that no one actually succeeded in taking her up the shaft. :-D

Galvasean wrote: »
    Serves him right for mansplaining! :mad:

Mansplaining : When a man tells a woman she's wrong, even when she is. :-D

keane2097 wrote: »
    I also vaguely recall dipping in and out of an atheism+ thread a while ago and not having a clue what was going on in that either. Was that the place where all men were essentially rapists in waiting?

I believe so, by sheer coincidence one of their chief complaints seems to be how nobody takes Feminism seriously these days... :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wow. Just shy of two years. The only thing this whole spat did was to get me to stop following PZ Meyers because he's a bit of an arsehole.

...I read some dire bit of puke he put up soon after this started - supposedly guidelines as regards how to behave at a conference - and came to the conclusion that my violent younger self would beat the head off him, and that afterwards my older self might well join in.

:rolleyes:

OMG Check your rolleyes privilege!

That's 2 kicks to the shins, when I see you next Sarky.

silentrust wrote: »
    Mansplaining : When a man tells a woman she's wrong, even when she is. :-D

Or when a woman does it to Emma Watson and her zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Galvasean wrote: »
    Or when a woman does it to Emma Watson and her zealots.

If you're not a zealot about Emma Watson there's something wrong with you.:o

That's 2 kicks to the shins, when I see you next Sarky.

I find that grossly offensive on behalf of those people born without shins, or who have removed theirs as a lifestyle choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Are you saying it's okay for children to be raised by shin-less parents?

Stop f*cking shinsplaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Are you saying it's okay for children to be raised by shin-less parents?

Are you saying its not?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I think if you just observe around you, you'll realize it's not natural.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I think if you just observe around you, you'll realize it's not natural.

Agreed - would you want one to marry your daughter after all? :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

First you let these shinless people marry, then we'll ALL be marrying our own daughters!

First you let these shinless people marry, then we'll ALL be marrying our own daughters!

Well it'll be their own fault for being so damn attractive!! :-D

Anyway to return to the topic at hand which underlines my long held belief that every conversation with a Feminist is an angry rant from an uptight woman who's probably just in need of a good ... bit of shinsplaining. :-D

Repent to the Lord Jesus Christ, that their shins may be forgiven!

Repent to the Lord Jesus Christ, that their shins may be forgiven!

For God so loved the world he gave us his only Shin... :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

silentrust wrote: »
    Well it'll be their own fault for being so damn attractive!! :-D

Anyway to return to the topic at hand which underlines my long held belief that every conversation with a Feminist is an angry rant from an uptight woman who's probably just in need of a good ... bit of shinsplaining. :-D

Are you a lapsed priest? C'mon. Own up!

Advertisement