Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women get paid less because they take more sick leave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Good for you. But you don't represent all women, so cannot use yourself to diminish another's point of view
    Nor can you use quotes that you cannot link to, nor does any of what crashvictim is presenting as FACT (female DNA = less productivity???) have any grounding in reality whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Surely that would be 35% on average? Why would you penalise all women based on that evidence? And doctors (in Ireland anyway) work far more hours than they get paid for.

Of course it should be on a case by case basis. Agreed. But we, and the foot in mouth politician, are dealing in generalisations. Averages, if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crashvictim

and the lack of fatherly instinct that allows fathers NOT to consult doctors/dentists when their children are ill/toothachey???

How often in a lifetime will most women give birth and take maternity leave?

Does EVERY woman suffer from pre-menstrual tension? Do they take the full 5 days off every month? Jeez! Cripes, hospitals full of nurses must surely almost close down with the short-staffing, and schools with all the teachers. If I lived in the same planet as you, crashvictim, it'd be a national crisis.

Your another one who cant read what I wrote, and also what the former CEO of that New Zealand company wrote. SOME women NOT ALLwomen take sick leave because of period problems. I also said ONE of the issues is pre menstrual tension ONE again in bold. There are more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

You said:

"Why don't we see men taking half the necessary kid-related days off? Because they typically"

Yes, I think that's a fair statement. It implied that more women than men take time off for their children. Do you really dispute that?

"They typically" implies that this does not apply to all men. Where's the logic flaw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Nor can you use quotes that you cannot link to, nor does any of what crashvictim is presenting as FACT (female DNA = less productivity???) have any grounding in reality whatsoever.

So you accept my point then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

So you accept my point then?
    Why wouldn't I? I never claimed to represent half of humanity, just proved there is at least one exception to the OPs claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

You have it in your head that I want to penalise women because of the average. In new Zealand women are paid on average 12% less then men. It does not mean all women are paid 12% less then men, some are paid higher and some are paid lower. The ones who are paid lower I assume will have families to look after, hormonal problems, problems with menstruation etc.

No those statistics mean for every $1 a man earns a woman will earn 88 cents, it doesn't mean that women earn less because they work less (http://www.neon.org.nz/eeoissues/payequity/). The dispute is that women are paid less for the same amount of work done. Then this gentleman, Alasdair Thompson, said ""Who takes the most sick leave? Women do, in general," he said.

"Why? Because once a month they have sick problems. Not all of them, but some do."

Then he rightly got fired. Get it?

Why wouldn't I? I never claimed to represent half of humanity, just proved there is at least one exception to the OPs claims.

Just what are my claims, I agree with the former CEO that some and not all of women take the piss with sick leave, taking time off for the kids, maternity leave etc. How about Sean Quinns daughter who was off for a full year before being let go. This is the reason why men earn more then women.

I've never known a woman who took time off for that reason. I believe that only a small percentage of women would have such difficulty in regard that that they would need time off work. I also believe that if they did they would find it highly embarrassing to say that that was the reason, so I don't know how these reports would come about.

No those statistics mean for every $1 a man earns a woman will earn 88 cents, it doesn't mean that women earn less because they work less (http://www.neon.org.nz/eeoissues/payequity/). The dispute is that women are paid less for the same amount of work done. Then this gentleman, Alasdair Thompson, said ""Who takes the most sick leave? Women do, in general," he said.

"Why? Because once a month they have sick problems. Not all of them, but some do."

Then he rightly got fired. Get it?

A quick question are you male or female. Are you a professional or a student. I think you are extremely biased in your views.

• Advertisement

A quick question are you male or female. Are you a professional or a student. I think you are extremely biased in your views.

I'm a male masters student like yourself. And I'm not biased, I'm right.

I'm a male masters student like yourself.

So do you have any experience in the working environment?

So do you have any experience in the working environment?

I've done a 6 month work placement as part of my masters. I also worked in dunnes stores for 2 and a half years. And I still think you're posting crap.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Women barstaff are ten times slower and don't have to lift kegs/do the stock.
    They also don't have to deal with unruly customers.

Fact.

They get paid the same though.

I could care less though, certainly wouldn't be spouting my views if I was the head of some large union or employment agency or whatever that Kiwi was/

jayteecork wrote: »
    Women barstaff are ten times slower and don't have to lift kegs/do the stock.
    They also don't have to deal with unruly customers.

Fact.

They get paid the same though.

Have to deal with getting hit on by drunk dopes though. And I've never noticed female bar staff being any slower. Pour pint, serve pint, no?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Have to deal with getting hit on by drunk dopes though. And I've never noticed female bar staff being any slower. Pour pint, serve pint, no?

Trust me when the bar gets busy then stay in second gear with their heads down finishing one order before they move on.

Men tend to run about taking 4-5 orders at once.

I worked in bars for like ages 16-23. I know.

I don't give a **** as such but when I'm breaking my back on kegs while women are nattering to customers it gets bit annoying.

I've done a 6 month work placement as part of my masters. I also worked in dunnes stores for 2 and a half years. And I still think you're posting crap.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions but I am of the opinion that you are wrong. Wait till your working five or six years. When your female colleagues start having Kids, when you have deadlines to meet, working late with your male colleagues and the females have had to go home to pick up the kids etc etc (Happened more then once) see what your opinion is. Some females are brilliant, however some are not.

Worst worker I ever knew was a guy. That's about as much evidence as anyone else here has provided, so I shall decide that men are worse workers than women.

Here is one. On boards.ie in the work problems forum, there is a female who is complaining about heavy lifting. They are certain limits set out for how much a female lift and how much a male can lift. The male can lift more, yet females still expect to be paid the same?

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions but I am of the opinion that you are wrong. Wait till your working five or six years. When your female colleagues start having Kids, when you have deadlines to meet, working late with your male colleagues and the females have had to go home to pick up the kids etc etc (Happened more then once) see what your opinion is. Some females are brilliant, however some are not.

And some men are brilliant and some are not. No one here has any actual hard evidence that women deserve to be paid less than men and on that I'm 100% sure that more than half the population will agree with me on that. In which case I shall declare victory and bid you good night gentlemen.

• Advertisement

Yes, but it's a cultural problem when many people see it as their female colleagues are having kids. Some people would say the fathers are also having kids. There seems to be an attitude that women take their kids to the dentist because they enjoy it. They don't. They do it because they have too.

Children are the responsibility of, at the very least the two people concerned, and depending on your point of view, possibly all of society. Society needs children and younger generations coming along, and therefore the people who do the donkey-work, need to be accommodated in this regard. To let them do all the work, while penalising them pay-wise and then reap the benefits is just taking advantage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Here is one. On boards.ie in the work problems forum, there is a female who is complaining about heavy lifting. They are certain limits set out for how much a female lift and how much a male can lift. The male can lift more, yet females still expect to be paid the same?

Actually you are incorrect there. The op in that thread is complaining about having to do more heavy lifting as their female colleague is pregnant and not able to do it. The Op didn't say if they were male or female.

That's basic English comprehension.
    Maybe if they want a career, a very successful career. They shouldnt have kids. The moment they have kids they forfeit that right and all the benefits that come with it. They have commitments, and female DNA will dictate that they assume responsibility for the rearing of the child.

I'm finding this so funny I can't even feel outraged at it :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Actually you are incorrect there. The op in that thread is complaining about having to do more heavy lifting as their female colleague is pregnant and not able to do it. The Op didn't say if they were male or female.

That's basic English comprehension.

I'm finding this so funny I can't even feel outraged at it :)

Typical. I wont even bother replying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Typical. I wont even bother replying.

Typical what?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He got fired because he promoted the idea that women on their periods aren't good workers. Which is basically shíte.

I would have assumed anyone who is in any sort of discomfort would be generally performing at a lower level than someone who is not.

as was said in the peice "not all" but a lot of women do suffer very badly during this time so surely it would make sense they would perform less or be more likely to take time off?

ntlbell wrote: »
    I would have assumed anyone who is in any sort of discomfort would be generally performing at a lower level than someone who is not.

as was said in the peice "not all" but a lot of women do suffer very badly during this time so surely it would make sense they would perform less or be more likely to take time off?

You're also assuming that all women are in discomfort while on their periods which isn't the case by a long shot. only 2-5% show significant symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are there no official statistics on this?
    I can't see anyone sponsoring such a sexist survey.
    This is just laughable now.
    Look at 2 women, one with kids, and one without kids. Which woman do you think would be at a higher position? The one that took a few months out, missed promotions, and took a few months getting back into the swing of things, and couldn't do overtime or the women who continued to work?
    I also worked in dunnes stores for 2 and a half years.
    Whilst working in Dunnes, did men and women do equal duties, and lift equal weights?

Stheno wrote: »
    Typical what?

Look, I posted in the gentlemen's club for a reason. I wanted to see mens reaction to it, now if I wanted female reaction to it I would of posted it in the ladies lounge. The reason is that females are biased to such a discussion and wont reply logically to the question, you answer in an insulting way with no relevance to the topic at hand. In a very hormonal fashion. You take it as an insult.

I am merely reporting the cold truths. People like yourself dont like the cold truth because for some strange reason you think men are on the same footing women. In the harsh light of reliality, men put more work into their career. Look at the number of male CEO's compared to female CEO's, Male board members compared to female board members. Look at the number male T.D's compared to female ones. This isnt one big male conspiracy, its due to fact that to get to the top you need to give that commitment. Females for the most part cant give that commitment due to having Kids, periods, maternity leave etc etc.

You laugh at the fact that I say if women want to have equal career chances as men then they shouldnt have kids, well I laugh at that. There I bit.

the_syco wrote: »
    Look at 2 women, one with kids, and one without kids. Which woman do you think would be at a higher position? The one that took a few months out, missed promotions, and took a few months getting back into the swing of things, and couldn't do overtime or the women who continued to work?
    That a women who doesn't have children is more likely to be promoted isn't in question. It's the fact that a woman in NZ doing the same job as a man can expect to earn 88 cents for every 1$ the man earns.

the_syco wrote: »
    Whilst working in Dunnes, did men and women do equal duties, and lift equal weights?
    For the most part yeah. There were some areas like the checkouts which were female dominated, but in the drapery and grocery floor areas, men and women did the same jobs. Packing out shelves, hygiene teams, deli counters etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You're also assuming that all women are in discomfort while on their periods which isn't the case by a long shot. only 2-5% show significant symptoms.

You missed the "not all" then...

Advertisement