Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women get paid less because they take more sick leave

Options
  • 06-07-2011 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14041959

It is very hard to see this man hounded out of his Job because he said some home truths. I for one agree with it but you are not allowed to say it out loud for fear of being called a sexist. When I worked (Finishing masters at the moment), there was six males and three Females. In my opinion the females were the less productive for a number of reasons, they took more sick days. The men took roughly less then one day each when I was working there, I remember the females being out on a regular occurance. Sometimes they had to go early for Dentist, Doctor appointments for Kids. Coming up to communion/confirmation they would be gone for long lunchs looking at clothes etc. Now that is my experience, others may have a different view. It is time for women to stop playing the sexism card and accept facts and get on with it.
    "Who takes the most sick leave? Women do, in general," he said.

"Why? Because once a month they have sick problems. Not all of them, but some do.

"They have children that they have to take time off to go home and take leave of. Therefore it's their productivity. It's not their fault."

He continued: "I'm sorry, I don't like saying these things because it sounds like I'm sexist, but it's the facts of life."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

It is very hard to see this man hounded out of his Job because he said some home truths. I for one agree with it but you are not allowed to say it out loud for fear of being called a sexist. When I worked (Finishing masters at the moment), there was six males and three Females. In my opinion the females were the less productive for a number of reasons, they took more sick days. The men took roughly less then one day each when I was working there, I remember the females being out on a regular occurance. Sometimes they had to go early for Dentist, Doctor appointments for Kids. Coming up to communion/confirmation they would be gone for long lunchs looking at clothes etc. Now that is my experience, others may have a different view. It is time for women to stop playing the sexism card and accept facts and get on with it.

He got fired because he promoted the idea that women on their periods aren't good workers. Which is basically shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

i wouldn't really agree with that to be honest. If I were to label a demographic most likely to be out sick it'd be 20-25yr old males after a weekend on a lash.

thats just my experience though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crashvictim

He got fired because he promoted the idea that women on their periods aren't good workers. Which is basically shíte.

Whats your source on the info? or is it only your opinion. He did same some and not all.

RedXIV wrote: »
    i wouldn't really agree with that to be honest. If I were to label a demographic most likely to be out sick it'd be 20-25yr old males after a weekend on a lash.

thats just my experience though

What is the average wage of a 20-25 year old in comparison to the average male. I dont know the figure but I bet you its a lot less. Is that ageism?

Whats your source on the info? or is it only your opinion. He did same some and not all.

Did you actually read the article you linked to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Some of the reasons he gives are ridiculous. If people (women or men) have to take time off for doctors appointments or because kids are sick there should be the flexibility in the workplace to allow for this – therefore productivity loss should not be an issue.
    I’ve worked in an office where some of the lads have come in on a Monday morning after their GAA team has won/been hammered in a less than productive mood, I'm sure it's the same in NZ.
    TBH the real surprise is that someone in such a position would come out with these statements in a public forum – demonstrates poor judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What is the average wage of a 20-25 year old in comparison to the average male. I dont know the figure but I bet you its a lot less. Is that ageism?

no thats generally lack of experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I have never witnessed women being less productive than men when carrying out a particular task, so I think it's fair that they get paid the same rate for doing so.

I have no idea about whether women take more days leave than men, but if any man or woman spends fewer days at work, then being paid less is fair enough. But that should be a case-by-case thing. There should not be a 12% gap in the average pay for men and women. That's a lottt, like! I couldn't imagine that women spend 12% less time on average working than men doing the same tasks.

Sure, there are a couple of times when the 'sexism card' has been played wrongly. But in the majority of cases, including this as far as I can see it, there is definitely genuine sexism involved.

Did you actually read the article you linked to?

Did you? you more or less said that women who are on their periods are as productive as women who are not. I said whats your source, the BBC article has nothing to do with it. He said SOME women, not ALL women call in sick once a month due to problems with menstration.

Here is an article about Premenstrual syndrome, one of the preffects of that time of the month for women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002474/
    The most common physical symptoms include:

Abdominal fullness, feeling gaseous

Bloating of the abdomen

Breast tenderness

Clumsiness

Constipation or diarrhea

Food cravings

Headache

Less tolerance for noises and lights

Other symptoms include:

Confusion

Difficulty concentrating

Fatigue

Feelings of sadness or hopelessness (See also: Premenstrual dysphoric disorder)

Feelings of tension, anxiety, or edginess

Forgetfulness

Irritable, hostile, or aggressive behavior, with outbursts of anger toward self or others

Loss of sex drive (may be increased in some women)

Mood swings

Poor judgment

Poor self-image, feelings of guilt, or increased fears

Sleep problems (sleeping too much or too little)

Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement

The fact is this man was hounded out of a job for stating what is a known fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You cannot be serious.

ANYONE would have to leave for the dentist.
    Fathers would be just as likely to leave for Doctor's appointments.
    Going on long lunches to look at clothes? I assume they'd be taking the kids out of class for that as well then? Any normal person does it on the weekend, after school or on a day off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Sometimes they had to go early for Dentist, Doctor appointments for Kids. Coming up to communion/confirmation they would be gone for long lunchs looking at clothes etc. Now that is my experience, others may have a different view. It is time for women to stop playing the sexism card and accept facts and get on with it.

Yes, but why were all these kid-related issues being dealt with by women? These kids have fathers presumably. Why don't we see men taking half the necessary kid-related days off? Because they typically have female partners who are willing to put up with making all the career-related sacrifices for the kids.

You cannot be serious.

ANYONE would have to leave for the dentist.
    Fathers would be just as likely to leave for Doctor's appointments.
    Going on long lunches to look at clothes? I assume they'd be taking the kids out of class for that as well then? Any normal person does it on the weekend, after school or on a day off.

I'm telling you my experience. But generally women bring their children to the dentist, doctor etc. Its not their fault, its their motherly instinct. Yet they whinge about wage inequality when they clearly cant give the same commitment as men to the job. Wheter that will be by giving birth, being sick once a month etc etc.

Did you? you more or less said that women who are on their periods are as productive as women who are not. I said whats your source, the BBC article has nothing to do with it. He said SOME women, not ALL women call in sick once a month due to problems with menstration.

Here is an article about Premenstrual syndrome, one of the preffects of that time of the month for women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002474/

The fact is this man was hounded out of a job for stating what is a known fact.

Great in that case you'll know that only 2-5% of women suffer from significant symptoms. And in regards your link
    The head of a major New Zealand employers' group has been fired after he caused public outrage by linking women's productivity to menstruation.

Alasdair Thompson of the Employers' and Manufacturers' Association made his comments on a radio show last month.

Mr Thompson said women were paid less than men because they took more sick leave and "have children they have to take time off to go home" to care for.

Prime Minister John Key said Mr Thompson's dismissal was inevitable.

"I don't think it's surprising," Mr Key told reporters. "In the end that's a matter for EMA, but I'm not shocked by it."

Asked if the decision took too long, Mr Key said employment matters were often complex and it was as matter for the EMA.

"But in the end this situation he got himself into didn't look like it was sustainable."

'Brain explosion'
    Mr Thompson's comments were made during a NewstalkZB interview on 23 June, during a debate on recent figures that showed New Zealand women were paid about 12% less than men.

"Who takes the most sick leave? Women do, in general," he said.

"Why? Because once a month they have sick problems. Not all of them, but some do.

"They have children that they have to take time off to go home and take leave of. Therefore it's their productivity. It's not their fault."

He continued: "I'm sorry, I don't like saying these things because it sounds like I'm sexist, but it's the facts of life."

Mr Thompson later apologised for his comments.

Minister of Labour Kate Wilkinson described the comments at the time as a "brain explosion".

Women's Affairs Minister Hekia Parata said on Wednesday that people would be pleased there had been a resolution.

"I think that it's been pretty clear from the response that the remarks made were unacceptable to a wide range of people and my own experience of talking to businesses and across the country is it was a generally felt view that they were unacceptable," she said.

Yes, but why were all these kid-related issues being dealt with by women? These kids have fathers presumably. Why don't we see men taking half the necessary kid-related days off? Because they typically have female partners who are willing to put up with making all the career-related sacrifices for the kids.

Bingo, well done. Yet when the CEO of a company points it out, he gets hounded out of a job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So as well as generalising women, we've got unfounded generalisations of men here now as well?

I'm telling you my experience. But generally women bring their children to the dentist, doctor etc. Its not their fault, its their motherly instinct. Yet they whinge about wage inequality when they clearly cant give the same commitment as men to the job. Wheter that will be by giving birth, being sick once a month etc etc.

Thankfully your experience isn't going to inform government policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Question: In a 20 year career how many hours will a typical male work?

Question: In a 20 year career how many hours will a typical female doing the same job as the male above work?

It is not correct to simply compare productivity during attendance and say wages should be equal. A study of doctors in the US published in 2006 showed that over the period of internship males had worked 35% more hours than females. Should they get the same wages because they were in the same workplace for the same number of years?
    Edit: Can't find the link now :(

Bingo, well done. Yet when the CEO of a company points it out, he gets hounded out of a job.

So, what we're really saying then is that women should be less "willing". If they want equal pay, they should tell whoever fathered the child that he has to do half the dentists/doctors visits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've never in my life rang in sick because I had my period. I did it once for a hangover when I was 24, that's about it. I take turns with my husband to take time off for kid's appointments, that's called being a responsible parent, not the maternal instinct. I'm sure there are some women who take the piss, equally there are plenty of men who do so too. You do talk a load of tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Men having less appointments may well be true. Not because of periods, but because men tend to be ignorant of health and ignore symptoms. Though in the long run this could perhaps lead to longer time off. Stitch in time saves nine and all that.

Are there no official statistics on this?

• Advertisement

So as well as generalising women, we've got unfounded generalisations of men here now as well?

I wasn't referring to all men. I was referring to the ones in the OP's example - they particular type who don't take the same amount of time off as their partners. That's why I said "typically".

And fair play to them, but this simply reaffirms the fact that women do fewer hours - for whatever reason - so over a career are less productive to an employer.

Question: In a 20 year career how many hours will a typical male work?

Question: In a 20 year career how many hours will a typical female doing the same job as the male above work?

It is not correct to simply compare productivity during attendance and say wages should be equal. A study of doctors in the US published in 2006 showed that over the period of internship males had worked 35% more hours than females. Should they get the same wages because they were in the same workplace for the same number of years?
    Edit: Can't find the link now :(

Surely that would be 35% on average? Why would you penalise all women based on that evidence? And doctors (in Ireland anyway) work far more hours than they get paid for.

So, what we're really saying then is that women should be less "willing". If they want equal pay, they should tell whoever fathered the child that he has to do half the dentists/doctors visits etc.

Maybe if they want a career, a very successful career. They shouldnt have kids. The moment they have kids they forfeit that right and all the benefits that come with it. They have commitments, and female DNA will dictate that they assume responsibility for the rearing of the child.

Maybe if they want a career, a very successful career. They shouldnt have kids. The moment they have kids they forfeit that right and all the benefits that come with it. They have commitments, and female DNA will dictate that they assume responsibility for the rearing of the child.

This is just laughable now.

I've never in my life rang in sick because I had my period. I did it once for a hangover when I was 24, that's about it. I take turns with my husband to take time off for kid's appointments, that's called being a responsible parent, not the maternal instinct. I'm sure there are some women who take the piss, equally there are plenty of men who do so too. You do talk a load of tosh.

Good for you. But you don't represent all women, so cannot use yourself to diminish another's point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

But generally women bring their children to the dentist, doctor etc. .... its their motherly instinct.

and the lack of fatherly instinct that allows fathers NOT to consult doctors/dentists when their children are ill/toothachey???
    Yet they whinge about wage inequality when they clearly cant give the same commitment as men to the job. Wheter that will be by giving birth, being sick once a month etc etc.

How often in a lifetime will most women give birth and take maternity leave?

Does EVERY woman suffer from pre-menstrual tension? Do they take the full 5 days off every month? Jeez! Cripes, hospitals full of nurses must surely almost close down with the short-staffing, and schools with all the teachers. If I lived in the same planet as you, crashvictim, it'd be a national crisis.

Surely that would be 35% on average? Why would you penalise all women based on that evidence? And doctors (in Ireland anyway) work far more hours than they get paid for.

You have it in your head that I want to penalise women because of the average. In new Zealand women are paid on average 12% less then men. It does not mean all women are paid 12% less then men, some are paid higher and some are paid lower. The ones who are paid lower I assume will have families to look after, hormonal problems, problems with menstruation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The most common physical symptoms include:
    • Abdominal fullness, feeling gaseous
    • Bloating of the abdomen
    • Breast tenderness
    • Clumsiness
    • Constipation or diarrhea
    • Food cravings
    • Headache
    • Less tolerance for noises and lights
    • Other symptoms include:
    • Confusion
    • Difficulty concentrating
    • Fatigue
    • Feelings of sadness or hopelessness (See also: Premenstrual dysphoric disorder)
    • Feelings of tension, anxiety, or edginess
    • Forgetfulness
    • Irritable, hostile, or aggressive behavior, with outbursts of anger toward self or others
    • Loss of sex drive (may be increased in some women)
    • Mood swings
    • Poor judgment
    • Poor self-image, feelings of guilt, or increased fears
    • Sleep problems (sleeping too much or too little)
    • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement

This is a normal day for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You said:

"Why don't we see men taking half the necessary kid-related days off? Because they typically"

Advertisement