Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Time to give up Games?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fnz wrote: »
    You've just depressed everyone! Gawd! ;)

Cheer us up... what are you looking forward to? Tell us there's still hope.
    Fnz wrote: »
    You've just depressed everyone! Gawd! wink.gif

Cheer us up... what are you looking forward to? Tell us there's still hope.

Haha, well to be fair it's how games feel to me these days - the fun has been sucked out by the nature of the gaming culture.

But yes, there are games that I am looking forward to; Deus Ex (though with some trepidation too), Bioshock Infinite, LA Noire (when it appears on the PC), the "new" X-com has me curious - so there's games out there I'm interested in, just the general hobby feels less like a hobby, more like a wind-up!
    You need hugs and sunshines m8.

Not everything is so bad. If you still want a challenge and a good mature game, then get witcher 2. Trust me, it wont hold your hand. It will bite it, them infect it, then let you play while slamming a geography world atlas on your balls every now and then.
    Then demons souls? It will give you a hand in first 5 minutes, then hit you in the balls, break your hands and pass you a controller. Good game thought ;) .

I actually picked up The Witcher 1 some time before the sequel came out. I stopped playing about 20 odd hours in as a lot of the quests seemed like enlongated fetch-quests, so I found that a bit tiresome. But otherwise, yes I agree - it's a difficult, broad, mature (bar the smutty sex card nonsense) game, definitely my cup of tea.
    I think Witcher 2 might crucify my PC though!
    Try LOL m8. Good game, but you have to have some friends to play it with, if you don't, go here in lol thread and lads will be happy to play with you.

LOL?
    Cheer up bud, gaming is not bad, just maybe you were playing wrong stuff and you are not 12 anymore ;)

I think that's part of the problem - I miss the days when graphics were all 8/16 bit and developers didn't compensate a lack of gameplay with breast physics & excessive gore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

pixelburp:

witcher 2 outplays witcher 1 by a mile. i have witcher one, but soon after i got witcher 2, i newer looked back!

you do need decent pc to run it thought. i played it on q6600, 3gb ram 8800gt on low settings, then upgraded gpu to ati 6870 and now playing it allmoust all mexed out with amazing FPS! playing that game on low settings is just like rubbing a fast one, the actions is there, but you mising alot!

Lol - league of legends. If you ever heard of Dota, warcraft 3 custom map. so now it is a separate free to play game. dont worry, not the stupid full of adds free game. i allready spent 20 eu on it, but you can play it withouth spending a penny! very addictive game m8.

i remember pixel times, but only with nostalgia. I got sega game collection and i could not play games for longer then 20mins. some things better be just a childhood memory.

i do agree, that alot of games lately are very meh... there are gems thought.

witcher 2
    alice madness returns
    bioshock 1
    Settlers 7
    Civilisation franchise
    FEAR 1
    Might and magic 3 and 5 ( matter of taste )
    Hitman series
    stalker franchise

you just have to look out for gems in that sea of ****. witcher 2 and alice are just briliant if you looking for mature games. i would give my son play gta 4, but i would not give him to play alice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like you just aren't playing the right games pixelburp. You should maybe look outside the mainstream games and go for more niche games or explore indie games. I'm finding the mainstream stuff pretty boring as well but there's so much other stuff out there besides the big games that there's always more than enough to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I much prefer it to the more socially acceptible yet mind numbing TV.

This = truth. I had to quote it. I'll give up my gaming when I stop enjoying it, like anything else in life. Don't be sheeple, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gandalph wrote: »
    I was just wondering when in life do people start to give up on video games? Iv been playing since I was physically old enough to hold a controller and Iv always day dreamed about the day I considered myself too old/ incapable of playing them anymore (If that day actually comes or not I dont know).

So whats other peoples experiences, was it when you started a family/job or anything else that came into factor? Maybe your older friends thought it was a bit immature to be playing games, or maybe you still play but no were near as much as you used to?

I understand this is an odd place to put this thread because most the people here still play games but I didnt know were else to go with it.

So whats your opinions on this? Would be nice to get some feedback off others

They'll pry my mouse/keyboard/gamepad from my cold dead fingers.

Er, seriously, isn't this a bit like asking "when should you give up reading/music"?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

oceanclub wrote: »
    They'll pry my mouse/keyboard/gamepad from my cold dead fingers.

Argh beaten to the punch. I don't think I will ever stop playing computer games, though I have much less time to play these days. I have just reduced the amount of time I spend watching TV and randomly surfing the net. Computer games trumps nearly everything bar books for me. Watching tv for me is a complete waste because I am there just passively observing what's on the screen whereas with computer games I am actively engaged. There is no precedent for how long people can keep gaming as the oldest generation of gamers haven't reached retirement age yet and I think gaming is perfect for whiling away your twilight years. When all the ancient gamers get carted off to the nursing home it will be a never ending LAN party.

Sounds like you just aren't playing the right games pixelburp. You should maybe look outside the mainstream games and go for more niche games or explore indie games. I'm finding the mainstream stuff pretty boring as well but there's so much other stuff out there besides the big games that there's always more than enough to play.

Spot on.

Small indie games can be quite good and better then main stream games.

Ever tried magicka? Minecraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

oceanclub wrote: »
    Er, seriously, isn't this a bit like asking "when should you give up reading/music"?

No its really not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

el dude wrote: »
    As has been said, when you get bored of them.

I'm only 26, but the last few years I've found it harder and harder to get excited for games like I used to. And i'm not sure if its me, or the games, but they don't really seem to capture my imagination as they used, which is understandable I suppose. But now when I browse gaming sites and whatnot, it's always sequels and FPS's at the forefront.
    Same issue for me, I am sick of the FPS genre. In my eyes, that genre has went nowhere since Counterstrike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gandalph wrote: »
    No its really not

Er, why? Or are we back to the Ebertesque claim that games aren't art? What's childish about, say, the Total War games? "Planescape Torment"? Portal 2?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My mother once asked me when I was going to grow out of playing these games.

I asked her when was she going to grow out of playing tennis.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The day I come home from work, have dinner and sit in front of a TV and watch soaps for the evening, is the day I shoot myself.

Thankfully it'll probably never happen. Married to someone who dislikes TV and plays video games can never be a bad thing :)

The day I come home from work, have dinner and sit in front of a TV and watch soaps for the evening, is the day I shoot myself.

Thankfully it'll probably never happen. Married to someone who dislikes TV and plays video games can never be a bad thing :)

that is a dream m8...

i wish my misses would be in to gaming. newer will happen :(.

thought it might be not too bad. she brings me back to reality when i am to far in gaming world :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I will second living the dream there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hehehe, this kinda feels like an intervention - "don't do it Pixel. You have so much yet to game!" ;)

Possibly, though I have to admit, I like the epic games. Epic of idea, or scope. Not necessarily long games, just something that grabs you, pulls you in. Hence my playing of things like Witcher, or excitement about Bioshock: Zeppelins. I don't know if those kind of games exist in the indie world, a lot of them seem a lot more ... casual? Mainstream gaming seems to have lost that sense of Big'ness or wonder. Epic gore and explosions allright, not much else. All skirt and no knickers as they say.

Basically, if someone develops No One Lives Forever 3 (or Deus Ex 3 doesn't suck), I'll be happy ;)
    Spot on.

Small indie games can be quite good and better then main stream games.

Ever tried magicka? Minecraft?

Magicka, no (though heard good things about it), Minecraft yes (though I got a bit bored of it - hopefully the promised "adventure" mode might spice things up)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There is honestly no way in hell I'll ever give up gaming. When I'm half-dead and riddled with arthritis I'll be playing stuff using voice commands, or whatever new fangled tech is around by then.

/gamer4lyfe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've friends who wonder how i can sit down and play a game for a few hours after work...who then go home and watch tv for a few hours after work. Doesnt make any sense to me, but whatever :cool:

I'll give up gaming when i stop enjoying it. And it's not looking like that will ever happen. I'm sure the amount i can play will decrease as i get older (added responsibilities and all that), but as long as quality titles are released i'll keep coming back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

koneko wrote: »
    There is honestly no way in hell I'll ever give up gaming. When I'm half-dead and riddled with arthritis I'll be playing stuff using voice commands, or whatever new fangled tech is around by then.

/gamer4lyfe

WiiStruggle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thats all well and good when herself isn't against the idea of children playing games. She barely accepts i'm a gamer, and if i even try to mention that the kids would be gamers she flips!

Yeah my wife was a bit anti-gaming but my son got his hands on an iPad at the age of 2 and discovered himself that he could play games on it. Hasn't stopped since, he's 5 and starting school next year. He gets limited game time but he still games, he just doesn't get to spend 12 hours a day doing it, which he really would do if given the chance.

When the time comes, introduce her to Zoodles. It's this walled garden for kids online, that allows them to play only educational games. The kid loves it and all the stuff is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ill have to cut down once im married (next year), but ill never give up completely, i enjoy it too much. Tho i have found my consoles falling out of favour with me lately, i just hate the direction the industry seems to be heading lately, waggle this, motion control that, shovelware this....its why im getting mroe and more into my PC again. If it ever gets to the stage where pc games start being all waggle controlled, im out. Until then no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Agricola wrote: »
    Games as a form of entertainment media are very much in their infancy and theres a whole generation of people who only associate games with kids toys. Because of this, some of us think we should grow out of it at some stage. This will all change in the years to come. As gamers become the old fogies and (hopefully) as the industry matures into something everyone can take seriously (less Duke Nukems for example) then gaming will be viewed as good tv, movies and books are today.

I actually already think that this has happened.
    The gaming business is already bigger than the movie one, and will continue to grow.
    It's also one of the only entertainment areas which don't seem to suffer from economic problems worldwide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Originally Posted by Potential-Monke
    Thats all well and good when herself isn't against the idea of children playing games. She barely accepts i'm a gamer, and if i even try to mention that the kids would be gamers she flips!

I remember Nintendo released a pamphlet when the SNES came out claiming that it improved hand eye co-ordination, learning ability, focus etc.

No idea if they had proof but I copped a copy of Mario Kart out of it :pac:

back in the good old days when references were for losers and if it was printed it must be true,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can imagine myself cutting down and don't see a problem with that but I'll never give them up.

I'm not as interested in new games anymore since the industry has been too focused on multiplayer for so many years and had slowed down in terms of new things. So many new games that don't offer anything different.

Anyways, I've too big of a catalogue of retro console & PC games to keep me happy until I'm sitting in a chair in an old folk's home, shìtting in my nappy and watching the nurses steal my money.

Even then I'll still be playing Double Dragon or something :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I find myself that over time I have less time to play games - but I never think of "giving them up" so to speak. I still really enjoy playing games, I just do not have enough time to play them as often as I did!

In some ways that is not all that bad, you appreciate a great game for what it is then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm 30, I've a missus and 1.5 year old at home.

I game EVERY night I'm at home.

I run a World of Tanks clan with some guys from boards, and I'd say I game about 5 hours a night. Beats watching crap on tele.

We have members ranging from 20, to a fairly new UK based member who is just 60 - he plays with his grandson (and he's pretty decent).

Give up games when its just not your thing anymore - but for a gamer, I doubt that time will ever come.

Does a football fan give up watching 'the match'? A musician stop playing? A painter stop painting?

Gaming is a pass-time, a hobby, or a sport depending on who you ask. If its something you like doing, why ever give it up?

My missus knows I'm a PC enthusiast, and a gamer. It's part of who I am, and most likely always will be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm 30, I've a missus and 1.5 year old at home.

Similar situation but different ages on all counts, They are a way for a fortnight as I have work that I cannot be excused from. Time to catch up this fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

nesf wrote: »
    , he just doesn't get to spend 12 hours a day doing it, which he really would do if given the chance.
    Congratulations, you've become your father :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I'm 31 and gaming more now than I did in my 20s. I'm sure depending on whats going on in my life I'll game less or more but thats to be expected.

I realised recently after chatting to some friends about it and catching some stuff on the mainstream news that large parts of the general population still thinks that pac-man and space invaders represents current gaming. they simply don't understand what gaming has become and is about, to them they are children's toys and that adults who play with them are somehow odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

When do you stop reading books, watching movies, etc. Games are both a form of entertainment and an art form, so as long as you enjoy playing keep playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm 31 and gaming more now than I did in my 20s. I'm sure depending on whats going on in my life I'll game less or more but thats to be expected.

I realised recently after chatting to some friends about it and catching some stuff on the mainstream news that large parts of the general population still thinks that pac-man and space invaders represents current gaming. they simply don't understand what gaming has become and is about, to them they are children's toys and that adults who play with them are somehow odd.

This is an all too common generalisation made by people who don't lay games.

Little do they realise the people who played pac-man, space invaders, mario etc the FIRST time around, are STILL gaming.

Once a gamer, always a gamer.

We would be considered the original gaming generation, who grew up on Atar 2600's and Commodore 64's, who remember Street Fighter II being the best game in the world ever, who remember Starwing being touted as the most incredibly graphically intense game ever (Super Nintendo) - and the first with a 3D environment on the SNES.

We have gaming in our blood, have had a lifetime of fascination by video games and technology.

Noone has the right to tell you when to stop playing, nor should anyone ever feel 'ashamed' or belittled for any reason because they love gaming.

The ignorant masses are missing out.

If only we'd managed to keep the core of gaming to ourselves, maybe modern games would be of a much higher quality than currently seen.

Wow, just realised I went on a bit of a rant there. Oops.

Advertisement