Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Time to give up Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Never, if it's a serious hobby that you love why would you give it up? My dad is 64 and retired, he's now on his 6th prestige in Black Ops. Best thing is he's still really bad but loves it!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I definitely don't get exited by a new game like I did when I was a kid with my Mega Drive or later with PC or even my Dreamcast, which was the best console ever. :D

Now I'm in my 20's and it takes something great to get me going. I really thought that I couldn't love a game anymore but then you get a couple of games that really bring back why a person plays games. Mass Effect 1 & 2 are brilliant. I'll be like a child getting the 3rd. Arkhum City will probably do something for me too.
    I definitely don't put much time into gaming now though. It takes me ages to clear a game that lasts 9 hours. (The exception is ME2, which I've completed 5 or 6 times).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never, its my main interest aside from movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm in my mid-twenties now and I have to say I'm spending less and less time playing games. I'll go on the odd binge of an MMO every few months, but I rarely play single player games. I think the next big game I'm looking forward to is BF3 and I probably will only play one or two other games between now and then. At the moment I seem to find games a little predictable, and it takes a multiplayer experience to get me really excited. I'm playing Eve Online with friends from another forum, great fun. I'm planning on getting into the online racing community, again because playing with real people is more appealing. And BF3 is obviously the ultimate multiplayer shooter. I also realised that I was getting far more enjoyment about reading about the industry, the news, the trends, the debates on where it's going and what should happen. I check about five or six game websites a day, and about four forums with sections for games. Maybe I've just gotten to the point where I recognise the patterns in games, and know how to figure them out, so it takes a human intelligence to spice things up.

The other thing I've found is that I've started playing far more tabletop games, so boardgames and RPGs. Again I think it's because when you're playing with other people, things just seem a lot less predictable and a lot more "real." And it's cool that I can spend a few hours with friends figuring out tactics to defeat an evil overlord while having a few beers and some munchies.

To be honest, the thing I'm most excited about is seeing the computer gaming world and the wider gaming/nerd world coalesce into this hulking gamer entity. Rockpapershotgun have started a regular column on board games, and it's really cool seeing people's eyes open up to another form of gaming. And to me it's a form of gaming that non-gamers are far more willing to accept because of the social aspect of sitting around with other people. I've found a lot of adults who are some way nerdy enjoy it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hit the early thirties so not playing as much as I used to but will still plough a fair few hours into maybe a half a dozen games or so per year, topped up with a bit of multiplayer now and then. Absolutely yever intend on giving it up completely.

And by the time I get too old to hold a keyboard / mouse / controller I'm banking on mind control to have been perfected by that stage :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Never.
    I've always wondered what kind of amazing games I'll be playing when I'm an old and retired granddad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I probably won't ever give up on games, however I do find that my interest in newer games diminishes. I always keep going back to playing older games and only play a few of the newer released games if they tweak my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would like to think that i'll never give up gaming, but i've a feeling there are a few choices coming up in my life that will test that.

I'm 28, full time (stress inducing) job, living with the better half for a year, mortgage in my own name, and "real-life" friends that are no where near into gaming as i am. Soon, apparently, is time for marriage and kids, and i think how much thats going to impact my gaming life. And i don't know if i'll ever be able to give up what i love, and have loved, for the last 19+ years. Throughout everything, gaming has never let me down, and while i know it's not consuming me, i just prefer it to most everything else at the mo, and i think that will cause huge problems in the near future...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Soon, apparently, is time for marriage and kids

I know of a guy who used that as a challenge to get them into gaming. As far as I know, it's working. Even gotten the little sprogs doing four-player Power Stone on the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Beginning to lose interest at the moment but that might be down to work and wanting to spend time with my girlfriend, might get a new television to get me going again. Ive felt like this before but always get back into it. It helps when she plays with me ;-) Shes completed res evil and dead nation with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

NEVER

Im 29. Have a PS3 & Xbox.. the missus got the Xbox though cos she wanted Kinect etc. Love my PS3.. FPS games are my poison, but on par with God of War type games.

Live with the OH and have done for 2 years, shes never complained about it. Shes quite happy to sit behind me on the couch and read a book or one of those glossy magazines that always have Jordan or Cheryl Cole on them. Dont play much at the minute, an hour or so a day at most.. but when Battlefield 3 comes out...... I'll be putting sandbags around my 50" Samsung and treating the Mrs as a hostile enemy combatant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

krudler wrote: »
    Never, its my main interest aside from movies.

Me also but id throw women in instead of movies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,858 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I use to be absolutely mad into games but im very disillusioned with the gaming industry these days bar the recent Alice game iv barely played any thing

Franchises I adored like Final Fantasy gone to the dogs etc

iv a ps3, xbox and pc and the consoles barely get played. The pc bar black ops Nuke town server is hardly played and iv numerous games bought but hardly played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm big into games, though in the past two years I've given up the PC in favour of the 360, purely out of social considerations (housemates and friends have the 360). But, realistically, there's a part of me that feels extremely discontent with that, namely with the lack of massive online shooters such as BF2's 64 man games - a game that's not been bettered on either PC or console, as far as I'm concerned. It seems sickening to imagine games like Battlefield BC2 having a maximum of 24 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

Never to old to game. I'm 43 and still gaming since ZX spectrum. I did have a break in between SNES and PS 1 but when my son was born and seeing as I wouldn't be going out as much I bought a PS1 and now I'm on PS3 and loving it. Still crap at gaming but I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ill never give it up but now I'm more careful of when I start an epic. I have New Vegas sitting waiting but have too much on my plate to get sunk into it so it's pick up an play shmups or fighters for the moment.

I have also found myself moving more and more towards boardgaming and have a collection of 20+ games at this point. They are slightly easier to get my not techie friends into, slightly.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I know of a guy who used that as a challenge to get them into gaming. As far as I know, it's working. Even gotten the little sprogs doing four-player Power Stone on the Dreamcast.

Thats all well and good when herself isn't against the idea of children playing games. She barely accepts i'm a gamer, and if i even try to mention that the kids would be gamers she flips!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thats all well and good when herself isn't against the idea of children playing games. She barely accepts i'm a gamer, and if i even try to mention that the kids would be gamers she flips!

Get a new wife - job done! ;)

Get a new wife - job done! ;)

She aint the wife yet, and this is where there may be problems!!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

A hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A hero!

Even moreso, considering he's got them doing it on four Agetec Dreamcast sticks. I bowed when I saw the photo.

Well then, that's a shame. I've got a much harsher opinion of the fact, but I'll leave it there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The day I give up games is when I'm dead in a box in the ground :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When the kids feel like outcasts when all the other kids have PS4's and Xbox 1080's then she'll have to fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

is she against them reading or watching telly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tbh, I've been playing games since I was old enough to do so & at this stage (I'm now 30), I'm getting a bit sick of the damn things.

Someone once told me - if it stops being fun, stop doing it. Well sister, games ain't a lot of fun these days.

Overrated dust magnets, expensive if you count the inevitable, omnipresent DLC (oh and did you buy the Gamestop or EB version?). Half the games now treat you like a moron, insisting on walking you through the entire game just in case your mushy brain gets confused at all the corridors; press X now not to die!

No matter, the game only last a couple of hours so they won't outstay their welcome - granted, I could have watched 3 movies for that price - but sure maybe I'll sample a little multiplayer instead, that's there the meat is. Oh wait no; all the other players are 12year-old, homophobic racists. Who kick my ass because they've not got anything else going on in their lives. Marvelous.

The only (admittedly multiplayer) games I would play repeatedly now is TF2 or SC2; and tbh, I'm wondering why I ever bother with SC2 because you have to play at such an high intensity just to stay still, I'm wondering what I actually get out of this, except frustration.

Uh yeah, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

pixelburp wrote: »
    Tbh, I've been playing games since I was old enough to do so & at this stage (I'm now 30), I'm getting a bit sick of the damn things.

Someone once told me - if it stops being fun, stop doing it. Well sister, games ain't a lot of fun these days.

Overrated dust magnets, expensive if you count the inevitable, omnipresent DLC (oh and did you buy the Gamestop or EB version?). Half the games now treat you like a moron, insisting on walking you through the entire game just in case your mushy brain gets confused at all the corridors; press X now not to die!

No matter, the game only last a couple of hours so they won't outstay their welcome - granted, I could have watched 3 movies for that price - but sure maybe I'll sample a little multiplayer instead, that's there the meat is. Oh wait no; all the other players are 12year-old, homophobic racists. Who kick my ass because they've not got anything else going on in their lives. Marvelous.

The only (admittedly multiplayer) games I would play repeatedly now is TF2 or SC2; and tbh, I'm wondering why I ever bother with SC2 because you have to play at such an high intensity just to stay still, I'm wondering what I actually get out of this, except frustration.

Uh yeah, rant over.

You've just depressed everyone! Gawd! ;)

Cheer us up... what are you looking forward to? Tell us there's still hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

pixelburp wrote: »

Uh yeah, rant over.

You need hugs and sunshines m8.

Not everything is so bad. If you still want a challenge and a good mature game, then get witcher 2. Trust me, it wont hold your hand. It will bite it, them infect it, then let you play while slamming a geography world atlas on your balls every now and then.
    Then demons souls? It will give you a hand in first 5 minutes, then hit you in the balls, break your hands and pass you a controller. Good game thought ;) .

I am trying to stay away from mainstream games and consoles now. The 12 year olds do same thing to me too. I avoid those multiplayer games now. Stay away from cod and halo and try bc2. It has 12 year olds, but not as much, as it requires less foam in mouth and more brain mass.

It would be same reason why I left sc2. Great great game, but if you want to be atleast half decent in it you have to play it all day long and forget about any ather games.

Try LOL m8. Good game, but you have to have some friends to play it with, if you don't, go here in lol thread and lads will be happy to play with you.

Cheer up bud, gaming is not bad, just maybe you were playing wrong stuff and you are not 12 anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

jiggychoo wrote: »
    There is no specific time to give up game . U must play games even indoor or outdoor through out your life. It will make you stay fit !!

Hmmm I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think you're missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i plan on stoppin once i finish my backlog.

pity that backlog keeps growing longer and longer!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

i'll let you know next week. if i have no idea what the lads at the cod beers are on about, i'll turn it off for good. if we're singing off the same hyme sheet, game on!

Advertisement