Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which religion or belief is the dumbest

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

For me scientology and creationists have to be up there as the dumbest and most gullible.

muslim jew and christian are pretty much the same, indoctrination usually has to start at a young age.

But is there really any difference in believing in any of them?
    Should you be allowed / encouraged to hold these contradictory beliefs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Believing that all life SPONTANEOUSLY FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER EVOLVED FROM NOTHING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Which religion or belief is the dumbest?

Anything but mine.

Scratch my facetious answer. The dumbest belief is one that thinks that others shouldn't be allowed to believe something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I dunno I have only a reasonable level of understanding of one religion and there have been thousands I'd say (at least). My south park knowledge of mormonism would rank it pretty high.
    Then again what's "dumber" mormon style crazy belief or Jehovah's much more life threatening refusal of transfusions?
    Question needs better definition IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

1. Any belief system that incorporates an omnipotent being that just happens to have human characteristics and cares about petty things in our personal lives.

2. Belief in life after death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Then again what's "dumber" mormon style crazy belief or Jehovah's much more life threatening refusal of transfusions?
    Grab a copy of this ans ask that question again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For me scientology and creationists have to be up there as the dumbest and most gullible.

muslim jew and christian are pretty much the same, indoctrination usually has to start at a young age.

But is there really any difference in believing in any of them?

You should of course be allowed to hold them, and everyone else should be allowed to ridicule them for the silliness that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Church of the flying spaghetti monster....

http://www.venganza.org/

Sean Moncrieff did a piece on this on his radio show a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sincere113 wrote: »
    Church of the flying spaghetti monster....

http://www.venganza.org/

Sean Moncrieff did a piece on this on his radio show a couple of years ago.
    NotSureIfSerious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As far i can see most religions think its ok to hate everyone else who isnt of the same religion, how dumb and ignorant is that? I don't want be part of something that thinks its ok to hate my fellow man or woman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Any one where you're told to be subservient to something invisible.

robindch wrote: »
    Grab a copy of this ans ask that question again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven

Some crazy stuff there too. Can't say I take issue with the idea of polygamy though...

I guess the crazier religions will be found in smaller sects than mainstream (or a small variant of the mainstream)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The belief that only the people to have rejected what they were taught as children are smart and objective .. is pretty dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Of the major religions I'd say Mormon. Scientology isn't a religion - it's a cult.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Of the major religions I'd say Mormon. Scientology isn't a religion - it's a cult.

Isn't a cult just a small religion though?
    And a religion just a big cult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

smokingman wrote: »
    Any one where you're told to be subservient to something invisible.
    Hey there!

I am the lord your dog...

That Anakin will bring balance to the force. I wasnt convinced by him at all.

Religion is to cult as spud is to potato.

(Hides from King Mob)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Believing that all life SPONTANEOUSLY FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER EVOLVED FROM NOTHING!!!!!

This could be used for the Big Bang theory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The OP seems to be trolling.

I find the craziest idea to be one I held as a kid: that my religion was definitely true because of my parents, the Bible, religion class in school, mass every Sunday...

Thing is, were I born in Saudi Arabia of Muslim parents, I could have held pretty much the same faith in a completely different religion because of my parents, the Koran, religion class in school, mass (do they call it that?) every Saturday...

And similarly insert any religion and appropriate region and ritual in there. So the questions I put to religious people when I have a sit down conversation about this is, "Why is your religion the right one? Why do you believe if not for those reasons?" I've never gotten anything like a satisfactory answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those crazy ass nutjobs in the south pacific for whom prince phillip is god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

those crazy ass nutjobs in the south pacific for whom prince phillip is god.

In fairness I think they're on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ddef wrote: »
    This could be used for the Big Bang theory too.

No it can't because something had to be there for the Big Bang to occur in the first place. It is an event that happened because of certain group of elements in a certain time frame interacted in a certain way. It was not nothing and then everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No it can't because something had to be there for the Big Bang to occur in the first place.
    you appear to possess knowledge which would be of great interest to the physics and cosmology community. you should pass on that knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

you appear to possess knowledge which would be of great interest to the physics and cosmology community. you should pass on that knowledge.

It's called research on material by the group of people whom which you speak of. It is generally agreed that the "Big Bang" did not just pop into existance as it happened, something had to be there before.

mikhail wrote: »
    The OP seems to be trolling.

Actually OP picked two minimally controversial choices. Had he picked a mainstream belief followed on this site, maybe. His posting style is just eh less diplomatic imo.

I think the prince phillip one holds the lead for me and I expect if this thread doesn't go off on a tangent we'll get to read about some more small size obscure and whacky religions.

for people who don't know about the prince phillip movement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Surely that would have be that Objectivism shyte. The more I look I at it the stupider it appears. Why oh why did I even have to become of its existence. (Thanks Nodin btw, for the terrific link)

It's called research on material by the group of people whom which you speak of. It is generally agreed that the "Big Bang" did not just pop into existance as it happened, something had to be there before.
    from what i understood, any discussion of what was there before the big bang is highly speculative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

It is generally agreed that the "Big Bang" did not just pop into existance as it happened, something had to be there before.

By whom?

Advertisement