Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you consider to be the greatest ever ppv in wrestling ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ah, i think i'm thinking of Backlash 99 where it's Rock vs Austin and Rock gets the camera and gives Austin the finger from first-person perspective. It's AMAZING. He turns to the crowd who are cheering and goes back onto austin who gives the finger to the crowd and we get a viewing of what it's like getting stunnered. It's ****ing brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Why_So_Serious?

In my opinion Royal Rumble 1999 who'd have thought Vince would win the rumble, then Rock v.s Mankind one hell of a match one of the best I Quit matches i've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

my top 3 are

1. wrestlemania 17
    2 in your house canadian stampede, the canadian crowd reaction when the hitman and austin came out was incredible.
    3. ecw one night stand 05.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    What do people make of Canadian stampede I remember getting the loan of it with a swap it for my tape of Over the Edge 99. Really enjoyed it at the time,over a decade ago.

Canadian Stampede was great - but that's only for the crowd reaction at the time. The PPV itself wasn't great but as a Bret/Hart Foundation fan back in 97 it was absolute gold to see them get massive star reactions. Funny how Taker and I think LOD still got face-ish reactions. Really special time to be a wrestling fan.

Risky business giving away ur OTE'99 VHS tape. Very rare. Did you get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Survivor Series 2002 - Every title changed that night but it had some very good matches, all were near 3*'s or more. Even a hardcore womens match, a 3 way team match, a 6 man tag team tables match and the 1st Elimination Chamber match. Fantastic PPV.

Wrestlemania 21 - The "changing of the guard" with Batista beating HHH and Cena beating JBL .Orton vs Taker that year was when the streak was ACTUALLY in trouble as in being broken. Then you also have the "wrestling masterclass" between HBK and Angle to top it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Risky business giving away ur OTE'99 VHS tape. Very rare. Did you get it back?

Nope never got it back I taped all the 98-2002 ppv's most of them got damaged moving house or my brothers gave the loan of them & never got them back.I always enjoyed Summerslam 98 it was the first ppv I ever stayed up for it had a great Ladder match for the IC Title The Rock vs HHH,Stone Cold vs the Undertaker & a solid undercard.

Even though its not my favourite (That honour goes to WM 17 like nearly everyone) I always liked summerslam 97.

Foley vs HHH (cage match)
    Owen vs Austin (Which i thought was a good match until the unfortunate incident)
    Taker Vs Bret with HBK as the special guest referee.

I think my favourite year for WWF/WWE PPVs was 2000. Didn't think there was a bad one all that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Wrestlemania III.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Wrestlemania 17 is up there, Stacked Card, Incredible Main event with (Austins Heel turn), TLC II, Benoit and Angle, Taker and Triple H.

(It was also the first WM I stayed up and watched live)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

WM 17 was epic.Backlash 2000 also stands out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

One that hasnt been mentioned that Ive always really liked is the Rumble from 2000.

Highlights for me were.

Taz's debut and ending Angles streak.

Dudleys Vs Hardys in a tables match which was a part of arguably the most enjoyable tag team era of WWF.

Trips Vs Cactus in a simply brilliant street fight.

I enjoyed the Rumble match itself and its finish.Nice building block to Mania.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

SummerSlam 1992 is my own personal favorite.

Bret v British Bulldog

Savage v Warrior

Road Warriors vs Money Inc

HBK v Rick Martel

Taker v Kamala

Also enjoyed WM 8 a lot as well.

Flair v Savage

Bret v Piper

Taker v Roberts

Hogan v Sid

The other two PPV's from 1992 I thought were both very enjoyable as well.
    Imo the 1992 Royal Rumble match was the best RR ever. The 1992 SS was not on the same scale as the others from that year but the two main events which were Razor & Flair vs Savage & Perfect and Bret vs HBK are two great matches.

1997 Royal Rumble. The Royal Rumble match itself was great & had some very good matches before hand, Goldust v Triple H being the pick of the bunch I think.

Advertisement