Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you consider to be the greatest ever ppv in wrestling ?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if there is already a thread on this already but in todays generation and with the price of ppv's some are just not worth the dosh anymore.

i was thinking today of what was the greatest ppv i ever saw and was worth the money.

my favorite would be wrestlemania 17 for several reasons.

i love hardcore wrestling especially when they brawl backstage which happened at mania 17.

family feud - vince vs shane o mac was a good match with both men not being athletes.

angle vs benoit was an amazing wrestling match from a mat perspective.

the tag team triple threat tlc match was nothing short of amazing

taker vs hhh (part 1 ;)) is one of my favorite matches of all time

Austin vs the rock had one of the gretest build ups ever in my memory and with the twist ending i was shocked as a kid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Wrestlemania 6. Oh the memories :) I remember losing the plot when the ultimate warrior made his comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Summerslam 02.

Brock v Rock
    A returning HBK vs HHH
    Angle vs Mysterio
    Edge vs Eddie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Summerslam 02.
    Brock v Rock
    A returning HBK vs HHH
    Angle vs Mysterio
    Edge vs Eddie

Don't forget RVD/Benoit! And my boy Test faced Taker too. I bloody love that PPV. One of my absolute favourites. A confluence of big-name talent and also in-ring work. Everyone was on top form that night.

Actually yes, I'll say SummerSlam 2002 as well. Someone else can vote for One Night Stand 2005 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I have a few!

Wrestlemania 17 for the reasons stated above, TLC match was great!

ROH Man Up is amazing also, the main event is one of the best tag team matches I've ever seen. Watched it at least 20 times already!

TNA Lockdown 2005 - Stumbled across it one evening on the wrestling channel and was just blown away. I really enjoyed the concept and the Abyss/AJ match confirmed to me there was a new player in town (how wrong I was!)

CZW Cage of Death 6 - The main event was one of the best spotfests ever and again it's one I've watched many times! Sexy Eddie's moonsault off the cage with a bin over his head is the funniest thing I've ever seen in wrestling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I know I'm an oul lad, but for me Wrestlemania III will remain unsurpassed. I had never seen WWF until 6 weeks before and thought it was real. I watched it on a Sunday night on Sky with friends and was blown away :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

There are a few good ones by Tna & WWE but my favouqite would have to be Wrestlemania XIX I loved the Jericho vs Hbk,Stone Cold vs The Rock & Angle vs Lesnar matches. The worst ppv by a distance is December to Dismember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Greatest ever would be Wrestlemania XVII, with Wrestlemania XIX coming second. It's not a close second though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Summerslam 2002 is WWE best ever for my money.

WM17 is brilliant but much of that is down to 2 huge matches between HHH Vs Taker and Rock Vs Austin.

WM19 is excellent as well, and I will say that Survivor Seiers 2002 is class also.

ROH Man Up gets a nod, and while it was not a PPV, ROH FYF Liverpool is one of the best shows that ever happened in any promotion ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Liked Vengeance 2002 a lot also.

Cant choose a favourite really, but here are some that I really like:

WM 17
    WM 19
    Summerslam 2002
    Survivor Series 2002
    WWE/ECW ONS 2005
    ECW Living Dangerously 2000
    ECW Heat Wave 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Cant fault any of the picks here.

WCW Spring Stampede 1999 is pretty great while Great American Bash 1989 is an oldie but a goodie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Def Wrestlemania X7 for me. Just loved it all the way through. Summerslam 2000 would not be far behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Forgot about ECW Heatwave 98. Brilliant PPV at the time. Not sure how well it has aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

WM8 for me cus its the first one i can remember. Serious amount of big names on the card too.
    Hogan, Savage, Flair, Hitman, Undertaker, Michaels, Piper, Jake Roberts. Golden age of wwf for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Summerslam 02.

Brock v Rock
    A returning HBK vs HHH
    Angle vs Mysterio
    Edge vs Eddie
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Don't forget RVD/Benoit! And my boy Test faced Taker too. I bloody love that PPV. One of my absolute favourites. A confluence of big-name talent and also in-ring work. Everyone was on top form that night.

Actually yes, I'll say SummerSlam 2002 as well. Someone else can vote for One Night Stand 2005 :D

Jericho/Flair as well.

That PPV is a tantalising glimpse of what WWE could do if they just did pro-wrestling and left out all the other sh*t. RVD/Benoit is a very underrated match, Benoit hits some kind of wierd hammerlock suplex in it that I'd never seeen before or since. RVD's best non garbage matche ever IMHO.

Just to be all obscure and different,I'm gonna nominate two shows:

NOAH Destiny 2005:

No bad matches and both KENTA/Kanemaru and Kobashi/Sasaki are over 4.5 start, then you have Kawada/Misawa getting it on in their hitoric final singles bout. Superb show to introduce somone to Puro and undoubtedly NOAH's finest hour.

AAA/IWC When Worlds Collide

Good little minis tag match to start, then two great trios matches on the undercard with the likes of Benoit, Rey and Psicosis doing their stuff, then arguable the greates maytche er between Eddy and Art vs El Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther, and Konnan vs Perro Aguayo in a steel cage brawl to finish off.

flahavaj wrote: »
    AAA/IWC When Worlds Collide

Good little minis tag match to start, then two great trios matches on the undercard with the likes of Benoit, Rey and Psicosis doing their stuff, then arguable the greates maytche er between Eddy and Art vs El Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther, and Konnan vs Perro Aguayo in a steel cage brawl to finish off.

Very overhyped PPV IMO. Only got talked up because of (indigenous) Wrestling in the US being pretty crappy at the time. Eddy and Art vs El Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther is ****ing amazing and Art was an absolute riot in that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

drayme wrote: »
    Very overhyped PPV IMO. Only got talked up because of (indigenous) Wrestling in the US being pretty crappy at the time. Eddy and Art vs El Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther is ****ing amazing and Art was an absolute riot in that match.

You might be right tbh, its all about the Los Gringos match really isn't it? I alwys LOL at Los Gringos miming swimming at the Mexicans.:pac:

Thought it deserved a mention either way to stop the thread being nothing but WM17 nominations.

You might be right tbh, its all about the Los Gringos match really isn't it? I alwys LOL at Los Gringos miming swimming at the Mexicans.:pac:

That is the exact same moment I always think of.

Funny seeing Art with charisma of 10 men and Eddie being this meek young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Thought it deserved a mention either way to stop the thread being nothing but WM17 nominations.

And with that being said i nominate WM 17 :) Rock and Austin, HHH v Taker, TLC, Vince and Shane.....all great great matches

Summerslam 2000
    Royal Rumble 99 ( always a favourite of mine)
    BFG 05 (First BFG I seen, loved Jeffs swanton in the monsters ball match)
    ONS 05

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

summerslam 2002 is easily the best ppv wwe have ever done in-ring wise, mania 17 might get the most hype but if you take it on a match by match basis summerslam wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tuesday in Texas, just for Taker Vs Hogan.
    the undercard (Roberts Vs Macho, Bret Vs Skinner, Davey Boy Vs The Warlord) is the icing on the cake

• Advertisement

What do people make of Canadian stampede I remember getting the loan of it with a swap it for my tape of Over the Edge 99. Really enjoyed it at the time,over a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

fully loaded 2000 is a favourite of mine mainly cause of the 3 main events of hhh vs y2j rock vs benoit and taker vs angle and a underated cage match with val venis and rikishi

GTR63 wrote: »
    What do people make of Canadian stampede I remember getting the loan of it with a swap it for my tape of Over the Edge 99. Really enjoyed it at the time,over a decade ago.

it was the best show wwe had done by that point and its still only 1 of 4 wwe ppvs to win "best major show" over on then end of year wrestling observer awards (the others being wm17, summerslam 2002 and wm24), the problem i would have with it is its length only 2hrs but outside that it was a great show with a white hot crowd for the main event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Royal Rumble 2000 & WM 17 stand out for me, as does summerslam 02. both one night stands were brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Armageddon hell in a cell.
    What was that, 2002?
    The Royal Rumble 2001.

Jazzy wrote: »
    Royal Rumble 2000 & WM 17 stand out for me, as does summerslam 02. both one night stands were brilliant too

first one was a very fun show to be sure, so many moments that will last the test of time such as heymans shoot, sandmans entrance and the awesome/tanaka match, honestly i didn't think ons 2 was a patch on the first show, i think rvds win keeps it fresh in peoples mind but if it hadn't been for cena antics and the crowds reaction to him that night, most would have forgotten that ppv by now

CMpunked wrote: »
    Armageddon hell in a cell.

I'm probably WAY off but was that the one where Tim White shot himself with the Shotgun cause that moment was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life.(ok not as good as Big Show boogeyboarding a coffin)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

GTR63 wrote: »
    I'm probably WAY off but was that the one where Tim White shot himself with the Shotgun cause that moment was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life.(ok not as good as Big Show boogeyboarding a coffin)

Ya the Tim White thing was Armageddon 05, it turned in to a weekly segment where he'd try and kill himself in a different way each week. There also was a great 6 way Armageddon hell in a cell in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While it's probably not the greatest (WM17 wins that for me), Backlash 2000 was absolutely brilliant. Jericho vs Benoit in a fantastic match. Angle Vs Big Show which was funny but also a well played out match. Eddie Guerrero vs Essa Rios which was an alright match but also pretty funny with Chyna and Lita. Dudley Boyz vs T&A with Trish going through a table at the end. 6 man Hardcore match with some great action. Topped off with the brilliant HHH Vs The Rock with Stone Cold's return, one of the biggest pops ever. Was only the second PPV I ever saw, but could easily watch it again and enjoy every bit of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Backlash 2000 was mega!

Advertisement