Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow a College team thread

Options
  • 05-07-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Saw this idea on the American Football forum and thought something like this might work here. With the possibility of a shortened NBA season looking ever more likely :( I thought it might be interesting to see how many people would be interested in following a college basketball team for the year ? Assuming we get quite a few interested I can use random.org to put the names in order and then use the teams most likely to contend this year and match it with the first name. That way everyone can have a team to follow.

I'm a Stanford fan with a soft spot for New Mexico but it would be fun cheering on another team anyway.

So who's aboard? :P

People interested so far.
    slick89
    moneyman
    padraig f
    Carcharodon
    Paully D
    cactus mac88
    WHIP IT!
    For Fork Sake
    theboss80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I'm not abroad, but I am aboard.:pac:

Sign me up. Moneyman will probably do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

I'm up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Ya, I'll do it too. I follow college basketball anyway so might not make much of a difference but it will be a bit of fun. Kentucky are usually my team, and themselves or North Carolina are most likely to win it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

my knowledge of college basketball is pretty much: Bird vs. Magic in '79, and Jordan hitting the winning shot in '82. so not sure if I'll stick with it, but yeah, I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Why not, I really only get into the college ball come march madness but would be interesting to follow it a bit more.

I live in between Stanford and Cal so I kind of follow their results, I have a soft spot for Butler since their recent performances in the finals too.

Sounds good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yes, I'll be interested. Very good idea IMO.

Cheers.

Yeah sign me up as well mate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Pencil me in lads - sounds like a larf... can I take Duke?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'll go in, Kansas if you please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Im in Tar Heels for me please...

Looking forward to this. Much prefer watching college ball

• Advertisement

I don't think we can choose our teams, but if we can I'll take Kentucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I don't mind either way. I think it may be more fun to have the random.org system in place but if people want to choose their own college teams too then that's fine as well.

Random IMO.

I think it should only be random if there's competition for teams. Otherwise I don't see how it would be more fun supporting a random team than one you actually want to follow. It's more likely to be a success that way, too. But whatever the masses say I'll go with.

moneyman wrote: »
    I think it should only be random if there's competition for teams.

I want Kentucky.

#15 wrote: »
    I want Kentucky.

That's perfect, I like plenty of other teams. You take Kentucky and I'll take another team. Everyone's happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Shur I might as well join

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sign me up

I like watching but know very few teams or players

Eager to get stuck in and learn

slick89
    moneyman
    padraig f
    Carcharodon
    Paully D
    cactus mac88
    WHIP IT!
    For Fork Sake
    theboss80
    peteb2
    Dare-2 defy
    mikemac
    malachyscott
    UCD AFC
    Junior D

Thought I might as well update the list. We still have plenty of time before the season starts so there's no real rush to do anything yet but does everyone prefer the choosing your own team system ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I liked the random idea, thought it would be an incentive to find out about a new team, and ensure a good spread of teams being followed (but then I have no particular allegiance to any team).

Maybe do a hybrid, randomly selected, but allow people to swap, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Well here's 3 of us already want Tar Heels so it should probably done randomly to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Yeah, random would be better craic - as padraig said, it gives ya a reason to get to know a team and follow it for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

im for random!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Count me on too :)

Random is best. Its worked well for us in the american football forum. Avoids any conflict. Also users should provide updates on their teams on a regular basis. A post with relevant backround info on the team should also be provided ( even though I'm yet to do this in the AM thread ;) )

I don't care who I get so random suits me. If people want to pick their own teams that's fine too. Maybe anyone who wants a specific team can take them (as long as there isn't a conflict) and the rest of us can take random teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

put me in please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

me too i suppose.... for the craic

I definitely like the preview write up idea alright. People should definitely try a write up after an important game too like a paragraph etc. Would be interesting to read.

• Advertisement

Okay since it looks like the random system is fine for most people, thought I may as well do the draw now. Good luck everyone :).

Peteb2 | Louisville| Cardinals
    Junior D| Memphis | Tigers
    cactus mac88| Texas| Longhorns
    Paully D| Kansas | Jayhawks
    #15| Sryacuse| Orangemen
    UCD AFC | Baylor | Bears
    Sea Devils | Butler| Bulldogs
    Carcharodon | Connecticut | Huskies
    slick89 | North Carolina | Tarheels
    For Fork Sake | Kentucky | Wildcats
    mikemac| Xavier| Musketeers
    padraig f | Arizona | Wildcats