Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most number of hours clocked up on a console rpg?!

Options
  • 04-07-2011 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Was bored the other day and looked through my psp's save data directory. Its actually pretty handy as it shows you how many hours you've clocked up on games.

In my experience, the usual for an rpg would be 40-50 hours. I have around that much on FF: Crisis Core, Jeanne D'arc etc.

Currently have 40 hours on tactics ogre which I'm playing at the moment. Will probably move on to FF Tactics next. I remember back from the old ps1 days that I got around 70 hours from FF9.

Then I looked at the save data for Persona 3 portable and it was 100 hours! And that's not even including the additional challenges after the game is completed. Incredible, I enjoyed the game so much I didn't notice how much I put into it.

So, do you remember the most you've ever put into a game?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Because I didn't "get" FFVII's materia system for ages, I clocked up ridiculous hours on that game. think my save file is at 130 hours. Actually checked this last night on my FF9 save on my psp and can't believe i'm nearly 50 hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Clocked up just over 100 hours in FFVII when it came out. I was completely new to the genre so took a bit of getting used to, then on the second play through beating the weapons was a bit of a time sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'd say I probably clocked up around the 100 hour mark on FFX. Dark Aeons, god damn you anyway....!

Back ages ago, I remember seeing one of the lads FF8 data. 250 hours. He has went on to do even larger stints on the more recent Bethesda RPG's. Nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I think I hit about 120 hours mark on FFVIII, that's one save anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I rarely play new game+'s or anything but the most hours I've clocked up would probably be about 120 on Dark Chronicle on the PS2. Level 5 seriously need to get back on that series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My second time through FF8 to get all the cards and secrets in the game with a walkthrough I maxed out the games clock at 99hours 99mins.

Persona 4 was 85 hours.

Persona 3 was 120 hours of which I thoroughly enjoyed ever moment.

Xenogears was 80 hours, it was just a long ass game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Over various replays I've put around 300+ hours into FFIX.
    Next would be Persona 3 with 75 hours, 110 if you include P3P and I'm not finished that yet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I did two playthroughs of The World Ends With You, one was 300+ hours and the other was 200+ hours.
    FF12 was 150 hours.
    P3P was 98 hours.
    FFV was 99:59 (maxed clock) long before I beat it.
    Star Ocean: First Departure was 70+ hours both times I played it.
    Persona 4 was close to 200 hours over 3 playthroughs.
    FFIX is at almost 40 hours and I'm only partway through the second disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

Does Dragon Quest IX count? If so, 102 hours, plan to go back and tidy up the side-quests eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Wow, some pretty impressive hours there!

I find that for some games the hours can go by without even noticing but others I can feel the grind. For example, I'm playing tactics ogre (psp) at the moment and loving it but I absolutely hate the weapon crafting system.

It's just silly, every item you craft has a % success rate. This means that if you want to create 10 items you have to go through the process 10 times (even if they have 100% success rate!). Surely they must realise that if an item has 50% chance of being a success then I'm going to save just before it and if it fails I'm gonna reload the save and try again?! Such a pain. Would be better to just let every item craft with 100% success but instead make the ingredients more rare. That way it would be possible to craft 10 smaller items at once etc etc.

Long story short, I spent roughly 3 un-enjoyable hours simply crafting newer weapons/armour for my team because of this system.

/rant over

• Advertisement

The worst game I've ever come across for making you notice the grinding is Digital Devil Saga. The difficulty curve around the end is insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ha, you guys don't know grinding until you've played Phantasy Star 1 and 2. A typical game of PS1 starts with you wandering outside and if you are unlucky getting killed by the first enemy you encounter. And if you get lucky and get an easy one you will be in such bad shape you'll have to limp back to town to recover health. Keep doing this until you've levelled up enough to take out more than one enemy at a time :)

FF Tactics was pretty bad for levelling up as well. Some of the difficulty spikes on the PS1 version were insane.

Shin Megami Tensei was bad as well but it's a dungeon crawler so goes with the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ha, you guys don't know grinding until you've played Phantasy Star 1 and 2. A typical game of PS1 starts with you wandering outside and if you are unlucky getting killed by the first enemy you encounter. And if you get lucky and get an easy one you will be in such bad shape you'll have to limp back to town to recover health. Keep doing this until you've levelled up enough to take out more than one enemy at a time :)

I don't remember the start of PS1 being that that hard. I played it on gba though so maybe they made some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

ScaldyMc wrote:
    Does Dragon Quest IX count? If so, 102 hours, plan to go back and tidy up the side-quests eventually.

I've put over 300 hours in this one.

Just started DQIX, pity it's going to be so hard to get maps for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Just started DQIX, pity it's going to be so hard to get maps for it.

I started DQIX but found it just not challenging enough. I felt it was a bit dumbed down for DS users. (maybe I just didn't get far enough into it).

Amazed that somebody clocked 300 hours on this. Is it that long?!

animaX wrote: »
    I started DQIX but found it just not challenging enough. I felt it was a bit dumbed down for DS users. (maybe I just didn't get far enough into it).

With the vast number of side quests and dungeons available such massive times are possible. You could finish the main story in about 50 hours.

animaX wrote: »

I heard it's all about the post game content and sidequests. Saying that I am finding it far easier at the start compared to the other DQ games which are quite challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Just finished Persona 4
    (normal ending)
    with a time of 95 hours.

I usually clock up over 100 hours per Pokémon game, and have gone over 200 hours in a couple of them thanks to my obsession with catching 'em all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

About sixty or seventy on FF VII was my max.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hit 80+ for the Persona games anyway, definitely the highest in recent times.

I have grown out of RPG OCD though as time has gone on, I'm no longer particularly concerned about time consuming post game quests etc.... At the time I'd say FF8 was close to the hundred mark, and probably two times 60 or so hours for FF7.

Oddly, Oblivion's final count put me at 120 hours - I honestly had no idea I'd played for that long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i remember FFT had my highest gameplay hour due to its replay-bility, something like 200+ hours. some serious game save on ps1 lol that was my first game play of FFT so longer game hours is kind reasonable(especially when i was a student!). and i didnt even count in the 80+ hours on the psp version....

FF: ff7-ffx all spent me at least 80+ hours, ff6 probably like 100+ and ff4/5 is lower. ff12 actually spent me quite alot time too because of all the marks+loading/travel time etc. all of them were only the 1st game play time lol. 13 i sealed it away as soon as i beat some interesting marks and finish the final boss, maybe ~40 hours.

i suddenly realise that the reason i have strong feeling to FFs is because i spent so much time on them ._.

okami- normal game time. persona 4 standard time. i used to play SuperRobotWar series ALOT, alpha2 MX on ps2 and F, OG and other old series on GBA.

recent years jrpg on x360/ps3 are pretty meh if i got one i just finish it with some nice 1st playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I think I put over 200 on FF8 the second time around.

The first time around the sorceress ate me cos I had basically powergamed 3 characters, not used the others (I figured this approach was cool, it worked in ff7, right?) and got completely buggered in the boss battle.

Second time around I power gamed all 6 and conversely walked the boss, more or less taking all the challenge and enjoyment out of her.

Think there's a lot of exaggeration here because I know that the FF7 and FF8 clocks max out just before 100 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Think there's a lot of exaggeration here because I know that the FF7 and FF8 clocks max out just before 100 hours.

The man's right, I took mine out to look at it and its maxed out at 99:59:59

Ah well, I guess we'll never know

Multiple files.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

173 on FFVII, 257hrs on FFVIII, 120+ on FFX...I liked alot of the music in VII, side quests and killing stuff for the hell of it in VIII, and the same with X...with added music and video clips once I dont pass the Tower in Sin:p

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

257hrs on FFVIII?...really?...the longest ive managed to squeeze out of a FF game so far is 130hr before getting completely bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Just wrapped up FFVII a while ago. Beat Emerald & Ruby Weapon, mastered all materias including Knights of the Round and completely slaughtered Sephiroth :D. Game clock is just over 70 hours.

I played and finished FFVIII all those years ago when it first came out. Don't have my PS1 anymore so don't really know how many hours I spent on it. Just installed FFIX on the PS3 so that's up next for me when I get some free time.

• Advertisement

A games developer has completed Dragon Quest IX after 773 hours. Now that's commitment. Reported on nintendolife (don't have a link).

Advertisement