Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

More than that I'd say you'd nearly make a small profit even second hand they don't go for much less than €350, give it a few years when discontinued they'll probably be worth more. They're a serious bargain RRP is €500

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭micks_address

unkel wrote: »
    To be honest, at those prices you can't go far wrong. Prices of Seiko divers have crept up significantly in the last year or two, all models have new or second hand. I would expect to be able to sell those watches easily at what you payed for them today in the near future. So pretty much risk free.

Was going to buy one, but I have my ultimate Seiko diver coming in, so thought the better of it. There's also a mint blue PADI Turtle for sale on adverts (not mine) if anyone is interested, I have dealt with the seller several times before
    What's your ultimate unkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

SBBN037 - been lusting after one for years!

I even started a thread about it last week:

Linky

Summary: I bought it and the watch started its journey from the land of the rising sun to me yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

bloody revolut issues this morning, wreaking my chances of getting the watch:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I can't believe the price Seiko divers are selling for at the moment! I bought my PADI Turtle new in a brick and mortar store in the US two years ago for what converted into €283, and they're selling second hand for ~400

• Advertisement

They do retail (RRP) for EUR600 in Ireland though. And our VAT alone adds EUR100 to the price of one as bought in the USA (I bought a new Seiko in a B&M store on both my USA visits in the last few years myself :D)

Seiko have gone up in price, I would say over the last 5-6 years based on when I bought my SKX and Monster. But I think it's a price adjustment which is now more or less done. On HUKD there have been multiple deals for Samurai's around £260-270 in 2018, 2019, 2020. And now Ernest Jones have them for £220.

There's always deals to be had and there's always people who pay too much on the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seiko have gone up in price, I would say over the last 5-6 years based on when I bought my SKX and Monster. But I think it's a price adjustment which is now more or less done. On HUKD there have been multiple deals for Samurai's around £260-270 in 2018, 2019, 2020. And now Ernest Jones have them for £220.

There's always deals to be had and there's always people who pay too much on the used market.

This.

I was tempted slightly to buy and hoard it for a while, in the hope it would gain like all the other Seiko divers, but when I thought about it, I'm not prepared to spend 225 now to make €100 in 12 or 24 months time. And that's not guaranteed.

I just went to check the price online in Macy's, I'd gotten mine in a small town outside a major city with a slightly lower sales tax (I swear I'm not usually that cheap but when an extra 10 minutes can mean an extra 10/15 quid..) and they've completely gutted their wristwatch selection.

They used have a great selection of Tissot, Seiko, etc. the best brands they have now is Casio, and even then..!

We have to go back over under unfortunate circumstances as soon as it's safe to, but I'll definitely be sticking my head in to the b&m stores to see why they have in clearance.

Macy's got looted, didn't they :(

Curfew in New York city for the first time since the 1940s :mad:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Macy's got looted, didn't they :(

Curfew in New York city for the first time since the 1940s :mad:

The one in Manhattan? According to local news and friends/colleagues there, two guys broke in and were arrested. The store was already boarded up and most stock emptied at the start of lockdown

There's a lot of BS spreading about the extent of the looting, similar to the Watches of Switzerland store that had a whole pile of rabble rousing articles posted about it being looted empty - but their stock had been moved at the start of the Covid outbreak.

The curfew is insane. I've had colleagues beaten while reporting, being blocked out of subway access by NYPD and then being charged for breaking curfew. The whole country needs serious reform.

Edit: correction to my first paragraph, apparently 10k looted/damage done to the Macy's referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

NIMAN wrote: »
    And... out of stock. Im always too late on this one. Argos did this deal last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Has anyone had any joy with ordering from HSamuel in the UK? I tried before but gave up the ghost with the amount of messing around. I dont think they accepted an Irish card being used for the purchase. Which was pretty annoying considering the difference in mark up between the UK and Irish stores...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cassius99 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any joy with ordering from HSamuel in the UK? I tried before but gave up the ghost with the amount of messing around. I dont think they accepted an Irish card being used for the purchase. Which was pretty annoying considering the difference in mark up between the UK and Irish stores...

Irish debit card?

I always assumed a card was a card, sure don't they always say "accepted in 13 million outlets around the world"?

Maybe its because each card has an address tied to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

NIMAN wrote: »
    Irish debit card?

I always assumed a card was a card, sure don't they always say "accepted in 13 million outlets around the world"?

Maybe its because each card has an address tied to it?

Tried both the Debit and Credit card. Possibly, I rarely have had any issues ordering stuff online before but they really threw a spanner in the works. Got the impression that it was a case of "you'll pay the premium in the Irish store or you wont buy at all". Tried to use PM or PW to no avail. My memory is a bit hazy, but I do seem to recall now that there was something in their terms and conditions about not accepting orders from Ireland. Put me off them as a company TBH.

Now someone here before posted a link to a different UK company, AMJ watches and I have to say the experience couldn't have been better. Fast, friendly and a great range of Seiko watches on sale. Picked up a couple of Pressage models for peanuts a few weeks back.

It's your card being flagged Irish where they don't deliver. You can often get around this with Revolute card as you can have a UK address as an extra billing one on the card (Parcel wizard/motel) and it's UK issued. Still gets flagged sometimes as some companies won't deliver to parcel forwarding services. Just be aware insurance is low with these so I wouldn't get an expensive watch through them.

Cassius99 wrote: »
    Maybe try request a price-match in a few UK/European stores. Ones which explicitly ship to Ireland (eg WatchShop.com). Worth a shot, worst that can happen is you waste a few minutes.

Back again
    https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/5313023/seiko+prospex+men%27s+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/

Mine just landed! :D

Good turn around considering the current issues. Dispatched 66 minutes after I ordered on Tuesday. Got to Belfast Parcel Wizard yesterday morning and just delivered now just over 48hrs after shipping.

Need to order a bracelet tool now to resize it. Must get a NATO and Barton silicone strap wear with it too.

The bezel does line up forgot to do it for the photo!
    518592.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pulsar-sport-pg8293x1-gents-100-bar-watch-3286-at-amazon-3499429

Pulsar diver for 34 euro rougly delivered. Obviously not as good as the previous few Seiko bargain but guaranteed to receive and it gives you a poor man's experience of the batman flavouring.

Also, pulsar was the first watch I owned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Ryath wrote: »
    Having buyers remorse and wondering if I should have spent the extra €20 on this! :confused: Ideal world I'd like both. :D They're both lovely pieces.

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/4872797/seiko+prospex+padi+men%27s+black+dial+bracelet+watch/

SRPB99K1-3__46845.1584353995.jpg?c=2

Got my addresspal text, so it looks like Revolut and address pal is the way to go to get thses deals . Went for teh above in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Ryath wrote: »

Tried to buy one of the G Steels, but no combination of Parcel Motel or AddressPal would work with my visa card or credit card :(

Do you have a revolut card? You can have a UK address set up on it and it's UK issued. It saves a few percent too as they give better exchange rates and don't have an admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given the day thats in it, it being ThirdFox's of our Parish launch day on Kickstarter...
    It'd be remiss of us not to add the Starlight to the bargain watches alert ;)

I know a pile of us have chipped in to back it!
    But in case someone sees this thread on the frontpage!
    The auld Starlight is blooming great value! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Cheap Rolex Explorer on Adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/20907422

Seller has no feedback though if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

banie01 wrote: »
    Given the day thats in it, it being ThirdFox's of our Parish launch day on Kickstarter...
    It'd be remiss of us not to add the Starlight to the bargain watches alert ;)

I know a pile of us have chipped in to back it!
    But in case someone sees this thread on the frontpage!
    The auld Starlight is blooming great value! :D

Haha - not if you read some of the youtube comments (don't worry I know the worth of my own watch)... "$20 watch" has come up twice now :pac:

Maybe one day that poster will look on an ALS Saxonia thin:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-lange-and-sohne-saxonia-copper-blue-introducing

And think - "hey - why is this $20 watch going for $22,000?" :D (not that the Sólás' workmanship can compare to ALS in any way of course - still for 2% the price of the ALS - maybe it's slightly more than 2% the quality of it too :)

Actually I should have posted in this thread - considering I'm actually someone who's not buying one of these Starlights and think it's a bargain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

2shea wrote: »
    Cheap Rolex Explorer on Adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/20907422

Seller has no feedback though if that means anything.

Dodgy I think. He ignored my “bids”.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

893bet wrote: »
    Dodgy I think. He ignored my “bids”.

Yes it looks sus alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2shea wrote: »
    Yes it looks sus alright

Very fishy.

Weird phone number, email address and price in sterling in the description. The photo looks to have been used in a load of other listings.

And also selling a macbook and cheap flights.

Advertisement