Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

peasant wrote: »
    Alternatively you could buy a brandnew Raketa 2609 "Yalta"

ya.jpgya.jpg

only problem is ...at 590 Euro I would no longer call that a bargain

http://world.raketa-shop.com/22-only-mechanical

I was excited there for 0.5 seconds.....feck 590 are these really selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I was excited there for 0.5 seconds.....feck 590 are these really selling?

Well ...if it was some Swiss brand with an in-house movement, nobody would flinch at that price, on the contrary.

Can't blame Raketa for trying a different approach. The times where they could produce and sell millions of watches for pocket money are over.

On the face of it you still have a well made, good looking watch there. Fitted with a hand-wind in-house movement with central seconds hand (i.e. none of your ETA/Unitas 6497/6498 standard fare).

With the right marketing people might just buy it (just not the people like me who are used to Raketas < 50 quid :D)

Today's bargain that I'm not buying.

Here's a Bellski & Rosski (:D) for 95 quid.

Kirova mechanical chronograph as fitted to several Soviet jet fighters ...the real thing, not just pretendski :D

$(KGrHqJHJCQE8fQm0Np,BPN7j)QVmg~~60_12.JPG$(KGrHqF,!jUE8DfiGepiBPN7j9,jyg~~60_12.JPG
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/POLJOT-Borduhr-A4C-1M-Kirova-inkl-Plexiglasstander-/220967827515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3372b5783b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That's awesome as they say in the good auld USofA.

1959 Rolex (£600). To me it looks a beauty but I'm no expert on vintage. Nice way to get a Rolex into the collection however.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-1959-vintage-rolex-oyster-precision-6426-a-651929.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Today's bargain that I'm not buying.

Here's a Bellski & Rosski (:D) for 95 quid.

Kirova mechanical chronograph as fitted to several Soviet jet fighters ...the real thing, not just pretendski :D

http://www.ebay.de/itm/POLJOT-Borduhr-A4C-1M-Kirova-inkl-Plexiglasstander-/220967827515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3372b5783b

That is really, really cool.

There it is (bottom center) in the cockpit of a MIG 29

http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/37604_28616.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Well ...if it was some Swiss brand with an in-house movement, nobody would flinch at that price, on the contrary.

Can't blame Raketa for trying a different approach. The times where they could produce and sell millions of watches for pocket money are over.

On the face of it you still have a well made, good looking watch there. Fitted with a hand-wind in-house movement with central seconds hand (i.e. none of your ETA/Unitas 6497/6498 standard fare).

With the right marketing people might just buy it (just not the people like me who are used to Raketas < 50 quid :D)

You are absolutely right, and I would consider buying it when I am in the market for a dress watch, but it would have stiff competition against a Seiko or Stowa in the same price bracket. I would like to see how they are finished under the hood, and I wonder how the finish of the movement would compare to a seiko in the same price bracket, looks wise it certainly seems to be in the game and yes it would certainly be different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There it is (bottom center) in the cockpit of a MIG 29

http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/37604_28616.jpg

I have one of those clocks from years back. Came in a polystyrene box with instructions and it's testing centre results. Good quality and very good timekeeper. Bang on consistent at -4 seconds a day regardlessof the state of wind. Couple of interesting features on em. Chronograph, and a second dial which you can set to a different timezone which is funkaaay. 27 volt connectors on the back for an internal heater I gather? It's covered in luminous paint. Everything that looks white in a photo lights up. I thought it was non radioctive paint, but there was a very faint glow to it even if left in pitch black so likely tritium. What's odd is that it winds anti clockwise which is a pain, until I figured it's like that so you wind it with your left hand? Loud as fcuk mind you, so not for the bedside table. :) It should really be a Jaegerski as it's ripping off one of their movements.

They're normally around the 150 qud mark so that's a cheap one. Worth a punt if you dig that sorta thing and lets face it we do. :) There are a couple of other so called "mig clocks". They were fitted to all sorts of military kit. Tanks, boats and the like. There's one that's older that's chronograph only. There's a funky one that's got a 24 hour dial. It was fitted to nuclear subs and Sukhoi fighters I gather and they seem to be rarer now.

Edit here's a page with an assortment of ex Soviet clocks http://www.maurnavy.com/?page=aircraft The 24 hour lad is the first one. IMHO the funkiest of the lot. That said I could never get used to the 24 dial thang.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

**** it, it's been sold already. Was just about to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Homer

Eoin wrote: »
    **** it, it's been sold already. Was just about to go for it.

There's at least two aerosexuals that I know are contributors to this forum that would have been very interested in that! They know who they are!!

Here's a little non-watch story (just to rub salt in your wounds, Eoin)

While I was doing my basic training as cannonfodder in the German airforce, we had to learn the outlines and Nato codenames of Soviet aeroplanes (so that we'd shoot our popguns at the right guys :D)

At that time the MIG29 (or "Fulcrum") was considered the most advanced jetfighter around, with its helmet vizor controlled firing system it would sweep all Nato fighters out of the sky. The brass were really keen to get their hands on one to take it apart and study it.

Only months later, after the fall of the wall, the German Luftwaffe had actually inherited a whole fleet of MIG29's and were flying them in German livery. They even found it in their hearts to give one to their American friends to go over it with a fine tooth comb :D

mikoyan_mig_29_fulcrum.jpg

Strange to think that this advanced machine had a chrono fitted whose design harks back to the 1930's (or even earlier ...Wibbs will correct me I'm sure) ...but that's the Soviets for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

but that's the Soviets for you.
    Yea true on all counts P, but the Russian mindset has it's advantages. They were very innovative on soooo many levels, but they were also damned practical with it. If it worked and worked well why fcuk with the concept just to be "clever". They were thinking of a nuclear based battlefield. Just one EMF pulse from a nuke would take out much of the western tech in a heartbeat. But that clock would keep ticking while the quartz clock would be a lump of useless metal and plastic. If WW3 ever happens and we're marching around a nuclear wasteland a Breguet from the 18th century will still be ticking looong after the G-shocks will have given up the ghost.

I'm old enough :o to remember when the bloke defected with the Mig "foxbat". Our Yankee cousins laughed at the fact it was "old tech" and even had old stylee valves as part of it's aeronautics. Valves are immune to EMF. All this and the fact that the Mig29 could operate from a ploughed field or a road in all weathers and could even run common diesel in place of aviation fuel and could be rearmed very quickly. The F16 by comparison can have issues with flying in heavy rain and takes over twice as long to swap out an engine, never mid rearm.

They learned well from your fellow Germans in WW2 on that front. Your guys were and still are amazingly good at balancing seriously inventive tech and practicality. My dad on the "other side" in those daft and crazy times learned to read German and in my innocence I once asked him "WTF why?" His response? "those feckers were the best, most inventive engineers out there, so you just had to be able read about what they were up to".

So it is with watches. If you want the best most intricate engineering generally speaking go to the Germans/German Swiss, if you want pretty damn good that you can fix with a hammer and pliers and at a good price the Russians are your best bet. :D

PS Damn cool experience P. Now... have you any contacts knocking around that can source us some ex Bundeswehr watches by any chance?...... Nudge nudge ;);) Though given your extensive and fascinating collection I'm suspecting you have more contacts in the KG used to B.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You can nudge me all you like ...all the contact with the Bundeswehr that I (still) have is a pair of worn out army boots :D (and my ex Feldjaeger van)
    And as for the Russians ...other than a degree in e-bay bargains, no contacts either.

Feck.:(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...The F16 by comparison can have issues with flying in heavy rain and takes over twice as long to swap out an engine, never mid rearm. ...

Kill ratio of 72:0 ( or something like) it doesn't need to rearm. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Homer wrote: »
    There's at least two aerosexuals that I know are contributors to this forum that would have been very interested in that! They know who they are!!

:o:o
    It's a disease :o

Got to see one of these MiGs up close on a recent visit to Moscow. They are quite massive, it's hard to believe they are so large.

Nice information on the design and use of analogue technology to counter EMP. I recall seeing a programn a while back about how the US and Soviets trained their pilots and how the US relied on technology and high tech suits to train their pilots to deal with G-Forces where the soviets just conditioned them to the forces. Interesting to see how both sides progressed.

Not sure if this one was the MiG or the Sukhoi.
    758fac3d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this one was the MiG or the Sukhoi.

In fairness to the Russians they camouflage them well :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    They're normally around the 150 qud mark so that's a cheap one. Worth a punt if you dig that sorta thing and lets face it we do. :) There are a couple of other so called "mig clocks". They were fitted to all sorts of military kit. Tanks, boats and the like. There's one that's older that's chronograph only.

Do you reckon this one might be spurious then, if it's just going for 50 quid? (accepting that you might get stung for customs as well).

Looks real to me ...it just isn't the MIG 29 one, but nice all the same

Yea it looks like an earlier model. They tend to go for around the 80 quid mark from what I remember. Still a nice clock E and you can't go wrong for 50 quid. :)

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Thanks! I'll probably go for the cheaper one though, think I've found another eBay seller that makes stands for them.

The cheaper one's in better nick and still has it's mounting clamp. Plus they're more rarely seen.

... think I've found another eBay seller that makes stands for them.

Ahhh, come on ...nice bit of thick stainless steel from your local fabricator's cut-off bin, throw him a fiver and he'll bend it for you and the rest is up to your trusted Dremel and a bit of elbow grease ...it'll be fun

• Advertisement

... think I've found another eBay seller that makes stands for them.

Ahhh, come on ...nice bit of thick stainless steel from your local fabricator's cut-off bin, throw him a fiver and he'll bend it for you and the rest is up to your trusted Dremel and a bit of elbow grease ...it'll be fun

Actually, that's a bloody good idea. I am ridiculously unhandy but I'll see what I can do up.

Advertisement