Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

unkel wrote: »
    Spoilsport. You saying people can't actually share a bargain they've spotted and bought for themselves?

He is also one click away from actually ordering it. So nothing to indicate that he actually bought it.

I bought it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    I bought it :(

Of course you did :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    This is supposed to be bargain watches that I'm NOT buying.

If I'd bought it I'd have posted a screen shot of the receipt, not the pre sale checkout basket.

Boom! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Ryath wrote: »
    Won't get cheaper better beater for the money €11.50! Nearly tempted to get a second one as a spare!

Great little piece! So so light and comfortable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody looking for a 1967 approx Longines vintage dress watch? 50 quid with a couple of days before auction ends

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1960s-VINTAGE-SWISS-LONGINES-SLIM-CASE-WATCH-NO-RESERVE-AUCTION/283477893694?hash=item420099623e:g:J5wAAOSw3lRc0sx5

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anybody looking for a 1967 approx Longines vintage dress watch? 50 quid with a couple of days before auction ends

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1960s-VINTAGE-SWISS-LONGINES-SLIM-CASE-WATCH-NO-RESERVE-AUCTION/283477893694?hash=item420099623e:g:J5wAAOSw3lRc0sx5

3 days is a very long time left for an eBay auction, most real bidders don t chime in until the very end in my experience.
    Worth checking with the seller about shipping to Ireland aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ryath wrote: »
    Won't get cheaper better beater for the money €11.50!

454557.jpg

Yep I got one too! It's so light and comfortable. I mean €11.50!!

Here's the link to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Picked up two of these Casio’s for my two tweenage sons. Told them they were based on a Navy Seal dive watch, not too unlike this model, even have Lume :

https://www.luminox.com/watch-collection/sea/original-navy-seal-3000-series/xs-3001.html

Anyway they’re chuffed, good spot OP....

20190515-021908.jpg

Im using it on nights at the moment. Lume isn't great. But hey €11.50 plus I just use my torch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Unkel's Steinhart on Adverts...

Seems like €230 is going to buy it.

Super bargain that some lucky sod is getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Unkel's Steinhart on Adverts...

Seems like €230 is going to buy it.

Super bargain that some lucky sod is getting there.

Yup, 5 minutes left :)

Stuck in a £151 bid on this and it sold for £180.

Someone got a really nice watch for a slightly larger bag of peanuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

2shea wrote: »

Im using it on nights at the moment. Lume isn't great. But hey €11.50 plus I just use my torch.

Nice! Going to try and pick one up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

http://www.adverts.ie/18129496

Any opinions on this?
    Bargain, or not so much???

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

A nice looking watch, but very small. That strap suits it well.

No pics of the movement it seems?
    DavyD_83 wrote: »

Any opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Any opinions on this?

I'd wait for Wibbs to jump in with his knowledge on vintage watches but to me it seems like the price is set at "adverts" prices i.e. too high to give room for haggling. Unless there is something special about the watch I often see older Omegas go for around 200-300 euro-ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any opinions on this?

I would be wary about any watch sold from Carrick On Shannon. A known watch scam artist works from there. This may or may not be him, but be careful

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Cienciano wrote: »
    I would be wary about any watch sold from Carrick On Shannon. A known watch scam artist works from there. This may or may not be him, but be careful

As an Adverts Admin I can vouch for the seller sony69

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Spocker wrote: »

Cool, glad I included the "may or may not" bit then!

• Advertisement

I've bought a couple of Seikos from him and he's very good to deal with. Good communication and watch was in my hands a couple of days after sale :cool:

Any opinions on this?

I like that a lot.

Don't be put off by the size necessarily - that was the style when it was made and you'll find the proportions are worked out really well. I've a 34mm Certina from back in the day and it wears very nicely. It's consistent with/true to the period, which is what you're buying.

They won't do much unless it comes with a massive "fake watch" sign

oxocube wrote: »
    I've bought a couple of Seikos from him and he's very good to deal with. Good communication and watch was in my hands a couple of days after sale :cool:

Thanks for that. I've been following Sony69 for a while, he had a few bits I've been curious about, always had impression he was fully legit a and had the Santa positive reviews and sale history to support.
    I was more wondering about the specific watch, I really like the look of it (not the strap, but it's not original so can result change), but haven't a clue what its"worth" or it's history. Have never spent over 200 on a watch. I'm trying to convince myself it's worth the stretch, but just not sure...
    Maybe from 1967:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-cosmic-st-166-0022

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I like that a lot.

Don't be put off by the size necessarily - that was the style when it was made and you'll find the proportions are worked out really well. I've a 34mm Certina from back in the day and it wears very nicely. It's consistent with/true to the period, which is what you're buying.

Size really isn't putting me off. I've a small wrist and have accepted that ;)
    Just don't know anything about the model or brand apart from the general "omega are fancy" concept.

I really like watches, but I don't know much, and would definitely not consider myself a collector etc.

Plus, I have mortgage and kids and zero spare money which somewhat limits things

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Size really isn't putting me off. I've a small wrist and have accepted that ;)
    Same here. :) I dunno about that Omega. My Personal opinion? It's too small even for the 1960's(which it does seem to be from). Actually especially for the 1960's as watch sizes were growing overall. For me and I have scrawny wrists I'd not go below 35mm as a rule. Not at that kinda money. And I wouldn't go gold plated either. It wears faster and looks cheaper. As a general rule go for steel.

He's not overcooking the price too much to be fair, though again IMHO for that size in gold plate? Nope. Omega attract higher values because of more recognition in the general public's eye and they are quality as well of course.

For over a hundred quid less, you could get this Omega. A watch with more wrist presence at 38mmx42mm and with a more interesting movement and in stainless steel and a chronometer and if you get tired of it will have higher resale value.

s-l1600.jpg

The movement is electronic not quartz, it's a tuning fork movement that has a very interesting history and will be more accurate and the cool thing is it hums it doesn't tick and the seconds hand is very smooth in movement. If it were my money that's more the kinda thing I'd be looking at.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Great Watch Wibbs.

As an example of how a smaller piece can look on the wrist I just popped on my Granddad's Certina which I think is 34mm (definitely no more than 34mm). I have a decent size wrist and it still wears really nicely. I tend to wear it with a suit and I never get the sense it's under-sized. It's surprising how well the vintage pieces wear despite the trend towards larger sizes. They really did know how to make them.

2s127py.jpg

Older pic

2akkcbp.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh that they did E. Nice watch :) Certina made some lovely examples. The trend towards very large today has eased off somewhat. It seems to have peaked a couple of years ago. It can depend on the case design too. Lug length is one factor, amount of dial space another. Some wear larger or smaller than others. The 60's and 70's stuff tends to wear larger.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I did just buy this but for the money it looks class. 2 versions

Discount code NEWSLETTER get is for £89 delivered an all

3250940.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Advertisement