Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A 1940's Mimo(Gerard Perregaux) column wheel Valjoux based chronograph for 600 quid is not too bad at all.

s-l500.jpg

Up down registers, original dial and looks to be running OK. Amplitude is low, but a new mainspring and clean would sort that. The seller reckons its a chromed case, but it looks all steel to me or it was never worn. 35mm would likely put off many though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

And a pulseometer for good measure.

Shame I don't have the spare money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wow, that is a bargain. I would have thought that would have a reserve higher than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Wow, that is a bargain. I would have thought that would have a reserve higher than that.
    It's basically down to it not being a well known brand found on blogs, forums, Hodinkee and dealers and no longer exists in that form. As an example a few years ago you could find French brand LIP 70's chronographs for between 3-500 quid, then hodinkee did an ooh and ahh article and used daft terms like Panda and Paul Newman dials and noted the brand distributed Breitling and Blancpain in France and overnight they were well over a grand and more(and a few showed up in their shop...). But as stocks of the old reliable names dry up no doubt Mimo and others be cool hunted too. Just like LIP and Zodiac etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's basically down to it not being a well known brand found on blogs, forums

Had an example of that just recently when I saw this Nivada Alertamatic alarm watch come up on Yahoo Auctions [Link]

i-img600x450-1612065670ralkdb172462.jpg

Sold for €410, never heard of the name but it uses the same Omega 980 movement found in the Memomatic for which prices start at double what it sold for,even for the gold models

memomatic-jpg.445308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Was on the hunt for a nivada baby whale for ages but could never find one i was happy with

Want a travel clock that isn't some overpriced tarted up junker by Hodinkee? If that's your bag then maybe have a look at this.

s-l400.jpg

Jaeger with alarm. They say 30's but I'd be more inclined to say 40's or 50's. Under two days to go, running at 30 quid at the moment. 200 odd quid final price?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Want a travel clock that isn't some overpriced tarted up junker by Hodinkee? If that's your bag then maybe have a look at this.

s-l400.jpg

Jaeger with alarm. They say 30's but I'd be more inclined to say 40's or 50's. Under two days to go, running at 30 quid at the moment. 200 odd quid final price?

I'd be inclined to say 50s as well, those are a great find if you find a good one. I sold a non runner last year for about 50 quid on ebay, so there's definitely some value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

s-l400.jpg

Just went for €50.49 plus shipping. Hmmed and hawwed but I didn’t pull the trigger.

How much did the shysters at hodinkee want for theirs? A few grand? Then again they sold out, so there are plenty of fools and their money parting ways. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wasn't it something close to 6-7 grand? Paying for the special font used... I should have made people aware of just how special the blzee font used on Sólás was :D

But watches are a pretty capitalistic market - supply and demand is freely set and people always have alternatives - so if people want to pay 7 grand for a Hodinkee clock or someone wants to pay $1 million for an all blue modern art painting then all power to them.

I just want to be doing the selling to them. :D

You can literally sell poop in a can if you're famous enough:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_****

€275,000 would pay for a lot of Hodinkee clocks to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

[EXPIRED]

Casio MDV-106 $71.75 (approx €60) incl shipping & pre-paid taxes from Amazon.com
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-1AV-Analog-Watch-Black/dp/B009KYJAJY

The base price ($47) is fairly standard for the MDV in the US, so this is only a bargain in the sense of the reasonable shipping and not having to worry about inflated clearance fees etc. It's not a huge bargain but might be the last chance to get one with the Marlin logo for this price.

MDV106-1A_large.png

I like this, although it doesnt appear particularly outstanding, it'd make a nice day to day watch. I like Casio watches, why might it be the last chance with the Marlin logo? and what is the logo about? I kind of need watches with a day display or even more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Just went for €50.49 plus shipping. Hmmed and hawwed but I didn’t pull the trigger.

I am such a sheep, I never knew this existed and now I kinda want one sitting beside my watch box.

Hold-My-Beer_Black_Mens_01_2e822841-2891-42b1-9371-ee877ee2e66f_grande.jpeg?v=1433482855

:D

1874 wrote: »
    I like this, although it doesnt appear particularly outstanding, it'd make a nice day to day watch. I like Casio watches, why might it be the last chance with the Marlin logo? and what is the logo about? I kind of need watches with a day display or even more information.
    The deal (€60 incl shipping and taxes) is expired. Maybe it comes and goes, I dunno.

The MDV106 (with Marlin) is apparently discontinued, to be replaced with MDV107 (without). Some kind of licensing or patent thing.

The Marlin is just a logo, if you don't care about it then it makes no difference, the watch is the same otherwise. But this particular watch has a "following" of sorts, a lot of people will want the Marlin one. The Marlin goes back to 1980s Casio dive watches, it's part of Casio lore so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

1874 wrote: »

I have one that I have rarely worn. Think I paid something in the mid 60s for it about a year ago. I could break the habit of a lifetime and sell it to you if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I need to get a new battery in mine, but who knows when the jewelers will be open again to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Not sure if this is the right place but while browsing amazon came across a benyar watch in the same colour scheme as a milgausse even down to lighting bolt second hand for 50 euor I think

Not sure if this is the right place but while browsing amazon came across a benyar watch in the same colour scheme as a milgausse even down to lighting bolt second hand for 50 euor I think

One for the fake busters?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Wouldn't be a fake as no mention of rolex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

An homage...

True. I think this is it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-Stainless-Waterproof-Self-Winding-Wristwatch/dp/B08P5KN5C8/ref=sr_1_46?crid=3394M9CJHIBAY&dchild=1&keywords=benyar+mens+watch&qid=1613641960&sprefix=Beny%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-46

It's over priced at Amazon IMO.

Check out the case back where it says Sainless Steel. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

True. I think this is it
    Check out the case back where it says Sainless Steel. Lol

You can't beat the feel of Sainless steel against the wrist :P:P

Well I've never seen a sain in my life, so clearly it's working. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Sainless means brass covered in a light coating of chrome according to the reviews.

For 50 quid keep expectations on the floor and you won’t be disappointed.

But it will be pure muck and will not last daily wear for long before it looks like the rubbish it is.

When you look at the comments and see that reviewers are comparing it to watches received from Wish I guess they could be pleasantly surprised :)

An Irish colleague of MsThirdfox mentioned to her that Chinese watches are terrible quality and based it on the $10 dollar watch he got from Wish.com (free shipping too!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

You don't need to be blowing 2 figure sums of cash for stainless steel - 4 euro delivered from Aliexpress (purely to test the size I hasten to add :pac:). Arrived 2 days ago and I'm somewhat shocked it's still running...

IMG-20210218-160354.jpg

Advertisement