Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are employers exploiting employees?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I feel I am being exoloited and taken advantage of at work. I used to have a 10 hour working day, which is long enough but that has increased without warning to 11/12 hours a day and sometimes longer 13/14/15 hours a day sometimes. With the work that I do, I dont have anyone to come along and relief me for a break so it's all work. I don't eat properly. If I am lucky to get a meal fitted in, it is rushed. I dont sleep properly. A schedule like this takes every ounch of energy out from you.

There was a thread over in PI. I'm not the op by the way, and there are a few more in my position - being worked right into the ground.

I know many people are unemployed but if you do have a job, what is it like for you? Do you feel you are being exploited in a similiar manner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Well, that's not on. You are entitled to breaks. Sorry, I don't know the guidelines, but no-one should be expected to work that long without breaks. Hopefully someone will come along soon that knows more.

I imagine that this is becoming increasingly common. People are worried about losing jobs because there is not a lot out there so employers are able to pile on the work and it's a case of do it or leave because someone else will take the job in a heartbeat.

Maybe this would be better in the work /jobs forum or PI for serious answers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Well, that's not on. You are entitled to breaks. Sorry, I don't know the guidelines, but no-one should be expected to work that long without breaks. Hopefully someone will come along soon that knows more.

I imagine that this is becoming increasingly common. People are worried about losing jobs because there is not a lot out there so employers are able to pile on the work and it's a case of do it or leave because someone else will take the job in a heartbeat.

Maybe this would be better in the work /jobs forum or PI for serious answers???
    On my phone so will keep short. There's max amount of hours you can work in a week and must get regular breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Where i work, you do a 7 day stretch, get a day off then back in for another 5 days.... its murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Unless you're working in a beer tasting factory,your employer is taking you for a fookin eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I feel I am being exoloited and taken advantage of at work. I used to have a 10 hour working day, which is long enough but that has increased without warning to 11/12 hours a day and sometimes longer 13/14/15 hours a day sometimes. With the work that I do, I dont have anyone to come along and relief me for a break so it's all work. I don't eat properly. If I am lucky to get a meal fitted in, it is rushed. I dont sleep properly. A schedule like this takes every ounch of energy out from you.

There was a thread over in PI. I'm not the op by the way, and there are a few more in my position - being worked right into the ground.

I know many people are unemployed but if you do have a job, what is it like for you? Do you feel you are being exploited in a similiar manner?

wtf do you work as? get a passport and the f*ck out.

• Advertisement

I think it might be worthwhile finding out what you are entitled to and then getting together with the other employees and approaching management.

Nothing will change if you don't stand up for yourself. Of course, make sure everything is documented because if they threaten you in any way you have legitimate grounds to sue them for unfair dismissal if they decideto take that route.

You should not be a slave for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Are you a junior doctor working in a hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

If my memory serves me correctly, according to the European Working Time Directive you cannot be forced to work any more than 48 hours in one working week.
    Also, under the factories act, you're due a lunch break between the 4th and 5th hours of your working day.

Link to the Directive is Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Do you really enjoy your job that much?

9-5pm and then clock the f*ck out man

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

What do you do? I work for a guy that would arrive on site at 10 or 11 and he'll expect me to do 8 hours after that even though I would have been there at 7 or 8, I put my foot down about two weeks ago and he was a bit taken aback. Things have changed for the moment but I think they'll revert back after a while....

You need to say how you feel but be careful not to do it in an aggressive way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

I started a 4 week trial period for a new position after being unemployed for nearly two years. I took the position knowing i would not get any form of wage for the first month. Yesterday the boss calls me in and tells me he is delighted with my performance and that he would like to extend my position for another 3 months (without pay lol) I told him where to stick it in a polite way :). I am hard pushed to find suitable employment to be honest but i ain't working for free. I have held the same position in my previous job for 10 solid years and had been paid well yet this guy wants to rate my performance for a further 12 weeks and wants me to do it for nothing......i dont think so

I started a 4 week trial period for a new position after being unemployed for nearly two years. I took the position knowing i would not get any form of wage for the first month. Yesterday the boss calls me in and tells me he is delighted with my performance and that he would like to extend my position for another 3 months (without pay lol) I told him where to stick it in a polite way :). I am hard pushed to find suitable employment to be honest but i ain't working for free. I have held the same position in my previous job for 10 solid years and had been paid well yet this guy wants to rate my performance for a further 12 weeks and wants me to do it for nothing......i dont think so

Fair play to you. People need to stand up for themselves. Can I ask what his reaction was???

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Sorry to hear your circumstances op. Im sick to death of employers taking the absolute piss and getting away with murder and putting everything down to the "Recession". Most of these Scumbags are exploiting every ounce of sweat out of decent hardworking people. Id love to see primetime or something similar do a load of undercover investigations on these lowlifes and then blast them all over RTE and front of the national newspapers. Greed, greed and more greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

tallus wrote: »
    If my memory serves me correctly, according to the European Working Time Directive you cannot be forced to work any more than 48 hours in one working week.

Or 13 hours in one day (some industries such as healthcare are not covered though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

blaze1 wrote: »
    Do you really enjoy your job that much?

9-5pm and then clock the f*ck out man
    Some people are slaves to their job and can't see anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The law is your friend in this case.

Law

More Readable version

If what your employer is asking you to do is illegal, then you have a case. If not, it's up to you to ask yourself "is it time to get a new job"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Some people are slaves to their job and can't see anything else.

Some people have no choice, I have a 45 hour week for barely above minimum wage. It's either put up with it or emigrate. I've stuck 18 months and now I'm going to Australia, OP get out while you can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Ha, OP you must work in the same place as me!

I work in a hotel bar, about 48 hours a week (mon-sun) but they scam it by making our working week fri to thurs... dunno how it works but it does!

I actually worked 11 hours yesterday, no break, on my feet all day.

I am going back to college in september so as long as I have money going into the bank im ok.. Could never do it long term though!

Its hell on earth, crap money.. but what else am i going to do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ha, OP you must work in the same place as me!

I work in a hotel bar, about 48 hours a week (mon-sun) but they scam it by making our working week fri to thurs... dunno how it works but it does!

I actually worked 11 hours yesterday, no break, on my feet all day.

I am going back to college in september so as long as I have money going into the bank im ok.. Could never do it long term though!

Its hell on earth, crap money.. but what else am i going to do...

go on the game,1 nights wage for 30 minutes

Fair play to you. People need to stand up for themselves. Can I ask what his reaction was???

His reaction was what i expected it to be "Well their are plenty of people looking for work". So in any case he can keep hiring people on a trial basis and he does'nt have to pay them, madness tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Working without pay on a "trial basis" should be outlawed as its being abused. It will continue to get worse. Its like getting teeth out without the anesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

This kind of sh1t needs to be sorted out pronto.

Its sickening the amount of work placement schemes I've seen on Fas looking for *Experienced* people to work a job for free when the whole idea of the scheme is to give people work experience. There's a lot of bottom feeding scum out there taking the p1ss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

If your employer is making you do it its illegal.
    If you are doing it because you feel you need to or you think they want you to then you are a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Jaysus OP,thats hardcore, and I thought my position was bad!

After been unemployed for little over 18months desperation got the better of me and I signed up with yet another recruitment agency to see if I could get anything by way of a steady income, I got a placement with a large multinational distributor.

It's only an 11 month contract with no possibility of a permanent job,it pays just on the edge of minimum wage,however,I've learned that the company pay the agency €14.50 per hour for each of us,so,they are making a handsome sum of €215 pw on each 'recruit' .....for what, I have no idea, they supplied nothing but a handbook,they provide nothing by way of a service to me,yet they cream €215 out of my sweat every week.

Employers/Employment Agencies are exploiting employee's the lenght and bredth of the country and getting away with it,it's disgusting whats going on but with so many out of work and desperate for a job they know they have the upper hand,employees are over a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    This kind of sh1t needs to be sorted out pronto.

Its sickening the amount of work placement schemes I've seen on Fas looking for *Experienced* people to work a job for free when the whole idea of the scheme is to give people work experience. There's a lot of bottom feeding scum out there taking the p1ss tbh.
    I fear so much for Irelands future. One thing I will say is that employers need to be helped out like perhaps as an example reducing employers prsi but not giving them slaves to abuse.

I fear so much for Irelands future. One thing I will say is that employers need to be helped out like perhaps as an example reducing employers prsi but not giving them slaves to abuse.

Employers need to have a conscience !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

What another poster said primetime needs to go undercover and do an investigation into such employers and bring this sh1t to light before it gets out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Working without pay on a "trial basis" should be outlawed as its being abused. It will continue to get worse. Its like getting teeth out without the anesthetic.

Even more so if there are any unpaid dentists working on a trial basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speed-up-american-workers-long-hours

"(To balk at working hard—really, really hard—brands you as profoundly un-American. Who besides the archetypical Japanese salaryman derives so much of his self-image from self-sacrifice on the job? Slacker is one of the most biting insults available in polite company.

And so we kowtow to—nay, embrace—a cultural maxim that just happens to be enormously convenient to corporate America. "Our culture has encouraged me to only feel valuable if I'm barely hanging on to my sanity,")"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So why have you posted no details on what it is you do?

Advertisement