Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The High Mileage Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Stupid damn Nissan Almera 2.2DI just died at 273K miles. Should have been able to do 400K anyway. Previous owner must have hockyed it something terrible cause I only put 199,000 miles on it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Took this a few months ago on my way to work...:)
    Its a 96 peugeot 406 Td on its original clutch..:eek:...:D

I know of a 98 passat 1.9 tdi with 360,000 mls and is going strong.
    All i can say "They don't make'em like they us used to"...:rolleyes:

406Mileage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Bigus wrote: »
    is this high enough for you ,? 232000 miles or 373000km

I actually drove this and it was excellent at 232k miles !

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110125/bc_olsen_prius_reliability_110125/20110125?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
    The most boring 232k miles ever no doubt :P

Both my cars have low mileage for the years, the 95 Civic had 102k miles on it when I bought it (now has 117k miles) and the 98 Civic had 112k kilometres (now 130k!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

no i didn't put the miles on it , i just had the privilege of driving it after the miles were put on it by somebody else.

Have you ever driven one to qualify your boring remarks ???

no i didn't put the miles on it , i just had the privilege of driving it after the miles were put on it by somebody else.

Have you ever driven one to qualify your boring remarks ???

A Prius is hardly exciting to drive now...

• Advertisement

A Prius is hardly exciting to drive now...

So you haven't driven one so.....

I never said they were exciting but they are certainly not boring.

Have you driven one ?

So you haven't driven one so.....

I never said they were exciting but they are certainly not boring.

Have you driven one ?

Nope, and I hope I never do to be honest. It's a boring, ugly car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

My 2006 Pissat is on 126K miles or 201000KM

All original according to the service records

Nope, and I hope I never do to be honest. It's a boring, ugly car.

It's always amazing the way people who never drove a Prius berate them and yet the one's who drive them see the point straight away.

At least we all know now for the record that you haven't driven one yet, so feel free to make UNqualified comments.

It's always amazing the way people who never drove a Prius berate them and yet the one's who drive them see the point straight away.

At least we all know now for the record that you haven't driven one yet, so feel free to make UNqualified comments.

It resembles a slug, it goes like one too with 98bhp/110 with the electric motor...boring and ugly, I stand by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Whilst I would have no problem buying a high mileage car, I'd still strive to buy as low miles as possible. Personally I like to start around 60k miles or more. Saving a couple of % off the cost by going with 30k miles more makes little sense, 30k miles is 4 years of driving for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Then again buy a high mileage car cheap put lots of miles on and sell it after.

You don't loose too much as you saved at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My Freelander 2.0td has 190k miles and i had a e300td with 260k miles, ran beautify and i would have put another couple of 100k on it if it hadn't be for ill placed bump in the road:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My Xantia HDi, year 2000, has 196k of which I put 126k on it. One owner car sat in a Nissan garage. I took it in after my 2.0 16v snapped its timing belt and its been the best car, and Xantia (I've had three) that I've ever owned.

Original clutch, only changed rear fuel lift pump in 2007 (known problem), the usual timing belts and tensioners etc when due and a camwheel last summer. Its pulled trailers up and down the country, commuted at lightspeed to Dublin on backroads and motorways and started daily during THE WORST winter in recent record (although it wasn't happy) and its acted as a 4x4 on roads you wouldn't put a car. And its still very presentable when it gets a wash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Having driven a 2006 and 2010 prius , the lexus rx400h and rx450h I feel somewhat qualified to say - dont buy a toyota hybrid.

steering with 0 feeling , almost no driver response in any way, sluggish acceleration, enough computer systems to insure you have absolutely 0 fun especially going round corners, ugly cars , ugly interiors, terrible satnav.

You could literally fall asleep at the wheel those cars are so boring. If any other hybrids drive like that then jesus I pity the future of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tagoraman

Hi,
    what about this high mileage for 09 car?
    I have got 09 Opel Insignia with 223193 km on it.
    Going Holland and Germany in it next week.
    I hope it makes it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Know a fella that had a 2001 tdi golf with 470000 miles before he sold it, sumps were his only problem, he now owns a 07 golf tdi with 390000kms on it and no major problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Having driven a 2006 and 2010 prius , the lexus rx400h and rx450h I feel somewhat qualified to say - dont buy a toyota hybrid.

steering with 0 feeling , almost no driver response in any way, sluggish acceleration, enough computer systems to insure you have absolutely 0 fun especially going round corners, ugly cars , ugly interiors, terrible satnav.

You could literally fall asleep at the wheel those cars are so boring. If any other hybrids drive like that then jesus I pity the future of cars.

But you're missing the point. Fluid steering and responsive handling are not the point of the Prius. It's designed as a comfortable and economical reliable car and it does that job well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My current daily driver (05 Almera) has just passed 200k km last week. I know it's not much, but I bought it when it was two years old with 17km on the clock. It's serviced at home every 15km and has just ever needed fluids, filters and pads. There was a blown heater motor resistor pack and I just changed the original shocks two months ago. The car does get quite a death, setting up forestry rally stages and night nav's. It was also pressed into service for a classic rally as the other car wasn't ready!

There was an '96' Micra that the mother had when we were all in collage. That car got quite a hard life, with three learning to drive in the car, and some "enthusiastic" driving from us (we managed to bend the anti-roll bar once). We got rid of it at 160k miles for some strange reason. That motor never let us down....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

00 Toyota Yaris 1.0 petrol - 172,000 miles!
    original engine, clutch, gearbox etc...
    serviced every 8,000 miles from 50,000 miles 6 years ago

00 1.9 TDI Octavia, previously a taxi- 220/30,000 miles
    never maitained, is only ever looked at when the lights in the dash come on :P
    still on original clutch, g.box n engine of course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

1CS8Qbo.jpg

94 Hilux, as rough as the top gear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

^Nice, i've 494000km/306957miles on the Corona now, should be getting half a mill in the next month or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

UUXf2k6.jpg?1

2010 Avensis we had in last week nearing high mileage. Has not had any issues apart from being quite hard on brake pads and discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

An Ri rua wrote: »
    My Xantia HDi, year 2000, has 196k of which I put 126k on it. One owner car sat in a Nissan garage. I took it in after my 2.0 16v snapped its timing belt and its been the best car, and Xantia (I've had three) that I've ever owned.

Original clutch, only changed rear fuel lift pump in 2007 (known problem), the usual timing belts and tensioners etc when due and a camwheel last summer. Its pulled trailers up and down the country, commuted at lightspeed to Dublin on backroads and motorways and started daily during THE WORST winter in recent record (although it wasn't happy) and its acted as a 4x4 on roads you wouldn't put a car. And its still very presentable when it gets a wash!!

215k now, about to retire her due to expense of tie rods, rear brake pipes, etc etc. More than the poor girl is worth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

griffin100 wrote: »
    Volvo s60 d5 with 196k miles. Outside of consumables and feckin rear suspension parts no big problems - its currently having rear shocks, drop links and anti roll bar bushes fitted - feckin sh1te roads. Never need to top up oil. Don't give it any special treatment, every 10k change oil and filter and get a local mechanic to give it a once over.

To give an update on this post which I made 3 years ago, the car hit 300,000 miles this week and passed NCT retest yesterday - just had to sort out a brake imbalance to get it though. In the 100,000 miles / 3 years since I posted the only non consumable part I've had to replace was an intercooler hose that split. Even the suspension has had no work done on it. I did have to change the original battery a while ago though but I reckon it had done it's time.

I promised myself an XJ diesel for my 40th birthday if I could keep the Volvo going until then, I was 40 over a year ago and the feckin thing still hasn't died. I can't justify getting a new car when it keeps going and is as comfortable as ever. I have to decide now if it's worth changing the timing belt again, having already changed it at 100k and 200k miles. Probably will cost more than the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To give an update on this post which I made 3 years ago, the car hit 300,000 miles this week and passed NCT retest yesterday - just had to sort out a brake imbalance to get it though. In the 100,000 miles / 3 years since I posted the only non consumable part I've had to replace was an intercooler hose that split. Even the suspension has had no work done on it. I did have to change the original battery a while ago though but I reckon it had done it's time.

I promised myself an XJ diesel for my 40th birthday if I could keep the Volvo going until then, I was 40 over a year ago and the feckin thing still hasn't died. I can't justify getting a new car when it keeps going and is as comfortable as ever. I have to decide now if it's worth changing the timing belt again, having already changed it at 100k and 200k miles. Probably will cost more than the car is worth.

The belt intervals are 10 years or 100k iirc, if it's spec'd to that, there's probably a pretty broad distribution above it, belt failures tend to be pretty random. You could gamble and run on with this one, you may only get 5k but you could run it on for much longer. The question really is, do you see yourself keeping it for another 100k? If so, get the belt done, if you're only thinking another 20k or 30k, then I'd take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Bought a B8 A4 out of Belfast about 6 months ago at 75,000 miles, one previous owner with full Audi service history and all clear on hpi check.

Now at 85,000 miles and already spent €3,500 to keep it drivable.

Low mileage means nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on this today. My Mazda 6 has 140k miles on it. I'd love to just keep her going, see how far it can go.

What modern cars do think could make it to 500,000 miles assuming you took care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Get the belts done, and then re-map it! Have some fun, save the money for a classic car for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Bought a B8 A4 out of Belfast about 6 months ago at 75,000 miles, one previous owner with full Audi service history and all clear on hpi check.

Now at 85,000 miles and already spent €3,500 to keep it drivable.

Low mileage means nothing really.

next guy gets your car and will said ive done 150,000 miles without issue don't know why so many complain the have issues with much smaller miles they just must not be looking after it

Advertisement