Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scorned girlfriend threatens to kill boyfriend - here's how it's reported

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭

So a cheating boyfriend in the US was invited over to his girlfriend's place under false pretences (to do 'something kinky', hence he agreed to be tied up) and was beaten, knifed, hit with the butt of a shotgun and was told he would be 'gutted like a deer'. Here's how it has been reported, by a guy surprisingly:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/06/girlfriend_kidnap_handcuffs.php

It was every man's fantasy: His girlfriend called and wanted to have kinky sex. She slipped the handcuffs on him, but before it was over, she had allegedly cut him with a knife, hit him with the barrel of a shotgun, punched him, and dripped hot candle wax on him (well, that last part might not be so bad -- if you're Bernie Ecclestone).

The Central Valley suspect, 33-year old Sabrina Renee Robinson, believed he was cheating on her. She ended up behind bars, where she remained today, says Erica Stuart, spokeswoman for the Fresno-adjacent Madera County Sheriff's Department.

The interesting thing is ...

... he was cheating on her, Stuart says.

The 42-year-old victim, who was not identified because he is, well, the victim, had two girlfriends, and the suspect only recently found out, she told the Weekly.

Now, we know all you females out there are muttering to yourselves, Damn snappy, girlfriend -- I would have done the same thing.

You psycho bitches. (We kid). Please consider the following: Robison is being held without bail today and faces possible charges of "making terrorist threats, 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment, corporal injury," according to a sheriff's statement.

She also had a warrant out of San Luis Obispo County that was based on a contributing to the delinquency of a minor conviction, Stuart said. She apparently failed to start her community service on that one.

The ordeal for Romeo started on the night of June 15, when Robison allegedly called promising some freakiness, Stuart said. He picked her up in the Fresno area and brought her back to his place on John Albert Drive in Madera, California.

They talked for hours, Stuart said, and eventually she got him in cuffs (leg restraints were also seized), Stuart said. That's when the alleged torture over the other woman began, and it was ongoing until the wee hours of the next morning.

At 3 a.m. said other woman got a call from the suspect, Stuart said. The other lady figured something was off because she could hear her co-boyfriend yelling for help. She called authorities, but they couldn't figure out where the duo was at first.

The ended up at his home at 4 a.m., Stuart said, and Robinson was arrested without incident.

Although he suffered some cuts, bruises and hot wax stains, the man refused medical treatment, she said.

"The bottom line is she was pretty upset when she found out about the other girlfriend," Stuart told us. "She felt scorned."

And he felt scorched, apparently.

And guys, as if Seinfeld didn't already teach you this, beware of chicks with handcuffs.[/B

The Daily Mail also has a line about how he escaped and was found 'cowering' in the bushes outside. The two most 'liked' comments on the piece above are as follows:

'man whore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!!!!!!!!!!!! '

'Angelica [Moderator] 1 day ago
    Let this be a lesson to all cheaters. ; )'

Again, this is typical of the idea that torture and/or mutiliation of a man is still something to be made light. I left a comment that asked 'I wonder would the writer take the some light approach to this story if the genders were reversed?' but it really is unfortunate to see.

A lot of women's magazines still have no issue posting disgusting stories from betrayed women that mutilated their ex-partners genitals, while let's not forget that John Wayne Bobbit went on Oprah two years ago with ex-wife that cut off his penis and apologised for how he treated her during their marraige. Lorena had appeared to cheers on an appearence on the show in the mid 1990s.

Will this double standard ever go away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Fúck everything about this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's often been said, "try not to reason with stupidity, they'd beat you down with experience."

My sympathies to that bloke. Yer one was a bleeding nutcase.

Overall in regards to that article, it looks like an American Blog as oppsoed to a newspaper report that it's published on? I wouldn't pay any attention to the guy that wrote it, he's looking to be a shock/humour journalist and is seeking attention with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Of course it won't. Men understand violence and only violence, apparently. If a woman feels scorned / hurt / betrayed, it is perfectly alright for her to violently and dangerously attack a man, and it's fine because he's a man.

A more down-to-Earth example would be soap operas, where the female characters will frequently slap or hit a male character who has upset / betrayed / embarrassed her, and we are supposed to nod and think "yes, he deserved that". And yet in the very rare occasions they show a man hitting or slapping a woman he is portrayed as a monster, who always inevitably gets his comeuppance (usually by being punched or beaten as revenge later on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What a b!tch.

If the roles where reversed the man would be portrayed as the devil himself.

Its a double standard, and n unfair one which will not go away unless men are prepared to stand up and fight back at the blatant mistreatment, unfair portrayals, by terminally insecure women, those who revel in victim-hood to the degree that women in cases such as this are portrayed as the victim, who believe that their sex can do no, or very little wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Idiotic reporting of the incident, but reasonable people will know that the poor guy involved went through a horrific ordeal.

Let this be a lesson to guys who like to engage in kinky sex - wear a wristband with a piece of wire inside and learn how to pick a lock. It is always good to have a means of escape if things go south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Any act by a "scorned" woman is viewed as hilarious and justified, whether it's vandalising his car, destroying his clothes, etc. right up to rape or mutilation. Saturday Night Live did a "comic" sketch about Elin attacking Tiger with a golf club (they didn't do the same with Chris Brown...) There is something disturbing about the glee reporters take with cheated-woman stories.

After the Jacqui smith thin, a friend said "To say she's angry with her husband is an understatement. Jacqui was not there when these films were watched. She's furious and mortified." and she said “He’s sleeping on the sofa”. There just seemed an expectation that he deserved to be punished and that it was demanded that she attack him in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

silly post removed, plus a post that quoted it (only because it was a reply to a deleted post). This isn't a banter thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The poor reporting should be no surprise, given the source. I don't think people should feel sorry for this bloke though - I'd be of the opinion that he deserved what he got.
    If a woman cheated and were treated by her other half as this man was, then no doubt she would be portrayed as the victim, and her cheating would be dubbed "understandable".
    But this story, taken on its own, does not seem unreasonable to me...

You think that, regardless of the gender of the partners, you think being beaten and tortured is a reasonable response to infidelity?

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ficheall wrote: »
    The poor reporting should be no surprise, given the source. I don't think people should feel sorry for this bloke though - I'd be of the opinion that he deserved what he got.
    If a woman cheated and were treated by her other half as this man was, then no doubt she would be portrayed as the victim, and her cheating would be dubbed "understandable".
    But this story, taken on its own, does not seem unreasonable to me...

Deserved what he got? He did in his hole.

I hope he sues her for very penny she has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

No, he was psychologically and physically tortured.

Sounds like a night in with my ex :rolleyes:

You think that, regardless of the gender of the partners, you think being beaten and tortured is a reasonable response to infidelity?

Madness.

You think it's okay to be unfaithful to one's partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You think it's okay to be tied up, held against your will, assaulted, cut and tortured?

Feck right off.

I don't recall suggesting that I did, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

What that woman did is nowhere close to a reasonable response to the man's cheating.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Interesting story....

First off I don't agree with the violence, but I can understand her need for revenge/release of anger towards him/closure etc.

I was in a similar position myself last year, where my bf of a year had another gf of about 18 months. When I found out I was devasted and I went through the mental anger of wanting to torture him within an inch of his life. However, I do have restraint and morals (luckily for him ;))

I did however make sure he knew how angry/upset/betrayed/used/let down I felt. He arrived over to my house one evening to find both his gf's there and there was plenty of shouting from us as we all got the experience out of our systems.

What struck me about my experience was that he was genuinely scared that we would physically assault him - which was madness, as neither of us were of a violent nature.

But this story and the reactions of some of the posters now makes me think the men who do wrong almost expect their scorned women to react in a physically violent way.

I don't recall suggesting that I did, but I could be wrong.

You didn't, no - but what do you think is a reasonable "response" to infidelity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Cheating = immoral, not nice, not socially acceptable

Imprisonment and torture = illegal

Not defending cheating but there is a huge gulf between the two above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

But this story and the reactions of some of the posters now makes me think the men who do wrong almost expect their scorned women to react in a physically violent way.

That's because the double standard we're addressing is that society has taught women that's perfectly fine to assault their partner. If anything, the women is sometimes seen as weak for not reacting in a violent way and the man is weak for taking offence to be assaulted when he is in the wrong. Personally, if my gf punched me in the face then I would dump her on the spot, yet a lot of men and women would think that that would be an overreaction on my behalf, yet not if the roles were reversed and I hit her.

It's not surprising that men expect women to react in a physically violent way because it's tolerated, encouraged and in some cases, worthy of satire/comedic potential.

That's because the double standard we're addressing is that society has taught women that's perfectly fine to assault their partner. If anything, the women is sometimes seen as weak for not reacting in a violent way and the man is weak for taking offence to be assaulted when he is in the wrong. Personally, if my gf punched me in the face then I would dump her on the spot.

It's not surprising that men expect women to react in a physically violent way because it's tolerated, encouraged and in some cases, worthy of satire/comedic potential.

But I didn't think it was perfectly fine to assault my ex despite him doing the exact same thing to me, but you're saying that by the acceptance of both sexes of this very strange social convention I would be well within my rights to do so!

It's all a bit mad to me!

Mind you it would help greatly if the human race would stop being complete a$$holes towards each other :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

You didn't, no - but what do you think is a reasonable "response" to infidelity?

I'd probably roar at him and tell him to get out.

What I wouldn't do is slap him and I certainly wouldn't be a vile, devious thing tricking him into handcuffs in order to abuse him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Mind you it would help greatly if the human race would stop being complete a$$holes towards each other :rolleyes:

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

The part about the candle wax and Bernie Ecclestone - was it not Max Moseley that that story broke about?

I'm sure my attitude will change when I've "grown up" and possibly cheated on some lass, maybe not just an "accidental" one-night stand but a long-running thing, and feel the need to console myself that it's not really that big a deal, and sure everyone's doing it - but I'm not prepared to condone it yet. At the moment I think I'd feel more hard done by if someone I were madly in love with were cheating on me, than if they physically abused me in retaliation for cheating on them.

I'm sure my attitude will change when I've "grown up" and possibly cheated on some lass, maybe not just an "accidental" one-night stand but a long-running thing, and feel the need to console myself that it's not really that big a deal, and sure everyone's doing it - but I'm not prepared to condone it yet. At the moment I think I'd feel more hard done by if someone I were madly in love with were cheating on me, than if they physically abused me in retaliation for cheating on them.

There is a logic to this to be fair - bruises and cuts tend to heal, the aftermath of emotional abuse often doesn't disappear and will haunt a person who has been treated badly by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There is a logic to this to be fair - bruises and cuts tend to heal, the aftermath of emotional abuse often doesn't disappear and will haunt a person who has been treated badly by someone.

Eh i think being tied up, tortured and threatened with being killed leaves emotional scars too.

@Ficheall

If your GF was caught cheating on you would you give her a kicking? After all she would deserve it apparently.

A few angry slaps from the woman scorned in the heat of the moment i can understand, but the premeditated act of subduing and torture? That's a warped mind at work.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Eh i think being tied up, tortured and threatened with being killed leaves emotional scars too.

@Ficheall

If your GF was caught cheating on you would you give her a kicking? After all she would deserve it apparently.

A few angry slaps from the woman scorned in the heat of the moment i can understand, but the premeditated act of subduing and torture? That's a warped mind at work.

I said cuts & bruises - I didn't mention extreme torture or abuse.

Also, there are plenty guys out there who do give their gf's a kicking over the most mundane and stupid things. And it works both ways, there are plenty of guys who are subject to abuse by their partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Also, there are plenty guys out there who do give their gf's a kicking over the most mundane and stupid things. QUOTE]

I dont believe people should get kickings over mundane things....

D1stant wrote: »
    Also, there are plenty guys out there who do give their gf's a kicking over the most mundane and stupid things. QUOTE]

I dont believe people should get kickings over mundane things....

Neither do I, but unfortunately it happens.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    @Ficheall

Nope. It's not in my nature. I'm more the 'curl into a ball and not talk to anyone' type. All I'm saying is that I could understand why the woman in the story might have reacted the way she did, or at least, insofar as I can understand how the guy in the story was such a complete prick.

Advertisement