Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capcoms (Rumoured) System to combat used games sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Capcom can go and **** themselves as far as i am concerned

I am going to make sure i have there full collection of games and all as pirates Backups

Gits they wouldnt localize Miles Edgeworth and now this

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Keith186 wrote: »
    All shops selling second hand games should refuse to sell this tripe, its the equivalent of suicide for them if they let this become the norm.
    GameStop(/EBgames)/HMV don't accept this second hand now, which is what they want: People not [being able to] trading in games, to cut down on them. But it's a stupid way of doing it.

My response (on another site):, but I guess the game shops' response of not accepting 2nd hand ones kinda make it moot
    It could also increase used game sales, or at least people trading into a shop (irregardless of whether someone else buys it). Some people may want to start their own game fresh, can't do so, get bored and trade it in.

Sure, you can replay missions for better scores, but that doesn't keep you going forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really want to see sales on this game.

I bet gamestops are warning people about bot being able to trade it in. Something like warning with pc games and it's requirments.

That was not even good re game, with such drm in it I can't see alot of gamers go for it. Thought 3ds people are very hungry for some atleast above average quality games. I don't blame them... 3 months out and only one decent game to play - zelda. If you don't give two shots about zelda, like me, then there is still nothing to play on it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've found myself buying a new title second hand, and then ultimately buying the sequel at full price. If I didn't get the second hand one, I wouldn't buy the sequel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

On cartridge saves? WTF, it's 1992 all over again.

(also, d1ck move by capcom)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This is one of those dodgy boardroom decisions taken by a shower of dildos who've next to no experience with gaming and its ilk. It'll be quietly rescinded
    before it can have any consequence. More worryingly, this is the second dodgy attempt at new DRM by Capcom this year, first of course being the stunt they tried pulling with SSFIV:AE, and that went out the window really sharply. What kinda picture this paints of Capcom's fortunes is all the more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I could never figure out how to delete the data file in Blast Corps on the N64. Anyway, if you own the game you should always be able to restart your file, even in a "high score" game like this. If it becomes even more widespread, in different kinds of games, it'll be a disaster. There are so many reasons why a person would want to restart their own copy of a game:

Speed runs/Challenge runs etc.
    Multiple Endings
    Want to play as a different class/character
    Made bad decisions and want a do-over
    Played badly and can't progress (underlevelled, missed too many health upgrades)
    Chose an unsuitable difficulty level at the start
    Missed some content and want to try again for 100%
    Bugs/glitches/corrupted file preventing progress
    New Game Plus
    The fun of replaying a game from scratch
    etc.

It would like paying full price for a dvd that will only play once, or only plays selected highlights instead of the full movie after you've seen it once. Surely it will only encourage people who want to replay the game to pirate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€39.99 in HMV today, picked it up, looked at the box and put it back down.

Would have honestly bought it if it hadn't been for this DRM bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110627/17311614875/capcoms-resident-evil-drm-is-evil-you-get-to-play-game-once-thats-it.shtml
    Capcom's Resident Evil DRM Is Evil: You Get To Play The Game Once And That's It
    from the so,-it's-a-railshooter? dept

DRM use by game manufacturers is old news. Every so often, a software company thinks it's got something "nigh invulnerable" (+30 Geek points to whoever recognizes that reference), only to find its latest piece of copy protection hacked and discarded along the virtual superhighway faster than you can say "stoptreatingyourcustomerslikethieves." Lately though, the game companies seem nearly as distraught by used game sales, which bypass their pocketbooks completely. Consequently, they've shifted their efforts towards making second-hand users feel like the last kid in line for family hand-me-downs by giving them the tattered remnants of the latest game in exchange for their second-hand money.

Capcom, however, has trumped everyone with its latest DRM, scheduled to debut on the Nintendo's 3DS. "Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D," along with being a mouthful-and-a-half to say, will feature this crippling new "feature":

You only get one save file.

And...

It can never be overwritten.

In other words, if you decide you'd like to start your game over and replay the whole zombie shooting match from the get-go, too bad. You only get one shot. How's that for sticking it to the second-hand market? If you, being the good non-pirating customer that you are, go and plunk down your $40 for this game, you would kind of expect to do things that you could do with all the other games you've spent money on. Like have multiple save files. Or a chance to start over.

Instead, Capcom is going to give you a piece of software with all the save features of the original Nintendo and possibly even less. Let's say you happen to have friends/family members who'd like to play the game. (I know: gamersz. But some of them still socialize/co-habitate.) Too bad. Those free-loading bastards you used to call friends and family will just have to open up their wallets and buy their own damn copy if they want to experience the game for themselves, rather than "enjoy" it vicariously through your save file.

You're twice as screwed if you decide to save a few bucks and pick this up at Upsell Boutique or GameReserveYourCopy or wherever. You're starting wherever the previously unimpressed gamer left off. And if they finished the game, well... then I guess you get to watch the end credits and try to determine which of the scrolling names deserves the full blast of your rage.

And Capcom's already has its "out" for when the angry gamers come calling. "Why, we printed it right there in the manual! That's hardly hidden and/or underhanded!" The manual? You mean that worthless little booklet that had no importance until I tried to resell RE:TM3D down at the local GameUpsellBoutique? That thing? Who even reads those? More importantly, why is the clerk at the trade-in counter giving me a pro-rated payout based on completion percentage? What the hell?

Oh, Capcom. You've built yourself a very slippery slope with this move. You care so much about the potential loss of income from secondhand sales that you've completely removed yourselves from reality. I have a feeling there's some nasty backlash in your future, and I fully expect to enjoy every second of it.

All I can say is Don't Buy It. It's one title, and the most ridiculous piece of DRM I've seen in a long time. Spore comes close, and Assassin's Creed much less so. If the title is a success I guarantee you they will try this piece of **** again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Another example of the developers punishing the consumer because they're loosing out on secondhand sales. I was talking to a friend about this and it was shocking how much he tried to justify this type of carryon since he and another guy I know both got it. His reasoning was basically "Well I don't really want to do stuff like reset my highscores or start again, and I never sell my Resident Evil games." To those of you who're using a similar train of thought, I say this to you: Just because view certain aspects of the game that have been restricted to you as worthless, it doesn't make it any less of a kick in the balls to those players out there who do want to do a speedrun, lend the game to a friend or simply just start over.

And the worrying part is, trends like this are only set to continue if the consumers allow it to. A lot of people are going to buy this game, take the 'put up or shup up' approach to developers imposing restrictive DRM measures on their fanbases and continue doing so. I made a similar comparison with how cancerous practices like this aren't doing creativity or risk-taking in the video game industry any favours in a post here about Call of Duty's new 'Elite' premium model that offers services that have been available nearly a decade now freely in other video games now at a monthly price to the average consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I do speedruns.

I do do-overs.

I still don't "get" what all the fuss is about? :confused:

You can still start the game from level 1, you just don't "unlock" anything, right?
    Have you all turned into such achievement whores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I do speedruns.

I do do-overs.

You can still start the game from level 1, you just don't "unlock" anything, right?
    If there's only one save file then no, you can't delete the previous save which means no speed runs, no do overs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I do speedruns.

I do do-overs.

Lol do do :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If there's only one save file then no, you can't delete the previous save which means no speed runs, no do overs

How does that mean any thing like that?

"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," said the company. "The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users."

If you've unlocked something it will stay unlocked but you can still attempt to do speed runs and beat high scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Varik wrote: »
    How does that mean any thing like that?

"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," said the company. "The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users."

If you've unlocked something it will stay unlocked but you can still attempt to do speed runs and beat high scores.

If you start a game again with maxed out specs, then it is not a speed run. I want to see how long it takes to get through the game from scratch, for my experience of the game and not because my character is unkillable in the first several levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Another incentive given to exploit the device. Every single restriction is incentive, especially draconian bollox such as this. Nintendo/Capcom's restrictions...become some smart Chinese companies selling features. The 3DS is a target for hacking regardless, but this kind of thickery just makes people want to hack it out of principle, and those are the folks that you need to be careful of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

EnterNow wrote: »
    Another incentive given to exploit the device. Every single restriction is incentive, especially draconian bollox such as this. Nintendo/Capcom's restrictions...become some smart Chinese companies selling features. The 3DS is a target for hacking regardless, but this kind of thickery just makes people want to hack it out of principle, and those are the folks that you need to be careful of.
    It seems it already has been hacked to circumvent the save game issue (that didn't take long :D). I don't think the hardware to do it is legal over here but by using a card reader to corrupt the save file you can force the game to rewrite over the saved data.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha ha ha, maybe Gamestop etc will order one NDSreader for every branch :P. Suck it Capcom :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's great, and shows capcom up as being liars. They did have code in there to delete save games after all, and took it out at the 11th hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still think you're all overreacting, TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

think it's more the principality of the situation and the implications of future games if we don't kick up a fuss. Plus Capcom going after us when they should be attacking Gamestop is a really shítty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I really want to see sales on this game.

I bet gamestops are warning people about bot being able to trade it in. Something like warning with pc games and it's requirments.

That was not even good re game, with such drm in it I can't see alot of gamers go for it. Thought 3ds people are very hungry for some atleast above average quality games. I don't blame them... 3 months out and only one decent game to play - zelda. If you don't give two shots about zelda, like me, then there is still nothing to play on it.

In Blanchardstown Gamestop earlier and the manager didn't know anything about this,seems their Head Office failed to let them know,there are no warnings instore or online about this,they also have set the trade in value at a less than generous €17,as the game is on sale there for €44.99.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    think it's more the principality of the situation and the implications of future games

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Overreacting because save games can't be deleted in order to kill off the 2nd hand game market? O...k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

EnterNow wrote: »
    Overreacting because save games can't be deleted in order to kill off the 2nd hand game market? O...k

O.K. K.O

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will just stop you here m8. Are you freaking serious?!

Overheal wrote: »

You could have picked Andorra or Monaco as a real Principality but you went with gaint robots, i approve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

But theyll keep giving gamestop and shops exclusive pre order deals then complain about second hand games are hurting them :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There, it's OFFICIAL Now.

Lads and ladies; don't buy games anymore because it's more damaging than piracy.

Thanks a million, I've a clear conscience now and Eircom you can NOW take a running jump, blocking my U-Torrent.

Yippee, a great day for us all. :)

Advertisement