Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

robindch wrote: »
    Always liked that definition of a snowflake as being somebody who needs to take a gun to buy a sandwich.
    That's not a snowflake, Robin ... that's a Texan !!!:)

... which is about as far away from a snowflake ... as it's possible to get !!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh look, we're back to "i kno wot u r but wot am i" posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Oh look, we're back to "i kno wot u r but wot am i" posts.
    Nay ... me and me bud Robin, were discussing the definition of a democratic snowflake ... actually.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

J C wrote: »
    That's not a snowflake, Robin ... that's a Texan !!!:)

... which is about as far away from a snowflake ... as it's possible to get !!:pac:
    Actually, no, it's pretty close to being a snowflake. It's just that snowflakes are usually in denial about their snowflakiness, and the kind of person who thinks he needs to carry a gun to buy a sandwich is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Actually, no, it's pretty close to being a snowflake. It's just that snowflakes are usually in denial about their snowflakiness, and the kind of person who thinks he needs to carry a gun to buy a sandwich is no exception.

it depends where you live :pac: I see snowflakeness as related to individuals who behave like toddlers when something minor doesnt go their way.

maybe exception that proves the rule but not always a bad thing to bring a gun to a convenience store

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

silverharp wrote: »
    it depends where you live :pac: I see snowflakeness as related to individuals who behave like toddlers when something minor doesnt go their way.

maybe exception that proves the rule but not always a bad thing to bring a gun to a convenience store

I mean YEAH! If only everyone started packing heat we'd finally solve this mass shooting problem. That'd put me at ease.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

jooksavage wrote: »
    If only everyone started packing heat we'd finally solve this mass shooting problem.
    Well, in order to deal with the problem of lots of people carrying guns and some of them going berserk and killing people, the good state of Colorado is now allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons in classrooms - because as everybody knows, no teacher has ever gone berserk themselves.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40353408

The guy ends up shot multiple times, silverharp. That's actually not a good outcome.

And as for people behaving like toddlers, what's more toddler-like than responding with immediate violence when someone wants to take your toys?

Like I say, snowflakes, the lot of them!

I see snowflakeness as related to individuals who behave like toddlers when something minor doesnt go their way.
    You mean, like 45 when he was asked what he meant by referring to Obama as "sick and bad", but repeatedly refused to, and finally terminated the interview like the little man-child he is?

Poor little President Snowflake!

The guy ends up shot multiple times, silverharp. That's actually not a good outcome.

And as for people behaving like toddlers, what's more toddler-like than responding with immediate violence when someone wants to take your toys?

Like I say, snowflakes, the lot of them!

in fairness we don't know the other outcomes, better him shot than the risk of one of the innocent parties shot by the armed thief

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

You mean, like 45 when he was asked what he meant by referring to Obama as "sick and bad", but repeatedly refused to, and finally terminated the interview like the little man-child he is?

Poor little President Snowflake!

he is thin skinned at times but I wouldn't describe him as a snowflake , the term is normally referred to entitled young adults who don't appear to react well to reality or having their views challenged. Not sure if you can be a 70 year old snowflake?

he is thin skinned at times but I wouldn't describe him as a snowflake , the term is normally referred to entitled young adults who don't appear to react well to reality or having their views challenged. Not sure if you can be a 70 year old snowflake?
    Why ever not? He fits your description exactly except for the age, and it seems to me that the age would only be stipulated in order to avoid categorising Trump as a snowflake.

If you're going to build an age cut-off into your concept of "snowflake", then you're going to need another term for people who have never grown out of the snowflake phase, but are now so old that you can't consider them to be snowflakes any more. That term is going to be even more pejorative than "snowflake", since there is at least some excuse for immaturity in the young. And that term will apply to Trump, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

silverharp wrote:
    Is that like the way black people can't be racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Why ever not? He fits your description exactly except for the age, and it seems to me that the age would only be stipulated in order to avoid categorising Trump as a snowflake.

If you're going to build an age cut-off into your concept of "snowflake", then you're going to need another term for people who have never grown out of the snowflake phase, but are now so old that you can't consider them to be snowflakes any more. That term is going to be even more pejorative than "snowflake", since there is at least some excuse for immaturity in the young. And that term will apply to Trump, surely?

A term exists for Trump: Narcissistic Personality Disorder. However, his sensitivity is not as a result of being pampered (though he was that too), it's a result of an extremely fragile Ego that cannot bear any criticism or lack of admiration.

Im sure there are enough existing terms as there is a world history to draw on. the term snowflake without looking up urban dictionary seems to be attributable to certain entitled millennials tied into the social media age.

Well, he fits the definition you provided yourself and your expanded definition here is good with me too - save that you're adding an age restriction for no obvious reason.

Though, as Professor Moriarty accurately points out, it seems that from the medical perspective - and allowing that some medics, as one would expect, disagree - 45's extensive symptoms are consistent with Narcissistic Personality Disorder - or in the modern argot, Snowflakiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's a there term and only used to insult people they don't like. Can't have people pointing out that there are many on the right who suffer from the same lack of self awareness (heck they even elected one).

Im sure there are enough existing terms as there is a world history to draw on. the term snowflake without looking up urban dictionary seems to be attributable to certain entitled millennials tied into the social media age.
    A quick glance at urbandictionary.com suggests that none of the definitions offered, at least on page 1, specify age as a factor, and at least one offers no less than Trump, D. as an instance of a snowflake. So I think this ship may have sailed, silverharp. Possibly you move in circles where snowflake is only applied to young persons of a particular generation, but in English As She Is Spoke the term has already transcended those boundaries.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It's a there term and only used to insult people they don't like. Can't have people pointing out that there are many on the right who suffer from the same lack of self awareness (heck they even elected one).

well sure, I'd be embarrassed more than anything else as a parent if I saw my kids in college behaving like Snowflakes, I'd have felt like I must have raised them wrong.

English As She Is Spoke
    As Mark Twain apparently said, "Nobody can add to the absurdity of this book, nobody can imitate it successfully, nobody can hope to produce its fellow; it is perfect."

And there is a highly imperfect PDF here.

I'd forgotten about that book - many thanks for reminding me on this lovely June morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

well sure, I'd be embarrassed more than anything else as a parent if I saw my kids in college behaving like Snowflakes, I'd have felt like I must have raised them wrong.

But God forbid that someone points out that plenty of people on the right fit the negative parts of how mean that term. Have to keep scapegoating college students.

It is a ridiculous term given the number of snowflakes on the right that people simply pretend not to see

Well, he fits the definition you provided yourself and your expanded definition here is good with me too - save that you're adding an age restriction for no obvious reason.

Though, as Professor Moriarty accurately points out, it seems that from the medical perspective - and allowing that some medics, as one would expect, disagree - 45's extensive symptoms are consistent with Narcissistic Personality Disorder - or in the modern argot, Snowflakiness.

you will have to explain 45 to me, Im not aware of the reference. I'd be slow to claim that a particular individual has a serious personality disorder, its probably unprofessional for a professional to make such a claim without actually consulting with the "patient". he is the chaos president , that's what the people voted for and they seemed to prefer Trump's flaws to Hillary's ones.

Snowflakes=NPD , interesting, it reminds me that some have speculated that a lot of women that have BPD are attracted to feminism which seems to have gone down a rabbit hole of how people interact with each other so I get that the people concerned with this simply have difficulties interacting with people. The level of narcissistic behaviour with younger people seems to have gone up in recent years with the rise of social media so not sure if normal people's behaviour is degrading or individual that have personality disorders have more outlets.

But God forbid that someone points out that plenty of people on the right fit the negative parts of how mean that term. Have to keep scapegoating college students.

It is a ridiculous term given the number of snowflakes on the right that people simply pretend not to see

I looked up 'Snowflake' on the Urban Dictionary. This is the Top Definition:

Referring to someone, usually the Alt-Right, Yiannopoulos, And Nazi Sympathizers (A.K.A. ARYANS), whose immense white fragility causes a meltdown when confronted with the most minute deviation from orthodox White Supremacy. They often cry bloody murder when expected to give the most modest expression of basic human decency.

This is all a continuation of how Snowflake historically refers to people who are against the abolition of slavery.

I don't see it as a working class thing as they don't have the time for such indulgences. Its the colleges that are making the news and it is seen as important I guess as these are the future adults so it would be worrying if it was behaviour that continued after college.
    In US terms a Republican tends to favour law and order so they are less likely to break the law which was borne out by the newsworthy riots and bad behaviour over the last year. Combine with the hypersensitivity of leftist snowflakes and you end up with a lot of intolerable behaviour. Remember the student that was attacked for having dreadlocks because of muh cultural appropriation. Or "can I have some muscle over here" because of muh safe space. its a sh1t show but its kind of funny to watch on, its like a lab experiment gone out of control :D

you will have to explain 45 to me, Im not aware of the reference. I'd be slow to claim that a particular individual has a serious personality disorder, its probably unprofessional for a professional to make such a claim without actually consulting with the "patient". he is the chaos president , that's what the people voted for and they seemed to prefer Trump's flaws to Hillary's ones.

Snowflakes=NPD , interesting, it reminds me that some have speculated that a lot of women that have BPD are attracted to feminism which seems to have gone down a rabbit hole of how people interact with each other so I get that the people concerned with this simply have difficulties interacting with people. The level of narcissistic behaviour with younger people seems to have gone up in recent years with the rise of social media so not sure if normal people's behaviour is degrading or individual that have personality disorders have more outlets.

These psychologists and psychiatrists were so concerned that they wrote a letter to the NYT about Trump's mental wellbeing.

These are the defining criteria for NPD. See if you can identify any of them with Trump:

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    Exaggerating your achievements and talents
    Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
    Requiring constant admiration
    Having a sense of entitlement
    Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
    Taking advantage of others to get what you want
    Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    Being envious of others and believing others envy you
    Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

This is a problem I have with the whole "left and right" dichotomy.

The left are accused of being snowflakes and the response is not "no we are not snowflakes" rather the response is "well there are snowflakes on the right too".

So it's actually an admission that the "snowflake" criticism of the left is valid but we are expected to ignore it because the right engage in the same behavior?

Doesn't this simply guarantee that the conflict goes on forever with no resolution?

The Left: We need Safe Spaces
    The Right: Safe Spaces are a stupid idea. You are all pathetic snowflakes.
    Trump: I am blocking people I don't like on Twitter.
    The Left: Haha look at stupid Trump! He needs a safe space! What a snowflake, amirite?

The Left: Hate Speech is not Free Speech.
    The Right: I find this content over here to be hateful, shut it down.
    The Left: Haha! The stupid Right, I thought they were in favor of free speech but they want to shut down speech they see as hateful! Idiots, amirite?

It's one thing to point out hypocrisy. It's another thing entirely to think that when We do something then it's OK but when They do the things that We do then They are are a bunch of morons.

Both sides are encouraged to become hypocrites because they are encouraged to take up distinctive "sides" in the first place. You end up with people who feel forced into defending their side no matter what and also attacking the other side no matter what.

I would have thought that a "snowflake" is just someone who thinks they are somehow special, is easily offended and who can't handle any kind of criticism? There is plenty of that going around.

I would say that once you start reading this stuff online it doesn't take very long before you are starting to pick a side and then I wonder how long it takes before you are completely blinded by your bias.

How many of us reckon we have a pretty good sense of self-awareness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    Exaggerating your achievements and talents
    Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
    Requiring constant admiration
    Having a sense of entitlement
    Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
    Taking advantage of others to get what you want

Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    Being envious of others and believing others envy you
    Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

So basically the list of Job Requirements for President of the United States of America?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

you will have to explain 45 to me, Im not aware of the reference.

Trump is the 45th President

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    So basically the list of Job Requirements for President of the United States of America?

Nope. Crucial to being an acceptable POTUS would be to put country before self-aggrandisement. Most recent POTUS (POTUSI?) have done so.

As this is a thread about Trump, how many of the NPD criteria do you think Trump meets?

• Advertisement

I looked up 'Snowflake' on the Urban Dictionary. This is the Top Definition:

Referring to someone, usually the Alt-Right, Yiannopoulos, And Nazi Sympathizers (A.K.A. ARYANS), whose immense white fragility causes a meltdown when confronted with the most minute deviation from orthodox White Supremacy. They often cry bloody murder when expected to give the most modest expression of basic human decency.

This is all a continuation of how Snowflake historically refers to people who are against the abolition of slavery.

that's a bulls1t definition, anyone can submit a definition, its not the Oxford dictionary. so if you use the term snowflake you are a NAZI :rolleyes:

here for example Claire Fox in the UK who I don't believe is a Nazi leaning individual

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/generation-snowflake-how-we-train-our-kids-to-be-censorious-cry-babies/
    Generation Snowflake: how we train our kids to be censorious cry-babies

If today’s students believe that hearing a dissenting opinion can kill them, it’s because we taught them to think like that

Advertisement