Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The ever-fresh Malcom Gladwell on the dim prospects for the USA under DJT, and the dimmer-still prospects for DJT under DJT:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1XJq3DNxMzvWHDP2DqJb9h5/malcolm-gladwell-on-writing-the-new-america

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This bit really stood out to me:
    Were Trump a more dynamic, effective, charismatic, disciplined person, I would fear the former – that he might actually usurp the existing institutions. What I suspect – and this is the best case scenario – is he’s simply too lazy and ill-disciplined to have anything happen, so the tweets don’t really mean anything. You know they’re taking place at two in the morning. They’re the kind of half-baked thoughts that one has at two in the morning. I don’t think they represent any kind of clearly articulated ideology because he doesn’t have a clearly articulated ideology.
    I guess Tony Schwartz was on the money when he recounted Trump's fidgety behaviour when he was ghostwriting for him.

This bit really stood out to me:
    Yes, that's one of what I see as the two main possibilities - 1) that DJT gets down to business and upends things left, right and center in the manner in which he's been behaving for the last year, with the concomitant risk of long-term damage to US institutions and the possibility of major trade or military conflict.

Or else, he essentially forgets, perhaps with persuasion, that he's president and he devolves executive power to Pence and the GOP who then let him play out his Twitler/Zaphod Beeblebrox fantasy. The GOP will then be free to remove as much regulation as they can from anything related to the environment, health, science, voter engagement etc, while giving free rein to the corporations, who own the GOP, to do what they want to.

Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

A lot of Trump voters wanted him to be a hand grenade lobbed into Washington but instead they & the world will more likely instead get:- silver spooned scam artist learning the first rung of the political ropes ‘in the swamp’ reality tv.

A new hybrid genre of tv maybe? :pac:

If Gladwell is right- and I think he may be- the CIA depending on other priorities & preferences might release various info on the Donald. So impeachment proceedings against him may or will begin when they decide.

(Have Trump booted out, the impeachment being a warning to Pence to leave the CIA out of the buffoonery?)

Bet: Impeachment before Jan 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

130Kph wrote: »
    A lot of Trump voters wanted him to be a hand grenade lobbed into Washington but instead they & the world will more likely instead get:- silver spooned scam artist learning the first rung of the political ropes ‘in the swamp’ reality tv.

A new hybrid genre of tv maybe? :pac:

If Gladwell is right- and I think he may be- the CIA depending on other priorities & preferences might release various info on the Donald. So impeachment proceedings against him may or will begin when they decide.

(Have Trump booted out, the impeachment being a warning to Pence to leave the CIA out of the buffoonery?)

As Gladwell says, precedent shows that the American bully has only short term appeal. If the CIA have any dirt I wouldn't expect them to leak it until some of his current grassroots supporters get fed up with the clown act and are more willing to take it on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Twitler

:pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.
    I hope youze are all putting your money where your mouths are.
    Paddy Power will be glad to take it from you :p

DJT tweets a picture of him "writing (his) inaugural address" "three weeks ago".

Fun to see a) the photo seems to be doctored to make his skin more orange; or else, there really is pale skin around his eyes suggesting that he spends a lot of his time in a tanning booth. b) is that really his "thinking" expression? (he looks like he's having a hard time having a poo). But most of all, c) somebody should tell him that it's easier to write if he puts the pad fully flat on the table and looks at what he's writing.

406815.jpg

Good news: DJT has found somebody willing to perform, albeit at his inauguration ball
    Bad news: It's Michael Flatley.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/michael-flatley-to-appear-at-trump-s-inauguration-ball-1.2942969

News of this reaches Waterford:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/01/19/michael-flatley-dead-to-us-now-says-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

You need congress to impeach him right? I reckon it'll happen but not until 2019/20. Needs to be late enough for Pence to take over and have a good chance at coasting to re-election. That is how I think the GOP would play it.
    or else, there really is pale skin around his eyes suggesting that he spends a lot of his time in a tanning booth.

There definitely is. Its more noticeable even in other pictures of him.

• Advertisement

Qs wrote: »
    robindch wrote:
    or else, there really is pale skin around his eyes suggesting that he spends a lot of his time in a tanning booth.
    There definitely is. Its more noticeable even in other pictures of him.
    Funny, on balance, I'd always assumed that this was people just photoshopping him to make him look like an idiot. I hadn't realized that some people could be so vain as to make it so bleedin' obvious.

Or maybe he's a little like the Tyrannosaurus Rex - and his hands are so small that he just can't get bring the orange topcoat up as far as his eyes.

Will he be Prezzident for long enough for anybody to find out?

recedite wrote: »
    I hope youze are all putting your money where your mouths are. Paddy Power will be glad to take it from you :p
    PaddyPower has already released a range of DJT-themed bets:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/other-politics/us-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2657726

Enjoy!

The best bets are on this page :)
    On skin colour, "Paddy Power decision is final".

:)Happy Trumpday folks :)

********** USA USA USA ! **********

President Donald J. Trump, Inauguration Day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for the day that's in it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Where's Batman when you need him... ;)

16002813_10211855204399649_6386067915460584623_n.jpg?oh=0c24cb7f1bcbaf5999f25beffc4b487a&oe=590AF153

If I didn't know you better, I'd have said you were trolling the forum :)

No decent, upright, law-abiding citizen could honestly applaud the elevation to anything beyond municipal dog-catcher of a dumb, incompetent, vain, fat, corrupt, orange fraudster.

Still, the clown did manage to produce one fun tweet the other day - his approval ratings of 40%, already at an all-time low for an incoming president, are "rigged just like before".

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I'm amazed when atheists and sceptics are so happy to see a US president who is so anti-science and is willing to pander to the evangelicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What 'atheists and skeptics' would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Qs wrote: »
    I'm amazed when atheists and sceptics are so happy to see a US president who is so anti-science and is willing to pander to the evangelicals.

I remember seeing a video by The Friendly Atheist and he basically said that atheists shouldn't vote Republican but I would disagree with this assertion. There is no obvious atheist position on economics or foreign policy and plenty of voters would see these issues as more important when voting than various cultural tweaks that a Republican might do to humour evangelicals.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

..a dumb, incompetent, vain, fat, corrupt, orange fraudster.
    I don't care what colour he is. Enough of this racism. We have had "Americas first black president". Now its time for America's first orange one. Fair is fair.
    Roll on The Donald...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I don't care what colour he is. Enough of this racism. We have had "Americas first black president". Now its time for America's first orange one. Fair is fair.
    Roll on The Donald...

Yes indeed, one big step forward for the oompa loompah nation ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

robindch wrote:
    No decent, upright, law-abiding citizen could honestly applaud the elevation to anything beyond municipal dog-catcher of a dumb, incompetent, vain, fat, corrupt, orange fraudster.

Who's this you're Post is about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Lol, 'merica here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Strong words, Robin, for the millions of decent, upright, law-abiding American citizens ... who voted him into office.;)

Is this a case of everybody else being wrong ... except for 'our little Johnny' ... eh em Hilary ?
    ... a dumb, incompetent, vain, fat, corrupt, orange fraudster.
    ... you aren't the cool objective guy you normally are ... your feelings/emotions seems to be clouding your judgement of The Donald.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Lol, 'merica here you go:

In four years Idiocracy will be re-released as a documentary.

MrP

Are you suggesting that the 20th January be declared a National US Holiday ?

I hear that most federal workers in the greater DC area got the day off yesterday.:)

The Donald ... making America great (again) ... even if half the American's don't seem to want to be great ... again !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Serious question for you Trump fans. What measures will we use to know when he has Made America Great Again (TM)? Trump declared "the carnage is over" in his speech. So we'll start with that.

MAGA Metrics.
    1. Less/no carnage
    2. ???
    3. ???

What other measures would you include? Employment? Purchasing power? GDP? Graduation rates for minorities? Decline in divorce rate?

A related question is the timeline. Can we expect to achieve MAGA within six months? The end of his first term?

Serious question for you Trump fans. What measures will we use to know when he has Made America Great Again (TM)? Trump declared "the carnage is over" in his speech. So we'll start with that.

MAGA Metrics.
    1. Less/no carnage
    2. ???
    3. ???

What other measures would you include? Employment? Purchasing power? GDP? Graduation rates for minorities? Decline in divorce rate?

A related question is the timeline. Can we expect to achieve MAGA within six months? The end of his first term?
    US Presidential terms are 4 years ... and The Donald is looking good for two terms ... especially after that great Inauguration Day speech yesterday!!!:)
    ... and for those Republican non-fruitcakes who missed it, here is the 45th POTUS on his special day ...
    I predict that 'this American carnage stops right here and stops right now' will be a presidential soundbite on a par with 'the buck stops here' and 'ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh look, a non-answer, just regurgitated buzzwords and catchphrases. I suppose it's my own fault for expecting anything better from someone who thinks Satan has possessed anyone with at least a BSc in Biology.

Advertisement