Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who allow dogs to clean up dinner plates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

lol My dog cleans our plates after most meals:D give the plate a good wash and there grand, I'm still here after all these years :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

my dog's weird, she won't eat off plates..or dogbowls. She won't eat meaty dogfood at all. She will only eat chicken or meat that I've cooked for us and even then preferably when it's hand fed her and in small bitesized pieces :o seriously fussiest eater I've ever met. if I put kibbles in her bowl she may take one and run off with it and eat it and repeat the process over the space of several hours..but only if that's all she's got to eat. She's the only dog I know who will turn her nose up at uncooked meat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Although the mouth of a typical dog is full of bacteria, it's "species specific." So if a dog were to lick a person or plate, most of the germs wouldn't transfer. This means that you're more likely to get a serious illness from a person licking a plate than a dog. Once its properly washed afterwards its perfectly safe for a dog to lick your plate.

Kanoe wrote: »
    my dog's weird, she won't eat off plates..or dogbowls. She won't eat meaty dogfood at all. She will only eat chicken or meat that I've cooked for us and even then preferably when it's hand fed her and in small bitesized pieces :o seriously fussiest eater I've ever met. if I put kibbles in her bowl she may take one and run off with it and eat it and repeat the process over the space of several hours..but only if that's all she's got to eat. She's the only dog I know who will turn her nose up at uncooked meat too.

Mind if I ask the breed of dog

chihuahua :pac:

• Advertisement

k..I know that sounds like I've just spoiled the little runt (and that maybe possible) but I swear she developed it by herself, she's too clever and plays this emotional blackmail game with me and always manages to get her way. I mean I grew up with german shepherds and fed them beefhearts which they inhaled in seconds so I know what real dogs are like. I have even stopped feeding her for a day or two and she still doesn't go for the dog food stuff. Smart little bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't care if they pass the plate through through a kiln, melted it to its constituent atoms and reassembled into a plate again along with a gold certificate stating 100% free of dog saliva. It's still disgusting.

And I'm far from a clean freak.

Well then for your sake, I hope you never look up info on water treatment facilities

k..I know that sounds like I've just spoiled the little runt (and that maybe possible) but I swear she developed it by herself, she's too clever and plays this emotional blackmail game with me and always manages to get her way. I mean I grew up with german shepherds and fed them beefhearts which they inhaled in seconds so I know what real dogs are like. I have even stopped feeding her for a day or two and she still doesn't go for the dog food stuff. Smart little bitch

Ya but even as a man I prefer the toy breeds, My lil doggy is a King Charles just the best companion I have ever had in a dog.

deisedave wrote: »
    Ya but even as a man I prefer the toy breeds, My lil doggy is a King Charles just the best companion I have ever had in a dog.
    don't get me wrong, there'll always be a special place in my heart for the big loyal companions that shepherds are but credit where it's due, this little one never fails to make me laugh, she's impossibly funny and she's a bit of a sweetheart too.

..and back to plate licking :pac:

don't get me wrong, there'll always be a special place in my heart for the big loyal companions that shepherds are but credit where it's due, this little one never fails to make me laugh, she's impossibly funny and she's a bit of a sweetheart too.

..and back to plate licking :pac:

Ya I love the toy dogs, My Jack Russell is expecting a litter any day now, I cant wait. I also love Chihua's my friend has a short haired one and its adorable.

• Advertisement

you're gonna have your hands full :P enjoy the puppies (hope they all have good homes to go to!)

you're gonna have your hands full :P enjoy the puppies (hope they all have good homes to go to!)

I got three homes sorted out so far lol I don't know how many puppies they normally have just praying its not a lot or I will have to keep any puppies that cant be homed :D Thats all I need more doggies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

ITguy2 wrote: »
    Now before I begin, I am really close to these people, but to be honest as of now I do not want to eat meals in their home anymore. Why? After dinner, somebody put their plate on the floor to allow the dog to lick up some of the remaining bits. This was a plate that used by the people to serve dinner etc.

Am I alone in fearing eating at this house again, given that this is probably done with quiet a few plates. I am not that fussy when it comes to actually eating, but I just find the thought of eating off of a plate that a dog has licked – a dog that had probably been cleaning it’s rear end with it’s mouth – to be ultimately manky, and puts me off eating at this place again.

Am I overreacting, or do I have a point here?

There is a thing called a sink used to wash plate's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The OP should get a swab of his and his family's mouths and then that of an average dog, check the bacteria they both contain.
    I think he will then spend the rest of his life carrying around his own plates, cups and cutlery and never eating off a used plate again. :D

My dogs lick my face and my plates (only after I have removed any leftovers), I'm middle aged and have had dogs doing this since I was a young child and have never gotten sick from it, in fact I don't get sick at all and have a fantastic immune system. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Raw meat doesn't lick its own poo.

I'm with you OP!

It may have before it ended up on a plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I can't believe anybody has a problem with this. Its not like I'm giving you the dogs bowl and asking you to lick it clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I couldn't care less as long as the dishes are washed afterwards....

also I love mushrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

softmee wrote: »
    I said I know that list is a bit too much before, but also - dont you think there is a difference between whats good for them and what they will eat? My dog ate some flowers yesterday and was vomiting.
    -and dogs can eat gone off meat because they have bigger tolerance for it then humans.
    Dogs eat grass to help digestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I've just been googling about bacteria in dog's mouths and everywhere I have looked says the same thing, namely, though dogs and humans have the same amount of bacteria in their mouths, they are mostly species specific and you are more likely to catch something harmful from being licked or bitten by another person than a dog.
    Of course if your dog has just eaten a decomposing rat you might want to leave off the licking for a little while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mousey- wrote: »
    My dog used to do that all the time. sometimes she'd vomit it back up and eat it again. Loved chocolate too, the sneaky lengths she'd go to for Chocolate was crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

ScumLord wrote: »
    Loved chocolate too, the sneaky lengths she'd go to for Chocolate was crazy.

Chocolate is one of the worst foods for dogs, highly toxic.

My dad used to feed our first dog Magnums when we'd bring him to the park, can't imagine that was a good idea :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My granny used to do this. She'd let the dogs eat from the plates, and used to pour tea into a saucer for them. As a kid you don't question these things, but now - I don't think I'd be all that keen. Yes, plates get washed etc., but I'd find it hard to dissociate the image of a dog licking the bollix off himself one minute, then a plate the next.
    Mousey- wrote: »

Do they not do this if they have an upset stomach, and want to throw up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sallydan

That is didgusting! wouldn't eat again in their house ever! Even though things get washed, its still unhygienic!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Usually the scraps are put in a dog dish, but we often put bowls and dishes down. Nothing wrong with it!

I remember my baby brother doing something hilarious when we were younger, we found him outside with his head buried in the dog dish, actually eating dog food with the dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abi wrote: »
    My granny used to do this. She'd let the dogs eat from the plates, and used to pour tea into a saucer for them. As a kid you don't question these things, but now - I don't think I'd be all that keen. Yes, plates get washed etc., but I'd find it hard to dissociate the image of a dog licking the bollix off himself one minute, then a plate the next.
    ^ Dogs Bollix of a reply .....haaaaa ,not to mention the noise they make when they are licking them ,sorta like, slush...glup...mulap ... slurp .....like you can hear the tongue lashing the fook outa them balls .

Only thing my dog eats out of is his bowel, if only for the above which is good enough reason as any .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Latchy wrote: »
    ^ Dogs Bollix of a reply .....haaaaa ,not to mention the noise they make when they are licking them ,sorta like, slush...glup...mulap ... slurp .....like you can hear the tongue lashing the fook outa them balls .

Only thing my dog eats out of is his bowel, if only for the above which is good enough reason as any .

Oh sweet jeeesus Latch.. my stomach is gonna give after reading that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abi wrote: »
    Oh sweet jeeesus Latch.. my stomach is gonna give after reading that :D
    Mines in knots of laughter here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My wife will put a plate on the floor for our mutt to eat the leftovers, but I don't like it.

I don't have a problem with eating from a plate the dog has eaten from, but I don't want the dog to think eating from our plates is ok. She has her bowl and she can eat whatever is in there and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So much work over nothing, once the plates are properly cleaned there is nothing to be concerned about.
    It is not unhygienic once the plates are properly cleaned.
    It is not a risk to human health once the plates are properly cleaned.

All this being scared by germs is what gives some people weak immune systems, they need to have everything germ free and this is not natural or healthy, one needs some exposure but simply clean the plates properly...the people who are making a fuss over this are more likely to get sick from food that they put on their own plates if they failed to cook it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I once had a cat that used to eat smokey bacon taytoes out of my mouth, so yep if the plate is washed, i would eat off it.

Also the cat and dog used to drink tea out of our tea cups and eat scraps off our plates.

Advertisement