Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who allow dogs to clean up dinner plates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I don't care if they pass the plate through through a kiln, melted it to its constituent atoms and reassembled into a plate again along with a gold certificate stating 100% free of dog saliva. It's still disgusting.

:pac: I feel exactly the same. But then again, I get the collywobbles with a lot of things pet owners allow to happen - mouth-kissing, sharing beds, never washing hands etc :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I can wholeheartedly say that I have NEVER put onions into any meal I have ever cooked. I hate onions.

My dogs are perfectly healthy and in check with their weight. Only vet bills so far have been neutering and nail clippings.

But thanks for wishing suffering on a defenseless animal, you horrible person.

:pac: You are horrible person because they will be sick sooner or later and thats for sure -even without onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have they been licked by dogs? Then yes.

Considering most of the stuff will have spent time in bins and whatnot, being licked by dogs is probably the least of your worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

softmee wrote: »
    :pac: You are horrible person because they will be sick sooner or later and thats for sure -even without onions!

If we serve you doggy food will you get sick? Sooner, later, whichever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

One of my dogs has just gone past her 4th birthday and the other, just gone past his 1st. No issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I love my little doggy to bits, but I wouldn't ever put a plate down for her to lick. That's just icky. If I want to give her something from my dinner it goes into her dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

NoDice wrote: »
    :o:o:o My dog not only does that but drinks the remaining tea in my cup and sleeps in my bed. She's my little hairy baby! :o

Just as well we are nt talking about cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The sink-piss majority of this forum should think a dog lick minor in comparison to how many Saturday and Sunday morning dishes have been washed in your own urine!!!! :eek:

Before you kill your pets:

http://www.animalrescuegroup.com/articles/human_foods_toxic_to_dogs.html

"Human Foods Toxic To Dogs
    By:
    e-dog-training.com
    Recent alerts about unsafe commercial pet foods have sounded an alarm among pet owners. Unfortunately, this problem isn’t really ‘news’. It seems that incidents similar to this occur from time to time. Perhaps this is one reason more and more pet owners are opting to ‘home cook’ for their pets. However, in order to properly home-cook for your pets, you should first have a basic knowledge of canine nutrition; and, even more importantly, a thorough knowledge of human foods that are harmful to dogs. Some foods which are safe for human consumption can be poisonous for our canine companions. E-dog-training.com has put together a list of 25 common human foods that are toxic to dogs. Of course, when in doubt, always check with your vet. Here is a list to get you started:

1. Onions (Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate. But onions are more of a danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic – garlic contains less of this toxin so huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. And, by the way, this poison builds up the system – it can be toxic in one large dose – or with repeated consumption of small amounts.)
    2. Chocolate (Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.)
    3. Grapes (Grapes are dangerous because of an unknown substance which is toxic to dogs – affects canine’s kidneys)
    4. Raisins (See above.)
    5. Most Fruit Pits and Seeds (Contain Cyanogenic Glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning – though the fruit itself is OK.)
    6. Macadamia Nuts (Macadamia nuts contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs.)
    7. Bones (Most bones should *not* be given (especially chicken bones) because they can splinter and cause laceration of the digestive system and/or become lodged in your pet’s throat – so they also pose a choking hazard.)
    8. Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes (Contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)
    9. Rhubarb leaves (See above.)
    10. Broccoli (Broccoli is only toxic in large quantities.)
    11. Green parts of Tomatoes or Green Potatoes (Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)
    12. Yeast Dough (Yeast Dough can produce gas and swell in your pet’s stomach – leading to rupture of the digestive system)
    13. Coffee, Coffee Grounds, Tea, Soft Drinks (Coffee, tea, & most soft drinks are dangerous due to the caffeine.)
    14. Beer/Wine/Alcohol of any kind (Alcohol of any kind could lead to coma or even death.)
    15. Human Vitamins (Human vitamins, especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system as well as cause kidney and liver damage)
    16. Moldy or Spoiled Food (I think this goes without saying.)
    17. Persimmons (Persimmons can cause intestinal blockage)
    18. Raw Eggs and Raw Fish (Raw eggs and some raw fish can cause Salmonella poisoning.)
    19. Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder (In large amounts these can cause an electrolyte imbalance – and severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.)
    20. Mushrooms (Mushrooms may contain toxins which could cause liver and kidney damage)
    21. Sugar-Free Foods (Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol have been found to cause liver failure in some dogs.)
    22. Nutmeg (Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures, and central nervous system damage.)
    23. Excessive Fatty Foods (Excess fatty foods can cause Pancreatitis.)
    24. Avocado (All parts of the avocado and avocado tree are toxic to dogs.)
    25. Diary Products (Dairy products don’t usually pose a great danger; but many dairy product have high fat content (see number 23) – and many pets are lactose intolerant – some pets more than others. Lactose intolerance leads to gas and diarrhea; though small amounts of yogurt and cheese are usually fairly well tolerated.) "

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

God damn clean freaks.

Bunch of pussies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Softmee, a lot of your list relates to human too.
    Rhubarb leaves are poisonous to all.
    We can all choke on a bone (and what's toxic about that?)
    Alcohol affects my liver too but I am funny when drunkm

Bit OTT if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

My dog licks the plates after I've put them in the dishwasher.

Softmee, a lot of your list relates to human too.
    Rhubarb leaves are poisonous to all.
    We can all choke on a bone (and what's toxic about that?)
    Alcohol affects my liver too but I am funny when drunkm

Bit OTT if you ask me

I know ;), but we have a choice and they dont and why not keeping them healthy? My Mums dog died recently at the age of 10 (too young) and she was eating too much human food for sure.
    Just be carefull with onions and chocolate -they are really bad for them!

Ok first of all, I think that horrible people are ones who go around accusing people of trying to kill their dogs.

Secondly, you do get that this isn't people cooking meals for their dogs, it's just leftovers, like the gravy left on a plate and maybe a few teaspoons of human food.

Thirdly, I think you've taken the internet a bit too seriously. Dogs eat stuff. Some stuff is bad. They'll survive. Humans eat lots of stuff that's bad but it isn't going to kill us. Your list looks very scary, but having read it, most of the stuff on it is just as harmful for humans as it is for dogs. I mean, rhubarb leaves for example. No one eats rhubarb leaves, they're poisonous. But put them on a big scary list of things that are going to kill your dog and suddenly pet owners the world over are worried that there's killer rhubarb leaves just lying around everywhere. That evil dog owners are feeding them to their pets.

Some people make their dogs go vegan. That's wrong. Some people cook their dogs' meals with their own (ie. completely human diet). That's wrong. But giving your plates to your dog is absolutely fine. Most people don't do it everyday anyway. It's a very small amount and the contents are mostly harmless.

To be back on topic, I'm fine with eating off plates that have been cleaned, no matter what's been on them before. Unless specifically told that they were submersed in a vat of wash-resistant microorganisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Spiders poop on your food when it's growing in the field. They've been at it the whole time laughing at us eating their poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

By: e-dog-training.com

softmee, nothing personal but that list is a crock. Having been around lots of different breeds for most of my life, I can list a lot of these "bad for your dog type foods" as being normal feed. Dairy foods, eggs, tea, potato skins etc. Where do these people pull the script from? If a dog sees a mouldy sandwich or meat that has gone off, then he will scoff it. Unless he has some eating/emotional issues.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OP, you know when a fly lands on your arm/chair/countertop?

Well they vomit all over everything they touch. Including food at the supermarket.

Bon appetit.

Ok first of all, I think that horrible people are ones who go around accusing people of trying to kill their dogs.

Secondly, you do get that this isn't people cooking meals for their dogs, it's just leftovers, like the gravy left on a plate and maybe a few teaspoons of human food.

Thirdly, I think you've taken the internet a bit too seriously. .

Fourthly I think its you who is too serious. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

way over reacting imo. plus just stop eating in other people's houses! :confused:

I don't think it is an over-reaction at all. I have seen friends do this with their pets and it makes me feel sick. I know the plates are washed after but I hate seeing it. Dogs lick their b*lls ffs. Wrooooooooooooooonnng!!!

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »

softmee, nothing personal but that list is a crock. Having been around lots of different breeds for most of my life, I can list a lot of these "bad for your dog type foods" as being normal feed. Dairy foods, eggs, tea, potato skins etc. Where do these people pull the script from? If a dog sees a mouldy sandwich or meat that has gone off, then he will scoff it. Unless he has some eating/emotional issues.:)

I said I know that list is a bit too much before, but also - dont you think there is a difference between whats good for them and what they will eat? My dog ate some flowers yesterday and was vomiting.
    -and dogs can eat gone off meat because they have bigger tolerance for it then humans.

I don't think it is an over-reaction at all. I have seen friends do this with their pets and it makes me feel sick. I know the plates are washed after but I hate seeing it. Dogs lick their b*lls ffs. Wrooooooooooooooonnng!!!

What if your BF/GF goes down on you? They put forks and spoons into their mouth.

Same difference.

What if your BF/GF goes down on you? They put forks and spoons into their mouth.

Same difference.

Yeah, totally the same... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

The sink-piss majority of this forum should think a dog lick minor in comparison to how many Saturday and Sunday morning dishes have been washed in your own urine!!!! :eek:

I must be in the minority here - even if I were that way inclined, I'm neither anatomically designed nor physically agile enough to use my kitchen sink for such a purpose. As for the OH, if he even allowed such an idea to cross his mind he would quite definitely be anatomically incapable of urinating anywhere ever again!

Yeah, totally the same... rolleyes.gif

Great elaboration.

What's so clean about your OH's genitals? Their cum?

Great elaboration.

What's so clean about your OH's genitals? Their cum?

And dogs sniff other dogs *rses. I just find it yuck! Fair play to those who can stomach it, I just can't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Spread wrote: »

Dogs are carnivores, we are omnivores. Straight away that tells you they shouldn't eat human food.

Anyone who cares about their dog won't feed them human leftovers, and don't give me that 'sher my dog lived till 20 crap, their digestive systems are used to meat, offal, skin and some grass for digestion, that's it. Dogs don't eat carbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To summarise:

90% of After Hours posters like eating dog-sh1t, flies and vomit.

I look forward to the next edition of "come dine with me".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

seamus wrote: »
    Of course you're overreacting. When's the last time you heard of anyone falling ill from a disease they got from being licked by a dog? They don't carry anything harmful in their saliva. Except roundworm. But then that can't survive a dishwasher.

People who are obsessive about cleanliness get sick more often than those who just take simple precautions rather than go overboard. FACT.
    i have no problem having my dogs finishing off my dinner from the same plate as i use, see i leave them clean up all the plates, then they are lovely and clean enough to go in dishwasher, saves water and time, doggy happy, me happy, and i have not ended up sick yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I said I know that list is a bit too much before, but also - dont you think there is a difference between whats good for them and what they will eat? My dog ate some flowers yesterday and was vomiting.
    -and dogs can eat gone off meat because they have bigger tolerance for it then humans.

I get your drift but I must say that the garlic bit is a tad strange. My father raced and bred greyhounds successfully in the 50s and 60s. Garlic was in every evening meal then. One of these bitches went on to win The Oaks, lived to 11 (died from distemper by the way) and produced several top class sons and daughters. Anything not finished by the family was mixed in with their meal.

Advertisement