Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

ITS TIME
    Start a small survey for like 2 seconds to enter
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

Suggestion - select 32 bit ( development is only 32 bit ATM)
    Ubuntu of course
    Be honest ( There looking for the best development possible ( if your machine wont run the game , why bother entering))

You do need a steam account , which most of us have.
    Would highly suggest everybody to enter that have am interest in this.
    It would be great to get somebody here involved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Signed up now. Hopefully I get the chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Tried to sign up but no survey was on the page. Just had a button telling me to submit my results. I clicked it without thinking really and was greeted with a sign saying thanks for doing the survey. Can't do it now... :(

found the official linux beta on steam
    where the announcement was , i believe. was first posted
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Soon!

Speaking of wish. How many here are still rocking 12.04

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Soon!

Speaking of wish. How many here are still rocking 12.04

na , i jump quickly to 12.10 , having a few problems ( think i have a bug), sent in a report but no news.

Amazon searches and the music store i dont like.Not many new features in it.

However , in 13.04 they are working on a secret development. looking forward to that.

Will have to format my linux on my gaming pc( on external hdd) if i'm picked as its a 64 bit

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/valve-talk-steam-for-linux-at-uds?
    Beta Access

No time frame was given for either the limited beta release or the following ‘general’ one, but Bliss did say that users ‘won’t have to wait until 2013′ to get hold of them.

Edit : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/steam-for-linux-to-drop-mid-november?
    Mid November for the general beta release

Hey foalks for guys who fûcked up on the surveys ,you have an update your answers now.
    Just try and sign up again and it will ask you do you want to update

Folks , can I get a show of hands who have signed up for the beta

Just curious in asking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I can't get into my steam account to reset my password without steam.....it's a catch 22. :D

Ah I might install it through wine over the weekend, but I'd like to sign up.

Khannie wrote: »
    I can't get into my steam account to reset my password without steam.....it's a catch 22. :D

Ah I might install it through wine over the weekend, but I'd like to sign up.
    Pretty sure I was able to do it through the website

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nah, their site says:
    The Steam client must be installed to reset your Steam account password.

Khannie wrote: »
    Nah, their site says:
    you can contact them it says

release less than 30 minutes ago ( 15 by the time i started this post :))

Folks , if you didnt get an email. you waren't selected. The beta has just began
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

Over .... wait for it..... 60,000 people signed up. This in my option is massive. considering Canonical only estimate only just over 20,000 use ubuntu . of these 60,000

“An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team

"This is a huge milestone in the development of PC gaming,” according to Gabe Newell, Valve President and co-founder. “Steam users have been asking us to support gaming on Linux. We’re happy to bring rich forms of entertainment and our community of users to this open, customer-friendly platform.”

The games included are Free to play team fortress and 24 others

Edit: I wonder weather the steam linux beta was assigned to your account or what?
    Either way i believe the download might be leaked.

Anybody here get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

bpb101 wrote: »
    release less than 30 minutes ago ( 15 by the time i started this post :))

Folks , if you didnt get an email. you waren't selected. The beta has just began
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

Over .... wait for it..... 60,000 people signed up. This in my option is massive. considering only Canonical estimate only just over 20,000 use ubuntu . of these 60,000

“An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team

"This is a huge milestone in the development of PC gaming,” according to Gabe Newell, Valve President and co-founder. “Steam users have been asking us to support gaming on Linux. We’re happy to bring rich forms of entertainment and our community of users to this open, customer-friendly platform.”

The games included are Free to play team fortress and 24 others

You lucky man. Keep us updated.

shizz wrote: »
    You lucky man. Keep us updated.
    Im not on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Over .... wait for it..... 60,000 people signed up. This in my option is massive. considering Canonical only estimate only just over 20,000 use ubuntu . of these 60,000

Even more so when you consider it barely made news on any of the tech sites.

Finding the game list is a bit hard , as you have to search and filter so here a link for people that want to look at the prizes.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_200_200_250_12&term=#os=linux&advanced=0&sort_order=ASC&page=1

"Steam for Linux limited beta has begun!
    The first wave of welcome emails has been sent out!
    If you've filled out the survey but haven't received an email don't despair. We will be expanding the beta in the future with more participants from the survey.

Thanks for all your support in getting this out the door,
    the Valve Linux team" - Frank some guy that works on steam for linux

• Advertisement

The last setences about the linux hub , reminded me of how , a bit let down i was with the blog. It never mentioned the survey or the release of the beta .
    It told readers this was where the official word would come from . - long time waiting if you were only going to follow the blogs word.

I thought Left 4 Dead 2 was supposed to be the beta launch title. How come it's not there now?

It's only Team Fortress and then a bunch of indie games that are already available on Linux.

matrim wrote: »
    I thought Left 4 Dead 2 was supposed to be the beta launch title. How come it's not there now?

It's only Team Fortress and then a bunch of indie games that are already available on Linux.
    What you going to do .

Folks ive managed to bypass the steam beta even though i wasent involved in the steam beta.

Just found this now though
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/reddit-users-bypass-valve-linux-beta-invitations

Ive tried out the world of goo demo and it is working without any flaws ( that i could see)

If so many people are doing it, it wont be long until they just say Féck it and generally release it

EDIT: Benjamin Kerensa( guy who wrote the article) in the comments of that link says

I spoke with a former Canonical employee who said thought they must have left it on purpose because it was widely obvious

was just looking around , googlimg , and reading blogs and a few people are complaining that there is only 26 games and these are indie games form the humble bundles mostly

But there are only 100 games on mac and most are dlc and indie games -so first day( of a beta of 1000 ) out to have 26 games isent bad at all.
    Buth here my pain reason to post.

There is atcually loads of games planed
    these include

Red orchestra (1)
    killing floor
    team fortress
    Left for dead
    limbo
    link: http://marlamin.com/cdr/search.php?s=linux&searchby=os

TBH I am a bit underwhelmed by the game selection. You would expect alot of the beta participants to already have the indie bundle games so that's nothing new or that they can't already have.

That only leaves TF2, as someone who was expecting Left For Dead 2 it is a bit underwhelming.

But I fully expect the list of games to go up pretty quickly.

TBH I am a bit underwhelmed by the game selection. You would expect alot of the beta participants to already have the indie bundle games so that's nothing new or that they can't already have.

That only leaves TF2, as someone who was expecting Left For Dead 2 it is a bit underwhelming.

But I fully expect the list of games to go up pretty quickly.

You cant expect valve to port all their games in such a small space of time. This makes it to get 3rd party developers to get involved.

Remember , your testing out the steam client and not the games . The Beta games are completely different as you would report a bug to the game developers.

You cant expect valve to port all their games in such a small space of time. This makes it to get 3rd party developers to get involved.

Remember , your testing out the steam client and not the games . The Beta games are completely different as you would report a bug to the game developers.

I don't expect them to port all their games but I did expect them to port the game that they constantly mentioned in their blog. I'm not overtly disappointed. I know it's very early days and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here

Also, the install you posted above works for me and I can launch steam and see Aquaria, Penumbra and World of Goo all available for install.

For anyone who has problems launching steam, if you have an Nvidia optimus card and bumblebee installed try running "optirun steam", as I couldn't get it to start without optirun

I don't expect them to port all their games but I did expect them to port the game that they constantly mentioned in their blog. I'm not overtly disappointed. I know it's very early days and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here

Also, the install you posted above works for me and I can launch steam and see Aquaria, Penumbra and World of Goo all available for install.

For anyone who has problems launching steam, if you have an Nvidia optimus card and bumblebee installed try running "optirun steam", as I couldn't get it to start without optirun
    IN fairness they said 1 supported valve game in their last blog post - we just presumed it was l4d2

i say it will be out in the coming days - probable just doing a bit of tidying up -but im just guessing

Folks just a reminder to anybody who wants to join the boards.ie steam linux group,(http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boardslinuxteam/) post a linux to your steam profile (don't give us your name - searching dosnt work.)
    If you want to join but dont want to publicly post ur profile link , you can of course pm and ill add you

• Advertisement

The Humble Bundle
    for Android 4
    Six glorious games for your mobile entertainment. Humble Bundle for Android 4 features a handpicked selection of the finest portable gaming ever seen for Android. Pay-what-you-want and dive into the creative physics puzzler Crayon Physics Deluxe; the plant-based interstellar RTS Eufloria; the cell-splitting microbial puzzler Splice; the future-retro audiovisual concoction Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP; and the side-scrolling planetary adventure, Waking Mars. Customers who pay more than the average price will also get the fantastic mechanical point-and-click adventure Machinarium!

For the steam keys pay them a dollar (at least) .

However they do say this under information tag on unlock on steam

"If you pay at least $1, you can optionally get a key to redeem the games on Steam (for Mac and Windows). Visit your download page to redeem your Steam key.

*We are currently unable to provide Steam keys for Waking Mars because it is not on Steam (although it is on Steam Greenlight)."

This may because they dont know about the beta - or forgot - however , even if it dosent work , money isent wasted - you can reclaim the game via the ubuntu software center ( and i presume do a steam overlap)

WHEN BUYING THE BUNDLE BUY ON A LINUX PC(even your android phone)
    THE OS YOU BUY ON , IS THE ONE THEY PUT YOUR MONEY FROM

try and push the Linux price and share of cash up

Advertisement