Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus transformer

Options
  • 27-06-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I am very close to going buying the Asus transformer but I googled it today and it mentioned that a newer faster model is rumored to be coming out in October November this year. So you think it would be worth waiting or just taking the plunge and getting one. It is just a rumor.
    Also how are everyone getting on with their Asia transformer tablets? Any feedback would be great as in performance and app availability.

Sean

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

In October there'll be a newer faster model due in February. :D
    Then in February there'll be a newer faster model due in July.
    That's just the way it is with Android stuff. There's always a newer model. It's how PCs used to be a few years ago. You have to buy sometime.

I don't have a Transformer but I've a Honeycomb tablet. There are very few specific Honeycomb apps but most 2.x apps work fine on it. Most of my usage on it is for the browser, video and for reading the main advantage is the speed of the tablet and the size of the screen. I had a Froyo tablet before and Honeycomb is much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Has anyone used that simply electronics website to buy their Asus? I have a dock sourced in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I got my Transformer over the weekend and love it so far. The image quality is great and the battery life is fantastic. Very comfortable for reading & watching movies. There's some nice apps out there, but not a great range of tablet-specific apps yet. Can highly recommend an app called Pulse for news feeds etc. And of course, Angry Birds plays well.

Haven't done a huge amount with it yet but so far I love it & would recommend!

Where dis you purchase your one from captain p?

stodwyer wrote: »
    Where dis you purchase your one from captain p?

I bought it in PC World unfortunately (awful staff in Airside - can't recommend).
    I normally buy my stuff online but I had decided I wanted it there and then!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

captain P wrote: »
    I bought it in PC World unfortunately (awful staff in Airside - can't recommend).
    I normally buy my stuff online but I had decided I wanted it there and then!!!

Carphone warehouse seem to be doing it cheaper than PC World by the way. 399 vs 429 in PC World but theres some chance PC world might do a better price on a bundle (with the dock). If they ever get them in that is.

Theres a thread on the currys forum that has some more details on that.

I can get the tablet and keyboard for 512 online. But the 399 is a good price. Have CFW them in stock?

machalla wrote: »
    Carphone warehouse seem to be doing it cheaper than PC World by the way. 399 vs 429 in PC World but theres some chance PC world might do a better price on a bundle (with the dock). If they ever get them in that is.

Theres a thread on the currys forum that has some more details on that.

Mine was €499 including the dock in PC world. They told me they didn't have any in stock (in fact that they didn't even sell it with the dock), and when I probed a bit - they went and checked and did actually have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

So is there anywhere you can actually get one with a dock at the moment or is everyone out of stock?

stodwyer wrote: »
    I can get the tablet and keyboard for 512 online. But the 399 is a good price. Have CFW them in stock?

Its about €480 with delivery from amazon at the moment. Thats with the dock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309352386&sr=8-1

I picked up mine CFW beside Jervis Street in Dublin about 1.5weeks ago for €399. Best to go in and check with them.

Depending on whether you need the dock or not its a good deal it seems. I haven't seen it cheaper elsewhere for the dock. I expect over time the dock price will come down so it should be an option for me later in the day.

I'm liking it as a tablet so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Its about €480 with delivery from amazon at the moment. Thats with the dock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309352386&sr=8-1

I picked up mine CFW beside Jervis Street in Dublin about 1.5weeks ago for €399. Best to go in and check with them.

Depending on whether you need the dock or not its a good deal it seems. I haven't seen it cheaper elsewhere for the dock. I expect over time the dock price will come down so it should be an option for me later in the day.

I'm liking it as a tablet so far anyway.

Trouble is Amazon don't have any stock - it says in stock July 2nd but it's been pushed back a few times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

I was just about to buy one too when i heard bout new one being released... think i'll just wait the few months though

JohnK wrote: »
    So is there anywhere you can actually get one with a dock at the moment or is everyone out of stock?

I got one in PC world on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sorry for hijacking the thread....

I am thinking of buying the same. My other choice will be Ipad2. Thats only because I have an android phone and may be ipad will be a different experience.

Anyone here who have used both and want to share their experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread....

I am thinking of buying the same. My other choice will be Ipad2. Thats only because I have an android phone and may be ipad will be a different experience.

Anyone here who have used both and want to share their experience?

I have an iphone and had the ipad gen1 which I loved.
    I hated the fact that video looked crap on it (trying to find a good encoder was a problem) so when I couldn't get the ipad2 I plumped for the Motorola Xoom.
    Hardware wise it's pretty nice and I like the screen layout etc, however the ipad2 is lighter, the ibooks are a far best setup on it and the appstore is light years ahead of Market.
    Then I discovered that the Tegra2 GPU (used in all current android tablets) has a problem with high def mkv files,, so they need to be encoded as well.
    Luckily I've found an app called DVD Catalyst 4 (which also supports the ipad) so I'm really thinking of flogging it and going back to the ipad.
    One thing I do love about the Xoom though is having Dolphin HD browser on it...it's a really fantastic browser and way better than Safari which I hate with a passion.

So let's see.
    If we take the iOS vs Android out of the equation :rolleyes:
    Then on paper the Ipad2 wins hands down on hardware and ease of use (thinner and lighter and it does make a differrence after holding it for a while).

So it boils down to what you want it for.
    If you want it for watching movies/light bit of reading/flash gaming and browsing then definitely the Android tablet (Asus Transformer)
    If you want it for movies/reading/ apps /Newspaper magazines like the Sunday times etc then I suggest the Ipad2 if you're not bothered about flash etc

Ipad2 v Xoom(Transformer etc)

e-Reader : Ipad2 wins for ibooks, incredible smooth compared to Android Offerings

Gaming: Again Ipad2, Huge selection of games plus the GPU in the Ipad2 is about 6 times more powerful than the Tegra2 GPU

Browsing: Xoom etc, Ipad has nothing that compares to Dolphin HD, it's that good a browser while Safari sucks

Flash: Obviously Xoom since Apple don't like Flash anymore :D

Aethestics:..hmm..I love the landscape mode on Android tablets, while the Ipad2 is thinner and lighter so it's a matter of personal opinion...me? I want both :D

Video: Xoom really for drag and drop support (an encoder is still required for the high def mkv files)

Accessories: Ipad wins hands down..it's absolutely ridiculous the amount of apple accessories out there

Apps: Ipad2..there are thousands of apps available for the ipad2..and there are grouped into Apps for Ipad....Google really need to get their finger out of their ass and start doing the same..very poor choice of apps for tablets on Android..maybe 200 in total..
    And no it doesn't matter that a lot of them are ****e...numbers still count

Email integration etc- Again Xoom wins here...You have your google talk, google docs, gmail etc all nicely laid out...
    Sure you can do it all on the ipad as well but it's a lot nicer integrated in Android

Video Conferencing- Ipad2 Facetime, the fact that you can win iphone users at no cost is excellent and this is the only reason it beats google talk (although I suppose come to think of it Android tablet users can use google talk to contact android phones???? :D

Toughness: Gorilla glass is pretty tough..I don't even bother with a screen protector for my xoom since it's excellent, the ipad I used a Zagg shield etc on it as I'd be terrified of scratching it...it's a lot more susceptible to scratches so Xoom wins.
    As regards LCD quality both are excellent and can't fault them...except in direct sunlight ;)
    Apparently the Asus Transformer is even better than the Xoom's screen panel.

Now widgets..if you like fancy widgets cluttering your screen then you'll want the android tablet...
    If like me you hate widgets with a passion and just use the bare minimum then you won't care that the ipad currently doesn't support widgets (unless jailbroken- and ipad2 has yet to be jailbroke).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks a lot mate for all the details. I was looking for someone like you who have used both :)

Now I must get my thinking cap on based on your experiences to see which one to go for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Thanks a lot mate for all the details. I was looking for someone like you who have used both :)

Now I must get my thinking cap on based on your experiences to see which one to go for :D

It's a tough one..
    I'm trying to decide if I'm going to flog my xoom and buy an ipad 2 instead.
    I'm torn between both really.
    It's really down to what you'll settle for and what you really are going to use it for.

Also..if you plump for the Android tablet hold off till September...Nvidia have already launched their Tegra3 (quad core cpu and miles better gpu) and it's rumoured Xoom2 will launch in September.

Here's an engadget article on it
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/nvidia-tegra-3-equipped-with-1-5ghz-quad-core-madness-teased-b/

One thing that concerns me is that Nvidia are only claiming 3x better graphics than the Tegra 2 ..and knowing Nvidia it's probably only 2x...which possibly means that Apple's GPU would still be better than it since it's already 3-6 times more powerful than the Tegra2 GPU.
    I'd be much happier if it was dual core and 6x-10x better graphics...for the moment quad core in a tablet is complete and utter overkill...however I suspect since Nvidia are claiming Blu-ray support is that the the quad-core cpu itself will be doing the encoding, not the gpu.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/apple-ipad-2-gpu-performance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked

Just regarding the encoding video comments in previous threads. Perhaps the following might be useful.

I use handbrake for encoding most of my video at this point as there are various scripts and tools that will automate it on windows and linux. Its handy as the quality tends to stay the same (to my untrained eye) but reduces filesizes somewhat compared to the average video file you might come across. It has outputs for ipad built in.

Heres some settings that you can use to encode video using Handbrake to Asus Transformer and Xoom tablet formats that may be useful. I re-encoded Game of Thrones using these settings and it looks fairly perfect to me
    http://www.ryukent.co.uk/2011/05/asus-eeepad-transformer-handbrake-settings/

These settings are ideal for use with Handbrake to encode files to play well on the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. Thanks to EPChris over on transformer forums for the profile.

* Start with the Regular/Normal Preset
    * Container: MP4 File
    * On the Video tab, choose:
    o Video Codec: H.264
    o Constant Quality: RF 24 (Lower number is better quality but higher file size, I wouldn’t suggest going lower than 20 in this case)
    * On the audio tab change the Mixdown to “Stereo”, bitrate 160
    * On the Advanced Tab:
    o Maximum B-Frames: 0
    o Uncheck “CABAC Entropy Coding”
    o Uncheck “8×8 Transform”
    o Uncheck “Weighted P-Frames”

After those changes, you can save these by clicking on Presets -> Save Preset and name it something like “Transformer”. These settings work for the Xoom as well.

Just FYI:

* A 6-min 720p video with RF 24 was about 92Mb for me and wasn’t bad visually at all, definitely watchable
    * a 6-min 720p video with RF 22 was about 150Mb for me and was very nice to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks machalla. Looks useful, I'll give it a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Just regarding the encoding video comments in previous threads. Perhaps the following might be useful.

I installed Moboplayer on my tablet. (http://www.moboplayer.com/moboplayer_en.html)
    It handles every video I've thrown at it. I don't think I've used the inbuilt player at all.

I suppose for a video you want to keep and replay then it's worth re-encoding. If it's just something you want to watch once and delete Moboplayer is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Can anyone please tell me what's the ASUS policy regarding batteries on these Transformer tablets? Do they have the same thing as Apple or it just ignored for the moment?

Also has anyone seen the pricing somewhere in Dublin for say €450 max for Asus Transformer with keyboard dock?

Thanks.

Just preordered ASUS Transformer 16GB w/ Keyboard dock for €429 from CPW. Sweet! Might be few weeks delayed but who cares, price is really good and will still have few months of fun before college.

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Just preordered ASUS Transformer 16GB w/ Keyboard dock for €429 from CPW. Sweet! Might be few weeks delayed but who cares, price is really good and will still have few months of fun before college.

Are you absolutely sure the dock is in that price? CPW didn't have a clue what they were selling me when I was in the shop a few weeks back (jervis street). They hadn't even heard of a dock. And the price for the tablet by itself was €399. Keep us up to speed on whether you get it with the dock at the price as thats a great price for one with the dock at retail (in fact anywhere I've looked!).

Best of luck with it anway , great tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I asked in a CPW in Cork the other day and they're not expecting any docks till next month so you might be waiting a while. On a slightly related note - Amazon.co.uk seem to have them back in stock at the moment.

ASUS is always like that. They have great tech but in limited quantities. So can be next week or even next month, you right..

I did call CPW today AM and asked for tablet, was given €399 price, then asked for the dock as well with the unit (bundle deals) they said it should be later this month. Asked the price if they new, told me it's €429. So I enquired for the preorder, the guy just took my phone number and said he'll call when it's in. Will try them again on Friday or so..

Are all current Asus transformer owners happy with their tablet. Online there are very mixed reviews. I suppose I'll just have to wait to get mine to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Amazon are quoting 1-2 months delivery!
    JohnK wrote: »
    I asked in a CPW in Cork the other day and they're not expecting any docks till next month so you might be waiting a while. On a slightly related note - Amazon.co.uk seem to have them back in stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

wtf is going on here?

was in carphonewarehouse in dublin city centre today, they had the transformer in stock, but it was €450.

Assistant told me it was €399 a couple of weeks ago, €429 last week, but now it's €450.

I assume thats all without the dock.

Stinks of carphone warehouse taking advantage of a shortage of transformers to gouge their customers.

I'll probably buy online now.

It was CPW in Dundrum. By the sound of the voice some Asian fellow told me the price €399. Today I have called and the phone was answered by Irish male, he said the €399 was only for June so now it's €449.
    Komplett.ie has them for €429 in stock and offers free delivery if am not mistaken. Mind you I have read enough not to jump on this tablet madness train and wait until Ipad 3, Asus Transformer 2 and others hit the market for some fierce competition and decent prices with some 1080p smooth playback and improved overall performance / OS.
    Amazon.co.uk also selling Galaxy Tab 7" WiFi only for around €315 delivered. Pity it's only Android 2.2 maybe 2.3 some time later.. I am hoping for it to drop to around €250 mark and will get one. 10" tablet is too big for my liking. 8" would be ideal, 7" is not too bad. Decent enough performance and lightweight those Galaxys too.

• Advertisement

seeing_ie wrote: »
    wtf is going on here?

was in carphonewarehouse in dublin city centre today, they had the transformer in stock, but it was €450.

Assistant told me it was €399 a couple of weeks ago, €429 last week, but now it's €450.

I assume thats all without the dock.

Stinks of carphone warehouse taking advantage of a shortage of transformers to gouge their customers.

I'll probably buy online now.

I think different CPW shops were quoting different prices from what I've seen on here.

Possibly try one of the other shops and see what they quote. Mad, but whats new. If it was for June only they didn't advertise the fact very well.

Try CPW Jervis thats where I got mine for €399 (without the dock).

Advertisement