Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be in my wardrobe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

OldGoat wrote: »
    My fault. I made reference to the rules of satorial ettiquette and how brown shoes were the shoes of the country squire/bumpkin who would not be 'up' on the dress codes of the well healed and would be recognised by his innapropiate footwear worn as eveningwear. :)

I like the rules of ettiquette. They stem back to a time when people cared for their apparence more then they do now. Mass produced and disposable clothing has taken away all eligance and panache of tailored clothing. Wearing vans, cons, niks, addis, dunlos (or any other abriviated plimsol) with a suit just screams "WRONG!" at me.

A suit shold be sharp, clean lines, fitted. Wearing open necked shirts, half tied ties, runners, t-shirt, wellies, beanies or whatever some see as 'individual' with a suit to me just looks slovernly and lacks eligence.
    Why would you do that when you can achieve the same look with jeans and hoodies?

I'm not saying that there is no room for individulism or for breaking the rules of ettiquette or for making bold statments with your clothes but please please PLEASE don't make the exception become the rule.

I think you misunderstand me, the con's/suit look is for outside the workplace or at least it is for me. It's a fashion statement nothing else, why not a suit instead of jeans/shirt. It's something different, catches the eye.

I suppose it's probably a liberation things, something so casual as cons together with the ultimate symbol of the 'daily grind'. Rebellion but in a subtle way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Two suits, three trousers, ten shirts, twenty now unnecessary ties (less formal work environment), tails, three frock coats.

T-shirts should be selected carefully: slogans are fine as long as it's unlikely you'll meet someone in the same one in a given month. Webcomics are good for this.

Leinster jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

pajunior wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand me, the con's/suit look is for outside the workplace or at least it is for me. It's a fashion statement nothing else, why not a suit instead of jeans/shirt. It's something different, catches the eye.

I suppose it's probably a liberation things, something so casual as cons together with the ultimate symbol of the 'daily grind'. Rebellion but in a subtle way.

Personally i don't think cons and a suit look good at all, both those guys in those photos look really sloppy. If you wanted to go more casual you should play around with different colors and fabrics of shirts, i think loosing the tie is fine too with the top button left open, looks better again without a belt. Ditch your cons and go for more casual types of shoes, suede looks well cool on a casual suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I prefer tshirts that arent bought from Jack and Jones (my clothes are not billboards thanks very much) or Dunnes with whatever wacky fad is in fashion at the time, like Sesame Street or whatever, theres loads of cool tshirt websites like lastexittonowhere.com or teefury.com that do ridiculously cool shirts that hardly anyone else would wear. I got chatting to a girl on a night out one night who was wearing a tshirt with the Nexus-7 "more human than human" Tyrell company logo on it, if you get the reference you'll already know how cool that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

padi89 wrote: »
    Personally i don't think cons and a suit look good at all, both those guys in those photos look really sloppy. If you wanted to go more casual you should play around with different colors and fabrics of shirts, i think loosing the tie is fine too with the top button left open, looks better again without a belt. Ditch your cons and go for more casual types of shoes, suede looks well cool on a casual suit.

I won't keep posting on the same point after this but while I'm at it I just think cons look cool.

You like different coloured shirts so why not different coloured shoes? (though usually I go for grey or a grey blue)

Anyway I just think they add a bit of youth and vibrancy to an outfit, but maybe in a few years I'll look back and laugh at myself for wearing them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I also don't get what the obsession is with Cons.

Have to say I really don't like Cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

baz2009 wrote: »
    Have to say I really don't like Cons.

I like them in the right context but a pair of trainers with a suit?

Not a hope in hell.

Who do people think they are,Zac fcukin Efron or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Here's what's in closet:
    A few decent belts
    A nice watch
    Smart boxers
    A day wear jacket and a going out jacket
    A few v-necks
    A grey suit
    Black and brown shoes
    Timerbland boots
    a few t-shirts (polo and regular)

Lots of Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

i think i need to go shopping - i currently own three pairs of jeans, six t-shirts, 3 hoodies, one pair of trainers, one pair of running shoes, no dress shoes. one pair of shorts. total value about 50 quid, i could probably fit everything thing in one ryanair carry on bag. can wear what i want to the office, have a very active social life, do quite well with women - proof that clothes don't mean shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Get yourself a decent tuxedo as well – you never know when you will need one and although ‘tuxedo-wearing’ occasions may not be frequent, even after three such occasions you’ll be better off financially than paying to rent one.
    Plus, you’ll look better, not have the hassle of having to arrange hire at the last moment and will no longer have to worry about leaving it back to the hire shop with your girlfriends elbow length gloves in the pocket that the hire shop were unable to find the next day.

Also can everyone stop saying ‘cons’ please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Also can everyone stop saying ‘cons’ please.

Why?

I like Cons.

I even like the shortened reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Why?

I like Cons.

I even like the shortened reference.

They are awful juvenile though! You may as well be wearing a pair of wheelies or runners that light up when you walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Well each to his own I guess. Appearance should be about what you feel and look good in.

Personally a nice pair of Converse are a great thing to have in the wardrobe. Wouldn't be my choice with a suit in fairness, but they have a purpose for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Now that I'm earning money I can actually afford to spend some money on clothes - slowly but surely trying to overhaul my wardrobe atm - everything from socks upwards!

Regarding T-Shirts - I have a few sloganed tees and I'll hold onto the one's I quite like but I'm moving more towards plain v-neck tees atm - white, black and blue - they're in Pennys for €3 atm and they're really nice imo.

Suits: I have two suits and I rarely wear them (note to self have a suit-up night soon) but they're worth having.

Jeans - have two pairs of bootcut jeans that're beginning to fall apart tbh but I love them - have 2 pairs of straight leg jeans that are comfy but still getting used to them and one pair of Baggy jeans that I rarely wear anymore...should probably get rid of them tbh

Shoes - I still have 2 pairs of Vans, a pair of navy momentums, loafers for work, 2 pairs of dress shoes and 2 pairs of runners. Hoping to replace the Vans with more momentums.

The hard part is firing the old clothes away but I'm giving them to charity so it needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Every man needs a good wifebeater in their wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Was reading the Guardian Weekend magazine on Sat and saw a photo of a rather nicely dressed Rupert Bell, which sent me looking to young fogies and their sartorial rules. Is there an equivalent here in Ireland I wonder?

Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"The Chap" is one of my favourite publications. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

and lads, brown or black, keep those shoes polished and in good repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Readning this thread makes me feel like a shabbily dressed vagrant. I've got one suit, a few well worn pairs of jeans, t-shirts (no "if lost return to pub" bull**** type slogans) and the rest is all outdoor wear, hiking boots, cycling shorts, fleeces, raingear and workshirts. Questions of which shoes to wear with evening wear and the advantages of buying versus renting a tux don't factor in my wardrobe-based decision making. Then again I tend to spend at least a month of every year sleeping outside so I suppose it makes sense that I dress like a bit of bum.

Still love a crisp suit though, and cons are for kids.

Advertisement