Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be in my wardrobe?

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I've always really been not assed about my appearance but I have taken more of an interest recently with the gym and what to wear etc.

Anyway, what should always be in a man's wardrobe? How many pairs of jeans? How many pairs of shoes? Anything in particular which you think is important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

A good watch, a pair of proper sunglasses, decent shoes (brown for night wear, black laced for suits, both with heals), clean runners, a crisp suit for special occasions, casual jeans for everyday use, dark jeans for night wear, a nice belt, a few nice shirts, plain polo's and tee's. That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

GiftofGab wrote: »
    A good watch, a pair of proper sunglasses, decent shoes (brown for night wear, black laced for suits, both with heals), clean runners, a crisp suit for special occasions, casual jeans for everyday use, dark jeans for night wear, a nice belt, a few nice shirts, plain polo's and tee's. That should do it.

I would add:
    Wool coat (Charcoal), dresses up ay outfit for winter with a good scarf.

And (most imortant)

Make sure it all fits.... especially jeans and shirts...

Throw out the stuff that makes you look like a vagrant (old jeans are a risk in many cases...)

and...

No-one need wear a track-suit in public. You can dress normally on the way to the Gym, and shower and change back into civilised clothes afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

brown for night wear
    On a point of ettiquete, wrong. Sorry. :o

A wardrobe is going to be very indivudal. Few of the Gentlemen here would be happy having to live with what I have in my wardrobe (I wear suits at every opportunity and jeans only when forced to) and frankly I'd sooner eat treebark then have t-shirts in mine. :) It's all very unique - as it should be.
    What aspect of your wardrobe are you looking to build up? Casual wear? Business wear? Formal wear? Tops, trousers, shoes?

For me a basic wardrobe would be 5 suits, 20 or so shirts, 2 or 3 jackets, 5 or six pair of trousers, 3 pair of shoes, two pair of boots.

For other wear I'd have a couple of jeans for work, a few chino type trousers for smart casual, a few of golf/polo shirts - for playing in.

Your basic wardrobe can be built up over time and then it's just a case of replacing worn out/damaged items.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Zooey Deschanel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Only if you want to look generic as ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

This has inspired me to have a major cull of my own wardrobe, gonna throw out a lot of crap I've accumulated over the years working in retail. In saying that I only have two belts :confused:

qz wrote: »
    This has inspired me to have a major cull of my own wardrobe, gonna throw out a lot of crap I've accumulated over the years working in retail. In saying that I only have two belts :confused:

Well I refuse to wear brown shoes as 'night wear' (or at all for that matter) so I guess I'm pretty screwed myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brown shoes? ugh.

own a Mr Men tshirt? throw it away. same goes for any shirt with humorous, original slogans such as "if found return to pub", they've never, ever been funny or cool.

a pair of Cons, they go with everything (even suits :pac: )

krudler wrote: »
    Brown shoes? ugh.

own a Mr Men tshirt? throw it away. same goes for any shirt with humorous, original slogans such as "if found return to pub", they've never, ever been funny or cool.

^^
    This right here.

+ A person's wardrobe should reflect their personality. I doubt many wardrobes are filled with crombie jackets and chelsea boots but their an absolute staple in my world.

Try find your own style OP, and trust me when I say STAY AWAY FROM BROWN SHOES!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What's so wrong with brown shoes?

photo1ue.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Totally agree.Ive owned a number of pairs of brown shoes down the years and will continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dont wear suits that often because i dont need to how ever i think i could do with some more dressy casual then hoodies which is i cen wear one every day for 2 weeks :o

so im on the hunt at the mo for dress/asual shirts.. :D

I think with clothing everything has a time and a place...

Love brown shoes, brogues in particular. Great for stomping around town or through the fields. Just leave 'em at home when you are going out in the evening to a pub, club, resturant... ...

Wearing brown shoes in the evening is the Dapper Gentlemens equivelant of wearing pyjamas to Tesco's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Brown shoes? ugh.

I have a t-shirt that says "Nerds do it rarely" which i am gonna keep. lol

All my clothes fall into the comfy category i have to say...baggy jeans, tracksuit bottoms, t-shirts, hoodies, trainers, cons. I have two suits and a couple of pairs of shoes but mostly i have American football jerseys because they are comfy as ****.

I love wearing suits going out, during the summer its a bit too warm so a shirt, tie and waistcoat with a pair of cons looks the business,dressy but casual too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I love wearing suits going out, during the summer its a bit too warm so a shirt, tie and waistcoat with a pair of cons looks the business,dressy but casual too

Man, i'd never wear a suit out...back in the day i used to...but the clubs i tended to frequent recently were real dance orientated places...so everything was designed for comfort and cooling.

I played a few sets in a suit though, which was cool as i could instantly see people thinking i was a wanker. Which i might be, but i was the wanker they came to see play. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

You wear a suit going out?

wait-wut-thumb.jpg?1225157443

Also, please don't tell me that by "cons" you mean converse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I don't get the hating on brown shoes for going out in the evening. A pair of dark brown shoes with dark jeans and fitted shirt works well for me personally.

I can't stand to see light blue jeans and black shoes...

For work (Client Facing):

• About 20 ties and 15 or so work shirts. (Two ply cotton herringbone is the nicest material for shirts in my opinion in terms of touch)
    • Four suits (charcoal suit needs replacing though)
    • Mac Overcoat
    • Wool/Cashmere Overcoat (really nice black one and a navy one picked up on ebay which is in fantastic shape)
    • Weeks worth of jumpers (soft merino wool can't afford cashmere yet) for casual fridays... Charles Tyrwhitt is pretty good for these
    • Three pairs of shoes (one pair of loafers and two oxfords)
    • Four pairs of trousers (just M&S - need to improve them)
    • Pair of chords for casual fridays depending on how casual I want to look
    • Cufflinks (I have a lot...)
    Everyday wear:

• Five pairs of jeans ranging from fitted to baggy depending on how I feel
    • Hoodies - I know I shouldn't but I own about 10 of these. In defence they're all plain, no labels or anything and are worn to/from gym or sports which I do a lot of in my spare time.
    • Five or six casual shirts
    • Couple of plain t shirts
    • I'd use jumpers from work too when going out
    • Three pairs of trainers (clean)
    • Two pairs of shoes (both brown)
    Conclusion: I dress a hell of a lot better in work then I do outside of it!

I've built the workwear collection up over the last two years keeping an eye out for sales and buying stuff that was not in season as you get a better price and makes it far cheaper to build collection up. As I said I tend to usually do a lot of sports so would literally go work - home - training - 10.30pm so jeans/tracksuit bottoms + hoody in the evening is quite a common site. Weekends I'd dress a hell of a lot smarter obviously!

You wear a suit going out?

wait-wut-thumb.jpg?1225157443

Also, please don't tell me that by "cons" you mean converse.

yup, not all the time just on occasions, or when myself and the lads decide to have a suiting up night, the extra female attention makes it worthwhile ;) course I mean converse, but who calls them that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

yup, not all the time just on occasions, or when myself and the lads decide to have a suiting up night, the extra female attention makes it worthwhile ;) course I mean converse, but who calls them that :pac:

Yeah cons(or similar) with a suit/slacks looks really nice. You look good but not uptight. There is a really famous picture of Kate Moss wearing a really expensive dress with a pair of cons. Looks effortlessly cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The fact she is a world famous multi millionairess super model had absolutely nothing to do with it Im sure.
    ;)

The fact she is a world famous multi millionairess super model had absolutely nothing to do with it Im sure.
    ;)

I was just pointing out how good cons look when put with something smart.

I remember when we called them All Stars. :)
    pajunior wrote: »
    I was just pointing out how good cons look when put with something smart.
    Like this?
    fashiontest415.jpg
    Careful what you wish for. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    I remember when we called them All Stars. :)

Like this?
    fashiontest415.jpg
    Careful what you wish for. :)

Ah here! Now you're just trying to make me look stupid :pac:

I was thinking more like this

converse+wedding2.JPG

or

be4afc95cabfd98b__gallery.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Brown shoes? ugh.

I'll keep my Mr Cool t-shirt and matching socks thanks.

I also don't get what the obsession is with Cons.

I'll keep my Mr Cool t-shirt and matching socks thanks.

I also don't get what the obsession is with Cons.

They just look really cool, also not just cons, vans and nannystate and a few others are just as good.

I don't get the hating on brown shoes for going out in the evening.
    My fault. I made reference to the rules of satorial ettiquette and how brown shoes were the shoes of the country squire/bumpkin who would not be 'up' on the dress codes of the well healed and would be recognised by his innapropiate footwear worn as eveningwear. :)

I like the rules of ettiquette. They stem back to a time when people cared for their apparence more then they do now. Mass produced and disposable clothing has taken away all eligance and panache of tailored clothing. Wearing vans, cons, niks, addis, dunlos (or any other abriviated plimsol) with a suit just screams "WRONG!" at me.

A suit shold be sharp, clean lines, fitted. Wearing open necked shirts, half tied ties, runners, t-shirt, wellies, beanies or whatever some see as 'individual' with a suit to me just looks slovernly and lacks eligence.
    Why would you do that when you can achieve the same look with jeans and hoodies?

I'm not saying that there is no room for individulism or for breaking the rules of ettiquette or for making bold statments with your clothes but please please PLEASE don't make the exception become the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I've always really been not assed about my appearance but I have taken more of an interest recently with the gym and what to wear etc.

Anyway, what should always be in a man's wardrobe? How many pairs of jeans? How many pairs of shoes? Anything in particular which you think is important?
    depends on the man. I rarely wear suits, so only have 2. OG has 5!

I dont like cons or brown shoes, or black shoes though you need at least 1-2 pairs, I mainly wear Vans/DCs etc.

as for the tshirts, im currently wearing my fun zombie end of the world tshirt. i dont care if people think its odd that someone of my age wears it, i like it.

As a general rule, minimum is
    1 suit
    1 tracky (or whatever you work out in) + 1 pair running shoes/trainers!
    2 pairs jeans
    3 tshirts
    3 shirts
    2 jumpers/zip tops(not tracksuit tops!)/hoodie - what ever is your particular fancy.
    1 pair shoes
    1 pair comfortable runners

7 pairs underwear.
    14 pairs socks. (try to keep this to 2 distinct designs to allow for emergency matching, though not essential. who looks at socks?)

the last 2 are essential!

folan wrote: »
    OG has 5
    Actually have about 8 (9 if I can lose a few pounds) at the moment and my eye on two more but 5 would be (for me) a basic starter wardrobe. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

i'll tell you what you should have in the wardrobe. but pics or it's not going to happen :D:D

Advertisement