Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

found: iPhone. near Eyre Square in Galway

Options
  • 25-06-2011 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello,

My friends and I found an iPhone near Eyre Square yesterday evening. We checked with nearby businesses for anyone reporting it to no avail. It was found by the curb submerged in rainwater, though it seems to work fine.

It is a 16GB version.
    There is a part of a team's jersey as the wallpaper/background image.

Please PM me with the correct team and part of jersey in the image,
    with your SIM card network and/or phonenumber of the iPhone and
    we will arrange getting it back to you as soon as possible.

All the best,

Carcis

ed-
    if your not registered you can also just contact us through this:
    http://lost.ie/items/found-iphone-on-road-near-eyre-sq-galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

I'm confused. Just bring it to the phone shop of whatever network it's on and let them contact the owner. Strange the owner hasn't rang it though.

I'm confused. Just bring it to the phone shop of whatever network it's on and let them contact the owner. Strange the owner hasn't rang it though.

They wont though, well not all of them anyway. Friend of mine found found a phone a while back, the batt was dead so couldnt try to ring somebody in the phone book. He brought it to the phone shop and they said he might as well keep it as they will just throw it in a box of lost phones and they wont go looking for the owner.

OP why not find "home" on the phone and call it, almost everybody has there home number on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Fair play to you OP for trying to find it, maybe drop it into the Guards after a few days if nobody looks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fair play for posting about it OP, someone out there is probably not a happy camper after losing their precious phone.

I've removed some posts about trying to buy the phone. Not only is the phone not OP's to sell but boardsies trying to exploit someone's misfortune doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

Deffo recommend finding a number on the phone and ringing it. Maybe checking sent messages and ringing the last person who was text or the last person rang?

Unless the phone is password locked in which case best of luck OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

mitsuko045 wrote: »
    Deffo recommend finding a number on the phone and ringing it. Maybe checking sent messages and ringing the last person who was text or the last person rang?

Unless the phone is password locked in which case best of luck OP!

i would def go with this option, chances are the person isnt on boards. and wont see this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Carcis

recent posts:

Trying the phone and SIM for numbers was the very first thing I did. And I'm assuming that if the person who lost it did use boards, there may have well been a thread about it well before I made this one.

The phone doesn't recognise the SIM. One or the other may be water damaged. It is possible that the SIM could be new or something, the number seems similar to the new ones they have in the shops. Otherwise that this person had either a great memory for numbers, or no friends or family to ring. The lack of response would suggest the latter but we'll see what happens. Being near the tourist information office, hotel, coach station, and Eyre Sq, there's a high probability that it belongs to a tourist or business person - who may not even know which county it which it became lost.

As said above, I don't believe handing it in to a phone shop will do much good. And I also believe the Gardai have more important things to be doing than helping people find their iPhones!

That said, I would hope that whoever owns this phone appreciates the time I've put into getting it back to them safe and sound (and that they fit my assumptions that he/she can read and possess enough computer skills to send me an e-mail, or at least know someone who can).

Since it was found, I've put up two notices in the area I found it, a listing on lost.ie and this very thread. Upon searching the terms Lost iPhone Galway into google, there is a high chance the person will find my attempts to return it.

If you have any other suggestions for getting the word out I'm all ears.

Carcis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

So...

you selling this thing yet or what?

I'd rather give it back to it's owner.

I'll keep an eye on it for a month. That should give the person who lost it ample time to contact us, or any of the business near were it was found.

Failing that, I don't know what to do with it, so we'll see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Carcis wrote: »
    I'd rather give it back to it's owner.

I'll keep an eye on it for a month. That should give the person who lost it ample time to contact us, or any of the business near were it was found.

Failing that, I don't know what to do with it, so we'll see what happens.

Bit odd that no one has rang it. You may as well bring it into O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

melb wrote: »
    Bit odd that no one has rang it. You may as well bring it into O2.
    OP already told us that this is pointless, as explained by the people on the O2 shop. The mod also explained to stop asking OP to sell the phone. Any more questions?

Carcis, put a thread in the iphone forum. They may know more about how to access info on it. Also o2 and vodafone etc has forums you can ask in here
    It's most likely registered somehow as it's an expensive phone. The phone shop could probably track the owner through the imei number?

The Owner has been contacted! Hora!
    I will be returning the phone back in the mail tomorrow morning!
    Thanks for all the help guys.

The following is how it all happened if you care to read on. I forewarn you it is a long and resentful account.

I've had the found iphone's SIM card in another phone of the same network these past 2 days and finally there was a messege recieved ment for the Owner. Upon sending a polite respose explaining the situation and requesting that the message-sender contact the Owner of the iPhone somehow to let him know it has been found.

A while later I recieved a call on the same phone, from the Owner.

He was rude and accusitory in tone, as if he blamed me for stealing his phone. He then lightened his mood and demanded why I hadn't contacted the Gardai about it. However, he then told me that he lost it on a stag night, and that today he resigned his hopes, that it was gone for good. At this point I expected his tone to change, but he remained thick and ungrateful.

I asked for an address to send it to, but he hesitated and asked me to send it to a garda station nearby addressed to his name.

I later wondered what kind of 'upper-hand' he must have thought he had by not informing me of his actual address - when all the information he had from me was his own mobile number!

So I said I could mail the phone by post. He didn't seem to comprehend that that would actually cost me money, or if he did, he didn't understand why it would be rude not to pay it himself. I'll actually have to call him tomorrow and see if I can at least get the cost of postage from him.

It seems like expecting some form of gratitude, verbal or otherwise, is out of the question.

Truth be told I felt like taking that SIM card out and stomping it to bits, then claiming the phone as my own and selling it at the closest pawn-shop to pay my next two months rent. Wouldn't that be nice? However, I played some GTA IV a killed lots of civilians and cops (whom I dubbed as the Owner) instead. That felt sadistically satisfying, but only for a short time.

Pity his phone is locked or I would have loved to surprise him with a wallpaper background photo of my cock and balls.

You are all helpful, kind peoples. Thank you all for your apt and wise suggestions. Its is probably the most amount of thought anyone has ever given this man... based on the impression of gave me.

Resentfully and humiliatedly peeved,
    Carcis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

OP it's commendable that you tried to get the phone back to the owner. However, in light of the fact that the owner seems to be a complete wanker, I would advise keeping said phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

You know what they say, OP, no good deed goes unpunished! :(

(Although they also say virtue is its own reward? :pac:)

What an ungrateful bollix, I'd be over the moon if someone found my lost phone.

Maybe hold on to the phone a few more days and let him sweat.
    Of course he might think you're a scammer of sorts trying to get his address but that doesn't make sense. Just can't please some people :/

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

what a very sad response to a honest action, no way would he get his phone off me as it would be lost in the non registered post he didnt pay for, the Jack and Jill foundation would get it first and he'd get the receipt 6 months later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, well done on finding the owner of the phone.

There is no excuse for the poor attitude of the owner, though the correct thing to do initially would have been as he suggested - hand it to the Gardai. If you'd done so you'd have saved postage and he'd have got his phone sooner. Correct procedures are correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Fair play to you OP for trying to find it, maybe drop it into the Guards after a few days if nobody looks for it.

waheey new iphone for garda mick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP, well done on finding the owner of the phone.

There is no excuse for the poor attitude of the owner, though the correct thing to do initially would have been as he suggested - hand it to the Gardai. If you'd done so you'd have saved postage and he'd have got his phone sooner. Correct procedures are correct!

Not always true - sometimes the Gardai have more important things on this list of stuff to do than track down the owner of a phone, they would only have checked once (maybe twice) to see if there was any report of missing phone, if no report...no need to check again (too much effort).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

after a response like that from the owner, id take great satisfaction in launching the phone by catapult into Galway bay.

Would be good if he had the Find my Iphone app and saw its signal from the shipping lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Tell him ifound, iphoned and now ikeep.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hope you get reimbursed for that expensive packaging, registered post and insurance. iPhones have notoriously fragile screens, you certainly wouldn't want to send it in a regular white envelope, you couldn't trust an post not to lose it either.

Such a shame that doing a good thing has ended with you feeling a bit like the bad-guy. Good on you all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What a dickhead. Don't send it until you get paid for postage OP. The very least he should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I would take great pleasure in smashing it with a hammer, taking pics of it after each hit and sending them to him.

Drop it in to Mill Street today. Text him that he can make his own way there somehow to pick up the phone.

Well done OP on being the nice guy in this situation, many others would have not gone trough all this trouble I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

As mentioned already, give it to the Jack and Jill foundation. How ignorant some people can be. At least someone will appreciate your efforts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

philboy wrote: »
    As mentioned already, give it to the Jack and Jill foundation. How ignorant some people can be. At least someone will appreciate your efforts then.
    While this may appear to be the most just thing to do in light of the owner's poor attitude, it could land the OP in a lot of trouble as he is not the owner of the phone.
    OP - I wouldn't bother posting it to the owner. I'd follow Biko's advice. You will be covered then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

the correct thing to do initially would have been as he suggested - hand it to the Gardai. If you'd done so you'd have saved postage and he'd have got his phone sooner. Correct procedures are correct!

I agree with this, although in my experience, the guards don't usually keep things like this. They usually take your name, and if someone contacts them, they put them in touch with you. AFAIK, the law states that if they haven't contacted you after a year and a day, it's yours.
    biko wrote: »
    Drop it in to Mill Street today. Text him that he can make his own way there somehow to pick up the phone.

I'd agree with this. You mentioned OP, that he wanted it sent to a garda station near where he lives. Hopefully it's far away - then you tell him that you'll drop it into a garda station near where you live. Tell him that you would have done as he asked, only he was being such a bollix about it he can put himself out now.

Hope this unappreciative, ignorant response doesn't prevent you doing the right thing again! It can make a person lose their faith in the benefit of kindness when this is what results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

or a PSNI station or New South Wales police

Advertisement