Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Illegal Immigrant

Options
  • 25-06-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello, I would like to know if anyone here knows exactly where to report an illegal immigrant in ireland?

I looked on the GNIB website but did not see any reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Hello, I would like to know if anyone here knows exactly where to report an illegal immigrant in ireland?

I would have thought that it would be Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) at Burgh Quay, Dublin 2. They won't be able to deport him/her immediately even if they do investigate the matter so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Edit Actually, on second thoughts, I think it is actually the GNIB...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

Nothing on the GNIB website as far as I could see.. guess the local garda station might help

I thought ireland would have a border force type unit like the UK? Seems to be no clear way to report illegals say like the way one can report social welfare fraud online or over the phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cescfab2011

i wouldnt bother reporting to the gardai to be honest,unless ur prepared to hold there hands and bring them directly to the immigrants,personally id keep away from the gardai,<<Mod offensive remark delete>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

i wouldnt bother reporting to the gardai to be honest,unless ur prepared to hold there hands and bring them directly to the immigrants,personally id keep away from the gardai <mod snip>

Heres an article that was released recently which pretty much explains that whole episode : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rape- claims-were-hurled-at-gardai-by- protesters-2800104.html

OP you need to contact your local GNIB office, they're usually based in the local District or Divisional HQ. You'll find numbers in the state section of the phone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Tel: +353 1 6669130/01

E-mail: gnib_dv@garda.ie

They are based in Burgh Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i wouldnt bother reporting to the gardai to be honest,unless ur prepared to hold there hands and bring them directly to the immigrants,personally id keep away from the gardai,last time Mod deletion:

You signed up just for that? That's kinda sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

foinse wrote: »
    Heres an article that was released recently which pretty much explains that whole episode : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rape- claims-were-hurled-at-gardai-by- protesters-2800104.html

Sorry, I know this is OT but that explains a lot. Doesn't excuse the conversation on tape but contextualises it a bit. As usual, the protesters only release the bit of tape that sensationalises things... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I know this is OT but that explains a lot. Doesn't excuse the conversation on tape but contextualises it a bit. As usual, the protesters only release the bit of tape that sensationalises things... :rolleyes:

I'm not getting into this on this thread. There's already plenty of threads on boards on this topic.I was simply responding to an outlandish comment from a poster, who now that I can see their post count is obviously a troll.

thanks to all that replied, especially Cesc Troll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Are you absolutely sure s/he illegal?
    i wouldnt bother reporting to the gardai to be honest,unless ur prepared to hold there hands and bring them directly to the immigrants,personally id keep away from the gardai,last time i seen them on the news they were threatning to rape 2 women protesters

They didn't threaten anyone. They made a joke in private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What country is the Illegal Immigrant from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

:(

how on earth do you know the person is illegal?that aside,thank God most Americans dont snitch on the 1000's of your fellow countrymen who have taken up residence in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Has s/he done something to upset you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

All the OP said was what number do you use to report. At no stage did they say there was an illegal they were going to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

Zambia wrote: »
    All the OP said was what number do you use to report. At no stage did they say there was an illegal they were going to report.

So what do you reckon he needs the number for:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acme4242

unless you have a serious personal grudge, you have little to do with your time
    try and live a positive life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

I would report. Its not knives in the back. There are plenty of genuine immigrants and asylum seekers who are going through the correct process to stay in this country. This is how it should be done. Illegals are beyond the law and not accountable. So if they are working in the black economy they are not paying taxes and are taking a job from someone who has a right to work here. If they commit a crime they will be harder to detect and brought to book. What if they are murders or sex offenders or drug dealers ?? We have enough of our own criminal element without importing more, especially ones who are next to impossible to detect.

ostrich wrote: »
    So what do you reckon he needs the number for:confused:
    That's their business

acme4242 wrote: »
    unless you have a serious personal grudge, you have little to do with your time
    try and live a positive life.

That's all well and good until you are te victim of a crime and there is no records of the offender as they are here illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Zambia wrote: »
    That's their business
    Negative.
    it stopped being just his business when he posted on an internet forum.
    Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    That's all well and good until you are te victim of a crime and there is no records of the offender as they are here illegally.
    :eek: what are you talking about? its not like people who overstay in a country dont have finger prints.

• Advertisement

:eek: what are you talking about? its not like people who overstay in a country dont have finger prints.

Yes but unless they're here legally their prints won't be on record, every immigrant and refugee who comes into the country from outside the EU, and through the proper channels has their fingerprints taken.

Those that don't go through proper channels, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

foinse wrote: »
    Yes but unless they're here legally their prints won't be on record, every immigrant and refugee who comes into the country from outside the EU, and through the proper channels has their fingerprints taken.

Those that don't go through proper channels, don't.

Every asylum seeker who comes into Ireland has their fingerprints taken and checked against the EURODAC database, to ensure that they have not made an asylum application in another country. Immigrants who come in on any other basis, do not have their fingerprints taken as a general rule so the question of fingerprints is irrelevant.

A database of fingerprints for all immigrants is a short step away from a database of fingerprits for all. I don't think I'd be too keen on that.

Negative.

He asked for a number, not anything else.

old_aussie wrote: »
    What country is the Illegal Immigrant from?

China.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure s/he illegal?

100% yes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

China.
    They are students usually.

Negative.

Who mentioned fingerprints? There are many other ways to solve crimes, made much more difficult by someone living under a false identity or off the grid completely.

This person is NOT a student, they run a business and have overstayed their visa.

Thanks for the replies all I wanted was contact information not to be judged.

This person is NOT a student, they run a business and have overstayed their visa.

Thanks for the replies all I wanted was contact information not to be judged.

If you live in Dublin you can call GNIB on 01 666 9130. If you live in the country contact the immigration officer at the local Garda District or Divisional headquarters.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sean, I will do that on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement