Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Anthrax Song - Fight em till you can't

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

Saw a few live vids , loving this more polished version , hope its played at sonisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not as good as the version they played live when John Bush came back. Less melodic and less heavy.

A lot less heavy and a hell of a lot less aggressive than the first version of the song with Dan Nelson singing.

To my ears it is like this studio version has taken the John Bush fronted version and added in a State Of Euphoria feel to it.

As someone who has been listening to Anthrax since the early to mid 80's, this is the first Anthrax album that I am not expecting a lot from beforehand. Hope I am proven wrong and that I get blown away by the album when it comes out, but I keep thinking that Belladonna being back will limit the band musically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The opening riff is a rip off from Persistence of Time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Not impressed tbh.

seachto7 wrote: »
    The opening riff is a rip off from Persistence of Time.......

Yep, rips off some of Gridlock from that album.

What the song has done though is get me to put on State Of Euphoria for the first time in ages. Damn it is still a fine album when played loud. :D

Am hoping that a special edition of it, similar to the Among The Living one from a few years back, gets released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I enjoyed that tbh. Sounds like old school Anthrax which is never a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

lord lucan wrote: »
    I enjoyed that tbh. Sounds like old school Anthrax which is never a bad thing.

Couldn't agree more!

I have no idea why Joey calls it the Vampire song before the band play it live.

Kind of obvious that it is about a Zombie outbreak.

Just me having another little stab at Belladonna. :D

The more i listen to this track the more excited i am about the new album. Roll on September 12th.:)

The more i listen to this track the more excited i am about the new album. Roll on September 12th.:)

It's growing on me a little with Belladonna singing. I still think his voice is nowhere near as good as it was, and I am still finding it hard to get used to this song with him on it after loving the version that John Bush really put his mark on.

I'll buy the album, but as I am not expecting a whole lot from it, I hope it ends up kicking my ass.

• Advertisement

Another new song,"The Devil You Know" was premiered on US radio a few days ago. This poor quality recording is the best i can find.

Given it a few listens now,quite catchy. More hard rock than thrash,it's got a good hook to it. I'll reserve judgement until i hear a better quality version.

Now that really sounds like it was tailor made for a voice like that of John Bush.

Will have to give it a few more listens though and with luck a better quality version will raise it's head soon.

First review i've found of the new album:http://www.bravewords.com/news/167807

it's ok, not great though, would have been better with John Bush!

As am I. I'm my own worst enemy.:)

I said for months and months that I was a bit nonplussed about this release and that I was not expecting much, and now I am dying for it to be released.

I am refusing to find it anywhere to listen to it as I want the day I get the cd to be the first day I listen to the album in full.

Bast*rds may break me if it does not turn out to be a good un :D

Plus Testament have an album out later this year and Jane's Addiction have a new one two weeks after the Anthrax album.

The one old school band I am starting to not look forward to this autumn is Megadeth after hearing a couple of the new songs on an American Rock station online. Just sounded very generic and very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Bush is the best singer they had.

ush wrote: »

No arguements from me on that one, but I am still getting excited about the new album despite my earlier doses of meh about it.

Had Sound Of White Noise in the car with me this morning. Is still my favourite Anthrax album and I say this as someone who has been able to buy all their albums as they came out since Spreading The Disease (technically it was the Armed And Dangerous EP that got me into Anthrax in a big way as I missed Fistful Of Metal when it was released) in 1985.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I would say that Belladonna is up there with Bruce Dickinson as one of metal's truly amazing vocalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

You re having a laugh there Het. Saw The Big 4 this summer and Belladona was the weak link. Even allowing for Mustaine having a nightmare.

You re having a laugh there Het. Saw The Big 4 this summer and Belladona was the weak link. Even allowing for Mustaine having a nightmare.

Yeah saw him live not too long after he first came back, and then saw him front the band again during this term back, and the voice was struggling with some of stuff he originally sang on, let alone his attempts at singing Only. It is not for no reason that since he came back this time that the band have had to drop playing songs from the Bush albums save for Only.

I really don't think he is back for the long haul, and I have to admit I thought that Worship Music would never come out with him on vocals, so he has already lasted far longer than I expected.

It is a shame because there are plenty of songs from the Bush era that were brilliant live that have been totally dropped from the setlist since Belladonna returned. At least with Bush in the band, songs from any Anthrax album could be sang along with some cracking live covers of songs by the likes of Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, Lizzy etc.

It is not as though the original Belladonna era albumwise was bad in any way, because I was blown away by Among/State/Persistance when they came out, and Spreading is still a fun listen, but I felt the Bush albums saw the band grow and add to their sound which took them, for me anyway, to a higher level musically.

Belladonna is back, and just as Bush had big shoes to fill when Belladonna first left, Belladonna has even bigger vocal shoes to fill in the absence of John Bush.

I have gone off of Belladonna as a person and performer in a big way over the last 15 to 20 years, but I still hope he manages to do a great job on the new album because Anthrax are a band I grew up with, and I certainly want there to be a chance of more good Anthrax albums.

Think I'll stick on the latest Armored Saint album.........

Think I'll stick on the latest Armored Saint album.........

La Raza?

Thought it was a very inconsistent album that kinda fell between two stools in what it was trying to be. I think it suffered badly due to the band being apart for so long and from them all being involved in other projects, with the end product sounding like ideas were shoehorned together on certain songs.

Symbol Of Salvation is probably their best album by some distance, but March Of The Saint still holds up as an excellent debut album. I still have the cassette version of that from 1984 kicking about.:D

yup, la raza, I like the production, even though, as you say, the songs are a wee bit weak.......... I just like John Bush!!

yup, la raza, I like the production, even though, as you say, the songs are a wee bit weak.......... I just like John Bush!!

Yeah am very partial to his voice as well.

Who you might check out, if of course you have not already done so, is Joey Vera's solo stuff especially his stuff as A Chinese Firedrill.

He released the album Circles about 5 years ago, and everything you hear on the album is him. Bass, Drums, Guitar, vocals.

Bush was the voice of Armored Saint but I think there can be no arguement that Prichard (RIP) and Vera were the creative forces behind the band.

Not heard Vera's stuff, but he was filling in on bass when I saw Anthrax in the ambassador a good few years back now, maybe 6 or 7 years ago...

Not heard Vera's stuff, but he was filling in on bass when I saw Anthrax in the ambassador a good few years back now, maybe 6 or 7 years ago...

Yep he played with Anthrax for a year when Frankie Bello was out.

And another little bit of metal trivia for ya. Joey Vera was asked to try out for Metallica by Lars after Cliff Burton died, and John Buysh was asked to join Metallica twice, just before Kill Em All and again just before Ride The Lightning.

• Advertisement

can you imagine if Bush had joined Metallica? Always wonder what it would have sounded like........

Advertisement