Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to a 17 year old wannabe writer

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am sure if I searched and searched through the reams of forum threads here I would find something beneficial and perhaps slightly in line with my request, but honestly, who has the time?

Basically, my question is, do you have any tips for a 17 year old who loves writing, but just doesn't seem to have the spark to write magical verse, or the drive to finish any long project he begins?

Every summer I begin a new novel idea, not with the intention of it turning into a best seller, or even something worth sending to anyone, but more for the general enjoyment of it all! Unfortunately, I plan it, write the first chapter, and then a days break turns into a weeks break turns into back to school (and this year college) without having so much as novella written.

It seems like my love for writing fades when I really need it to flourish. Obviously writers block sets in, I go for walk, do the usual things and then, lose the desire to continue and either head for a book, or the TV.

So, any experienced writers out there (professional or casual) have any tips for me?

Much appreciated!

http://mcrdotcom.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/my-love-for-writing/ This is my blog and hopefully it conveys the reasons for my desperation to find the flame of desire once again!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'm not sure anyone can help you, especially with motivational issues. I am considerably older than yourself and the biggest problem I have, after finding time to write, is the motivation to do so. I find my writing comes in spurts. I could go (and have done) years without writing anything. Ideas are easy to me (except when put under pressure!) and tend to come to me out of nowhere - the shower, stuck in traffic, listening to the news! Putting them on paper is the hard part.

How do you feel about the quality of your writing? That is another big problem for me, I am not confident in my writing ability and often use this as an excuse to myself when I am battling against my laziness.

At 17 though you should have no end of time and the real question is how badly you actually want to start and finished something.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you sound like you're exactly where I was at that age and I continued in the same vein regarding motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The key thing is that when writing is hard, that's the most important time you should be writing. Everyone and their brother has a half-finished novel and a bunch of creative writing sketches lying around, but they won't finish themselves. You're on summer holidays now - there's no better time to start a daily writing habit. And daily is what you want to be aiming for.

Don't be afraid to write crap. No-one starts off a genius writer, and once you've written something you can very easily go back to it and edit it afterwards. In terms of longer work, even if you're not happy with the bulk of it there'll probably be a thing or two within it that makes you proud. Bad writing is infinitely better than no writing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

If you're having problems keeping the motivation for a novel, why not start smaller and write a few short stories? even based on your ideas for novels, then, once you have completed the short story, you can add more to it, but the act of completeing a few short stories might help gear you up for longer projects.

There is also the option of breaking down the work into smaller chunks, rather than thinking right, this summer I'll write a novel, think this summer I will write x amount of words a day (whether it's part of the novel or not, if you can;t think of ideas once day, just start writing about the room around you, your garden, etc etc) then at the end of the summer, you'll find that there is a good chunk of it written without any major stressing of "how the hell am i going to tackle somethign so big"

If you do start with the X amount of words a day, set something reasonable based on what you can write when you sit down to start something. Don't say, every day i will write 10,000 words if you struggle to write 200.
    you can also try build it up every day, so today you write 200, tomorrow 210, next day 220 and so on until you reach a thousand or two.

Also, try to write at teh same time every day, or at least, during the same time period, so always in the morning/afternoon/evening to help you build it into a habit. maybe even try to set alarms to remind you? you can also try rewarding yourself for writing, so you won't play any video games until you've written x amount of words, or you'll have some chocolate or then you can go out with freinds or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

CD. wrote: »
    If you're having problems keeping the motivation for a novel, why not start smaller and write a few short stories? even based on your ideas for novels, then, once you have completed the short story, you can add more to it, but the act of completeing a few short stories might help gear you up for longer projects.

There is also the option of breaking down the work into smaller chunks, rather than thinking right, this summer I'll write a novel, think this summer I will write x amount of words a day (whether it's part of the novel or not, if you can;t think of ideas once day, just start writing about the room around you, your garden, etc etc) then at the end of the summer, you'll find that there is a good chunk of it written without any major stressing of "how the hell am i going to tackle somethign so big"

If you do start with the X amount of words a day, set something reasonable based on what you can write when you sit down to start something. Don't say, every day i will write 10,000 words if you struggle to write 200.
    you can also try build it up every day, so today you write 200, tomorrow 210, next day 220 and so on until you reach a thousand or two.

Also, try to write at teh same time every day, or at least, during the same time period, so always in the morning/afternoon/evening to help you build it into a habit. maybe even try to set alarms to remind you? you can also try rewarding yourself for writing, so you won't play any video games until you've written x amount of words, or you'll have some chocolate or then you can go out with freinds or something along those lines.

Yea I suppose it would be a better idea. I am going interrailing in a week so I will have a lot of time on trains to come up with stuff!

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

I think The Mad Hatter hit the nail on the head. Just write, no matter how bad it seems. I was given a good tip before - write 15 minutes a day. No matter how busy you are or if you have writers block just do it. It's only 15minutes. If the words are flowing, great, keep going. If not, no big deal, 15 minutes isn't long!

Azeretti, I'm guessing its a while since you were 17! Because most 17-year-olds will not have 'no end of time' to write a novel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just write. Remember, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be on the paper.

Writing is a lot like training for a marathon. If you wait until you feel like going out and running, you'll never get there, you have to do it even when you don't feel like it. Don't wait for inspiration, just sit down and write.

Set aside a particular time each day when you will do nothing except write. It doesn't have to be prefect, or even good, it just has to be words. No phone, no internet, no reading, no television in this time. For most people, an hour a day works out close enough to 1000 words. Do that every day over the summer holidays and you've written the first draft of a full length novel.

Once you start something, keep going. Don't go back and correct. If you change plot lines halfway through, make a note of what needs fixing, but keep going with the new plot.

Most writers find they reach a point, often about half or two thirds of the way through, when they run out of ideas, what they have written looks pathetic, and there doesn't seem to be any point in continuing. This is where you need to grit your teeth and keep going. Sit down every day, put words on the screen/paper, and finish the damn thing. You'll often surprise yourself by how much better it looks then you were expecting.

EileenG wrote: »
    Just write. Remember, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be on the paper.

Writing is a lot like training for a marathon. If you wait until you feel like going out and running, you'll never get there, you have to do it even when you don't feel like it. Don't wait for inspiration, just sit down and write.

Set aside a particular time each day when you will do nothing except write. It doesn't have to be prefect, or even good, it just has to be words. No phone, no internet, no reading, no television in this time. For most people, an hour a day works out close enough to 1000 words. Do that every day over the summer holidays and you've written the first draft of a full length novel.

Once you start something, keep going. Don't go back and correct. If you change plot lines halfway through, make a note of what needs fixing, but keep going with the new plot.

Most writers find they reach a point, often about half or two thirds of the way through, when they run out of ideas, what they have written looks pathetic, and there doesn't seem to be any point in continuing. This is where you need to grit your teeth and keep going. Sit down every day, put words on the screen/paper, and finish the damn thing. You'll often surprise yourself by how much better it looks then you were expecting.

Yea that sounds like a good idea. I'll just force myself to put something down. Thanks

niceview wrote: »

Azeretti, I'm guessing its a while since you were 17! Because most 17-year-olds will not have 'no end of time' to write a novel!

What!? At 17, during the summer, I had no responsibilities, worked about 20 hours a week, played golf for another 40, and went on the piss the rest of the time. All my mates were the same. I could easily have given an hour or two a day to writing if I had the motivation. I could barely set aside an hour a week now to write.

17 years olds have nothing but time, they choose to waste it doing fun stuff!

azzeretti wrote: »
    What!? At 17, during the summer, I had no responsibilities, worked about 20 hours a week, played golf for another 40, and went on the piss the rest of the time. All my mates were the same. I could easily have given an hour or two a day to writing if I had the motivation. I could barely set aside an hour a week now to write.

17 years olds have nothing but time, they choose to waste it doing fun stuff!

I don't work 20 hours a week, I don't play Golf and I certainly don't go on the piss the rest of the time.

Although I appreciate the advice, I do not appreciate being labelled with untrue stereotypes!

As it happens, I decided to spend the summer after my Leaving Cert travelling around Europe in the hope of bettering myself and learning some things about life! I would love to spend my days writing and putting my mind at work, because that is the type of person I am. Unlike your generalisation, I don't just want to have 'fun' as you put it, nor do I enjoy 'wasting my time'.

Please do not tell me whether I have buckets of time or not, because from June 28th on wards, I will have a few hours every 2-3 days to write and that is all.

Again, I appreciate any advice, but that just annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

mcrdotcom wrote: »
    Unlike your generalisation, I don't just want to have 'fun' as you put it, nor do I enjoy 'wasting my time'.

You're 17, OP. If you're not focussed on having fun then you're doing something wrong.

For what it's worth, I went InterRailing when I was 17 and it was the single greatest experience of my life. Hope you have a good trip :)

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    You're 17, OP. If you're not focussed on having fun then you're doing something wrong.

For what it's worth, I went InterRailing when I was 17 and it was the single greatest experience of my life. Hope you have a good trip :)

Thanks! Hope it is! And obviously I want to have fun, but I tend to find enjoyment in more intellectually based ways, like writing!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't work 20 hours a week, I don't play Golf and I certainly don't go on the piss the rest of the time.

Although I appreciate the advice, I do not appreciate being labelled with untrue stereotypes!

As it happens, I decided to spend the summer after my Leaving Cert travelling around Europe in the hope of bettering myself and learning some things about life! I would love to spend my days writing and putting my mind at work, because that is the type of person I am. Unlike your generalisation, I don't just want to have 'fun' as you put it, nor do I enjoy 'wasting my time'.

Please do not tell me whether I have buckets of time or not, because from June 28th on wards, I will have a few hours every 2-3 days to write and that is all.

What I wouldn't give for a few hours every 2-3 months! :)

What I wouldn't give for a few hours every 2-3 months! :)

Haha suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I've never been one to force motivation. I can go for months without writing a word.

When I find an idea I like, I sit down and write until the story is finished. It's the most fun I ever had - 'cause I'm just that cool.

If you're unmotivated about a project, jack it in and wait til something better comes along. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I don't think you should get annoyed by that. I think the point is that, for a typical 17 year old, you have time which you can choose to use pretty much as you wish. Interrailing is a good example. At your age, between school and college, you have short days and long holidays. As people get older and have families and full-time jobs, they simply couldn't just decide that they were going to travel around Europe for a month. I don't think it's insulting; it's just the way things work.

Honestly, I think the best advice at your age - along with actually just sitting down and writing something - is to read good literature, lots of it, and to study it closely. Every novel you pick up should be a learning experience - that to me is an indispensable part of a writer's education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I'm 17 too and I've written 7+ 200 A4 page books and am writing a pretty large and expansive book right now at the moment which I am 1/3rd of the way through in a year and a half. Sometimes I just sit down and write, write write but other times I just experience a period of stagnation for a long time where I forgo writing, but I'm not entirely idle as I'm developing ideas, plots etc. during that time. I do this deliberately so I then have the inspiration, the "spark" to write when I eventually come to it.

Its pretty difficult to stay with a project, but I generally have a long attention span and when I put my mind to something, I do it. I just want to write! I love it! Plus I am motivated in a way by my experience at writing by this stage, I mean, I've written stuff before and that certainly helps with inspiration and imagination..plus, most of the books/stories I've written probably won't see the light of day so i can just re-use stuff from those without repercussions.

You should just write some short and disposable stuff first before you embark on your magnus opus and then the spark should just come to you. Plus, read to write. You should read a lot of stuff first too as well as writing your own stuff, it helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Here's what works for me. Tell someone you will have a chapter done by a certain date and you'll let them read it. Trust me, you may put it off until the last minute but with a day or so to go you will type like crazy to get those few pages done.

Right - you need to get yourself around the Dutch capital on your travels and relax. I wasn't directing anything at you, if you read my post I say "at 17 I was doing...." The reality is that when you get to fulltime employment with a family the commitments that come with that means there is little or no time to write. At 17 most people don't have these commitments and can afford to use their unaccounted for time for other things.

Also:
    Unlike your generalisation, I don't just want to have 'fun' as you put it, nor do I enjoy 'wasting my time'.

My advice to you on this is: have as much fun as you can and waste as much time as you can at 17. Believe me, when you reach your 30's you will wish you had. I am not talking about being reckless but the old adage - "Youth is wasted on the young" rings through. (I realise this sounds like I am talking down to you in a patronising manner, but that isn't my intention. Seriously, at 17 you should be enjoying yourself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Basically, my question is, do you have any tips for a 17 year old who loves writing...

So, any experienced writers out there (professional or casual) have any tips for me?!!!

Never, ever start something new while in the middle of another piece. You're only kidding yourself. Anyone can start a book or a play then leave it unfinished and start something new. A writer finishes it, then rewrites it over again and again and again. Then, when they have enough rejection slips to wallpaper their bedroom, they start all over again. It's a life's work, full of pain and hardship, it never gets easier and it will break your heart and crush you at times. But what a life to lead...

naasrd wrote: »
    Never, ever start something new while in the middle of another piece. You're only kidding yourself.

I've completed two novel length works and I have written numerous short stories while writing those. I am currently writing three novels, which I find I can switch back and forth depending on how I feel so if I am not inspired by one, I can work on one of the other two.

Just because it might take you longer does not me you cannot start something new. if anything it can help by giving you a break and allowing you to approach it from a new perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

What about 10 minutes a day instead? That way you can tell yourself you wrote every day. Even in the busiest day, it's possible to find 10 minutes.

Another idea, by contrast, is just to keep writing while you feel the enthusiasm. If you're feeling the idea sparking in your head, don't sit on it too long. Let your passion carry you through the first draft.

It's after that that the real fun, editing and drafting begins.

Best wishes,

Derbhile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I've completed two novel length works and I have written numerous short stories while writing those. I am currently writing three novels, which I find I can switch back and forth depending on how I feel so if I am not inspired by one, I can work on one of the other two.

Just because it might take you longer does not me you cannot start something new. if anything it can help by giving you a break and allowing you to approach it from a new perspective.

Which is why you're not a professional writer and I am...

Link to your work please, naasrd.

No, I am not a professional writer, yet. I am in college, getting a degree in English and Classical Studies.

If you must know I have sent off manuscripts to about ten agents. First rejection letter at 14. Just because I have written a lot does not mean I have tried very hard to get it published.

I have not sent things to many agents mostly due to laziness. I look up agents and get bogged down by how many I find and the process of narrowing it down along with organising everything is too much.

I have self published, (and no, I don't care what people think of that really, no, I don't count it as me being a published author.) one of the novels I completed and am editing the other so I can put it up before the end of the month.

If you wish to judge the quality of my work you can visit my blog in my link, which contains numerous short stories (39 I believe as I post them 3 times a week).

In total, over 2500 copies of my work has been downloaded (mostly my collection of short stories.) In one month of self publication on Amazon, I am quite happy with that.

As I have shared my over all experience with writing and how I am going about things, would you care to do the same?

You don't have to be professional to be prolific.

Also, what age are you/did you become a professional writer?
    after all, I am still young, I have plenty of time.

Edit: I am aware that tone of voice can be hard to detect in forums posts and the like, just to clarify, this is not an attack or me trying to instigate a fight. this is genuine curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Supportive.

Surely as a professional writer, you more than anyone are aware that every writer is different?

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    every writer is different

I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

if anything it can help by giving you a break and allowing you to approach it from a new perspective.

This. Not everyone can switch between works, and that's fine, but many can. I like to constantly have a first draft on the go; while I'm editing one book, I still make sure I have time for another. For me, a switch between genres helps a great deal if I'm getting bogged down with a story. Going back after a couple of days gives me a fresh look. If I stick to one story only, I tend to get obsessive and block myself from progressing. :o Also a proud self-publisher here btw. CD, you should check out Dean Wesley Smith's blog if you haven't already. He's scarily prolific.

Maybe I misunderstood naasrd's post, but if I stuck to one story at a time, then I would be sitting twiddling my thumbs while I'm letting it cool, or sending it to beta readers or an editor. That doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

As for the OP, there comes a point when you have to prioritise writing and make time for it. You tend to get busier as you get older, but there are some things more important to you than others. See how much time you can really give to writing. As someone else said, even ten minutes is worth it. It takes time and a lot of writing. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Dublin141 wrote: »
    check out Dean Wesley Smith's blog if you haven't already. He's scarily prolific.

I looked at that once; the guy is clearly a shameless hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I would say the most important thing is simply to write as much as you can and never stop. I stopped writing for over ten years and getting back into it was long and painful. When I was young, I got hung up on not having a process and I gave up. I agree that every writer is different, and every writer has their own process. Write as much as you can, read as much as you can, and let your process evolve naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Spend less time on boards.

Advertisement