Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

https://www.beer52.com

A selection of 8 craft beers delivered (to Parcel Motel, AddressPal, Parcel Wizard etc) for £2.95. If you absolutely love the beers and the idea of paying circa €30 per month for 8 beers you keep the subscription going, if not you cancel before the next monthly case is shipped out but beware you can only cancel by phone so you need to be strong and assertive when cancelling otherwise you'll succumb to some "special" deal or other they will no doubt offer you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of those services accept alcohol

L1011 wrote: »
    None of those services accept alcohol

I beg to differ. Parcel Motel delivered my case yesterday.

Maybe they are not supposed to but they 100% did and it's not like the box was in any way disguised, it screams "Beer52" on the side as you can see.

Beer521540564348.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Funny to see you recommend Powers just below your post when Powers/Paddy is what I consider paint stripper.

I accept your challenge and picked up a bottle of Tullamore Dew for €23 and Dunnes today to have back to back with Bushmills white label.

The nose on the Tullamore is lovely, I'll concede that much. Rounded, sweet, vanilla, and a little fruit. Very easy drinking, sweet, with a gentle lingering finish. Don't get me wrong, I like it's approachability and think it's a great intro whiskey I used to purchase quite a bit.

Bushmills has a more aggressive nose, a stronger bite that erupts with pepper and spice and a long tangy finish. Black Bush is the smooth and more complex big brother but built upon the same foundation.

To me Bushmills is much more interesting while Tullamore gets boring. Yes absolutely to each their own. Cheers!

Great post, I wouldn't be a fan of either whiskey but I was at a wedding in Belfast where I drank Bushmills so anytime I drink it now it reminds me of a great weekend up North where I took in a match on the Friday night, wedding on the Saturday and a great car journey home with 3 friends. I was also in Offaly for a Clare league hurling match in the late 90s, we had a great night and ended up in 1 of the Dooley brothers house where a bottle of Tullamore and a fiddle were produced, 1 of the best nights I ever had so any time I drink Tullamore I'm brought back to them.

To quote a great friend of mine who doesn't drink "you worry about what you're drinking and I'll worry about I'm drinking"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I beg to differ. Parcel Motel delivered my case yesterday.

Maybe they are not supposed to but they 100% did and it's not like the box was in any way disguised, it screams "Beer52" on the side as you can see.

Beer521540564348.jpg

Not noticing != accepting.

Read the T&Cs, it is explicitly disallowed.

https://www.parcelmotel.com/terms/

The same applies to all the forwarders. They are not willing to get involved in your customs mess should you get found.

• Advertisement

Read the T&Cs, it is explicitly disallowed.

https://www.parcelmotel.com/terms/

I used Parcel Wizard not Parcel Motel and I don't see where they make any reference to Alcohol in their T&C's.
    The same applies to all the forwarders.

Maybe not??
    They are not willing to get involved in your customs mess should you get found.

Ah sure what's the worst that would happen? Parcel Motel refuse to accept and return it or they accept it, pay some customs on my behalf or require me to pay whatever is due and then release the case to me? Not much drama really. Happens all the time if I order a Chinese phone.

Looking on the bright side I have to say some of the beers are quite good, I never had Mocha Porter from Northern Monk Brew Co before and have to say it's delicious.

Perhaps the reason Parcel Wizard allowed the case through is to test how frictionless trade will work post Brexit :p

It's certainly brightened up my Saturday evening for a grand total of €7 :D

Ah sure what's the worst that would happen? Parcel Motel refuse to accept and return it or they accept it, pay some customs on my behalf or require me to pay whatever is due and then release the case to me? Not much drama really. Happens all the time if I order a Chinese phone.:D

It gets destroyed, although the sender will still have to refund you - they will likely cancel every order from then on. There is no mechanism to pay the duty.

As goes Parcel Wizard, they will not carry an item restricted by law which alcohol is. The list states it isn't exhaustive. Your rights to personally import alcohol from other EU countries require you to travel with it, it cannot come by post, courier or forwarder.

I suspect there's a certain level of not giving a toss on behalf of the forwarders, but should it be a day Customs are in taking a look (and they do) they'll hand it over for destruction without fuss and point you to the T&Cs

but should it be a day Customs are in taking a look (and they do) they'll hand it over for destruction without fuss and point you to the T&Cs

Not exactly a "customs mess" so. Good to know the downside is so trivial.

Think I'll order another case and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL have 2 for 28e on smirnoff, gordons and capt morgans.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

https://www.beer52.com

A selection of 8 craft beers delivered (to Parcel Motel, AddressPal, Parcel Wizard etc) for £2.95. If you absolutely love the beers and the idea of paying circa €30 per month for 8 beers you keep the subscription going, if not you cancel before the next monthly case is shipped out but beware you can only cancel by phone so you need to be strong and assertive when cancelling otherwise you'll succumb to some "special" deal or other they will no doubt offer you.

Do any Irish companies do anything like this? So many Irish craft beers available and could throw in the odd international beer. I'm guessing it wouldn't be financially viable due to lack of interest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A neighbour of m ok be regularly gets beer delivered from BoxBeers without issue, they are Danish and do a nice range.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

Do any Irish companies do anything like this? So many Irish craft beers available and could throw in the odd international beer. I'm guessing it wouldn't be financially viable due to lack of interest

https://www.thebeerclub.ie/collections/membership-plans-1

https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/the-irish-craft-beer-club/

https://www.obrienswine.ie/beers/beers/beer-club/beer-club-3-month-subscription.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Got 2 bottles of Smirnoff 1ltr for €40 in Tesco now that's a bargain.

Pity the heino was 24 for €24 and most of the others were €20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I used Parcel Wizard not Parcel Motel and I don't see where they make any reference to Alcohol in their T&C's.

Maybe not??

Ah sure what's the worst that would happen? Parcel Motel refuse to accept and return it or they accept it, pay some customs on my behalf or require me to pay whatever is due and then release the case to me? Not much drama really. Happens all the time if I order a Chinese phone.

Looking on the bright side I have to say some of the beers are quite good, I never had Mocha Porter from Northern Monk Brew Co before and have to say it's delicious.

Perhaps the reason Parcel Wizard allowed the case through is to test how frictionless trade will work post Brexit :p

It's certainly brightened up my Saturday evening for a grand total of €7 :D

Seriously lad, if you want to keep getting away with your deliveries, posting about it on a public forum is about the worst thing you can do. Keep it under the radar! All of the companies I used to get booze from on the continent have now stopped delivering here, presumably due to Customs attention.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not sure if this is NI wide or not but 660ml bombers of BrewDog Clockwork Tangerine and Electric India saison were £1.50 in Tesco today. Brewed last month so not shortdated or anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not sure if this is NI wide or not but 660ml bombers of BrewDog Clockwork Tangerine and Electric India saison were £1.50 in Tesco today. Brewed last month so not shortdated or anything.
    Zeitgeist too. Bought one in Portadown at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ketel One Vodka 70Cl
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261080752

Special OfferSAVE 12.00 Was 40.00 Now 28.00
    valid from 31/10/2018 until 27/11/2018

many of the flavoured absoluts are 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Got 2 bottles of Smirnoff 1ltr for €40 in Tesco now that's a bargain.

Pity the heino was 24 for €24 and most of the others were €20

Dunnes still doing the 2 bottles for €50 - Smirknoff 1ltr, Cork Gin 1ltr, 70mls: Bombay Sapphire, Jameson , Captain Morgan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

My Mrs drinks Bailey's & reckons it's on offer somewhere this week. Anyone know where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

ffm wrote: »
    My Mrs drinks Bailey's & reckons it's on offer somewhere this week. Anyone know where?

€10 for a 70cl bottle in Tesco

GristlyEnd wrote: »
    €10 for a 70cl bottle in Tesco

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ffm wrote: »
    Thanks.

was sold out in my tesco. I plan on going early as it ends soon.

rubadub wrote: »
    was sold out in my tesco. I plan on going early as it ends soon.

Ok. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Red Breast still £31 in Sainsbury's in Sprucefield NI yesterday.

466258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

gandalf wrote: »
    Red Breast still £31 in Sainsbury's in Sprucefield NI yesterday.

466258.jpg

Feck I’d love to pick up a bottle of that! Not worth the drive from Dublin for 1 tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hogzy wrote: »
    Feck I’d love to pick up a bottle of that! Not worth the drive from Dublin for 1 tho

Buy the lot then! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

why are people posting bargains on booze from NI? Compared to the Republic it's always going to come across as a bargain. Granted it's only a an hour or so drive for some, by the same rationale you could post prices from places in London :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

but you can't drive to London....

unless of course you're also getting the boat : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Because it's a very straightforward drive up to Belfast from Dublin.

Advertisement