Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not really. It's all about personal preference. Whether us beer snobs like it or not, most people prefer bland inoffensive beer, doesn't make it a bad beer though.

I'd argue it is, in the same way a bland steak is not a good steak.

In the context of this thread, no one is clicking here to find cheap slabs of Bud and Coors, and I'd include Guinness in that lot too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd say Guinness is simply average.

It wouldn't really be fair to say that it's bad, there's not much actually wrong with it. It's just not really very good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    And you're entitled to argue that, although it doesn't say you're correct. ;)

In the context of this thread, no one is clicking here to find cheap slabs of Bud and Coors, and I'd include Guinness in that lot too.
    Eh maybe, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Plenty of people eat steak well done though. Not everyone drinks beer to have a taste 'experience'. Plenty drink it for refreshment, for a buzz or to wash down their greasy BBQ ribs. Im sure there are enthusiasts of fancy lemonade who are aghast at people drinking 7up too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

drumswan wrote: »
    Plenty of people eat steak well done though. Not everyone drinks beer to have a taste 'experience'. Plenty drink it for refreshment, for a buzz or to wash down their greasy BBQ ribs. Im sure there are enthusiasts of fancy lemonade who are aghast at people drinking 7up too.

7up doesn't claim to be lemonade, to be fair. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is bland not a bad quality?

Depends on the drinker I suppose. For Paddy who intends on shovelling away 15 pints of a Friday night, bland is probably a good thing! I'd regard a 'bad' beer as one that tends towards undrinkable. I'm not really a draught Guinness drinker (Foreign Extra more my style really), but I'd hardly call it bad - I'd have no problem drinking it if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ninja900 wrote: »
    Guinness Extra Stout is a much nicer beer than Guinness Draught.

I had a Dark Arts Porter recently, wasn't impressed, I would have preferred a GES to it.

Edit: the only time I've ever seen GES on offer is at Christmas in Dunnes or Tesco with a slab of 24 offer. Normally you can expect to pay well over 2 euro for a can or bottle, which is too much for what it is and is rather galling when you often see multipacks of draught Guinness going for 1.50 a can on offer.

Yes, the draught is often on offer, but I never see Guinness ES on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah true, there is nothing better then a cold crisp boring larger in a sunny country over say an IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What defines bad etc etc. Well it doesnt matter as its not the 'anything but bad drink thread' its the 'good drink' thread...so yes i think guinness, coors etc shouldnt be included :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

adamski8 wrote: »
    What defines bad etc etc. Well it doesnt matter as its not the 'anything but bad drink thread' its the 'good drink' thread...so yes i think guinness, coors etc shouldnt be included :)

What defines "good"? Personal preference? Quality of ingredients? Consistency of production? High scores on blind testing?

Surely "good" is entirely subjective. What you and I consider good (personally I find IPA's like Brew Dog's Punk IPA to be very good) may be considered by someone else as pure pi$$ in preference for their love of Bavaria lager!!!

Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If we're going to debate the meaning of 'good' then you might as well debate the meaning of 'bargain' too since it is equally subjective.

I'd be of the mind that if someone makes the effort to post in this thread, we should all nod to the poster in thanks. Who knows when you might need to buy a slab of lager or some cheaper spirits or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I'd be of the mind that if someone makes the effort to post in this thread, we should all nod to the poster in thanks. Who knows when you might need to buy a slab of lager or some cheaper spirits or whatever.

+1

It is communion/confirmation/BBQ season after all when quantity (as in having guests around not milling 20 beers yourself) and value for money can be more important than quality :p

Despite having a strong preference for quality IPA, Porters and from time to time Ales of various character there are times when a few cans of ice cold Bud/Heino or Bulmers/Taurus Cider are what's needed and really hit the spot!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BenThere wrote: »
    a few cans of ice cold Bud/Heino or Bulmers/Taurus Cider are what's needed and really hit the spot!!
    Lets not go crazy here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would say guinness and heineken have done good jobs of what they set out to do, which was presumably not to make an authentic product.

If many people baulked at the taste of a strong tasting steak and only ate it since it was fairly cheap & filling and gave them a fix of protein then some meat producer or restaurant might set out to make bland beef.

Some go for the low cost bland option, like people would go for chicken breasts over pheasant or something.

I know a bud drinker who was genuinely surprised when he found out I like the taste of beer, he only drank it to get drunk and seemed to figure most people did, makes sense for him to go for bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Wow this thread really has gone of topic, good discussion though, I've been drinking craft beer for about 2 years now and before then I was a Guinness man.
    I had my first pint of Guinness down the local for about a year and I must say it was lovely, the temperature was just right. I find a lot of the pubs that do "Good" Guinness tend to frezze the be Jesus out of it which just kills the taste for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The growth of the craft beer industry in Ireland is directly proportional to the growth in the number of beerknobs in Ireland.

I'm delighted with the former, I guess the latter is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Hate getting notifications for this thread, thinking there's a new bargain to be had.... Then I click in to find out its just a few fella's whinging about who has the best taste in booze. Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hate getting notifications for this thread, thinking there's a new bargain to be had.... Then I click in to find out its just a few fella's whinging about who has the best taste in booze. Who cares?

Aaaaaaand.... on that note, back to talking about "Bargain Alerts" folks. ahthankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

"Tesco are currently doing Coors Light and Heineken 500 ml cans 24pack for €28."

Lifted from this 'anti-beer snob' thread ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057191195

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Tesco

Blue Moon 355ml bottles, 1.50e

8 degrees six-packs, 11.49.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Molloys Liquor promotions, 3 x Trouble Brewing/Galway Hooker €9, 5 x Eight Degrees €10, 5 x Franciscan Well €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Picked up 10 500 ml San Miguel for 10 euro in Tesco Roscrea..Not bad if i do say so myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dexter647 wrote: »
    Picked up 10 500 ml San Miguel for 10 euro in Tesco Roscrea..Not bad if i do say so myself:)

Tesco are selling equally terrible beer Bavaria 20 x 330ml bottles for €10.

Now don't get me wrong I'd normally stay well clear of the muck but havin a couple of mates over and want to be able to offer a beer without breakin the bank. They will be ice cold served with a slice of lime. 50cent a bottle is just rediculous. Below cost selling I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

stringy wrote: »
    Tesco

Blue Moon 355ml bottles, 1.50e

8 degrees six-packs, 11.49.

I really hope tesco start stocking amber ella.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For some bonkers reason The Abbot's in Cork are selling two pints of Friar Weiss for €4.
    Also have Sharpe's cask for €2 a pint.
    Don't understand it but I'm not arguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

For some bonkers reason The Abbot's in Cork are selling two pints of Friar Weiss for €4.

I just happen to be going to Cork today. I hope this is still on!

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I just happen to be going to Cork today. I hope this is still on!

Still on now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That's insane. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lidl - Tatra Polish lager 6.0%ABV 500ml can €1.69

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does anyone know where I'd get small bottles of Champagne? Like pub size wine, the wife wants to get some for her sister's hen

Advertisement