Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

adamski8 wrote: »
    Should they be more than 2.50e anyway?? Great beer but they are only 330ml

They are usually €2.79. I don't think that's too bad (not great either), considering I usually spend over €3 for a 330ml of craft from UK, USA etc.
    Would be fantastic if they made it a regular, might drop the price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Franziskaner 4 for 5 euro again in lidl.until 6th of April.
    Discount at till, I got 8 bottles yesterday for €10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

emo72 wrote: »
    I think it was. It might not have been labeled correctly but all them charge the same. Picked 12 bottles up for 15 euro in leixlip yesterday. Never tasted it before, hope it's nice!

In there today, no deal on for some reason, picked up 3 anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

rudboy wrote: »

defo still on, picked up err a few yesterday :) was in killarney though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

As far as I know this always happens, it's 4 for 5 and comes up as a deal at the till whether it's advertised in the store or not, if you only get 2 or 3 they scan at full price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

2ndcoming wrote: »
    As far as I know this always happens, it's 4 for 5 and comes up as a deal at the till whether it's advertised in the store or not, if you only get 2 or 3 they scan at full price!

Well that's bloody annoying:mad:

Well that's bloody annoying:mad:

Take it out on them by going back and stocking up tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Take it out on them by going back and stocking up tomorrow!

Yes, let them profit from your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I doubt very much they are making a profit on selling these at 4 for a fiver, surly a loss leader

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I doubt very much they are making a profit on selling these at 4 for a fiver, surly a loss leader

Dunno, they have pretty big buying power. Economies of scale and all that.

That's the extent of my business knowledge though so we can flip a coin between loss leaders and economies of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I imagine the breweries sell to supermarkets at cheap prices on the condition that it is sold cheaper to customers. This is why I reckon you get such big discounts on 24xcans at christmas of the big brands. Its little different to handing out vouchers for products like pizzas or chicken nuggets.

They investigated below cost selling of beer in the UK market a year or so ago, as an alternative to introducting minimum pricing. It was found that only a few obscure low volume selling beers were sold below cost. This must have infuriated all the publicans who could then get no-one to believe their bullshit stories/claims of how they cannot compete due to rife below cost selling, and why their prices are so high. I imagine its a similar thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Dunno, they have pretty big buying power. Economies of scale and all that.

That's the extent of my business knowledge though so we can flip a coin between loss leaders and economies of scale.

Considering that type of beer usually sells for 80/90 cents a bottle in Germany, it's possible that they're making a similar profit to German supermarkets, with the 30/40 cent difference going on transport costs.

Either way it's without doubt the best deal on decent beer we regularly see in this country, gonna hit them up for a case on the way home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Vratislar Czech Lager is 1.29 per 500ml bottle in Tesco.

Working through a couple now...very nice I think, crisp and fresh! Good price too, was going to get a few Tiger (two for a fiver) but was swayed by the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

SamAK wrote: »
    Vratislar Czech Lager is 1.29 per 500ml bottle in Tesco.

Working through a couple now...very nice I think, crisp and fresh! Good price too, was going to get a few Tiger (two for a fiver) but was swayed by the price difference.

I remember it was 95c :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Bushmills 10 Year Old €38 in Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dungarvan Black Rock is currently a pleasing 4 for €10 in Supervalu at the minute. Other selected craft brews are €2.50 each, including O'Hara's Red and Curim and some Well's and Young brews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

lidl balbriggan franziskaner €1.99 500 ml bottle,went into buy perlenbacher came out with these instead.The perlenbacher has jumped in price,And is now priced at €7.49 for six

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

In Tesco got 8 x 500 ml Guinness for 11 yo yoes. Works out about 1.38 per can. Not bad me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

In Tesco got 8 x 500 ml Guinness for 11 yo yoes. Works out about 1.38 per can. Not bad me thinks

That's not bad,when those 8 packs of draught came out they were 14 or 15 quid no matter where you bought them,may is only around the corner and Guinness sales probably drop around now and cider sales Will probably start to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is there not a "bad drink bargain alerts" thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is there not a "bad drink bargain alerts" thread? :pac:

I have no particular love for Guinness but very few people would describe it as a bad beer unless it's to get a reaction from Guinness drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guinness Extra Stout is a much nicer beer than Guinness Draught.

I had a Dark Arts Porter recently, wasn't impressed, I would have preferred a GES to it.

Edit: the only time I've ever seen GES on offer is at Christmas in Dunnes or Tesco with a slab of 24 offer. Normally you can expect to pay well over 2 euro for a can or bottle, which is too much for what it is and is rather galling when you often see multipacks of draught Guinness going for 1.50 a can on offer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I have no particular love for Guinness but very few people would describe it as a bad beer unless it's to get a reaction from Guinness drinkers.

Guinness Draught is a bad beer, by far the blandest "stout" on the market.

Extra Stout is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

irish_goat wrote: »
    Guinness Draught is a bad beer, by far the blandest "stout" on the market.

Extra Stout is a different matter.

Just because something is bland, does it necessarily mean it's "bad"?

Just because something is bland, does it necessarily mean it's "bad"?

Ah here, by that logic Coors and Bud aren't bad beers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah here, by that logic Coors and Bud aren't bad beers either.

They're not though. They're inoffensive and bland. A bad beer is a beer you couldn't drink because it tastes awful.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They're not though. They're inoffensive and bland. A bad beer is a beer you couldn't drink because it tastes awful.

Is bland not a bad quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is bland not a bad quality?

Not really. It's all about personal preference. Whether us beer snobs like it or not, most people prefer bland inoffensive beer, doesn't make it a bad beer though.

Advertisement