Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

RoverJames wrote: »
    I ran a Rover 400 on a few mixed tanks to see how it would go, around town you could smell the veg oil inside the car, chip shop smell. Didn't like.

You didn't like the chip shop smell? What kind of a man are you? :eek:

My head arrived back today, slight delay in the machining of the block due to questions over the pistons. Sorted now though after a few calls to the supplier. So the valves are being reseated now and this afternoon I'll be popping the springs in.... Nerves are hitting me badly now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got new wiper blades (front & rear) - the front ones have indicator stickers on them to let you know when they are worn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

A friend of mine used run his Jetta on old cooking oil from a shop, the smell of chips off it from the rear was unreal :pac:

Apparently donut oil is the one to get if you can. Your exhaust will smell like a bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

fitted one facelift rear light and carbon wrapped my door handles to match the factory silver carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

E38 up in the air today, diagnosing a front left side knocking.

Looks like my centre tie rod ball joint is shot, about €400 in parts, woo hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Going to wash it now, then compound a part I missed and wax it, have it sparkling again! :D

Oh, and clutch fluid too

Going to wash it now, then compound a part I missed and wax it, have it sparkling again!

Dont bother - it will just rain and fecking dirty the car again! Getting awful dusty rain down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dont bother - it will just rain and fecking dirty the car again! Getting awful dusty rain down here!

Sun is shining up here :D

but for how long

fitted smd number plate lights and fitted new pressed plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Rain is moving in from the south west. Droplets flet on my arm there a few minutes ago. I was going to wash car but no point now.

Latest radar:

3 hour radar:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

new pads and shoes on the civic today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Installed a baby seat but the bloody thing keeps moving around too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Customers cars keep getting in the way of my own :(

Got the valves reseated today and that was it, feck all work in them seeing as they were only done 6 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Put on a straight through on my 525i...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

dgt wrote: »
    Put on a straight through on my 525i...

b****d! Sounds awesome without the cat I reckon :D

fitted the second rear facelift light and fitted my colour coded rear chrome strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Today I took the roof off my car :D

s2000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Today I took the roof off my car :D

You should have got Limerick man to clean the headlining while you had it off...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Put new shocks on the back of the civic and gave it a coat of CG P40 and two coats of CG Blacklight

Looks a bit better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You should have got Limerick man to clean the headlining while you had it off...:D

I'd rather not talk about the headliner.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL well Chris has a pink headliner :P

Me though, I finally have a black one :P

264761_10150705028595176_805400175_19742529_161700_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got a delivery of a full set of brakepads for an MX5, all of them the wrong ones...:(
    And I only found out after disassembling. And a rear pad was down to the metal. Now car on axle stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Got a delivery of a full set of brakepads for an MX5, all of them the wrong ones...:(
    And I only found out after disassembling. And a rear pad was down to the metal. Now car on axle stands.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

The keyhole cover on the driver's had been replaced by the previous owner, but whoever had painted it did not lacquer it- the paint had changed colour and had begun to crack, chip and flake with age, most likely due to UV exposure. Your eye was really drawn to it and I couldn't help but look at it everytime I was getting into my car.

166513.jpg

I had been quoted €80-€120 by various bodyshops to get this painted as they could only mix several litres of paint in one go. So I got myself sandpaper and some spray cans from Volvo and over the course of 72 hours I sanded it, applied primer, several coats of paint and lacquered it, leaving 24 hours between each stage:

166514.jpg

As you can see, the paint pooled around the key symbol. The paint match is about 98%, but not perfect. The total cost was €29 (€17 for paint and lacquer from Volvo, €12 for primer and sandpaper from Halfords) so I'm pretty happy with the results.

The obligatory shot of my car:

166515.JPG

Other random pictures attached, I hit the maximum of 5 attachments so I can't upload pictures from all of the various stages.

my car with the original pre-facelift lights which i thought were kinda ugly.and the factory chrome strip.s5001539.jpg

decided to buy a set of facelift lights which are impossible to find. removed the chrome strip and sanded, etch primed, painted and lacquered it. the plastic plates were peeling so caved in and bought a german set s5001701.jpg

s5001702.jpg the facelift lights are much much nicer at night than standard

some of the interior is already carbon wrapped and instead of buying a 25 euro wrapped set of handles off ebay i bought a sample off a polish business and had enough to wrap both of mine for €3 :Ds5001700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

its amazing the differance the new lights and painted strip make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Just changed my wipers to Valeo flat blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

great looking car. would look better without the opel badge on the boot.

• Advertisement

thanks man. yeah i was originally going to remove it but now i feel it ties in nicely with the badges. i might take it off cos i can always stick it back on again sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement