Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oh god tell me that's not a shopping list type decal on your windscreen? :eek:

no, its japanese writing. it had quite a lot more decals on it, but i'm working my way through getting them off again. tbh i kind of like how it looks on it, but it is marmite.

i'm happy with the car now though, i always wanted a bog standard one, just lowered and nothing more, so i'm allowed one tacky thing :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

andyseadog wrote: »
    no, its japanese writing. it had quite a lot more decals on it, but i'm working my way through getting them off again. tbh i kind of like how it looks on it, but it is marmite.

i'm happy with the car now though, i always wanted a bog standard one, just lowered and nothing more, so i'm allowed one tacky thing :)

It's your car man, feck what anyone else says! If you're not happy then what's the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

tossy wrote: »
    It's called constructive criticism,are we meant to trip over ourselves to compliment everyone on every little thing here? I think the OP realises themselves it's a botch job,it's going to be hard rectify with the console back in the car.
    I think you mis spelt your username
    It should end in -er not -y

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Max Power1 wrote: »

You can take a week off for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Max Power1 wrote: »

Have to say i agree with tossy tbh. We're not schoolgirls here so no point pussyfooting either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Have to say i agree with tossy tbh. We're not schoolgirls here so no point pussyfooting either

Thank you.

I think my post history on here will show i'm not a troll,i generally try to be helpful with my posts and helpful in the real world with members on here.I tend not to show up on threads posting troll style crap for the sake of controversy.If we are going to have a "look what i done" style thread then we have to be adults and accept when we receive some criticism.I took flak for putting a VW steering wheel in an Audi :D

If i had of posted "that fake carbon fibre is **** and you are an idiot for doing it" i would deserve to be called a tosser,but i didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

baldshin wrote: »
    Finally finished applying carbon fiber effect wrap on the centre console of my MG (nightmare to get it out of the car!) Still a bit rugged around the edges but I'll fix it on my next day off. Also put on a new gear knob as the original was in tatters! I drilled a hole into the armrest compartment to and wired an aux cable to the back of the stereo to keep my ipod connection nice and discreet.

I like the job mate, it seems like a hard job with the bumps and that. you just need to fix the three round bits. Otherwise its a good job. But sure, you cant please everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ok, it wasn't today but here's some more pics of the new gaiters :)

4JrkQ.jpg

T1IJP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ok, it wasn't today but here's some more pics of the new gaiters :)

Mine is arriving in the morning :D

Tragedy wrote: »
    NCT today. Went to pop the bonnet to check oil/coolant levels 30mins before test. Cable went slack, bonnet wouldn't open.

WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO? I HAD JUST DECIDED TO KEEP YOU UNTIL JANUARY!

One of the first things I did to the ZT when I got it was to secure the little cable connecter box to the wing. not mission impossible to get open or anything though. Booked my NCT an hour or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

So I spent most of the day doing stuff on the 406...

First, here's the old clutch. Note the blue...!
    Image2150.jpg

Cleaned the box
    Image2152.jpg
    Image2153.jpg

The engine bay
    Image2154.jpg

New turbo pipe
    Image2155.jpg

Cleaned the oily bits I didn't get to
    Image2160.jpg
    Image2158.jpg

New thermostat
    Image2163.jpg

Rocker cover got some lovin'
    Image2161.jpg
    Image2164.jpg

New clutch on
    Image2165.jpg

And the fun part!
    Image2166.jpg

Fear not there are obligatory shots of me in the engine bay, but not for here... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This thread is funny sometimes. Some posters are there with pictures of their car cleaned or new gearstick gaiter's (no offence lads) and then there's dgt takin' the fookin' engine apart and cleaning the gearbox. Gave me a good laugh alright. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »
    This thread is funny sometimes. Some posters are there with pictures of their car cleaned or new gearstick gaiter's (no offence lads) and then there's dgt takin' the fookin' engine apart and cleaning the gearbox. Gave me a good laugh alright. :D

I have a polishing mop, detailing brushes and various other bits and bobs lying about but I'm worlds away from having a relatively clean vehicle... More fun getting dirty :pac:

Although, the 166 is kept lovingly spotless :D

interesting motoring stuff from today :

new owner of the vectra I sold last month was back to me today to inform me that the clutch slave clyinder was on its way out. I told him I could get a buddy of mine to fit it cheaply and gave him the number of Traynors breakers up north to try pick up a cheap slave cyl (opel dealership wanted €250 for the part alone). I think this is the best I could have done really, he's a friend of mine so to speak. I mean thats nearly a month sold now and he's done over 2k miles in it.

also got my insurance renewal. I bought a quinn policy last july €500 odd euro for the year, with 4 years no claims aged 21. got my renewal now from liberty, will be aged 22 with 5 years no claims at the time of renewal, and they want €895! nearly fecking double! admittedly gone from the diesel vectra to the glanza turbo but sweet jesus thats some hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

andyseadog wrote: »
    interesting motoring stuff from today :

new owner of the vectra I sold last month was back to me today to inform me that the clutch slave clyinder was on its way out. I told him I could get a buddy of mine to fit it cheaply and gave him the number of Traynors breakers up north to try pick up a cheap slave cyl (opel dealership wanted €250 for the part alone). I think this is the best I could have done really, he's a friend of mine so to speak. I mean thats nearly a month sold now and he's done over 2k miles in it.

also got my insurance renewal. I bought a quinn policy last july €500 odd euro for the year, with 4 years no claims aged 21. got my renewal now from liberty, will be aged 22 with 5 years no claims at the time of renewal, and they want €895! nearly fecking double! admittedly gone from the diesel vectra to the glanza turbo but sweet jesus thats some hike.

I can't wait for the days of three figure insurance premiums. :pac:

166man wrote: »
    I can't wait for the days of three figure insurance premiums. :pac:

neither could I, only problem is they're going in the wrong direction :pac:

also meant to post this in the motors chat thread, must have accidentally put it here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Took the stuck glovebox out of my 525 as the handle was busted shut, about an hour of trying to evolve and grow another arm my mother had to be drafted in to prise the old latch open.
    Found a nice collection of nct's and a bit of history blus a little bmw light, had a spare glovebox so took the latch off it and done a little switcharoo. All was going great till I had everything bolted back, and I closed the new glovebox (which now included a mini ratchet, screws for the speaker and my phone as it was digging into me)
    Latch was working perfectly compared to the shattered one that came out or so I thought. put it all back together, fitted grand, tried to open and NOTHING,
    A previous owner who had done an engine change relocated the ecu to the glovebox which pushed the bracket for the glovebox out a bit, causing it to put pressure on the latch which made me take everything out again, so i'm back to square 1 and I can't find the 10mm socket.

Ye gotta love cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Not what I did, but one of the lads on the E38 forums, rear window curtains!

rearcurtains3a.jpg

Gonna have to give this a go! :D

Curtains in a car? That is kinda cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Think you need an IL or LI for that, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That carpet is bordering on shag pile.
    I love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks like a funeral directors car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Think you need an IL or LI for that, no?

Maybe, still, love the idea of sitting in the back with the curtains closed, hurtling down the motorway. :D

Maybe, still, love the idea of sitting in the back with the curtains closed, hurtling down the motorway. :D

Curtains is the new window tint. :p

Curtains is the new window tint, yo. :cool:

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I purchased a set of alloys for 30 quid for the Avensis...NCT retest on tuesday..

CianRyan wrote: »
    FYP

HA! I like your shtyle Cian. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Are you getting a mistress or a driver, or maybe both?

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I purchased a set of alloys for 30 quid for the Avensis...NCT retest on tuesday..

Cheap!
    Any pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Wouldn't you need to transplant in a proper engine before yo do any hurtling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement