Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test on Friday

Options
  • 23-06-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've my test coming up on Friday at noon and am really beginning to feel the nerves. I'm doing it in Naas on a school bike. Really wish I had my own one to practice on before hand. Had a drive around the town on four wheels today which helped a little bit. I know I have the ability to pass the test but am prone to the odd lapse; the old nerves aren't going to help either.

It would mean the world to me if I can pass. Any last minute advice from those who have been through it before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dceire wrote: »
    I know I have the ability to pass the test
    Thats what you need to concentrate on.

You'll fly it, just stop over-thinking things. They're only checking that you know the theory and have good basic control of the bike, you can do that.
    Best of luck and don't forget to let us know how ya get on.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get some Rescue Remedy. I failed a few tests due to nerves, never had any issues during lessons but made numerous silly mistakes during the test, then my instructor told me about Rescue Remedy and I've passed all since then. It's for calming nervousness and is available from health food shops.

And do as AligeMyth says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Just keep calm and if you make a mistake then forget about it! No point in thinking about it as it'll distract you and you'll only make more. You're allowed a few mistakes so it won't matter.

Just take a breath and focus on the rest of the test. Remember what you've learned and make all head movements more obvious.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

At this stage just relax and try not to stress about it!

If you have had lessons/pre tests just work through the advice in your head. Imagine the scenarios and how you would react/behave in them. This way it'll be second nature to you on Friday.

And best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

dont get worked up about it, tell yourself its not the biggest thing ever, its not the end of the world if you dont get it. try drive as normal (in reason :P)
    and as the don said, if you make a mistake forget it.

I did that in my cage test, made a mistake and no longer cared, stopped trying, stopped being nervous coz i thought id failed, turned out i didnt! :D

best of luck, come back and tell us bout it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

The most important thing to remember is that they are looking for competence!
    Can you handle the bike confidently?
    Can you hold your own on the road? Are you a danger to yourself and other road users?
    That's what the u-turn and the emergency braking, etc shows.

Answers the questions, be confident...not cocky and the very best of luck.... you'll be grand. There is nothing wrong with nerves, just keep them in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Thanks for all the encouragement guys but I failed in the end. I'm pretty sickened and, to be honest, I feel a little hard done by.

I picked up the bike early and went in and around the town an hour before my test. I ironed out all the things I was worried about and my instructor was really please with me. Once I got going I wasn't even that nervous. I actually thought it went really well and when I was walking back to the office I was sure I had passed. In the end, I was failed in two areas.

#1: Turning Right (Grade 3 fault x1)
    #2: Safety Glance (Grade 2 fault x4)

For the Grade 3 fault I turned across into a housing estate in front of an approaching car. I felt that I had more than enough time to complete the turn safely but my tester obviously felt differently. As for the Grade 2 faults, he said that I didn't give the safety glance when going around a few manhole covers.

I had literally no other marks against me in any other area. Ah well, all I can do is apply and go again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks for all the encouragement guys but I failed in the end.

Poo. It does sound like you were hard done by :( Chin up, mate you'll get it next time. Apply again straight away before you go cold.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Poo. It does sound like you were hard done by :( Chin up, mate you'll get it next time. Apply again straight away before you go cold.

Cheers mate. I'm trying to apply for another test now.

Any idea how I can apply for a cancellation? I don't see the option available on the online application.

ah ****e :(
    sorry bout that. dont give up, go go go again!
    obviously the same as driving test, depends on the tester and their mood on the day :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Hard luck :(

Like the others have said, apply straight away. You weren't nervous anyway which was the main thing you were worried about :). Sounds like you should fly past next time!

I applied again today. I put down for a cancellation so hopefully it won't take too long. I'm eager to get back out there and set things straight, I know I shouldn't have failed last time out.

I applied again today. I put down for a cancellation so hopefully it won't take too long. I'm eager to get back out there and set things straight, I know I shouldn't have failed last time out.

best of luck to you!

hope you get a date soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Thanks for all the encouragement guys but I failed in the end. I'm pretty sickened and, to be honest, I feel a little hard done by.

I picked up the bike early and went in and around the town an hour before my test. I ironed out all the things I was worried about and my instructor was really please with me. Once I got going I wasn't even that nervous. I actually thought it went really well and when I was walking back to the office I was sure I had passed. In the end, I was failed in two areas.

#1: Turning Right (Grade 3 fault x1)
    #2: Safety Glance (Grade 2 fault x4)

For the Grade 3 fault I turned across into a housing estate in front of an approaching car. I felt that I had more than enough time to complete the turn safely but my tester obviously felt differently. As for the Grade 2 faults, he said that I didn't give the safety glance when going around a few manhole covers.

I had literally no other marks against me in any other area. Ah well, all I can do is apply and go again. :rolleyes:

I failed first time, buy applied straight away and got a date about 3 weeks later. That was back when there was a year waiting list!
    As for moving to avoid manhole covers, you need to check the mirrors for basically everything. I remember when I did mine I just moved my head left and right all the time! I cheated the system :cool:
    But once you know what you did wrong, you're sorted and will easily pass next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Hi dceire.

First off, hard luck about the test, and hopefully you get it next time.

I just have a question RE the waiting list if you don't mind. how long were you waiting between applying and testing?

Pedro K wrote: »
    Hi dceire.

First off, hard luck about the test, and hopefully you get it next time.

I just have a question RE the waiting list if you don't mind. how long were you waiting between applying and testing?

Initially I had my test scheduled for 27 May but had to cancel it. I canceled/re-applied on 16 May and got my new date on 20 May. My test was re-scheduled for 24 June.

So to answer your question; just over 5 weeks. I'm hoping to get it quicker this time round as I have made myself available for any cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

I would give this a read if you are doing your test soon

Finally got another stab at the test today, I nailed it this time round. Only two minor faults. I still think I should have passed first time but no doubt about it this time. I'm over the moon. :D:cool:

Now to look for a bike, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Finally got another stab at the test today, I nailed it this time round. Only two minor faults. I still think I should have passed first time but no doubt about it this time. I'm over the moon. :D:cool:

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Well done.

Happy bike shopping. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Fair play!,

What style of bike to your prefer? sports/cruiser/trourer ?
    because you have your full licence you shouldn't have much hassle with insurance.

The first full size bike i started with was a restricted cb400 super four, grand size for me 5'8. and enough power to use happily on the motorway and commuting.

Happy Bargain Hunting.

Cheers guys.

inchiuvatu: I'd like something along the lines of a bandit/hornet/CB, that kind of style. I did my test on a ER-5 school bike; and I've kind of fallen in love with the new ER-6. It'd cost a bit more to buy but I'm sure I could convince myself to stretch that far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Well done. There's no better feeling. Happy bike hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Congrats!

Now send off for your pink straight away to start the 2 year clock ticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Congrats there, at least you can get rid of the L jacket :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Congrats!

Now send off for your pink straight away to start the 2 year clock ticking!

haha yea, I was straight into the tax office today. Apparently, it takes 3 weeks to have a new licence issued these days. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

haha yea, I was straight into the tax office today. Apparently, it takes 3 weeks to have a new licence issued these days. :eek:

It will be dated from the day you went to the tax office, so the 2 years restriction starts clocking from that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well done on passing, hope ya got the license ASAP to start the 2yr restriction clock:D

Any opinions on the following would be much appreciated:

Bandit 250/400/600
    GS500
    CB500

The only bike I have any hands on knowledge of is the ER-5 from my training/test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Any time i've had to get a licence, its been done on the spot, including last monday. :D
    Did they give any reason for the delay?

Advertisement