Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary O Brien

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Well his 10/1 first selection just got up at Galway there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Well his 10/1 first selection just got up at Galway there!!

His next 6 '1 pt ew' selections could finish unplaced now and you'll have people going crazy, not realising that if you followed his instructions they'd still be in profit. Same nonsense happens with Segal and HT also. Half the problem stems from people backing the horse at half the price they advise

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Both work for ATR. \Hugh will give a detailed account on why he chooses his horses and his results over periods of time are available
    Gary does not show his results as they are on a minus over the last few years and he also tips 4/1 shot as E/w . Could never understand that. I rate Hugh Taylor , Pricewise(Tom Segal) and kieranoconnellracing.com.
    On saying that I do always take a look at what Gary is tipping. He will only have his last winner highlighted on top. Gary actually phones his stuff in where as Hugh actually uploads his directly to the site.

Hey nuckeythompson thanks for the insightful reply. I've heard very good reviews in general for Gary O'Brien but yeah it kind of sucks he doesn't justify his tips even with just a line or 2. That's really sneaky he doesn't show his results but no wonder if he's at a loss in general haha. I like tipsters that show their results as it gives me more confidence using their tips.

Im relatively inexperienced when it comes to horse racing but your point about him EW a 4/1...is that odd in the sense that the odds should ideally be much bigger to EW? I have only started using Gary's tips since Sunday and all good so far to be honest. His first tip on sunday won and his second tip on sunday placed and today his first tip won and his second tip placed so i'm making money from him so far:D He must be going through a very good phase right now lol

I was using Alex Hammond's tips recently and 2 days in a row her tips at both 7/2 came off so I was delighted but then the rot started. One of her tips last week I tipped came last! ha So I checked for reviews of her tips online and in general she seems to getting nothing but abuse. A lot of people were saying she's clueless about horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Gary O'Brien is definitely not in the red over the last couple of years.

He'll always gives his reasoning before the race on ATR in which his tip is running.

Understandable that people can't always watch, but I'd recommend switching it on when possible as it does give you an indication of his angles when putting up a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I don't really understand the psychology behind people following tipsters, if you're any sort of racing fan and can read form why would you value someone else opinion above your own? That's not to say totally ignore other people/tipsters opinions but to follow them blindly i find ludicrous.

The only tips i would follow is straight from yards that i regularly get info from and know to be reliable yards and good judges of where there horses are at,that's the only real way to get an angle from a tip.

I find it quite laughable really when i hear my pals saying things like "lump on no.6 in the next i got a tip for him off a lad in the bookies". Who is this lad in the bookies? Does he just fancy the horse? Has he been keeping an eye on it recently and think conditions favour him? Has he noticed the horse is back below his last winning mark at a course he likes? In any of those situations i wouldn't even regard it as tips.

Tips for me is 1st hand info straight from a yard telling you what's expected of the horse and how he's going at home and why todays race will suit not lads saying lump on this boy will win. Even when getting tips straight from the yard they can be miles off with how well they expect horses to run,particuarly animals 1st time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I don't really understand the psychology behind people following tipsters, if you're any sort of racing fan and can read form why would you value someone else opinion above your own? That's not to say totally ignore other people/tipsters opinions but to follow them blindly i find ludicrous.

The only tips i would follow is straight from yards that i regularly get info from and know to be reliable yards and good judges of where there horses are at,that's the only real way to get an angle from a tip.

I find it quite laughable really when i hear my pals saying things like "lump on no.6 in the next i got a tip for him off a lad in the bookies". Who is this lad in the bookies? Does he just fancy the horse? Has he been keeping an eye on it recently and think conditions favour him? Has he noticed the horse is back below his last winning mark at a course he likes? In any of those situations i wouldn't even regard it as tips.

Tips for me is 1st hand info straight from a yard telling you what's expected of the horse and how he's going at home and why todays race will suit not lads saying lump on this boy will win. Even when getting tips straight from the yard they can be miles off with how well they expect horses to run,particuarly animals 1st time out.

I agree with this, and even the people who follow Hugh Taylor and Pricewise - how many actually get on at the advised price? Very few I reckon, once the bookies get wind of their fancies, yet they almost always preface their prowess by showing their supposed profits at prices advised, even though most mug punters would be unable to get on at those prices. It's not worth the effort of following them because if you compared their profit and loss with prices advised against prices at SP, there would be a huge disparity.

I bet on different sports and I'd say im far more knowledgeable on soccer and tennis so I use my own tips there but horse racing is new to me so I have no problem using tips from so called experts. Also I bet for fun with small stakes which is very important for me anyway. There is one tipster called Stephen Harris and he puts up his horse racing tips at 7am every morning so that's more conducive to getting the best prices if you wake up that early to use his tips. He also uses a variety of Betfred, Williamhill and Paddy Power who all have BOG.

I find it very interesting though that Hugh Taylor rarely seems to each-way is bets whereas Gary O'Brien regularly each-ways his bets. I suppose its all different strategy:) I do find it very impressive how consistent Hugh Taylor particularly from the fact that he's been in profit since 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I agree with this, and even the people who follow Hugh Taylor and Pricewise - how many actually get on at the advised price? Very few I reckon, once the bookies get wind of their fancies,

If you believe you can make money backing Pricewise selections (and plenty do), then pay for the RP website/app, (or on a Saturday, there is a free email that provides them) get up early and get the best price you can. If you are getting up at 11am, hungover, and strolling down to a bookies to back a 14/1 tip at 10/1, you aren’t going to win and you only have yourself to blame.

For people who don’t have the time/inclination to research bets, money can be made by following tips. It will require a bit of effort though, which needless to say doesn’t suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Also re: Gary O’Brien. At The Races are in the business of satellite television, their website isn’t necessarily a standalone product that people can freeload off. He generally explains his fancies on air – if you are paying ATR subscription prices, you’ll get a certain level of analysis that you won’t get (and arguably aren’t entitled to) by just clicking onto the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

beya2009 wrote: »
    I find it very interesting though that Hugh Taylor rarely seems to each-way is bets whereas Gary O'Brien regularly each-ways his bets. I suppose its all different strategy:) I do find it very impressive how consistent Hugh Taylor particularly from the fact that he's been in profit since 2009!

I read a book sometime ago which said regarding e/w that of you dont have confidence of it winning dont go near it. IMO if its a big enough price Ill happily take e/w

Also agree on getting up early or in some cases staying up all night till the market opens. Well worth it, nothing worse than strolling to the bookies or logging on and missing the price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What book was that? The authors an imbecile in any case. Its been done to death on here already, but that's completely the wrong way to look at each way. They are two seperate bets. If you place a win bet, you have an added option of placing a to place bet. If you think the place bet is value, then go ew. But they are seperate bets. Only going ew when its a big price is nonsense also. Best value ew bet I ever had was 9/4 MTOY in the supreme 2013, 5 places. I was getting 8/15 to place about a 1/10 shot. Layed off the win part fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyalAcademy2

very interesting Hulk...sometimes you need to read a lot of drivel to find an new angle

Well I've been using Gary O'Brien's and Hugh Taylor's tip for the last 2 weeks and my ROI yesterday was 26.5% but after they both had shockers today it has dropped to 19.35%. All good fun though and I'm in profit so I can't complain:D Im waiting for another big win from either of them to really rise up my profit ha.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What book was that? The authors an imbecile in any case. Its been done to death on here already, but that's completely the wrong way to look at each way. They are two seperate bets. If you place a win bet, you have an added option of placing a to place bet. If you think the place bet is value, then go ew. But they are seperate bets. Only going ew when its a big price is nonsense also. Best value ew bet I ever had was 9/4 MTOY in the supreme 2013, 5 places. I was getting 8/15 to place about a 1/10 shot. Layed off the win part fwiw

The imbecile in question is some lad that goes by the name Alan Potts!
    Forget which one , either Against the Crowd or The inside approach. Sometimes I will do two seperate bets of different values by going place and win depending on what I feel.
    As mentioned here before racing is a game of opinions and I think its unfair to suggest someone with that approach is an imbecile as it may suit their method of gambling. I learned a long time ago not to be so quick to shoot someone eles methods of betting on horses as Ill end up looking pretty stupid. Im sure plenty of people say the man who goes down to the bookies every Saturday doing his lucky 15 is a mug punter, but hey it suits that type of punter who watches C4 every sat and can still show a profit at the end of the year by getting the early prices and having one winner bigger than5/1.
    But I do consider the guy who bets on virtual a mug punter but maybe not an imbecile (unless he thinks there is form to it)

Not sure if links are allowed here so I won't chance it lol But I read this article earlier today about each-way betting that I found interesting. here is what the guy stated:

"Once you have made what is hopefully a credible selection, the next process is to decide what to do with it. Now, I am likely to lose some of you here because I am not an each-way punter. Colleagues castigate me for this. I know many who often back and lay horses in the place market on Betfair. Laying horses for a place is a different matter but I have no interest in backing them under such a basis. Actually, in this year’s Gold Cup I backed Denman to win and laid Kauto Star for a place. This was on the assumption that Denman might have either put Kauto Star on the floor, or outstayed him to such a degree he finished legless. It turned out well but, had Denman lost leaving the prize to runner-up Kauto Star, I would have been in trouble. Backing twice in a race is dangerous and not a practice I would advocate, although I often do back one and lay against it. I have been caught a couple of times, losing on the horse I backed and paying out on the winner which I laid. It is not a good idea for those of a nervous disposition."

He then goes on to state:

" Each-way betting is an obvious way of protecting your stake. Two things I should like to add. Firstly, ask most people what the place odds for a 10/1 chance at one-fifth the odds is and they will tell you 10 divided by 5, or 2/1. Wrong! Those odds only apply if the horse wins. If it finishes second, you are paid 2/1 less your win stake; therefore £100 each-way on a 10/1 shot that is placed returns you £300 for a stake of £200. I make that a 2/1 ON shot! Protecting your stake is prudent and punters would do well to give themselves as many chances of winning or not losing as possible. But to my mind, each-way betting is not necessarily the insurance policy that provides protection for your money. Each-way doubles can be fine, as can each-way trebles; but an each-way single is not as clever as it looks. "

I was looking up Pricewise as he's supposed to be the king of free tips lol but don't think his tips are free anymore. I noticed you have to pay a membership with racingpost to get access to his tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭wackokid

beya2009 wrote: »
    I was looking up Pricewise as he's supposed to be the king of free tips lol but don't think his tips are free anymore. I noticed you have to pay a membership with racingpost to get access to his tips.

Well spotted. Isn't he an awful bollix?

you just get earlier access to them, not much point as the bookies also get early access tto them

you just get earlier access to them, not much point as the bookies also get early access tto them

oh right but when you go to his section at racingpost it says its for members only. I couldn't find anywhere else that's posting his tips other than some forums that post some of his tips from last year lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement