Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary O Brien

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's views on him as a tipster. He is usually good but the last 2 months he has been in awful form. He is gettin paid by ATR and cant bother putting up reasons for his selections. He rarely gives anything over a 1 point win and its mostly always 1 point e/w. It seems to me he is not puttting alot of effort in. I know he usually has one meeting to choose from but surely this gives him a better chance to look into races in more detail and post up reasons for his selctions. Just my 2 cents im sure people might disagree, maybe im annoyed cause i have got my fingers burnt following him lately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

I agree that he should put up a small piece(if only a sentence or two) on his selections. In fairness tho, he covers all irish racing and and is more a presenter with them it would seem and double barrels with a tip or two. Hugh taylor does not present and his sole job is a tipster, so he can do his homework and get all his stats together etc..

Maybe what they could do is get jim duggan to do the tips for the flat and gary deal with the NH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I decide to start this thread and stop following him and his first tip tonight wins at 8/1:rolleyes: I really need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's views on him as a tipster. He is usually good but the last 2 months he has been in awful form. He is gettin paid by ATR and cant bother putting up reasons for his selections. He rarely gives anything over a 1 point win and its mostly always 1 point e/w. It seems to me he is not puttting alot of effort in. I know he usually has one meeting to choose from but surely this gives him a better chance to look into races in more detail and post up reasons for his selctions. Just my 2 cents im sure people might disagree, maybe im annoyed cause i have got my fingers burnt following him lately.

Just watch the racing and pick your own horses to back, you can't be annoyed with anyone but yourself then.

Sprouts wrote: »
    Just watch the racing and pick your own horses to back, you can't be annoyed with anyone but yourself then.

Yes i do but thats not my point if you read my post properly you would understand. I said he is getting paid to study in detail and give tips and lately he is gone lazy, if you agree or disagree then make a comment.

Gary gets paid to articulate what he sees from watching racing and he's good at that, ATR ask him to give tips on their website, his tips are just his opinion on what he thinks, he doesn't have a magic ball that the rest of us don't have.

• Advertisement

Gary gets paid to articulate what he sees from watching racing and he's good at that, ATR ask him to give tips on their website, his tips are just his opinion on what he thinks, he doesn't have a magic ball that the rest of us don't have.

He is paid to give tips and as a professional he should also give reasoning. He doesnt have a magic ball but he is paid as an expert and should give an expert opinion on why he fancies the horses. My problem if again you could read my post is that he doesnt give an opinion just names horses. Every tipster in the world i have seen gives reasons and validations for their picks and Gary should do the same, he is being lazy lately and i think his poor results lately reflect on that. If he is too busy get in another person who will put in the effort.

Maybe email ATR an ask them to get their tipsters to explain why they like certain horses, maybe they'll get their IT boys in to change their website to suit your request.

Maybe email ATR an ask them to get their tipsters to explain why they like certain horses, maybe they'll get their IT boys in to change their website to suit your request.

Every other tipster besides Gary gives their reasons unless you are not familiar with this. My point is Gary has been lazy lately and his results have shown that, which you cant seem to grasp.

Maybe grasp the fact that if your'e listening to tipsters you shouldn't back horses at all

Maybe grasp the fact that if your'e listening to tipsters you shouldn't back horses at all

I would like people's opinions on this. You seem to think a punter should not look up a top tipsters advice, why is that. I pick out my own selections but i also use some good tipsters info aswell to review my selection. Fair enough if you dont look at tipsters advice you are a rare breed. I would like to hear other posters take on this everybody i know that backs horses also does research while looking at tipsters advice also.

• Advertisement

So you want him to write for instance that '' oh i met Pascal earlier and he reckons an unraced Oxx 2 y old would win handy, have yor money on'' sorry but they won't be putting up any useful info like that on the www. for the mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Gary o Brien very rarely puts up why he chose his selections, only big meetings or some odd saturdays, to say he is gone lazy is a joke.
    You know that just because he is a " Tipster " doesnt mean he cant have losers, every tipster goes on good/bad streaks...its the same as yourself gambling...good days and bad!....more bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

So you want him to write for instance that '' oh i met Pascal earlier and he reckons an unraced Oxx 2 y old would win handy, have yor money on'' sorry but they won't be putting up any useful info like that on the www. for the mugs.

You've pulled that comment out of the air yeah?? :rolleyes:
    Surely Nuts just means something very straight forward - comment on last run, conditions today may suit, only leader in the race etc.. I mean it's not like he needs to give an essay, at least give an explanation for his tips. Show the betting public what he sees.

smartaform wrote: »
    You've pulled that comment out of the air yeah?? :rolleyes:
    Surely Nuts just means something very straight forward - comment on last run, conditions today may suit, only leader in the race etc.. I mean it's not like he needs to give an essay, at least give an explanation for his tips. Show the betting public what he sees.

Exactly the other 2 dont seem to grasp that. All im saying is he could write a small paragraph or even a brief sentence or two for his selection. Im not asking him to write an essay he has alot of people who follow him and it would be nice if he gives a reason for his selection. I understand he may be busy but it would take 5 minutes to write down a few sentences to explain why he chose the selection. I dont follow tipsters religously, if i dont have time to look at much form and i am looking to do a quick bet then yes i will have a quick look at ATR tipsters and see what they fancy. Plus where did i mention him putting up inside information you really must not be reading my posts. i said he could put up a reason for fancying a horse not what inside information he recieves. If i want inside information i look at trainers websites i find Richard Hannon's very good he gives his expectations of most runners everyday and the stable has alot of winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭BQQ

unlike the other tipsters, he has to broadcast from the course. Probably has to phone his tips in to someone on the website.
    Also, irish racing is rarely priced up fully until nearly 11 o'clock. Obviously this has to be factored in, but ATR want the tips asap, so he has to be brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I don't really follow tipsters (primarily because the minute the good ones have posted their selections, the bookies slash the prices) but Hugh Taylor always gives a pretty detailed reasoning for why he fancies a horse. It wouldn't cost O'Brien too much time to give a line or two about his selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

If you ignore his tips, for lacking an explanation or rationale, then maybe the website will stop displaying them. I dont think Gary would be in any way disappointed.

He has always been a presenter first and foremost, and its a shame that he is still on ATR and not given a higher profile gig at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stples

Dont really rate him as a tipster myself. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

I agree nuts. I have little interest in a tipster putting up a selection unless they provide reasons.

I dont really follow any tipsters but I'd often read a tipsters comment and it may persuade me if a decent argument is made. I might see something that I may not have thought of.

I like Gary O' Brien as a presenter but if he is too busy to write a few lines on his selections, then atr should get someone else to tip in Irish racing!

Looks like Gary may have been reading the thread lol a nice write up today about his selections.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Looks like Gary may have been reading the thread lol a nice write up today about his selections.

Are you Joe Duffy by any chance? :D

Are you Joe Duffy by any chance? :D

What gave it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Btw who is the better tipster in people's opinion? Gary O'Brien or Hugh Taylor? Does Hugh Taylor work for at the races too?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

beya2009 wrote: »
    Btw who is the better tipster in people's opinion? Gary O'Brien or Hugh Taylor? Does Hugh Taylor work for at the races too?

Both work for ATR. \Hugh will give a detailed account on why he chooses his horses and his results over periods of time are available
    Gary does not show his results as they are on a minus over the last few years and he also tips 4/1 shot as E/w . Could never understand that. I rate Hugh Taylor , Pricewise(Tom Segal) and kieranoconnellracing.com.
    On saying that I do always take a look at what Gary is tipping. He will only have his last winner highlighted on top. Gary actually phones his stuff in where as Hugh actually uploads his directly to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

kieranoconnellracing.com.

Was that the guy that used to tip for the daily star? He was rediculous if its the same person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

I'd always have a look out for Gary's tips to be fair. I think (without having all the information in front of me) is a decent tipster to be fair. I wouldn't bet every day on what he says but I always give his shouts a second look. He only writes up info on the saturday or sunday races but am I right in saying that he does a write up on nearly 100% of the weekend stuff?

He's a very good presenter and I've met him once or twice at things like Cheltenham preview shows and I'd agree with the lads above saying that he is a presenter more than a tipster but also as you say it wouldnt take a huge amount of time to put a few lines together now and again. However I wouldnt hold it against him too much. I'd say he's nottoo concerned about tipping horses mid week and thats why he just puts the names of the horses down and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

Both work for ATR. \Hugh will give a detailed account on why he chooses his horses and his results over periods of time are available
    Gary does not show his results as they are on a minus over the last few years and he also tips 4/1 shot as E/w . Could never understand that. I rate Hugh Taylor , Pricewise(Tom Segal) and kieranoconnellracing.com.
    On saying that I do always take a look at what Gary is tipping. He will only have his last winner highlighted on top. Gary actually phones his stuff in where as Hugh actually uploads his directly to the site.

are you sure his results are in a minus? I would rather doubt that.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Was that the guy that used to tip for the daily star? He was rediculous if its the same person

He tips up a horse every race of everyday, nearly all favorites and boasts he is Europe's top tipster.

Gary is very good at Dundalk i always keep an eye on his tips for Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Gary does not show his results as they are on a minus over the last few years

Lol. He's up a ridiculous percentage in the last few years.
    and he also tips 4/1 shot as E/w . Could never understand that.

That's because you dont understand bad e/w. You can hardly blame Gary for that.

It's very simple to evaluate a tipster. The good ones are the ones that move a price. Hence, when Pricewise, Taylor, O'Brien or Kevin Blake put up a bet, the price contracts. When Kieran O'Connell, Templegate, Flangan etc put up a tip, the price stays the same. The price moves for a reason, and it's not because hundreds of common mugs are coming in with their tenners on.

Advertisement