Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone interested in gaining a Maths qualification

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OliRic92

Hi all, I graduated from the Science Education degree in UL last year (the Physics & Chemistry one) and did 2 modules of Science Maths in first year, as well as a Vectors in 3rd year. I contacted the TC about the OU route and they informed me that I need to complete 4 modules with the OU -MST124, MST125, M140 & M208, which is one more than what was mentioned here.

Is that correct or have they changed things?

They also said I needed to have 12 ECTS credits in Maths before I could do this route which I guess I have with the Science Maths, but knowing them they could end up screwing me over. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OliRic92 wrote: »
    Hi all, I graduated from the Science Education degree in UL last year (the Physics & Chemistry one) and did 2 modules of Science Maths in first year, as well as a Vectors in 3rd year. I contacted the TC about the OU route and they informed me that I need to complete 4 modules with the OU -MST124, MST125, M140 & M208, which is one more than what was mentioned here.

Is that correct or have they changed things?

They also said I needed to have 12 ECTS credits in Maths before I could do this route which I guess I have with the Science Maths, but knowing them they could end up screwing me over. :p

The names of the OU modules changed in the last year or so. I'd imagine one of them is also on statistics to reflect the changes brought in with Project Maths.

If you have 12 ECTS in Maths from UL then it shouldn't be a problem. Maths is one of the more straightforward add ons.

The names of the OU modules changed in the last year or so. I'd imagine one of them is also on statistics to reflect the changes brought in with Project Maths.

If you have 12 ECTS in Maths from UL then it shouldn't be a problem. Maths is one of the more straightforward add ons.

Cool cool, thanks a million! :) Great thread by the way, very informative.

I just saw that the requirements for adding on subjects to a degree seem to be changing in January 2017...I wonder would that affect adding Maths using the OU. :$

OliRic92 wrote: »
    Cool cool, thanks a million! :) Great thread by the way, very informative.

I just saw that the requirements for adding on subjects to a degree seem to be changing in January 2017...I wonder would that affect adding Maths using the OU. :$

Depends how fast you get them done!!

Or more realistically, if you can afford to do a few at a time.

M140 - Oct 15/ Jan 16
    MST124 Oct 15/ Jan 16
    MST125 Oct 15/ Jan 16
    M208 - Oct 15

Well these are the start dates for the modules which could be completed before 2017. If you start in October you finish in June. If you start in Jan you finish in September.

M208 is the problem module there as there is only one start per year.

Having said that, a lot of it is on proofs and mathematical logic from what I remember.

If you were willing to put in the work and could afford it you could register for one of the M1 modules and M208 for Oct 15 and have them finished next June. you could also register to start the other two M1 modules in Jan 16, so there would be an overlap of a few months where you would be doing a hell of a lot of maths.

Or you could take a gamble that they will accept the modules as is in 2017 and spread them out a bit more.

If the TC don't accept add ons as they are, there will be very few teachers able to do add ons in the future.

Depends how fast you get them done!!

Or more realistically, if you can afford to do a few at a time.

M140 - Oct 15/ Jan 16
    MST124 Oct 15/ Jan 16
    MST125 Oct 15/ Jan 16
    M208 - Oct 15

Well these are the start dates for the modules which could be completed before 2017. If you start in October you finish in June. If you start in Jan you finish in September.

M208 is the problem module there as there is only one start per year.

Having said that, a lot of it is on proofs and mathematical logic from what I remember.

If you were willing to put in the work and could afford it you could register for one of the M1 modules and M208 for Oct 15 and have them finished next June. you could also register to start the other two M1 modules in Jan 16, so there would be an overlap of a few months where you would be doing a hell of a lot of maths.

Or you could take a gamble that they will accept the modules as is in 2017 and spread them out a bit more.

If the TC don't accept add ons as they are, there will be very few teachers able to do add ons in the future.

Thank you so much for all the information, you're great! :) I'm really considering what you're saying about staggering the modules like that...

I'm currently teaching Physics and LC Ordinary Level Maths and it would be great to have it as a subject...but that M208 module looks tricky, I just hope I'd be able for all the Maths. :$

I think I will ring the TC to find out what the story about add-ons is, and to see if they will still accept them....although, what are the odds that I will get through to someone who knows what they are talking about?!

• Advertisement

My experience with OU is that when you sign up for Autumn start modules that you get the books a few weeks in advance. I got mine a few weeks early and while you are given a schedule that you realistically have to stick to, I started the M1 modules early so I got a head start and gave myself more time on the M2 modules. Also I gave a lot of my time during school holidays to catch up/get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Hi
    Does anyone on here know where one could do a module in geometry [with aim of becoming a maths teacher]?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

mick kk wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone on here know where one could do a module in geometry [with aim of becoming a maths teacher]?

Thanks in advance

I would think any university would be happy to let you sit a geometry exam which could be forwarded to the TC for registration. Did you get your qualifications assessed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

Hey guys, is there any update on the open university maths modules that you need to complete to be recognised by the teaching council? Any prerequisites that I should be aware of? I would have had very little maths in my commerce degree.

This part has confused me. Is there a minimum maths requirement in all undergrads before the teaching council allows you to use The Open University?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

theglobe wrote: »
    Hey guys, is there any update on the open university maths modules that you need to complete to be recognised by the teaching council? Any prerequisites that I should be aware of? I would have had very little maths in my commerce degree.

It would all hinge on what the TC says.

If you are in a school and teaching maths then this free course is still open for registration (2yrs part time). http://www.ul.ie/eps/sites/default/files/Professional%20Diploma%20in%20Mathematics%20for%20Teaching%20_%20Brochure%202016%20FINAL.pdf

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It would all hinge on what the TC says.

If you are in a school and teaching maths then this free course is still open for registration (2yrs part time). http://www.ul.ie/eps/sites/default/files/Professional%20Diploma%20in%20Mathematics%20for%20Teaching%20_%20Brochure%202016%20FINAL.pdf

Thanks. So they decide on a case by case basis? I am not teaching maths at present but was looking to do the Hibernia and study maths separately while doing it.

Thanks. So they decide on a case by case basis? I am not teaching maths at present but was looking to do the Hibernia and study maths separately while doing it.

Yes you have to be teaching (and a qualified teacher of any subject + principal's signature). The DIT also do a part time maths degree but that'd be a long road before getting to ordinary level degree (3 I think!). 3 years can fly though.

Yes you have to be teaching (and a qualified teacher of any subject + principal's signature). The DIT also do a part time maths degree but that'd be a long road before getting to ordinary level degree (3 I think!). 3 years can fly though.

Hopefully very fast :D If the TC told me that I could do it through the Open University that's probably the route I'd take. But I'm not sure if I'll be allowed with just my commerce degree with hardly no maths.:(

Hopefully very fast :D If the TC told me that I could do it through the Open University that's probably the route I'd take. But I'm not sure if I'll be allowed with just my commerce degree with hardly no maths.:(

You'd just have to contact the Tc and they would assess your degree and see what maths you have done, then they'd recommend certain modules from OU.
    If you don't have much maths they might just recommend you do a degree, consider the costs of a degree from OU also, it can be the most expensive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you're near Dublin do the DIT degree. 3 years will fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'm a science teacher and want to add maths to my degree. I've just 2 5 credit modules done in my degree.
    I was pretty set on doing the 2 year part time free course in UL but am just thinking about the Open University course now.
    Obviously the open university course costs but it seems shorter. Are there any other major differences between the 2?

doc_17 wrote: »
    If you're near Dublin do the DIT degree. 3 years will fly

Unfortunately I'm in Cork.

You'd just have to contact the Tc and they would assess your degree and see what maths you have done, then they'd recommend certain modules from OU.
    If you don't have much maths they might just recommend you do a degree, consider the costs of a degree from OU also, it can be the most expensive option.

Do they recommend or force you? My plan to do the Hibernia alongside the Open University seems a lot more viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Unfortunately I'm in Cork.

Could you do the course from UL? The Cork branch is based in CIT.

• Advertisement

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Could you do the course from UL? The Cork branch is based in CIT.

The problem is by the time I'm qualified there's a good chance it would be gone, according to a friend of mine. Plus I'd be delaying everything that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I'm a science teacher and want to add maths to my degree. I've just 2 5 credit modules done in my degree.
    I was pretty set on doing the 2 year part time free course in UL but am just thinking about the Open University course now.
    Obviously the open university course costs but it seems shorter. Are there any other major differences between the 2?
    I'm just starting the OU option to add maths in September. From the research I've done in to it and from talking to the people that run the module it will take roughly 3 years to complete the modules required as I'm working full time as well. Of course this could be completed quicker if you aren't working full time as well but its just another thing to think about.

Have you checked it with the Tc also?

Do the Tc look for maths pedagogical modules now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Do the Tc look for maths pedagogical modules now?

They do! On their subject declaration form they state that 5 credits of the 120 credits teacher education (PME) should have a module related to the teaching of Maths.

*Angel* wrote: »
    They do! On their subject declaration form they state that 5 credits of the 120 credits teacher education (PME) should have a module related to the teaching of Maths.

I thought that change was coming in Jan 2017? I only ask because I got Applied Maths added to my TC registration during the week and wasn't asked for pedagogy module. Granted the requirement for pedagogy modules probably applies for anyone currently looking at add on subjects if they are not going to be finished by December 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

So are colleges going to run specific subject pedagogies part time for those adding on subjects?

So are colleges going to run specific subject pedagogies part time for those adding on subjects?

Only if there is a demand I'd imagine. There are so many teachers looking for different module combinations to get an add on subject, all from different colleges. Maths anecdotally seems to be the most popular add on, but I can't imagine any college would have a large number of part time students studying on a modular basis that would warrant providing subject specific pedagogy modules.

I was studying part time for an add on 2 years ago and was keen to complete before 2017 to avoid this specific problem.

Does anyone have a link to the 2017 thing that's being mentioned?

Edit: Sorry I think this is it :Subject-Requirments-after-January-2017.pdf

• Advertisement

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/FAQs/Post-primary-Qualification-Assessment/

Which curricular subjects require you to complete a specific methodology/elective in the subject as part of your initial teacher education programme?

While the Teaching Council would expect that student teachers would complete a teaching methodology course in their teaching subject as part of their teacher education qualification, this may not be possible in some cases. There are however a number of subjects where it is compulsory. They are: Art, CSPE, Music, Religious Education, Physical Education, Engineering (Metalwork - Junior Cert), Technology, Technical Drawing, Home Economics and Construction Studies.

For teachers registering after 1 January 2017 a teaching methodology will also be compulsory for the following subjects: Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics & Chemistry and Agricultural Science.

Seemingly the change only applies to Science and Maths. I stand corrected, however the vast majority of subjects are listed above. Languages require a 3 month stint living in the country where that language is spoken, so without subject methodology modules it looks like English, Irish, History and Geography will be some of the few subjects that will not have this add on in 2017.

Advertisement